Stanks Go Perpetual In 2018!

Yeah this is kind of the direction that I am leaning towards. I mean hell, I didn't even soak the last ATF seed at all, just dropped it in the soil and it popped. I just wanted to try and figure out what the issue is that has suddenly reared its ugly head with my paper towel method. I kind of have the equivalent of OCD when it comes to figuring out why something stops working. It bugs me to no end and I can't stop brainstorming on what might be the cause of it. It makes it difficult to shut the brain down when there are unexplained things that negatively impact me and I can't figure why. I blame it on my engineer father. The guy never answered a question I asked with an actual answer.....it was always another question to make me think about it. This is just baffling to me.

And the messed up part is understanding the why is more important to me than just figuring out a different way to do it. I know I have spent several hours already trying to work this whole thing out in my head. Its a simple process with only a few contributing factors which include the paper towel, the water source, the temperature of the room, cleanliness, light access, and genetics. Am I missing anything?? Just time....but that is variable to how fast the seeds sink and how long it takes to crack. Time, temps, paper towels, water, cleanliness, darkness/light levels and genetics.....gotta be one of those factors. Man this shit bugs the hell out of me.

I guess the next thing to try is direct sow with the genetics that have failed me. So I was 0-2 with Carnival, Green Crack, and Blackberry. I have seeds left for all of them so I think what I will do next time I go to drop new genetics is just direct sow these genetics. If they pop with no issues, then I suppose I can rule out genetics as the issue. But I can't try this for a while since I potentially have DTF plants to deal with (assuming they break the soil....I transplanted them to solo cups late last night) for the time being. Assuming these 4 pop up, I figure it will be about 35 days or so to find how many of female.

I'm having nice success with this paper towel method, but I can't seem to keep them alive once they come above ground these days... My last batch I lost 10 seedlings due to hot soil and now today another 10-15 in a new seedling mix due to dampening. Slight breeze alerted me to the problem so I've propped them up and hoping for the best but won't lie if I say I'm pretty angry with myself..

Sudoku FTW! :bongrip:
Its funny, I used to do them. Reading was a big one for me. I used to go through a book or two a week but that reading has kind of become more 420 time on here as well cannabis books in general. I recently decided to pick up a blast from the past. I ordered some sketch pad, drawing pencils, and colored pencils in hopes of tapping into my creative side again. If I can resurrect the skills I had back in high school (had colleges interested in my art skills...worked in charcoal, pastels, pen and ink, air brush, pencils, and ceramics) and perhaps expand it into painting. I have noticed that as I have been smoking more, my mind seems to have a better understanding of colors and lighting. They just seem to make more sense to me...almost like it seems to have made the connection between what my eyes see and how the brain processes it much clearer.

I have hopes in my mind to combine that creativity with our love of the plant and do some cannabis art. Its such a beautiful plant that I can't help but to want try drawing it.

@Van Stank any updates on your VC? I just grabbed a small bucket of finished VC for my winter indoor bins and it looked exceptionally good...

Its churning along. its amazing how much it settles after giving them a couple month in there. I have added 10 gallons into one container and 10 gallons into another container. Honestly we are kind of in a hold pattern as we are trying to close on a house.

I'm having nice success with this paper towel method, but I can't seem to keep them alive once they come above ground these days... My last batch I lost 10 seedlings due to hot soil and now today another 10-15 in a new seedling mix due to dampening. Slight breeze alerted me to the problem so I've propped them up and hoping for the best but won't lie if I say I'm pretty angry with myself..
How hot is the soil the you are putting them in? I start my seeds in solo cups with about an inch of Stank Soil at the bottom and then I fill the rest of the cup up with Coco Loco from BushDoctor. Its got some light stuff in it, and no where near as hot as my soil. I have never had an issue with a seedling that popped the surface

If I can resurrect the skills I had back in high school (had colleges interested in my art skills...worked in charcoal, pastels, pen and ink, air brush, pencils, and ceramics) and perhaps expand it into painting.
Oh man you should definitely pursue this. You never lost those skills, they just may be a little rusty. But it won't take long before what's on paper looks just like what's in your head. That's a great idea Van.

