"The Beast" gets serious!

Re: "The Beast" FryingPanFlyer gets serious!

Hey there Fry, Sounds like a whisper shouldn't be too bad. I was wondering though, are you only running the one fan in the ducting line? If so, it's pulling from the room, AND pushing out ducting, no? if so, how many feet total (EST.) of ducting are you running?

...I tried to go abck and look, but couldn't find it... DAMN YOU CINDY99!!!

Hey there Fry, Sounds like a whisper shouldn't be too bad. I was wondering though, are you only running the one fan in the ducting line? If so, it's pulling from the room, AND pushing out ducting, no? if so, how many feet total (EST.) of ducting are you running?

...I tried to go abck and look, but couldn't find it... DAMN YOU CINDY99!!!

About 25', 5' of flex, 6' of hoods and 14' of rigid duct. It seems pretty good now, but I was on jury duty all day and couldn't monitor it.

I'm thingking I'll add an inline if needed, but I need to monitor it to check out if I need it.

Right now I need supper, that jury duty was about as boring as it gets.

About 25', 5' of flex, 6' of hoods and 14' of rigid duct. It seems pretty good now, but I was on jury duty all day and couldn't monitor it.

I'm thingking I'll add an inline if needed, but I need to monitor it to check out if I need it.

Right now I need supper, that jury duty was about as boring as it gets.

Damn, I'm sorry man. I just had to do that on the 3rd. what a bullshit deal.
stupid juryduty.

Your running 25' on 1 fan? Thats definatly part of the prob. with that much duct you'd definatly want to run one on (or near ) each end. Well, I guess if it's working then it's working, but another would really help you out. Centrifugal fans will pull better in duct, but your still losing a shitload of airflow with only one fan. not a cheap fix though.

you can find a way around that, and sounds like your pulling it off!! WOOHOO!!

Damn, I'm sorry man. I just had to do that on the 3rd. what a bullshit deal.
stupid juryduty.

Your running 25' on 1 fan? Thats definatly part of the prob. with that much duct you'd definatly want to run one on (or near ) each end. Well, I guess if it's working then it's working, but another would really help you out. Centrifugal fans will pull better in duct, but your still losing a shitload of airflow with only one fan. not a cheap fix though.

you can find a way around that, and sounds like your pulling it off!! WOOHOO!!

Actually, it's not working, I got home today and it's 89 in there. It's so damn strange, my hydro guy is telling me his buddy is running 3- 1000w lights with a 50' duct run with a 4" high outpt can fan. At that rate I should be golden right? Hell, I feel I'm chopping holes in the side of my 3 year old house left and right and I'm not very pleased about it.

You're just hearing some frustration, sorry man. Back to work I guess.

Actually, it's not working, I got home today and it's 89 in there. It's so damn strange, my hydro guy is telling me his buddy is running 3- 1000w lights with a 50' duct run with a 4" high outpt can fan. At that rate I should be golden right? Hell, I feel I'm chopping holes in the side of my 3 year old house left and right and I'm not very pleased about it.

You're just hearing some frustration, sorry man. Back to work I guess.

Fry, I don't think that fan is big enough to efficiently cool 3 1000's. When I was purchasing my setup I did alot of research on fans and I ended up getting the Vortex 6" 440 CFM. That is for one 600W, granted I have a speed controller. I really think your problems will be solved with a bigger fan. Hydro shop guys always have a great story to tell from my experience!

Fry, I don't think that fan is big enough to efficiently cool 3 1000's. When I was purchasing my setup I did alot of research on fans and I ended up getting the Vortex 6" 440 CFM. That is for one 600W, granted I have a speed controller. I really think your problems will be solved with a bigger fan. Hydro shop guys always have a great story to tell from my experience!

You know, when I first started planning this thing I was working with an 8" fan behind the lights pulling through them knowing that the fans work best pulling rather than pushing. Well the hydro guy first tells me he's using the 4", my partner is tryng to cheap out but I refuse to go below 6". Then he says push rather Than pulling the hot air brought the fan. I'm beginning to wonder If anything he has told me is worth anything.

This is one more time where I changed my mind because of something somene who "knew more than I do" told me to do. I'm not a happy camper, do you know what it would take for me to move that fan to the other end now? Ain't gonna happen, best I can do now is add a 6" inline fan at the end for a booster.

You know, when I first started planning this thing I was working with an 8" fan behind the lights pulling through them knowing that the fans work best pulling rather than pushing. Well the hydro guy first tells me he's using the 4", my partner is tryng to cheap out but I refuse to go below 6". Then he says push rather Than pulling the hot air brought the fan. I'm beginning to wonder If anything he has told me is worth anything.

This is one more time where I changed my mind because of something somene who "knew more than I do" told me to do. I'm not a happy camper, do you know what it would take for me to move that fan to the other end now? Ain't gonna happen, best I can do now is add a 6" inline fan at the end for a booster.

Yeah I was thinking about the pulling/pushing thing too! These fans were meant to pull, not push. They still work, just not as efficiently. The booster fan might do the trick to help push the air up and out.

This is off the Progressive Growth website:

Progressive Growth Hydroponics Grow Room Designs Advanced Nutrients, Grow Lights, Fans, Hydroponic Equipement, Indoor garden, Phosphoload, Hydroponic Systems

I was trying to find the chart I saw during my original research(no luck). They are pushing as well, but using an 8" fan (747 cfm) and only two lights.

