SubCool Supersoil In SIPs With EWC, CBD Autos For Aspergers

OK here is the root structure on a six week old SIP. EDIT both of the six week old pots look like this.
IMG_5072.jpeg

And here is the root structure on a four week old SIP (two weeks earlier) with whatever illness this plant had. EDIT: All three of the four week old pots look like this (soup).

IMG_5073.jpeg

I am trying to sanitize, and then let the affected things dry, and then I need to make more buckets. I will try to catch up when I can. I thought I would have a lot more time today, but at least we are making some progress!
If we are only one month behind, then it makes sense to plant more photos, and soon. I am trying to get her done.

The one with the top leaves that curled overnight:
Sorry, Shed, there's been so much activity today and I'm going in a dozen different directions (and in half dozen circles). It has been a hectic day.
Do you mean this Afghan Mass XXL? It was sad to lose her and the Delicious Cheese, but it means I can plant more photos now.

IMG_2742.jpeg

Slurry test to check the pH of the soil.
Sorry, Shed!
Great idea, but I am all turned around and wiped out right now. It has been several late nights in a row, and I'm completely thrashed.
It's dark, and it would be a bummer to go outside and take a soil sample right now. How about if I have a problem with this next grow, I will check the pH. Thanks for the good idea. 👍

Well, it was a day, but I got six new buckets built.
I also have two existing buckets I was trying to start autos in, which I remediated with the tricoderma.
I think I will pull those auto seeds, and plant photos instead.

The two existing buckets can serve as a kind of a test control (to see if remediation with tricoderma kills the problem, or not)..
So, I should be able to plant eight new photos and we will see if any of them come up! (Normally I feel fairly confident about my seed planting technique, but I've been having terrible success the last few weeks.)

I can't believe I forgot the DynoMyco in three of the buckets. 🙄
I thought about tearing them open and remixing, but I think I'll try to put liquid myco on them instead. (I'm sure it is not as good, but I am tired, and I really do not feel like tearing those buckets open.)
In the morning I will check the water levels in the reservoir, and probably do a slight top water (to wet from the top.
I was going to soak beans tonight, but I am thrashed. I think I might wait until tomorrow. (That should also give the bucket more time to soak up water.)

Making lemons into lemonade!
I have to plant seeds to make more lemon trees!
:morenutes:
I sure hope I can hold out the six months until harvest... (I think so but not sure.)
Grow little plantas, grow!!

...but remember that while you can't force a plant to take up what you feed it if it doesn't need it, you can force feed the soil, which is what leads to lock outs and toxicities.

This finally registered.
I need to remember this.
Thanks, Shed.

Hi Shed. I thought a lot about your idea to leave the branching untrimmed. I thought I should try it. (I hope nothing will mold or mildew.)
Does this type of branching seem ok for a Charlotte's Angel Auto (sativa dominant auto)? (Or am I taking chances with mold, or mildew?)
Thanks.
splay 1.jpg

splay 2.jpg

And this is a close-up of the cola on the right. Thanks.

close.jpg

I never cut flowers to lessen the chance of mold, but that's me. If I have very dense flowers I use @Amy Gardner's technique of pulling them away from the stem when they get dense as described here:
https://www.420magazine.com/communi...ck-lilly-purple-satellite.475768/post-4875874
Thank you. I will try to check it out.
Are you concerned about botrytis (bud rot) mold or PM type mold?
Well, good question. Mostly bud rot, but it would also be good to keep PM away, if possible. I got some trico powder to put on PM on the leaves. I am mixing trico and myco in with the soil, and I turned the fans up a little, so hopefully that will help. I tried to clean out any fans that were not catching top light from the "canopy".
We are supposed to have high humidity for this month also, and then it is supposed to start to go back down, so Charlotte has to flower in the humidity....

I am concerned because I had some unknown vector turn my whole grow brown two grows ago. Then a few weeks ago, four little plantas got sick, and I had to throw them and the soil out! :eek::eek:😭
So, I am just trying to do a good job of hygiene.

Just to comment, growing in humidity is new to me. I had bud twice on the roof, and six more times inside the grow room (under LEDs, where it is at least hypothetically a little less humid.)
Inside the grow room (under LEDs), I had bud rot twice on Purple Kush Auto, twice on Northern Lights CBD Auto, and twice more on an Eleven Roses Auto (Sugar Black Rose x Appalachian Kush, and undoubtedly x some CBD auto).
(Everything bought from a sponsor.)

