SweetSue's Hempy Haven: Powered By Timber

Looked into the tent and Zam was looking a bit forlorn. So I upcanned her into the largest hempy pot I have on hand.

She has twice the rootspace she had in the one gallon. This should be just what she wanted. :battingeyelashes:
I'm thinking a 2 gallon is gonna make her Growwwww........ Hang on!

Couldn’t you simply put your leds inside of a HPS vented reflector and get the best of both worlds?
:passitleft:

One could create a frankinstinian device this way.... or one could just purchase one built that way.... you know.... like the other lights we've been using and working with for decades.

I had the exact same thought... Grab an 8"cool tube or something... But then i started wondering if the glass would hinder the led.. What if Etc etc.

i am no expert , so i stopped wondering lol
:passitleft:

Possible double glass.... another drawback.

Hello Tead,

Good post - I know some manufacturers and hobbyists have messed with forced active cooling using air and water. Both are expensive to implement and prone to breakage, especially fans in a high moisture environment.

We recommend the use of a small clip on fan, like an inexpensive oscillating fan, to blow cool air across the heat sinks pins, and the driver(s). This will help lower their operating temps by 20-30°F. Added benefit, if it breaks it's easy to replace.

HPS hoods often use in-line cooling in order to dissipate some of the radiant heat as well, which is inherent in lamp based lights but not in LED based lighting. Our lights will get warm to the touch, but never as hot as an MH/HPS light so sometimes they are contained in an enclosed hood for safety - this makes active cooling a necessity due to heat build up.

Hope this helps - thanks for raising up the question. We are interested in feedback from the community at large!

Have a good day.

Regards,
Dan

Hi Dan... and thanks for taking the time baby!
So... you remember those old grade school words about 'reading comprehension'? I have that issue, along with it's reversed version.... sometime my words lack clarity.... because I just think the rest of the world understands every unspoken nuance inside brain.... but I digest. If I read your words correctly (see prev. sentances), I'm not quite sure I've communicated effectively.
By 'active cooling', I was simply and strictly speaking of forced air cooling that can be used to vent the heat generated out of the area... preferably outdoors. I wanna hook an intake tube, exhaust tube, and fan to the units without letting that hot air out freely into the area containing my grow boxes.
My comments are that this simply isn't available in the market place. Manufacturers seem to be ignoring the issue fully, but these bad boys pump out heat.... not as much as an HID, but easily 1/2. Granted, I live in a hot environment... but I ain't the only one using AC.... why you gotta make my AC work harder and waste that energy when I could easily just vent it outside?

One more word....
I just looked again at your lighting line Dan. I like that you've remoted the heat generating power conversion bits, that's a huge boost to have them away from the lights. Still tho... why keep that heat around when you could vent it directly outside? Those big pretty heat sinks (so sexy!) ain't pumpin out AC after all.

I know better than to bother ya, your busy now.. Thanks for the info all... These genetics came to me as well, I thought I said that... I ask only if anyone had heard of it... The others I am familiar with, but I will google it, never thought to do that... LOL

I am never too busy for you Hacker. :battingeyelashes:

Hope you don't mind if I sit on this one, Sue!

We’re happy to have you along LLHmaryjane. :hug: Make yourself comfy and jump right into the conversation. Is there anything I can help you with?

We recommend the use of a small clip on fan, like an inexpensive oscillating fan, to blow cool air across the heat sinks pins, and the driver(s). This will help lower their operating temps by 20-30°F. Added benefit, if it breaks it's easy to replace.

I forgot about that trick Dan. Thanks. :hug: I’ll track down a couple fans.

I'm thinking a 2 gallon is gonna make her Growwwww........ Hang on!

I’m thinking that too. :rofl: She’ll be blooming any day now.

Those big pretty heat sinks (so sexy!) ain't pumpin out AC after all.

They dissipate the heat nicely too Tead. You can rest your hand in them with no discomfort.

They dissipate the heat nicely too Tead. You can rest your hand in them with no discomfort.

They're so pretty. I'd totally be feelin them up and checkin them out. Put many cpus on motherboards.... I'm pretty sure I've never called a heatsink 'sexy' before..... tho maybe believe it or not.... we were always on the bleeding edge of things.

I forgot about that trick Dan. Thanks. :hug: I’ll track down a couple fans.

I did small fans at first, keep airflow across the sinks, but I have inceased airflow at the top of the tent now so I have not continued. I also keep the power brick outside the tent, it generates heat to spare. I am always concerned about excess heat.
I was more bringing in cool air than exhausting at the time. My Fans were very crude and small. The heat-sinks were almost cool to the touch.
CIMG2039.jpg

Edit: just need some air flow to carry away the radiated heat.

Those Timber lights are beautiful. If not for the price, we would ditch all of our old tech, the wife said so... (CFLs and an old mars300)
I agree with this....I have a light messing up on me now but I couldn’t afford to spring for a timber as bad as I wanted it. Lol. Had to get another one. Maybe next time! Lol or if a discount rolls along someday. Wink wink.....Dan....wink wink.. @TimberGrowLights ...wink wink! :laugh:

I agree with this....I have a light messing up on me now but I couldn’t afford to spring for a timber as bad as I wanted it. Lol. Had to get another one. Maybe next time! Lol or if a discount rolls along someday. Wink wink.....Dan....wink wink.. @TimberGrowLights ...wink wink! :laugh:

I believe in the sponsor thread they provided a discount for 420mag members.

Hello 420 Magazine Members!

We are very excited to be back as sponsors at 420 Magazine and are looking forward to interacting with you!

Considering lights for your garden? Use our discount code '420MAG' to save $25 off each light, no limit!

All of our lights are made with top quality components, and each is custom built-to-suit for each of our customers, taking into account any special needs whenever possible.

Have questions about COBs, Timber Grow Lights, or LEDs in general? Post a thread and tag us - or send us a PM or email. We are happy to help the community in any way that we can.

Have a great day!

Take care,
Dan

Don't know if this still applies or if $25 is enough to sway a decision, but it helps.

Don't know if this still applies or if $25 is enough to sway a decision, but it helps.
I stand corrected. I had looked under the 420 sponsors page and a lot of the ones with discounts have it in the banner. I didn’t see one for them so assumed there was none.

Hey @SweetSue

How much of the soy wax ya use in a cup of oil??

Gonna start getting things ready for making that oil and lotion yer girly friend needs

Oooh I just happened to see my notes on this this morning. She told me: “100 grams of soy wax flakes to every cup of strained oil”. :thumb:

Graciass my friend

it's all good, just throwing it out there for everyone to see as it is an older post.
Hello Overlord and Mr Magoo,

Thanks for the post - we do indeed still offer the same discount code, 420MAG, which is good for $25 off each item, no limit.

I will speak with Teddy about adding the discount code to our profile on the sponsors page - thank you for letting me know about that.

If you need anything else always feel free to let us know.

Have a good day.

Regards,
Dan

Good afternoon everyone. :love:

Busy day. :battingeyelashes:

Nice discussion about lights. I realize I’ve been spared the price tag for my Timbers, but honestly, having used these beautiful fixtures I’d spring for them one at a time. It was a desire that manifested within a week of expressing the interest. One of those beautiful cosmic moments when I let the universe work without needing to be in control.

I’ve had my share of other lights, some of them very nice, expensive toys, and not a single one of them made my plants as happy as Timbers have.

Thanks @DrDoob. :hug:

Mornin’ Sue (see i time adjusted for you... ;) I’m about to go to sleep)

Zam x Pan - my new amour :love:

Nighty night :yummy:

Night-night Amy. :hug: For the first time ever I have a tent where Carnival won’t be the star.

Hello Overlord and Mr Magoo,

Thanks for the post - we do indeed still offer the same discount code, 420MAG, which is good for $25 off each item, no limit.

I will speak with Teddy about adding the discount code to our profile on the sponsors page - thank you for letting me know about that.

If you need anything else always feel free to let us know.

Have a good day.

Regards,
Dan

Nice to know, and happy we are to have helped you firm up your presence in the community Dan.

I love it when we play well with the cosmos. :battingeyelashes:!

Back
Top Bottom