Unfortunately changing to 8" now isn't an option, hoods are all 6" too adding a fan is the best next step, boosting with another, say, 180 cfm wll help a lot.

Plus I need to smooth the bends, hard ducting those bends will help keep them open. That first section of flex after the fan is inflated pretty hard, the fan is pushing good, but by the time it goes through the lights it has slowed. The 90's first, I've already got 2, need 4.

Unfortunately changing to 8" now isn't an option, hoods are all 6" too adding a fan is the best next step, boosting with another, say, 180 cfm wll help a lot.

Plus I need to smooth the bends, hard ducting those bends will help keep them open. That first section of flex after the fan is inflated pretty hard, the fan is pushing good, but by the time it goes through the lights it has slowed. The 90's first, I've already got 2, need 4.

Well hopefully the booster fan will be a cheap fix for you! I wonder if putting it up in the attic toward the end would be better?

You need a fan of equal CFM output on the intake. You ALWAYS should run 2 fans, one pushing and one pulling in a scenario with alot of duct. back in my hydroshop days I would recommend 465cfm minimum per 1000w with little ducting, and dual 465 or more for alot of ducting. With that much ducting I wouldn't be surprised if your loosing almost 75% of your CFM value of the fan. It'll make for a noisier exhaust running 2, but with a muffler (I believe you can DIY a muffler) you can quiet it with not too much loss of air flow, but you'll see a huge increase in airflow and cooling capabilities with one on intake And exhaust...

,,,,,,just an Idea tho...............off to the jungle...

Well hopefully the booster fan will be a cheap fix for you! I wonder if putting it up in the attic toward the end would be better?

You need a fan of equal CFM output on the intake. You ALWAYS should run 2 fans, one pushing and one pulling in a scenario with alot of duct. back in my hydroshop days I would recommend 465cfm minimum per 1000w with little ducting, and dual 465 or more for alot of ducting. With that much ducting I wouldn't be surprised if your loosing almost 75% of your CFM value of the fan. It'll make for a noisier exhaust running 2, but with a muffler (I believe you can DIY a muffler) you can quiet it with not too much loss of air flow, but you'll see a huge increase in airflow and cooling capabilities with one on intake And exhaust...

,,,,,,just an Idea tho...............off to the jungle...

Jas, you're probably right, but for today I'm going to get the cheap inline fan, I just don't want to spend the $300. But who knows, I'll probably just end up spending $350 then right?

Today I clean up the ducting and add the 6" inline after the lights pulling to see what that will do. It's only $50 so what the heck, can't hurt. If that doesn't work the high volume fan goes on.

I just wish I had listened to myself from day one, turns out I was right. So, I'll let you know how this works. I just can't see how these guys are getting the one 4" high output to work when I can't get the 6" to work for me. And then of course to hear from you Jasonlee, WTF!

I hear ya man, Ventillation can be a big pain in the arse.

Sorry if I got on your nerves, just B**chslap me. I'm more or less thinking out loud.

Are you running the Canfan RS6 H/O ? the one with the dimmerswitch on it?

I hear ya man, Ventillation can be a big pain in the arse.

Sorry if I got on your nerves, just B**chslap me. I'm more or less thinking out loud.

Are you running the Canfan RS6 H/O ? the one with the dimmerswitch on it?

Hey man, no way are you getting on my nerves. I'm just a little frustrated and to be honest you are right! I got a chance to talk to my buddy this morning, I don't hink he's ready to spend he money on another can fan yet, so we'll go with the inline for now. But I'm planning to hang another high output at the outlet.

This fan doesn't have to dimmer, it moves like 420 cfm.

...and is this what your talking about putting in line?

6" In Line Duct Fan,boost air flow

Yup, just like that one. My problem is once I switch to 12/12 the heat won't be an issue due to he cool nights. It 80 when I first get up in the morning, so I'm betting I'll be fine then. I just have to make it another three or four weeks.

Do you think this inline fan is a waste of money?

I'm sure you mention it somewhere... but what's the dimensions of the room, closed up?

And what's the ambient air temp of the air source peaking at?

Wouldn't be surprised if the updated ducting along with the booster fan takes care of you until flower. Then maybe a fan upgrade on the next grow. If I know you, you'll get it working without a doubt. I feel your frustration tho. Next time go with your gut and listen to yourself. You're the one with the killer nugs everyone else wants, so that tells me your a better more knowledgeable grower than they are.

I'm sure you mention it somewhere... but what's the dimensions of the room, closed up?

Funny you should ask. I was just thinking f a way to catalog the variables in this grow. Strains, location, etc. Keeping track of outside air temp, space temp, canopy temp.

There are varying degrees of rooting, some great and the plant is ready to pop with a good dose of nutes. And there are 5 or 6 that are only now starting to show roots.

I've made note of my frustration but as I look at the situation today, well the girls are looking pretty strong, several have some great roots started. I want to take pics of all and catalog them. Some don't have roots showing out of the rockwool yet, but looking at the stem all have roots, just not exposed yet.

I'm thinking it's time to put the push on the plants, start actively vegging them by cranking up the nutes step by step. I can't hold back the girls that are ready to step out and show their stuff, and I think the ones not showing will be helped by the nutes.

I need to get a couple shots of some of the roots, some are ready to rock and roll!

Sorry, I didn't come close to answering your question did I! Size, 5' wide, 10' long, 7'-6" tall, 375 cf.

I'll give some good temps soon, there are lots of way to look at temps, lots of places to measure. Lots of analysis to do.

Back
Top Bottom