"The Beast" gets serious!

Re: "The Beast" FryingPanFlyer gets serious!

Hey FPF, sorry to here about the heat problem! I am sure you can get it worked out. With a garden that big, you should run CO2 and then you could run higher temps. Stinkbud went from harvesting 14-15 oz per round, to over 20 oz with CO2. Those heat exchangers are nice, but you could get a nice CO2 setup for that price and get a return on your investment. I think you could upgrade to a bigger fan and be fine with the lighting. Like this:

Can MAX Fan 10" - 1023 cfm | Exhaust Fans & Circulators

We're definitely going to run co2, but until I get the heat problem worked out I can't button it up to contain the co2, especially right now, I'd pull it all out in minutes.

In my last post I mentioned I may not be getting to air to properly exhaust due to possibly poor attic ventilation, I'm about ready to put one of those wind turbines on the roof, that should do it. Hell, the more I think about it that's what I should do. My problem though is I can't get on the roof, too steep and with my knees not a very good idea.

If you have problems during the summer and run the A/C alot, like I do, then you could run a A/C duct into the garage for cooling purposes. Just an idea! They are easy and cheap to run and might help out alot.

If you have problems during the summer and run the A/C alot, like I do, then you could run a A/C duct into the garage for cooling purposes. Just an idea! They are easy and cheap to run and might help out alot.

I've got the house plumbed for a/c, but I haven't bought the compressor. To be honest, that's $2,000 I just don't have right now, but that may be what I need to do.

What about a window ac fabricate a opening. Cheap and I know they work my buddy cut a hole in his wall stuck a 169.00 ac unit and dropped his temps by 13 degrees.

We're definitely going to run co2, but until I get the heat problem worked out I can't button it up to contain the co2, especially right now, I'd pull it all out in minutes.

In my last post I mentioned I may not be getting to air to properly exhaust due to possibly poor attic ventilation, I'm about ready to put one of those wind turbines on the roof, that should do it. Hell, the more I think about it that's what I should do. My problem though is I can't get on the roof, too steep and with my knees not a very good idea.

I have a CO2 setup and haven't used it for the same reason. I have yet to seal the closet off and it would all be sucked out by the fans.

Your probably right about the attic, without that circulation it gets hot quick. I used to grow in one years ago and it got HOT! Are you drawing your intake air from the attic too?

What about a window ac fabricate a opening. Cheap and I know they work my buddy cut a hole in his wall stuck a 169.00 ac unit and dropped his temps by 13 degrees.

I have thought of that, but it's my garage so it would be tough to explain that one to my neighbors! Plus the house is only 3 years old, I really don't want to chop it up that much.

I have a CO2 setup and haven't used it for the same reason. I have yet to seal the closet off and it would all be sucked out by the fans.

Your probably right about the attic, without that circulation it gets hot quick. I used to grow in one years ago and it got HOT! Are you drawing your intake air from the attic too?

I'm bringing the air through the wall from the outside so it is fresh. But that was my clue, it's just not blowing that hard even though it moves 210 cfm. I feel there is back pressure and that's why I suspect it's due to poor attic ventilation.

I'll get up into the attic as soon as I finish my lunch.

Say hey I want my garage to be a little cooler this summer when I am out in there and u would be suprised how well they can look trimmed with wood/siding around to match the house. All things considered, if any one could make it work it's FPF.

Say hey I want my garage to be a little cooler this summer when I am out in there and u would be suprised how well they can look trimmed with wood/siding around to match the house. All things considered, if any one could make it work it's FPF.

Thanks man, and it is still on the list. I'll work on finishing th vent first, hopefully that will surprise me and actually work.

I just need to get through veg, once I go to flower I'll do it at night and everything should run cooler. But I've already lost 2 weeks due to the lousy clones, I need to get nutes into the res, but there are still a few with no roots showing yet.

After reading all the latest posts, I think you are on to something about the back pressure. You're pumping all that air up into the attic and it has no place to go. I'd put money down that a good attic fan will fix your problem. The question now is how big of an attic fan will you need? If you use one of those passive spinning type vents, it may not be able to keep up with the flow. So temps may go down a little, but an actual exhaust fan would probably do it better. So again, how to figure the appropriate size fan to do the job. Matching CFM to the fan in the grow room? Or bigger because it also needs to vent the "normal" heat generated up there without you pumping any extra heat from the lights.

Better to be a participant than a bystander. (after its over)

After reading all the latest posts, I think you are on to something about the back pressure. You're pumping all that air up into the attic and it has no place to go. I'd put money down that a good attic fan will fix your problem. The question now is how big of an attic fan will you need? If you use one of those passive spinning type vents, it may not be able to keep up with the flow. So temps may go down a little, but an actual exhaust fan would probably do it better. So again, how to figure the appropriate size fan to do the job. Matching CFM to the fan in the grow room? Or bigger because it also needs to vent the "normal" heat generated up there without you pumping any extra heat from the lights.

You've got a point there. Last night I ran into a buddy that's a mechanical contractor, he can size somehing for me no problem, that's what he does. My problem is I can't afford to hire him so Hopefully he'll in trade.

I've anted to avoid an active fan up there, no way do I want to penetrate the roof, I'm not hiring a roofer to patch my but I'm not going up there either. But you are right, either an attic fan or take the duct all the way outside.

Hey, be honest now, did you really know the Country Joe song or did you search his lyrics? That song came out when you were 8 years old. Not trying to get out of the Sour D bud, but damn man, you blew me away.

You know me to well, naturally I just googled it. :rofl:
60's and 70's music is some of my favorites. I'll take a little Slow Hand any time.
But honestly, I didn't really expect you to send bud out to me anyway!! (and I still don't - that's just asking for trouble)

I just had another thought about the attic. Yes finishing the duct run through the attic and out would probably be good, but if the duct blew into the attic and then you had a fan venting the entire attic, wouldn't that actually help lower the ambient temp of the whole garage?

You know me to well, naturally I just googled it. :rofl:
60's and 70's music is some of my favorites. I'll take a little Slow Hand any time.
But honestly, I didn't really expect you to send bud out to me anyway!! (and I still don't - that's just asking for trouble)

I just had another thought about the attic. Yes finishing the duct run through the attic and out would probably be good, but if the duct blew into the attic and then you had a fan venting the entire attic, wouldn't that actually help lower the ambient temp of the whole garage?

I think what's happening in the attc is that it doesn't have enough room to let let air out so the attc is pressurized and reducing the amount of air I can pump in. At least I hope that's what it is because that's a relatively easy fix.

I'll try that one first and think about the next step if it doesn't. I hope I don't have to go to a/c.

Hey, I was posting this in another thread when I realized it was most appropriate in my own thread. you people, want to know why I'm the Frying Pan Flyer? Well her it is:

Excellent, Excellent, Excellent bro. Yes, I love the big birds of prey.

I chose the Red-Tailed Hawk as my personal avatar one day when I was working in my cabin about 7 miles up the Frying Pan River outside of Basalt, Colorado.

I'm an Architect, I was staring at the monitor when something flew past the corner of my eye, right outside of the window.

I went out on the front porch, I made the pups stay inside, I knew something special was happening here. I saw these two Red-tailed Hawks chasing each other, circling up higher and higher. Finally, when they had reached 500' or 600' they locked talons, falling out of the sky like Maple tree seeds.

They dropped to about 50', released, spread their wings and flew off. I had just witnessed a pair of Red-tailed Hawks mating, a very rare sight indeed! But I had just witnessed it, this is why I call myself FryingPanFlyer and use the Red-Tailed Hawk as my avatar.

I also fly gliders trying to imitate those magnificent beings! These big birds fascinate me!

GET OUT!!!!!!!

I saw the same thing! But I can't tell you what type of hawk, It was 2 years ago.

It was a beautiful late Spring day, I was working on a re-glazing job on this cabin that is out in the woods, I heard the screeching of the birds and I looked up.

They were circling around going higher and then got up close and screeched again.. I thought they were fighting! So they did drop a little and flew off.

It was great to see something like that. I can feel your excitement :grinjoint:

I almost hit an Owl a couple nights ago.. Not really, it was about 30 feet ahead of me when it shot out of the woods about 10' off the ground and across the road..

Another time, I was..(sorry talking too much) but I have to tell you this one.:)

I was upstairs working on a the perfect roll:joint:so I realized when it was all done and rolled, that I needed to go out to my truck to get my lighter. This was about 10 or so in the PM..

I have motion sensors all over with lights and a loaded.. anyways, I walk outside and trip the first light which shows the way from my door down to the bottom of my stairs.. as I am walking toward the second point that I have set to go off at a certain spot (cause sometimes I like to sneak off to the woods and toke up) I hear my cat running toward me *I know his fat ass footprints*

The lights come on and I see MAX running to me and just behind his fat ass was the most beautiful owl just behind his ass. The best part is, is that I made eye contact with my cat first and then the owl!

The owl flew over my cat and up over my head.. we were only 5-6 feet away from each other.

I guess I could get off my ass and stop clogging up your journal with my stoned to the bone talk..

I'll look up owls in the N.W. part of CT and see what almost ate my cat.:reading420magazine:

GET OUT!!!!!!!

I saw the same thing! But I can't tell you what type of hawk, It was 2 years ago.

It was a beautiful late Spring day, I was working on a re-glazing job on this cabin that is out in the woods, I heard the screeching of the birds and I looked up.

They were circling around going higher and then got up close and screeched again.. I thought they were fighting! So they did drop a little and flew off.

It was great to see something like that. I can feel your excitement :grinjoint:

I almost hit an Owl a couple nights ago.. Not really, it was about 30 feet ahead of me when it shot out of the woods about 10' off the ground and across the road..

Another time, I was..(sorry talking too much) but I have to tell you this one.:)

I was upstairs working on a the perfect roll:joint:so I realized when it was all done and rolled, that I needed to go out to my truck to get my lighter. This was about 10 or so in the PM..

I have motion sensors all over with lights and a loaded.. anyways, I walk outside and trip the first light which shows the way from my door down to the bottom of my stairs.. as I am walking toward the second point that I have set to go off at a certain spot (cause sometimes I like to sneak off to the woods and toke up) I hear my cat running toward me *I know his fat ass footprints*

The lights come on and I see MAX running to me and just behind his fat ass was the most beautiful owl just behind his ass. The best part is, is that I made eye contact with my cat first and then the owl!

The owl flew over my cat and up over my head.. we were only 5-6 feet away from each other.

I guess I could get off my ass and stop clogging up your journal with my stoned to the bone talk..

I'll look up owls in the N.W. part of CT and see what almost ate my cat.:reading420magazine:

Yes, Yes, Yes, please post all of these stories as you can, I absolutely love this stuff! Don't worry about the journal, it is what it is, but your life stories will never be duplicated.

Thank you so much for sharing this, it's an incredible story. And as soon as you can, let me know what kind of owl this was.

We have neighborhood Owls here. Two are barn owls but not sure what the other one is. He/she shows up later in the season. Might be a horned. I know it's the biggest. They like to hang in my memosa tree just after sunset. I think they are hatching a plan for world domination!

Back
Top Bottom