Sorenna's - 2015 - THC Bomb Auto & Strawberry Blue - Soil - LED

re: Sorenna's - 2015 - THC Bomb Auto & Strawberry Blue - Soil - LED

Thelma and Louise - Day 36

Both of the girls are doing marvelous today. Thelma is a sleepyhead. She sleeps before lights out and is still sleeping when they come back on. haha Takes about an hour for her to perk up after the lights come on. By contrast, I dont think Louise sleeps at all. Shes always bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.

They both look pretty much the same today, just more of it. I didnt take any photos today. All I did in their tent was turn them how I wanted them under the lights and checked the top layer of their soil for wetness--they are only moist and not wet. Yay! Ive had them on the SWICKs pretty much since their first feeding (so about 3 weeks) and they are doing stellar on it now. Im pretty sure in future grows, Im going to use the SWICK, but I wont use it until after they are no longer little seedlings, start it at like week 3. I think that will work out nicely.

Thats it for this update. Hope yall have a fantastical day or night or whatever time of day you read this. :green_heart:

Seems to be normal for the strain. I don't know if it's just normal, or if the strain is a heavy P user though. I'll grab some pictures from my clones tomorrow, which are both pretty healthy, and show the same red streaks you're seeing. I'm not worried about it at all. I give them the right nutes, PH is good, and I'm happy. So you don't need to worry at all now.

I am officially no longer concerned. :)

Hey Sorenna, just dropping by with a picture of the stem on Strawberry Blue #1. You saw the plant yesterday in her new pot, with the LST all set up, decent looking plant, and healthy. No other deficiencies or problems anywhere other than the red streaks on the stem and branches. Saw the same thing on the last SB grow as well.

IMG_20150514_085111_947.jpg

I love when the grow is routine.
A little leaf grow. A little stretch of a branch out to get the light.
Nothing to report :)

The older I get, the more the word "routine" becomes a favorite. haha

Hey Sorenna, just dropping by with a picture of the stem on Strawberry Blue #1. You saw the plant yesterday in her new pot, with the LST all set up, decent looking plant, and healthy. No other deficiencies or problems anywhere other than the red streaks on the stem and branches. Saw the same thing on the last SB grow as well.

Thank you, Antics. :) That is exactly what mine looks like. I reckon its just a strain characteristic.

I think you're right, this is 4 total I've seen with red streaks, yours, and 3 of mine.

On the one I just harvested, I even tried giving it Sonic Bloom with each watering (2x a day- coco grow) for a couple weeks, NPK is 0-51-34, and still had red on my stems.

It'd be cool to hear from others who have grown it, to see if they also had the same experience.

I think you're right, this is 4 total I've seen with red streaks, yours, and 3 of mine.

On the one I just harvested, I even tried giving it Sonic Bloom with each watering (2x a day- coco grow) for a couple weeks, NPK is 0-51-34, and still had red on my stems.

It'd be cool to hear from others who have grown it, to see if they also had the same experience.

I read on another cannabis site that red streaks meant an abundance of Phosphorus. But, I am not totally sure of the credibility of the poster...or the site..

I read on another cannabis site that red streaks meant an abundance of Phosphorus. But, I am not totally sure of the credibility of the poster...or the site..

That'll complicate things lol.

The timeline on my grow was basically this:

Normal 3 part nutes were fed. Red slowly appears on stems, progressing slowly. It started as lines/streaks, and eventually ended up as wider lines, with soft edges,, like it was airbrushed or something. When my Humboldt nutes arrived, I started mixing in some Sonic Bloom, did that for 2 or 3 weeks and saw no change at all.

I found this excerpt here: Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial

Pest and Problem Solver said:
Too much Phosphorus levels affect plant growth by suppressing the uptake of: Iron, potassium and Zinc, potentially causing deficiency symptoms of these nutrients to occur def in plants. A Zinc deficiency is most common under excessive phosphorus conditions,
As well as causing other nutrients to have absorption troubles like zinc and copper. Phosphorus fluctuates when concentrated and combined with calcium

No info about red streaks related to an abundance, so I'll keep poking around a bit on that.

Im pretty sure TheNuttyProfessor popped one. Maybe he can add to our findings. :blushsmile:

Quoted from Pest and Problem Solver:

"Sometimes the stems can be red, along with red petioles that can happen when having a Phosphorus deficiency. This isn’t a sure sure sign of you having one though, but can be a sign. Some strains just show the red petioles and stems from its genes.
So pretty much the overall dark green colour with a purple, red, or blue tint to the fan leaves is a good sign of a Phosphorus deficiency."

By reading this, the plants would also need to be a very dark green color in addition to the red streaks to indicate a Phosphorus deficiency. My girl is not at all dark. Its seems pretty clear that the streaks are just part of the strain. I also did a short google of Strawberry Blue strains, and though most of the images were of nuggets or buds, there was at least one other that showed the same streaks, but wasnt dark.

Graytail's Destroyer is the first one I think of with red stem and branches. I think I'll go back and read through that grow and see when the color change started. I'm fairly certain it's a genetic trait in his case. I know next to nothing of deficiency, but I know a healthy- looking plant when I see one, and yours scream of health and happiness over their gardener. :love:

Graytail's Destroyer is the first one I think of with red stem and branches. I think I'll go back and read through that grow and see when the color change started. I'm fairly certain it's a genetic trait in his case. I know next to nothing of deficiency, but I know a healthy- looking plant when I see one, and yours scream of health and happiness over their gardener. :love:

Thank you, SweetSue. You always make me feel like Im not a complete putz at growing. I appreciate that. I really do.

