The Beauty Of The Changing Seasons

Canna, 420 was a sign! :high-five::passitleft:

a bonus of not mowing my lawn

Wild_flower.jpg

Behind the flower there appears to be a tunnel through the undegrowth, there is a Hedgehog living in next doors' wildlife area, am I missing some nocturnal activity?

Anyone got any ideas what the flower is?

Is it a trumpet flower?

Do you make use of the aloe?

In various ways!
It makes a nice stand in for cloning gel.
It's, of course, handy for burns and cuts.
Lastly, but most important for the moment... I hand it out to scantily clad little sunburned girls leaving Jazzfest. Sometime I get lucky and they take a moment to apply it to their red shoulders in front of me. Of course, the misses is quick with a rib poke... but it's well worth it.

In various ways!
Lastly, but most important for the moment... I hand it out to scantily clad little sunburned girls leaving Jazzfest. Sometime I get lucky and they take a moment to apply it to their red shoulders in front of me. Of course, the misses is quick with a rib poke... but it's well worth it.

My wife mentioned today, 2018 Nola Jazz Fest !!!!

And to stay on topic .... tulips and deer

20160424_144424-1.jpg

20160424_144441-1.jpg

20160424_080510-1.jpg

In various ways!
Will you give me a quick run down of how you use aloe for cloning gel? We'd love to use something more natural if at all possible. If it's not something that should be posted in this journal, will you please pm me. We had 8 clones we used the powder with, and they did not take root. 8. I would have thought 50% of the clones would have taken to the soil.

Will you give me a quick run down of how you use aloe for cloning gel? We'd love to use something more natural if at all possible. If it's not something that should be posted in this journal, will you please pm me. We had 8 clones we used the powder with, and they did not take root. 8. I would have thought 50% of the clones would have taken to the soil.

Oh sure... it's quite simple.
The leaf of the Aloe plant is thick and full of clear-ish gel. I just cut a bit of the Aloe... probably about 4 inches in length... and squeeze the goo into whatever water I water the clones with (bubble cloner, peat pucks, perlite... whatever). Simple.
I can't point to a source, but I remember reading somewhere that it's a natural source for the hormones that are in cloning products.

The leaf of the Aloe plant is thick and full of clear-ish gel. I just cut a bit of the Aloe... probably about 4 inches in length... and squeeze the goo into whatever water I water the clones with (bubble cloner, peat pucks, perlite... whatever). Simple.
I can't point to a source, but I remember reading somewhere that it's a natural source for the hormones that are in cloning products.
Great info! Thank you very much!

Great in! Thank you very much!

I've found that cloning is something that takes quite a balance of light, moisture and most of all, patience. I finally got roots on my last 3 cuts in a DIY bucket. I use a rooting gel but I'm sure aloe is just as good.

It just takes time and attention. Be patient. It's a very vibrant plant but responds to love.

IMG_37417.JPG

Sorry for the hijack Cannafan dear. I'm high and happy. :love:

Our beautiful lilacs are blooming. My favorite time of the year. These flowers smell so darn good!

1f8846be4191b12760f80e4fb9be6631.jpg

My all-time favorite spring smell. There used to be a monster heirloom bush at the end of the alley about a block from my apartment that got cut down two years back, much to my sorrow. I used to be able to stop there on the way home and bury my nose in them. I'll have to find another in the area. Beautiful picture Canna. :love:

Aloe is also rich in saponins, which help to make the water more easily absorbed into the planting medium. So it helps with absorption and retaining of water, making it a good thing to add to your waterings.

You can also soak seeds prior to planting or, alternatively, slice a fillet of aloe open and set the seeds in there to hydrate instead of soaking in water.

I add aloe to every drench. I purchase it in flake form at 200x strength for easy storage and mixing. It's indispensable in LOS.

I'm going to have to look into the Aloe flakes! Sounds like a simple way to add the aloe. Thanks for your help Sue!

You're welcome Canna. :battingeyelashes: I used to buy the powder, but it was nearly impossible to mix, even with the potassium silicate added. When I ordered last time they sent me flakes. I think Jeremy may have changed suppliers because they probably got lots of complaints. I never worried about it myself because clumps or dissolved it was all going into the soil and from there on out it was managed by the biota.

Back
Top Bottom