Its churning along. its amazing how much it settles after giving them a couple month in there. I have added 10 gallons into one container and 10 gallons into another container. Honestly we are kind of in a hold pattern as we are trying to close on a house.
Cool...I didn't realize you were closing on a property...great news.

Hey Blew...what does it mean when the red wigglers try to escape the worm bin? Not enough food? Too many worms for the bin?
Never seen that...only reason I can think of them crawling out is if something inside is toxic to them.

Never seen that...only reason I can think of them crawling out is if something inside is toxic to them.
Oh well nothing has changed in the bin so I don't know what that would be. I guess I'll sift it and start over. It looks pretty much like it's entirely VC to me in there. Cottage cheesey with no smell. :thanks:

You can see the escapees on the rim of the tub. The green stuff is some blended veggies I gave them last night and the light patches are tea bags.

Oh well nothing has changed in the bin so I don't know what that would be. I guess I'll sift it and start over. It looks pretty much like it's entirely VC to me in there. Cottage cheesey with no smell. You can see the escapees on the rim of the tub. The green stuff is some blended veggies I gave them last night and the light patches are tea bags.

To me, it looks like you could add a lot more dirt or other medium for them to populate.

Oh well nothing has changed in the bin so I don't know what that would be. I guess I'll sift it and start over. It looks pretty much like it's entirely VC to me in there. Cottage cheesey with no smell. :thanks:

You can see the escapees on the rim of the tub. The green stuff is some blended veggies I gave them last night and the light patches are tea bags.
Mine did that same thing, I gave them more air (let it dry out more) and the problem was solved...ive had maybe 3 escspe sonce the change! I went from bins to smart pots. They honestly seem much happier!

Just load the pot with all your goodies and call it a day, really hard to overdue moisture in a smart pot!

Mines been going for 4+ months and is probably about ready to harvest! I'll give it a couple more months but this has been the easiest route for me to be honest! I might give it a gallon every 2-3 weeks but rhats about it!

Mine did that same thing, I gave them more air (let it dry out more) and the problem was solved...ive had maybe 3 escspe sonce the change! I went from bins to smart pots. They honestly seem much happier!
Just load the pot with all your goodies and call it a day, really hard to overdue moisture in a smart pot!
Mines been going for 4+ months and is probably about ready to harvest! I'll give it a couple more months but this has been the easiest route for me to be honest! I might give it a gallon every 2-3 weeks but rhats about it!
Thanks LaquerHead! I can prop the lid up a bit and see if that helps. If not, at least it makes their escape easier!

Thanks LaquerHead! I can prop the lid up a bit and see if that helps. If not, at least it makes their escape easier!
LOL...that should do the trick! They seem to like a slightly moist soil, maybe even a little drier than what you would try and sustain during "flower". But moist none the less :thumb:

Quick Update

We have action on all 4 of the Stankberry seeds.....so all 8 seeds have popped and shooting tap roots. Doesn't appear that paper towels with distilled water is causing any issues. One less thing to worry about going forward. Next time I try this little experiment, I will try the spring water that we get for drinking. I know I have used it on at least one batch of failed seeds. Hell, who knows....maybe there is something in there they don't like.

How hot is the soil the you are putting them in? I start my seeds in solo cups with about an inch of Stank Soil at the bottom and then I fill the rest of the cup up with Coco Loco from BushDoctor. Its got some light stuff in it, and no where near as hot as my soil. I have never had an issue with a seedling that popped the surface

Morning mr.Stank I was trying a soil mix as I'm still trying to find a good soil that I'm happy with so all my seeds mini mixes of diff batches. Last batch I added 4 month composted manure sieved it fine but only 7 made it so not going to mess around with it any time soon.

My newest mix was 50/50 organic lawn dressing and coco and this is where al the dampening is coming in. Spoke to a mate last night who mentioned that he read somewhere it could also be harmful bacteria or similiar from the mix. Going to have to wait and see who survives as I've propped them all up....

Never played with coco either so got some homework as its the pH game with that but ( friend )suggested just plain coco as starter material for first month or so.

Back
Top Bottom