The Beauty Of The Changing Seasons

Short challenge today. Find Dumble-Bee in these two pics:

dumble_bee_2.jpg

dumble_bee_1.jpg

I call it "Dumble-Bee" because it kept falling off the flowers when it landed. :laugh:
It was either drunk on pollen, or its allergic. Lol

Short challenge today. Find Dumble-Bee in these two pics:

dumble_bee_2.jpg

dumble_bee_1.jpg

I call it "Dumble-Bee" because it kept falling off the flowers when it landed. :laugh:

That is funny about the bee. I used to keep a couple of hives of bees until one of the neighbors freaked out. I still have a cement bowl filled with small rocks and water so the "girls" that come to my yard can get a drink in the summer.

I've got strawberry plants scattered in a planter outside. I never seem to get them before the danged birds do. I think I'm going to transplant to an area I can cover. The leaves on yours are rich and gorgeous!

:circle-of-love:

I just retired a year ago, so am spending time learning about high brix gardening for my veggies and my herb in my basement. I had a soil test done and ordered up the supplies from Doc Bud. So far I like how the strawberries are doing with the products. We will see how the rest do. I just transplanted the seedling starts this last weekend.
I have squirrels that steal my tomatoes. They also dug up all my garlic starts last fall and I had to replant and put a net on that bed.

I've got strawberry plants scattered in a planter outside. I never seem to get them before the danged birds do. I think I'm going to transplant to an area I can cover. The leaves on yours are rich and gorgeous!

:circle-of-love:

I've read online - strawberries that turn yellow when ripe don't attract the birds as they wait for the red color. Also white and purple, but most people prefer the taste of the yellows.

I've read online - strawberries that turn yellow when ripe don't attract the birds as they wait for the red color. Also white and purple, but most people prefer the taste of the yellows.

I have never heard of yellow strawberries. I had to google them. They look interesting, may need to try them. I am not worried about the birds so much, just those dang tree rats. May get some mouse traps and modify them to not break their legs, just scare the crap out of them.

I have never heard of yellow strawberries. I had to google them. They look interesting, may need to try them. I am not worried about the birds so much, just those dang tree rats. May get some mouse traps and modify them to not break their legs, just scare the crap out of them.

Tree rats are very persistent. One little scare is probably good for 2-3 minutes max.

Boy do I know how persistent tree rats are. I fought with them all winter over the bird feeders. Our city does not allow us to harm or trap them. They will allow us to hire pest control companies to trap and kill them, but that is money I do not have to spend. I do not want to put nets on 7 raised beds and various large planters. I need to find another way.

I'm gonna try one of those plastic owls like you see in home garden supplies and put it on a pole so it moves around with the wind. See if that keeps the tree rats away.

I read up on our local neighborhood rats and they are not native. So I could trap them, but you cannot relocate them, you have to off them and you need a permit to do it. Maybe I will try the owl.

I read up on our local neighborhood rats and they are not native. So I could trap them, but you cannot relocate them, you have to off them and you need a permit to do it. Maybe I will try the owl.

Would be great if we could rig up a motion detector that would trigger a sound file.

Squirrel sneaks in......sees the owl....stops and watches for a while....he's hungry....takes a chance and walks closer to the fruit...suddenly hears,

"BEAT IT TREE RAT!!!!!!"

......Heart pounding through his chest as he makes the great escape :laugh:

Would be great if we could rig up a motion detector that would trigger a sound file.

Squirrel sneaks in......sees the owl....stops and watches for a while....he's hungry....takes a chance and walks closer to the fruit...suddenly hears,

"BEAT IT TREE RAT!!!!!!"

......Heart pounding through his chest as he makes the great escape :laugh:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have never heard of yellow strawberries, never seen any for sale either. I'm going to look into those, maybe I can talk Mom into planting some in her garden....so I can sneak in and pilfer some. LOL

Someone said the tree rats are stealing their tomatoes??? They will eat damn near anything, won't they?
I think I posted a pic here last year of a squirrel stealing a full piece of pizza from a parking lot from the Seagulls. He took it up a nearby tree and it was bigger than he was. But he chowed down on it. LOL

I am posting a link available by searching "lowes garden treasures plastic squirrel hopper bird feeder"

We have used this feeder ona shephard's hook for 3 years without the squirrels getting seed from it. We hand feed the squirrels peanuts at breakfast time and they eat off the deck alongside doves, jays, cardinals, etc BUT they can't scoop seeds out of the feeder. The weight of a squirrel closes the feeder doors.

Titmouse, bluebirds, nutchatches, yellow finches, etc have no problem eating the seeds.

Shop Garden Treasures Plastic Squirrel-Resistant Hopper Bird Feeder at Lowe's

P.S. We feed hot pepper suet in the suet feeders. Woodpeckers and bluebirds love it. Squirrels can't stand the heat.

Electrical wires. Insulation. Siding. I had to install some metal flashing to keep them out of one corner of the roof.

Bitches!

Yeah, I know what you mean. During the hard winters they dig into my gutter system trying to get the acorns from the fall trees, keep me awake for hours digging above the bedroom window. So far they haven't gotten into the "attic" area, but it's only a matter of time I 'spose.

I've got them in every color out here, and they all co-exist like they're best buddies. Pretty sure one is hanging around in the garage, I'd rather that than the skunks! :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom