Tead's Indoor-ish, Winter, Hempy, OGK, SOG

Yeh for me the problem time is at lights off. Exhaust runs off of the thermostat but the air outside is cold (and wet) so there’s no exchange during the ‘night’ period. Works out ok though because the dehum runs on a timer only during lights out -when I have power to spare.

We live in such diametrically opposed but equally odd words.
What kind of thermostat do you have for your fan? I'm in the market for one.

Jones, i use a couple of big "damp rid" buckets to lower humidity. They work pretty well and are fairly cheap. I rhink the ones i use are around $10 and last 4-6 months.

Always good to see Laz around. He's on the mend a bit I saw.
I've been thinking they would be too weak for the swamps, but have never kicked the tires on them. I might have to get some.

Hey @Tead what is the volume of your pvc hempy tubes? 2 gallons?

6L 1.5 gal.
Really, I think it has more to do with medium height rather than exact volume. In my experience, 12-16" high seems ideal. Mine are 12" tall and 6" round.

Howdy, just catching up on alot of reading. Hope im not to late to the show.
Hope you are doing great Tead!:surf:

Indeed I am thanks! It's a coolish day on the mean streets of NOLA. Been downtown enjoying the scene already today.
Welcome along... it's a friendly crowd as I'm sure you've noticed. The show is ongoing and there's always a warm seat around the fire.

Jones, i use a couple of big "damp rid" buckets to lower humidity. They work pretty well and are fairly cheap. I rhink the ones i use are around $10 and last 4-6 months.
Hmmm tht has me interested what are these buckets u speak of an where cud i get one or 3 lol.

Hmmm tht has me interested what are these buckets u speak of an where cud i get one or 3 lol.
I grab mine at the wally mart and ive seen em at other hardware stores and online of course. Its just Calcium Chloride in a 2 part bucket. It starts as a solid in the upper chamber and pulls moisture out of the air into itself. As it does this it melts down into the lower chamber. Once its all melted you replace it.
Could probably buy a big bag of CaCl2 and make your own for cheaper.
Tead, im not sure how they would do in the wetlands. My rh has been at the mid to high 60s and two large (maybe gallon size) buckets take my rh down to the mod to low 50s. Three would probably get me to the 40s.
Dehumidifier would make more sense in the long run but im about maxed on power draw and definitely maxed on space for more shit.

I grab mine at the wally mart and ive seen em at other hardware stores and online of course. Its just Calcium Chloride in a 2 part bucket. It starts as a solid in the upper chamber and pulls moisture out of the air into itself. As it does this it melts down into the lower chamber. Once its all melted you replace it.
Could probably buy a big bag of CaCl2 and make your own for cheaper.
Tead, im not sure how they would do in the wetlands. My rh has been at the mid to high 60s and two large (maybe gallon size) buckets take my rh down to the mod to low 50s. Three would probably get me to the 40s.
Dehumidifier would make more sense in the long run but im about maxed on power draw and definitely maxed on space for more shit.

Awesome thanx man ill be checking this out today now i got some free time lol

That's a probe outside in the shade. The RH is similar, tho slightly less due to the AC, and the Veg room runs around 82-84f while bloom stays around 79f. Both areas have stabilized quite a bit since the new boards. The lack of heat from lights really takes out the daytime spikes nicely. I don't think veg has exceeded 88f and bloom 82f since I put them in. This reflects a significant change towards stability and bodes well for their future implementation.

Here's the veg tent temps You can see how I repositioned the probe about 1/2 way thru the chart period. The daily swings are about 5 degrees and the evil sun and heat are still about. No RH data... the app is being flaky.
View media item 1602491
Despite the graph line activity, the range is very narrow and this really rates as a huge step up.

Here's an older graph from a cooler period of the year. Note the 10 degree swing even without the extreme summer temps.

I bet you’re using a lot less water now too eh?

One might think that, but the boosted horsepower associated with the boards has driven up growth rates, thus uptake.
I went from about 6gal to about 10gal. It's been incredible to watch. As you can see, it's not temp related, it's all uptake. So nice!

Busy morning. One project... clippy clippy.

DBS. Underlit during a good portion of it's life and maybe cut a touch early, but here she is none the less.

Awesome, it’s great to keep the old strains going.

I think I’m going to use your clone tub idea. Seems like a much better use of space then this large thing I got, thanks for sharing that!
:passitleft:

I have been reading all this talk about environment.

I have a different issue, my tents are always extremely arid, but if I turn my exhaust fans down then the temperatures spike up. I read somewhere about how vpd plays a big role in all of that.

But anyway I got to thinking about maybe setting up my exhaust fan to only come on when the temperature got to 85-90. That way I could let the humidity climb and also keep it from getting too hot.

Awesome, it’s great to keep the old strains going.

I think I’m going to use your clone tub idea. Seems like a much better use of space then this large thing I got, thanks for sharing that!
:passitleft:

I found those cubes at HD. I like 'em. In my sweaty world, one has to be careful about moisture on leaf surfaces during cloning. Be sure to keep them well below the top so water doesn't drip from the top onto them. It's best just to set them up and ignore them completely for 2 weeks... tho I always poke at them.

I have a different issue, my tents are always extremely arid, but if I turn my exhaust fans down then the temperatures spike up. I read somewhere about how vpd plays a big role in all of that.

But anyway I got to thinking about maybe setting up my exhaust fan to only come on when the temperature got to 85-90. That way I could let the humidity climb and also keep it from getting too hot.

Most of my environmental banter rotates around life in the swamplands. Desert hints have been unheard of until this point in time.
Fun ehh?
So... yeah... hint 1.... move to New Orleans. Your skin will thank you too.
I suspect you'll take a pass on that option.
Honestly... other than a humidifier, I got no real ideas.
Cooler lighting might help the issue some. Enclosing an HID or going with a cooler lighting type would be some options. That way you could run your fan less, but you'd still need a temp controller on it.

In the winter my area gets quite dry (like 30%rh) so i bought a little $6 reptile fogger and rigged up a 2gal bucket with a styrofoam island for the fogger to rest on and a pc fan to circulate the fog. It brings the rh up to around 55-60ish% and uses very little electricity. Works waaaay better than wet towels or open buckets of water. Mine finally died after 4 years of use and im going to purchase another for this winter, maybe. The new house has humidity controls so perhaps i wont have to.
Environment is so very important to getting the most out of what you have. Right up there with lights and nutes... Maybe even more important.

The longer I grow the more I realize just how important environmental control is to the success of the grow.

By the time I get to NOLA you’re gonna have that part of it all worked out, won’t you Tead? How sweet that I get to benefit from your lessons. :hug:

Can’t wait to see what your qbs can do. The change in your grow has been dramatic and inspirational. Let me know if the early harvest DBS turns out to me a little more head high with all that clear in the trichomes. Just curious. :battingeyelashes:

A friend told me yesterday my skin would love NOLA.

In the winter my area gets quite dry (like 30%rh) so i bought a little $6 reptile fogger and rigged up a 2gal bucket with a styrofoam island for the fogger to rest on and a pc fan to circulate the fog. It brings the rh up to around 55-60ish% and uses very little electricity. Works waaaay better than wet towels or open buckets of water. Mine finally died after 4 years of use and im going to purchase another for this winter, maybe. The new house has humidity controls so perhaps i wont have to.
Environment is so very important to getting the most out of what you have. Right up there with lights and nutes... Maybe even more important.
Yeah winter time, I get way down to 15-20% thc. I have done quite a few runs so far, and though I have pretty limited lighting, I have had a hunch that it is my humidity being so low that's really been holding me back.

Reptile fogger huh? Never heard of it but I might look into that. I tried a little room humidifier but it basically did nothing.

I found those cubes at HD. I like 'em. In my sweaty world, one has to be careful about moisture on leaf surfaces during cloning. Be sure to keep them well below the top so water doesn't drip from the top onto them. It's best just to set them up and ignore them completely for 2 weeks... tho I always poke at them.

Most of my environmental banter rotates around life in the swamplands. Desert hints have been unheard of until this point in time.
Fun ehh?
So... yeah... hint 1.... move to New Orleans. Your skin will thank you too.
I suspect you'll take a pass on that option.
Honestly... other than a humidifier, I got no real ideas.
Cooler lighting might help the issue some. Enclosing an HID or going with a cooler lighting type would be some options. That way you could run your fan less, but you'd still need a temp controller on it.
Yeah hoping this winter that with this 315w cmh I will be able to keep it on low and still remain in optimal temperature range.

Someone somewhere explained to me that it has to do with the outside air being so cold, like here were talking 32 and below and then it gets sucked into a 65f house, then it to a 75f grow space. So even if it started off at like 75% or even 100% rh outside, by the time it totally gets heated up to the tents temp it's usually well below 30%.

Back
Top Bottom