I am not an expert, and I hope I will quote correctly, but I thought @cbdhemp808 said that Northern Lights is supposed to be at least reasonably resistant to mold. Also, Sugar Black Rose has a lot of phenos that cbdhemp808 said should make it more mold resistant--but still they got mold.
So I thought about it, and even if NL and SBR are reasonably resistant, they were also crossed with auto genetica and CBD genetics at some point, and I have no idea about the mold resistance on those CBD autos. It seems possible that the auto or CBD genetics lowered their resistance, but I do not know that, so I am concerned.
I am growing NL CBD photo (the auto version already molded twice), Deep Mandarin (SBR x Carmen I think), and some other strains that I have no idea if they are reall mold resistant or not. :(
I also could not find a humidity / mold profile for Charlotte or her Angels. (I did not check any grow diaries or anything, but I guess we will see.)

Hey Med,

First thing is, from my experience, inherent resistance is specific to specific types of mold/fungus. So, you could have resistance to any one of... bud rot, PM, and various leaf spot molds. But not necessarily more than one at the same time.

I have seen very strong resistance to bud rot with a particular pheno, for example, while at the same time not very resistant to leaf mold.

I am not an expert, and I hope I will quote correctly, but I thought @cbdhemp808 said that Northern Lights is supposed to be at least reasonably resistant to mold.
I think it was Northern Lights #5 and Atomic Northern Lights, that I was identifying as potentially resistant to bud rot, due to high pine terpene content, meaning terpinolene and the other pine terps.

Also, Sugar Black Rose has a lot of phenos that cbdhemp808 said should make it more mold resistant--but still they got mold.
You would want the sativa pheno of Sugar Black Rose. That's the one with very high pine terpenes.

So I thought about it, and even if NL and SBR are reasonably resistant, they were also crossed with auto genetica and CBD genetics at some point, and I have no idea about the mold resistance on those CBD autos. It seems possible that the auto or CBD genetics lowered their resistance, but I do not know that, so I am concerned.
Yeah, it definitely matters. What I did research on (i.e. terpene profiles) are the photoperiod strains and seed lines, and then looking for the specific known phenos of those lines that exhibit high pine terpenes. I looked at pure SBR photoperiod, not mixed with anything. Same for the NL.

I am growing NL CBD photo (the auto version already molded twice), Deep Mandarin (SBR x Carmen I think), and some other strains that I have no idea if they are reall mold resistant or not. :(
I also could not find a humidity / mold profile for Charlotte or her Angels. (I did not check any grow diaries or anything, but I guess we will see.)
I just did a very quick look for Charlotte's Angel... Dutch Passion's product page doesn't show it, but there may be a pheno with high pine terps. This would be the photoperiod, not the auto.

:ciao:
First thing is, from my experience, inherent resistance is specific to specific types of mold/fungus. So, you could have resistance to any one of... bud rot, PM, and various leaf spot molds. But not necessarily more than one at the same time.

I have seen very strong resistance to bud rot with a particular pheno, for example, while at the same time not very resistant to leaf mold.
:thedoubletake:
Ohhhhh!!!!!!! That makes perfect sense.
So really, then, my best bet is just to plant stuff with hi-terpenes, and make clones of what survives?
And then test the bud, to see which clones work for me medically (that I want to keep)?
:thumb:
I think it was Northern Lights #5 and Atomic Northern Lights, that I was identifying as potentially resistant to bud rot, due to high pine terpene content, meaning terpinolene and the other pine terps.
:thanks:
You would want the sativa pheno of Sugar Black Rose. That's the one with very high pine terpenes.
:thumb:
It sounds like I will be popping seeds, tossing the males, and keeping an eye open for sativa phenos....
At least now I have a plan!

Yeah, it definitely matters. What I did research on (i.e. terpene profiles) are the photoperiod strains and seed lines, and then looking for the specific known phenos of those lines that exhibit high pine terpenes. I looked at pure SBR photoperiod, not mixed with anything. Same for the NL.
:thanks:
Yes, I will just have to do my best hygiene here, and then watch and see what makes it.
I planted one more Afghan Mass XXL (sativa) just to hedge my bets :D
Only, it got hit by vectors twice now, so I hope it makes it. (But I think all of the girls in the tent are indica except for Dr. Seedsman 30:1.)

I just did a very quick look for Charlotte's Angel... Dutch Passion's product page doesn't show it, but there may be a pheno with high pine terps. This would be the photoperiod, not the auto.
:thumb::thanks:
I will monitor.

Hahahaha!! I kept putting (Delicious Seeds') CBD Jam in the bucket, and five seeds later, NOTHING came up!
So in frustration I put the last 5 seeds in water, and ALL BUT ONE came up!!! LOL! :rofl:
(So I had to make supersoil and build four more buckets real quick :laugh:.)
Hahahaha, I sure hope I like CBD Jam, and that it survives the nasties here in Colombia! (And I will keep a look out for any sativa phenos...)

With ratios of 1:1 and up to 1:2, we'd like to present to you the CBD version of our Marmalate strain, which is, as you know, a cross between Critical Mass, a mainly Sativa looking strain with marked Indica characteristics, with an Indica looking plant with important Sativa traits – the famous Lavender – and which we've named CBD JAM (DS33).

CBD JAM (DS33) is a cross between Marmalate (DS25) with our own Carmen, which adds hints of sweet pineapple although the delicious taste and smell of the Marmalate still stand out. The main difference between Marmalate and CBD JAM (DS33) is in CBD production, which, for CBD JAM (DS33), can reach up to 13%.

Haha, 🤣 I have no idea if any of my seeds will make it. But probably most of them will.
I guess I just get a bunch of fun adventures in growing, trying to find CBD sativas that like it here??
Lol!
Great help, thanks.

Sorry to get back here late but the Olympics is on!
Well, good question. Mostly bud rot, but it would also be good to keep PM away, if possible.
I've found that canola oil is a pretty good solution for PM (you can read that post here), but I don't seem to have botrytis around enough to test it for that. Since canola oil is an anti-fungal it might be worth a test on a plant to see if it works.

I did find this regarding bud rot:
"Canola oil and jojoba wax provided protection against powdery mildew and bunch rot [botrytis], protecting the grapevines 60% to 100% compared to water control-treated vines."

Obviously, tight bud structures and high RH will increase the chances for it to take hold if it's in the air.

Sorry to get back here late but the Olympics is on!

I've found that canola oil is a pretty good solution for PM (you can read that post here), but I don't seem to have botrytis around enough to test it for that. Since canola oil is an anti-fungal it might be worth a test on a plant to see if it works.

I did find this regarding bud rot:
"Canola oil and jojoba wax provided protection against powdery mildew and bunch rot [botrytis], protecting the grapevines 60% to 100% compared to water control-treated vines."

Obviously, tight bud structures and high RH will increase the chances for it to take hold if it's in the air.
Great info, thanks! :thanks:
There is plenty of stuff floating around in the air here, so I am sure I will need it eventually.

@cbdhemp808 , you recommended Sour Diesel.
I am researching SD seeds, and it seems there are several different strains, with different parentage???
Is there a "best" Sour Diesel? And which seed bank?
Thanks.

@cbdhemp808 , you recommended Sour Diesel.
I am researching SD seeds, and it seems there are several different strains, with different parentage???
Is there a "best" Sour Diesel? And which seed bank?
Thanks.
Hey Med, I did mention Sour Tsunami, a one-to-one strain containing both CBD and THC, which has SD heavy in its lineage.

I also mentioned that Annunaki may have seeds for Sour Tsunami #3 S1s. Those phenos should be high in pinene, and possibly also terpinolene, so may have some good fungus/mold resistance. Or you could go for a more "generic" Sour Tsunami, which may actually be a better route to finding a terpinolene-dominant pheno (or at least high terpinolene)...

Ok, thank you, Hempster.
I cruised the sponsor listing, and found Juanita La Lagrimosa, and a variant called Juanita La Lagrimosa CBD (??), and two NYC Diesel based Sour-D variants with CBD, one Critical Sour Diesel CBD, and the other Dieseltonic. That should give me phenos and CBD all in one go, if I can get them to grow!

I had two foil packs of CBD Jam (2:1 CBD), and they just were not coming up. (it has been two or three years or something, but the seeds came out of the foil package gray. I didn't think they were supposed to come out of a foil package gray after only two or three years. I thought you were supposed to get five years from mylar foil packaging if you kept it refrigerated well, which I did.) Is that something to bring to a vendor's attention?

These two girls look good.

IMG_2750.jpeg

IMG_2751.jpeg

And these girls do not look so good. They are rescues, but it has been long enough that they should be doing better than this.

IMG_2752.jpeg

IMG_2753.jpeg

IMG_2754.jpeg

This one concerns me a little bit. The leaves are all crinkly. I took some neem and garlic and soap spray oil, and smeared it all around on the underside of the leaves, but it still looks crinkly.

IMG_2757.jpeg

IMG_2758.jpeg

I'm still waiting for her to takeoff. I do not think I would worry except I have a couple of northern light that also look crinkly.
EDIT: this one does not bother me so much because she's bigger. In time maybe she will outgrow the wrinkles.

IMG_2755.jpeg

EDIT: but this girl is just small. She is just now starting to get her second set of leaves. Sort of. I think I will leave her for now and keep hoping she grows out of it.

IMG_2756.jpeg

I know you are not supposed to fertilize early but I did hit it with some of that Bioxinis trico just in case it was some kind of disease. I also washed my hands thoroughly with a scrubber, and then dried them, and then smeared the underside of the leaves with the same neem and garlic and Dr. Bronner's soap, but it's still growing in funny.

One of the big indicas (I think Deep Mandarine) also had this kind of crinkling, and is now doing better so I hope she will grow out of it, but I'm still waiting and watching.

All the other girls seem to be doing good.

Ok, I pulled the four CBD Jam rescues that were not looking so good, but I still have two good looking ones left, and I should be able to get some nice clones, which seems to be the new thing (is to get a stable of clones).

It might be kind of tight, but since I now have 4 open buckets, I am soaking four Afghan Mass XXL Autos (actially), because I have no sativa THC weed at all in this grow.
Auto AMXXL has 3% CBD, which is enough for a daytime sativa.
I got some photo sativa CBD seeds and some sativa dominant CBD sour diesel-ish seeds coming in, but those will have to be next grow--so I am hoping 4 AMXXL will tide me through.
The 2 NL CBD are crinkly, but they might grow out of it, so I smeared them with more soap - neem - garlic oil, and will monitor them. (it is just nervous because of the recent disease.)

I think I might be starting to get what you guys are talking about when you talk about phenos being the thing. For some reason the AMXXL really works for me (and really sounds appealing right now), even though it only has 3% CBD. (Edit: not sure but it works for me.)
So I am guessing that popping seeds and searching for my favorite phenos is the new thing...

If I run out of room in the grow room I can juggle a second grow space for now. I just do not want to run lut of medicine! 😱😱😱

Thanks 🙏 @InTheShed for the idea to let the colas branch! Light bulb 💡 coming on.
Maybe in the future I can even lat them start branching a little sooner.
I think I can jist pull excess leaves (below the canopy) to maintain airflow--and I can pull any leaves playing Bumper Colas.

IMG_2759.jpeg

I think with a quad I could let them start branching much sooner.
I think with eight I. Oukd have let them start branching a little sooner.
I just have to keep excess leaves trimmed out (and "worst case/best case scenario", cut any branching that plays Bumper Colas--but that would be cool, because it would mean huge buds!).
Light bulbs 💡 starting to come on...

IMG_2760.jpeg

I think if I had let these start to grow a week earlier, like you said, it would've been close to perfect.

I think I might be starting to get what you guys are talking about when you talk about phenos being the thing. For some reason the AMXXL really works for me (and really sounds appealing right now), even though it only has 3% CBD.
You can think of phenos using an analogy... I just made this one up. Let's say you are ordering your favorite dish from a restaurant, and there are different chefs who prepare the dish, depending on what night of the week it is. One of those chefs is the distinct master of preparing the dish, in your opinion, and so you only visit the restaurant on Thursday nights, because that's the night your favorite chef is working. Clearly it's the same dish (strain), but you have your favorite version of that dish (phenotype).

Sort of like that 😆

Now, to work in autoflower vs. photoperiod into the analogy... If the dish in question is "on the menu" (photoperiod/clone-able), it makes sense to try to hit the night when your favorite chef is working. If the dish is a "special", i.e. a unique one-time creation (autoflower), then, yes... you may enjoy the experience, but may not have the same experience again.

You can think of phenos using an analogy... I just made this one up. Let's say you are ordering your favorite dish from a restaurant, and there are different chefs who prepare the dish, depending on what night of the week it is. One of those chefs is the distinct master of preparing the dish, in your opinion, and so you only visit the restaurant on Thursday nights, because that's the night your favorite chef is working. Clearly it's the same dish (strain), but you have your favorite version of that dish (phenotype).

Sort of like that 😆

Now, to work in autoflower vs. photoperiod into the analogy... If the dish in question is "on the menu" (photoperiod/clone-able), it makes sense to try to hit the night when your favorite chef is working. If the dish is a "special", i.e. a unique one-time creation (autoflower), then, yes... you may enjoy the experience, but may not have the same experience again.
Good analogy.
And to extend the analogy, if you buy Photo, you also get an almost-free lifetime refill! (you just have to maintain your clones = pay parking and a tip???...) 👍👍🙏

Ok, I am using the Trichoderma. Hopefully that will help with mold and fungus problems.
I also cut out all the fan leaves that bump another cola (or which restrict airflow).
Hopefully we can keep the humidity problems away for another month or two (until the humidity drops back down).

IMG_2762.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom