Stanks Go Perpetual In 2018!

Sorry about the germ issues Stank! I changed to direct sow and have been loving it. Seeds have been popping in record times for me, 2.5 to 3 days! I hang a CFL very close to the soil which provides a little heat and light for when they pop their heads above the soil. I hope you can figure out what's been going wrong so it doesn't drive ya nuts!

:passitleft:

Its a great method for hydro growers for sure though Beez, thanks for sharing brother!
Probably half the plants I grow go from a hempy solo cup at about 4-5 days old into ProMix BX medium. I don't notice they have any problem switching. I can't imagine it would be any different going into soil?

I get the whole duds every now and then.....but 7 out of 8 duds from several very trust worthy/reputable seed banks, just doesn't sit right with me. I struggle with the fact that prior to this stretch of seeds not popping, I was perfect at about 20 for 20 with this method. Going 20 for 20 and then suddenly going 1 for 8 tells me it gotta be something other than just genetics (especially with the 8 seeds coming from 3 different breeders....Nirvana, Humboldt, and Ministries of Cannabis). If they were all from just one breeder, I would be more inclined to go with the seeds being bad. Also the other fact that doesn't sit well with me is that seeds cracked and the tap root stuck its tongue out and then just completely stalled once in the paper towels. (everything keeps coming back to the issue arising when they went in the paper towels.....is it the paper towels or am i possibly doing something different now that is throwing the rate off???) If they were duds, I gotta think they wouldn't have cracked and stuck the tip of the tap root out but I could be wrong.

Granted....you very well may be correct and it might just be bad seeds. Its certainly an option....but its lower on the list of possibilities right now in my mind based off all the factors. It would be so much easier if I could just let things go easily lol.....but I can't. I will still be losing sleep about it a month from now if I don't at least try to figure it out.

Probably half the plants I grow go from a hempy solo cup at about 4-5 days old into ProMix BX medium. I don't notice they have any problem switching. I can't imagine it would be any different going into soil?

Maybe, maybe not....its probably dependent on how long they are in the hempy and if they are getting fed. Just not a method I am interested in at this point. Perhaps when I decide to experiment with DWC, it will be the right time to experiment with germinating in Hempy for me. But while I am growing in soil I only want to start either direct sow or the paper towel method.

I am going more towards the direct sow method anyways, but I still have to try to figure out what has caused the previous method to suddenly tank.

If they were duds, I gotta think they wouldn't have cracked and stuck the tip of the tap root out but I could be wrong.

I've had some seeds that had quite a bit of resin on them and I chose to scarify them prior to dropping them in the hempy cups to germinate. And trust me guys I'm not pushing this method. Just trying to make anyone interested aware that there are other methods to do the same things. But is it possible that the seeds that stuck out the tap root tip were not able to split the shell any further due to it being "glued shut" with resin? Just throwing ideas out there. I'm thinking the resin being a problem on your Stankberry seeds. Probably not an excuse for the other three breeder's seeds.

I'm 0 -6 at the moment ... :hmmmm:

Gotta step it up I guess - haven't had to be that serious about it usually - just soak for a day or two and plant 'em 3/8 inch deep. Next try will go into a divot of peat moss.

Wow those seeded colas are stunning man! I mean Van! Lol :D Hats off to the Stank house
:bravo:

Bummer about the germination woes. You may never find the logic to it, but I’m the same I’d keep trying to find it - esp if I had the semi-controlled you have...
just direct sow these genetics. If they pop with no issues, then I suppose I can rule out genetics as the issue.
If you do this (and it sounds like you will), give them the best CBN w by doing the 12-24hr (or longer it seems) soak prior, like neiko and Conrad do... and me too. I’m 100% for a few years doing it that way (12-24hr soak, direct sow).

Can’t beleive I’m asking this. But did you use a different brand paper towel? Or different tweezers (or other method for moving them)? I’m sure you’ve asked these questions of yourself already... just wondering like you are! :hmmmm:

Have fun seed collecting! :yummy:

I get the whole duds every now and then.....but 7 out of 8 duds from several very trust worthy/reputable seed banks, just doesn't sit right with me. I struggle with the fact that prior to this stretch of seeds not popping, I was perfect at about 20 for 20 with this method. Going 20 for 20 and then suddenly going 1 for 8 tells me it gotta be something other than just genetics (especially with the 8 seeds coming from 3 different breeders....Nirvana, Humboldt, and Ministries of Cannabis). If they were all from just one breeder, I would be more inclined to go with the seeds being bad. Also the other fact that doesn't sit well with me is that seeds cracked and the tap root stuck its tongue out and then just completely stalled once in the paper towels. (everything keeps coming back to the issue arising when they went in the paper towels.....is it the paper towels or am i possibly doing something different now that is throwing the rate off???) If they were duds, I gotta think they wouldn't have cracked and stuck the tip of the tap root out but I could be wrong.

Granted....you very well may be correct and it might just be bad seeds. Its certainly an option....but its lower on the list of possibilities right now in my mind based off all the factors. It would be so much easier if I could just let things go easily lol.....but I can't. I will still be losing sleep about it a month from now if I don't at least try to figure it out.

i had a dud and a half on my current grow , it was planted in the cocos next to my other seed from the same strain that stalled on day 5 and took off again on around day 19 ... Humboldt Blue dream auto... i had them for over a year ... maybe they grow old after a while as the seed uses nutes staying alive ... but then again most seeds can be held in the right conditions for thousands of years and still sprout so ... anyway one is turning out ok even given the fact that i lost 2 weeks on my "auto timer" the other never maded it above ground it sprouted a taproot and then did slowly over the next ten days ...
check out my grow in link below :ganjamon:

btw i never had a seed go blank ever before ... in case you question my skillz hehe

Gotta step it up I guess - haven't had to be that serious about it usually - just soak for a day or two and plant 'em 3/8 inch deep. Next try will go into a divot of peat moss.
Whats your process Gray?

She really is beautiful full of seeds!
Thanks brother! Got your email....thanks!

Whats your process Gray?

I just soak 'em for a day or two, prep a cup of soil, make a 3/8" divot, plant the seed, cover it.

We HBers have an urban legend that the soil eats our seeds, but Doc says there isn't background evidence for it. Some have issues, some never do. :hmmmm: He doesn't have issues, Duggan doesn't trust it and always plants in a divot of straight Pro-Mix. I don't use a towel and I don't let them grow a root. I plant whether they've cracked or not. Sometimes if they're years old, I'll make sure I see a crack before I plant them.

So this round I'll put a pinch of bland peat moss on the top to sow the seed into. :bongrip:

Wow those seeded colas are stunning man! I mean Van! Lol :D Hats off to the Stank house
:bravo:

Bummer about the germination woes. You may never find the logic to it, but I’m the same I’d keep trying to find it - esp if I had the semi-controlled you have...

If you do this (and it sounds like you will), give them the best CBN w by doing the 12-24hr (or longer it seems) soak prior, like neiko and Conrad do... and me too. I’m 100% for a few years doing it that way (12-24hr soak, direct sow).

Can’t beleive I’m asking this. But did you use a different brand paper towel? Or different tweezers (or other method for moving them)? I’m sure you’ve asked these questions of yourself already... just wondering like you are! :hmmmm:

Have fun seed collecting! :yummy:

Ms Stank and I have talked about a few things. We switched from having drinking water delivered to a getting some from a Natural Spring. I haven't been documenting which batch of seeds used which during my 1-8 streak. I have used either Distilled water or the spring water/delivered water only. I used distilled water on the 8 seeds I dropped 2 days ago.

As for the paper towels, we have bought different brands but we usually stick to Bounty if we have the choice. I will continue to tighten my controls until I can figure out any correlations and then investigate those for causality. Germination issues have been a topic of much discussion in this household stemming back to the group Jack Herer grow that we did. Ms Stank and I had lots of interesting talks regarding factors back then and they are getting revisited with these recent issues surfacing for us.

And then I get lucky with experiments like yesterday that add absolutely zero clarity to the muddy germination experiment/discussion/debate LOL.

Thanks for brainstorming with me everyone! :thanks: I find a lot of benefits to putting my thoughts on here to read and reread in the future when I am pondering things. All this stuff serves to help keep my sane while going through this back issue. All my life, work has been the driving force behind my life. With that large portion of my life gone for the time being, I have to fill it with something productive for my own sanity. Physical activity had always been my outlet prior to hurting the back so I have had to reinvent myself mentally and growing has been a godsend to me/us. Without these plants and the outlet I have to be productive and creative, we (Ms Stank and myself) both know I would be having some serious mind fuck games with myself over these 2 years.

This germination issue might seem like nothing to a lot of people, but it offers something for me to focus on and try to solve. I need that sort of stuff for my mental health. Is it a issue in the big picture...not really, I have more than enough seeds to do what I want. But its a task that benefits me mentally so thats why I choose to figure it out.

I get that! It means that brain ‘power’ gets used up and doesn’t turn to less helpful thought processes! Gotta feed the animal :D

Yeah cause otherwise Knats Nav (Stank's dark side....Van Stank backwards) starts creeping into my thoughts and things go downhill quickly. We don't like him.

We HBers have an urban legend that the soil eats our seeds, but Doc says there isn't background evidence for it.

Doc probably uses his soil faster than I do, but I did have the soil eat 8 out of 9 seeds after it cooked about 12 months.

I usually have zero issues cracking seeds.
I use a piece of 100 grit sandpaper rolled and taped into a tube that fits between my fore finger and thumb, place the seeds inside and a normal shake for a few seconds.
Then put them into 100ml of RO water with 1 ml of 30% (not 3%) H202 and let them soak until they just start to crack
then transplant to soil.

The seeds that were eaten were replaced with fresh seeds of the same strains but put into one of those jiffy peat pots. They came with a seedling tray/dome set I picked up from the mart.
These were placed in the tray on a seedling heat mat with temp control, and had no problems germinating. Once they had a set of true leaves, they were transplanted directly into the soil.

Normally I would do everything the exact same except I would skip the jiffy's and go straight from soak to soil.
Also I clone in a ezcloner type set up and transplant directly into soil with no issues. Once I did have 2 clones take a day or so to adjust, but usually they don't skip a beat.
For a while I was adding some extra perlite to the hole in the soil where the clone was going, but soon realized I did not need to do that and it made the plants a little more unstable in their footing if too much perlite was applied.

Back
Top Bottom