Tead's Indoor-ish, Winter, Hempy, OGK, SOG

24hr High/Low...

IMAG9615.jpg

Friggin crazy humidity swings! Covered the clones.

24hr High/Low...

IMAG9615.jpg

Friggin crazy humidity swings! Covered the clones.

Dang! That's quite a swing in 24 hours. Mother Nature likes to play with you, eh?

Yep.

I have an empty spot in my tent, because I wasn't vegging my girls large enough to be ready, because I didn't have enough soil ready.
There is always going to soil cooking in a perpetual - somehing I didn't really understand until my first harvest.

Working back from my flower room, the number I am working with right now is 10. 10 large fabric pots worth of soil: 4 in flower, 4(or 2) in veg, 2(or 4) cooking.

There are also several seedling pots in veg, but the soil comes out of the cooking soil and goes into the the large veg pots along with cooked soil, so I just count them as part of the cooking soil.

According to this plan, I need storage for just as much soil cooking as I have soil in the flower area. I also mix and amend soil after every harvest. I started out thinking of a perpetual grow using equal sized veg and flower areas. I now have to add in an equal sized soil area.

Right now, I'm trying to squeeze the soil cooking area into the veg and flower area. I don't know if the plan will work yet, but it's good to have a plan :)

Yeah.... it suddenly occurred to me that I need the 4 weeks to cook each pot of soil before using it again. As it is, I've misjudged the schedule and have too many plants right now, and one of my tents will sit empty for a month while I get the scheduling set to run more smoothly.

I swear, as much as I appreciate the produce the kit grows, the hempy pot is so much easier to run than all that soil. This little voice in the back of my head starts asking me why I choose the harder path when the Right Reverend Tead has introduced me to hempy, and hempy turned out to be so easy. I don't need a zillion totes of cooking soil and a chart to make sure I don't lose track of a batch for hempy. All I need is a pot, some perlite, some Osmo, water, and floor space under the lights.

Kinda makes you think, eh?

I would love to grow in the kit but my lack of space made hydro my only real choice and i can't say i am too sad about it. When you have it straight it grows big, high quality meds, fast.
Im thinking about trying some hempy grows. Sounds like a fun and interesting way to grow. Coco sounds pretty tempting too. Same shit, different inert media. lol. Almost switched to one of those on this grow but i couldnt give up on my dwc. These girls shoot up like rockets (or rock stars?) in those buckets!
Im telling you Sue, if the good rev. Tead can grow quality smoke in his climate, hydro must be something, right?
I know the stuff i grow in buckets of water sends me soaring. Can you tell?
Tead, those rh #s are nuts! I couldn't even begin to cope.

I get swings like that when I set down my sensor next to a plant I just watered :)

Nope... stuck to a chest freezer on my back porch.
It's odd down here. The cooler/dryer air pushes the gulf air out. Then the pattern reverses and the gumbo from the gulf settles back in.
Looks like cool dry air for a few days. I might even have to wear pants dammit!

I would love to grow in the kit but my lack of space made hydro my only real choice and i can't say i am too sad about it. When you have it straight it grows big, high quality meds, fast.
Im thinking about trying some hempy grows. Sounds like a fun and interesting way to grow. Coco sounds pretty tempting too. Same shit, different inert media. lol. Almost switched to one of those on this grow but i couldnt give up on my dwc. These girls shoot up like rockets (or rock stars?) in those buckets!
Im telling you Sue, if the good rev. Tead can grow quality smoke in his climate, hydro must be something, right?
I know the stuff i grow in buckets of water sends me soaring. Can you tell?
Tead, those rh #s are nuts! I couldn't even begin to cope.

Thanks baby!
The local world does present some challenges to say the least. It's a matter of bending with the breeze.

Give it a try. Ya know ya gots room for a little 2L bucket. I bet you can manage to put a hole in a 2L soda bottle and fill it with perlite (or whatever) and 6g of Osmo+.
It really is that simple. Easy action for a little side/test grow. Kick some tires and see what happens.
You might want to start in something other than coco. Coco seems to have some active action going that shifts PH some. Of course, I've not tried coco yet, so my words are based on other's words.

Pondering ideas of garden expansion lately.
While there are many possibilities, the lazy gardener will select the easiest.

Current bloom area is 3'x3.5' at 4' high -10.5 sqft - 42cf
New bloom design 4'x5' at 6' high - 20sqft - 120cf

My construction will be wood studs (2x2s) and insulation panels (black core with 1 side silvered).
Not sure what to do for a door yet. Maybe just a simple flap made of the silver double-bubble stuff.

This upgrade will allow for taller plants. I'll implement the PVC tubes for some larger plants.

Still pondering everything. The ideas are solidifying, but still only form thick oil.
How to setup the light venting and air extraction are both issues that are still very liquid.

Expansion sounds good :thumb:

I've never grown hydro in the 'DEEP SOUTH' myself.. Always outdoors where temps didn't really matter as much,,, but isn't it be hard to keep root temps cool? I mean what's the best temps for hydro? 70? I know roots fry at what 85 degrees? Or there abouts.. In soil they can reach the cooler areas in dirt.. But a small hydro,, I'd imagine heats up pretty fast.. Unless your growing okra,, alittle cooler temps are in order,, right? Now don't get me lying like I KNOW what I'm talking about... Is any of this making sense? I know afew people that did DWC outdoors but had to bring in a chiller unit..
Hey interesting reads and ideas seeing ya'll talk about 2-liter bottles.. Look up passive hydroponic wick systems with 2-liter bottles. Looks hella cool.. I had a friend,, he took large PVC pipe and drilled so he could thread a 2-liter bottle into it.. He cut the bottoms out and filled with Vermiculite and perlite,, setup a pump, res, and timer.. Pump wood fill the pipe and then soda bottles,, doing an ebb and flow grow.. But a simple wick thru the bottom into a resevior works well.. First time I ever seen a hydro setup was back in 75'. Dude had a wick setup out the bottom a 5 gallon water bottle into a res. He used sawdust and river gravel as his medium.. Back then wasn't any,, unless you made it yourself, things, like coco coir. Hell perlite wasn't readily available anywhere I knew.. Hell wasn't even a good soil.. Wasn't even MG soils.......... Well I'm babbling... Keepem Green

I've never grown hydro in the 'DEEP SOUTH' myself.. Always outdoors where temps didn't really matter as much,,, but isn't it be hard to keep root temps cool? I mean what's the best temps for hydro? 70? I know roots fry at what 85 degrees? Or there abouts.. In soil they can reach the cooler areas in dirt.. But a small hydro,, I'd imagine heats up pretty fast.. Unless your growing okra,, alittle cooler temps are in order,, right? Now don't get me lying like I KNOW what I'm talking about... Is any of this making sense? I know afew people that did DWC outdoors but had to bring in a chiller unit..
Hey interesting reads and ideas seeing ya'll talk about 2-liter bottles.. Look up passive hydroponic wick systems with 2-liter bottles. Looks hella cool.. I had a friend,, he took large PVC pipe and drilled so he could thread a 2-liter bottle into it.. He cut the bottoms out and filled with Vermiculite and perlite,, setup a pump, res, and timer.. Pump wood fill the pipe and then soda bottles,, doing an ebb and flow grow.. But a simple wick thru the bottom into a resevior works well.. First time I ever seen a hydro setup was back in 75'. Dude had a wick setup out the bottom a 5 gallon water bottle into a res. He used sawdust and river gravel as his medium.. Back then wasn't any,, unless you made it yourself, things, like coco coir. Hell perlite wasn't readily available anywhere I knew.. Hell wasn't even a good soil.. Wasn't even MG soils.......... Well I'm babbling... Keepem Green

Ahhhh... Awesome words. Really applicable and spot-on if you're running recirculating active hydro.
Hempy buckets are drain-to-waste passive hydro. No res and pumps. The growth in the res is the issue with active hydro. I totally tried active hydro and had to learn some hard lessons. This is the exact reason I use Hempy pots instead of other hydro systems giving me the speed and flexibility of hydro techniques while maintaining the heat resilience of a soil grow.

Probably 2009 or 2010.

Your choice of hempy was inspired. And look how it's come around to benefit so any of us. :battingeyelashes: :love:

How are 3 and 4 looking so far?

Back
Top Bottom