Ive tried to grow before. Always bagseeds, always what soil was on sale at the local stores. Seed popping I can do without too much effort. Its once they are planted that my problems would begin. Half the time my plants would be eaten by something. I thought it was mice, but now I think it was the soil. I had no idea that potting soil could have critters in it. Ugh! Even if they didnt get eaten in their first days then they would not thrive. They would grow tall and not branch out. Then they would fall over. Then I would stake them so they stood upright. Then they would just slowly die.

Im doing lots of things different with this grow. Quality soil and seeds, for starters. I am also not putting them in the closet I was using before. Ive come to believe the reason my plants would fall over is because it was far too hot in there. In my ignorance, I thought a plant named such an obvious Mexican name liked heat. I couldnt have been more wrong. haha

I guess what Im trying to say is that in this grow Ive really tried to give them everything they need. I know more, even if I havent experienced some of it first hand yet. I just couldnt take another failed grow. If it had failed from the beginning I probably would have not tried again.. ever. I dont like to do things Im not good at. haha

The fact that my plants appear to like me this time was my biggest hurdle. I just needed to know that I can do it. Thats why I wanted my grow to be as simple as possible. Once I get a successful harvest under my belt, Im going to be alot more willing to experiment with things like LOS or Doc's Hi-Brix.

Antics-- I wanted to take a moment to thank you as well for you really helping me discover something about my plant. Things like this make it easier to just watch the plant and see how its reacting. Teaches patience, of which I have very little. I can see thats it easy to manufacture an issue in my head that isnt actually happening on the plant.

Thank you. :blushsmile:

Antics-- I wanted to take a moment to thank you as well for you really helping me discover something about my plant. Things like this make it easier to just watch the plant and see how its reacting. Teaches patience, of which I have very little. I can see thats it easy to manufacture an issue in my head that isnt actually happening on the plant.

"Knowing trees, I understand the meaning of patience. Knowing grass, I can appreciate persistence." - Hal Borland

Always happy to help :)

Thank you, MassMedMan. Ive seen your grow so far this time with the autos you have and I think your plants are fine examples of healthy, beautiful plants. Yours are ahead of mine and you planted after I did. That says a lot, Id say. :blushsmile:

It took Thelma a full week to really show me her response. I was getting frustrated because her top stopped growing. lol I was mostly expecting height and I wasnt getting it. I should have been watching her filling out, because thats exactly what shes done. Her lower branches are starting to get some height now, too. I cant wait to see what she looks like in another week. :)

Thanks Sorrena, my plants are doing well due to a number of factors,, if I could bottle it I'd give it to you. ;) I think each grow we learn a little bit more. And those of us lucky to continue to grow will apply those lessons learned. A few years ago I was excited to pop a bean,, now, I am concerned when I don't. And the learning continues. I've been lucky to be trained by some great people, and I'm more than willing to pass on what I learn. Good and bad.

You're plants are great, and next ones will be better, of course. But the time is now to rock this grow,, those girls are going to explode and you're going to fly through the roof with confidence..... ;)

Happy 420 :Namaste:

Time for an update! My second favorite daily activity, coming only behind looking at them for the first time each day. :blushsmile:

Thelma and Louise - Day 37

The girls are doing marvelous. Thelma is a hot mess.. lol.. and Louise is coming into her own.

Lets start with Thelma. This is what I see when I first open the tent. Totally lovely, right? :)
thelma5141.jpg

I took a few pics of her because at the end Ima have some questions, well, a question for yall.

Some of these pictures are their natural colors and some are pink. I dont know what happened but after I was done taking the shots, I turned on the lights and the camera kept going off. Oddness! :)

I managed to capture her pistils this time, finally. I think they are pistils. I hope they are pistils because we're in week 6 and she should be flowering by now, right?
thelma5144.jpg

thelma5143.jpg

thelma5142.jpg

I brushed some of the leaves away and got a picture underneath and was a little shocked. lol A hot mess, like I said.
thelma5145.jpg

Now for the incomparable Strawberry Blue, Louise.
Louise5141.jpg

She is really starting to put some branch time in.
louise5143.jpg

This one is her top and how its starting to take off in a wonderful way.
louise5142.jpg

And last, but not least is the two of them, snug as bugs in a rug.
thelmalouise5141.jpg

Now for my question. Thelma is really looking chaotic to me. Her growth is profuse and kinda all on top of each other. Is there anything you would do if she were yours to open her up some? Im thinking a little defoliating, but Im hesitant to do that because I just dont know what Im doing. I would like to know your comments or suggestions about it, please and thank you.

Thats it for this update. See yall next time!

Oh.. P.S. I turned on the red "bloom" portion of their LED Lights. I hope Louise doesnt have a fit about it. Im thinking I might give her both CFLs on her side and let Thelma bask in the red light.

They look great , seen some posts about red stems , my bubba cheese had red stems all of them and they where very well behaved with no issues what so ever , they also where a terrific smoke . my strawberry blue is ready to transplant , she started in a very small post and she sits on top of one of the other larger pots ad i noticed her roots where coming out the bottom and trying to grow into the other pot , cheeky bitch , told you loop lou lol :)

ive been very very busy all week getting seaweed and drying and crushing crab shells and clams lol ive also started to make compost tea tea bags , :thumb:

keep up the good work , must go tro Sue now lool can never keep up with that girl hahaha

this is just a rough idea ive ordered a sewing machine , will be filled with nettles,comfrey , docks, seaweed,dolomite lime , rock dust , and activator " complete organic " :)

11071657_10153256492521605_2624974156639646484_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom