Sorenna's - 2015 - THC Bomb Auto & Strawberry Blue - Soil - LED

re: Sorenna's - 2015 - THC Bomb (Auto) & Strawberry Blue - Soil - LED

Will be interesting to see the moisture after a day or so on the SWICK setup, Im still planning on it for mine too but im thinking i might wait till my final repot before i sort it all out. Great to hear your girls are doing so well Sorenna ;)

I'm still not totally convinced on the SWICK system. But maybe that's because I don't have a full understanding of it...

I like the idea of it. I like that the plant will take its fill as needed and I dont have to fuss with it. Id worry I put too much or not enough, etc. But.. you knew there was a but :)...I think they are not good for seedlings. Next time, Im not going to start the SWICK until at least the 3rd, maybe 4th week. I think that will work out best.

When I watered the other day, I checked the bottom of both smart pots for roots and I did not find any. I think this might not be the case if I had not given them such an abundance of water when they were establishing their roots. Which reminds me. I *really* like the smart pots. They seem to dry more evenly. It seems easier to tell what the moisture situation is in the pot, by eye.

These are just my thoughts from my short amount of experience, so far.

Good morning!

I woke this morning to the most beautiful sight.. Thelma has PISTOLS! *happy dances*

thelmapistols.jpg

She has some from the node/branch sites too, but they are so tiny I have no hope to focus on it with the camera. Ill post some when they are more obvious to the lens. :blushsmile:

What a great start to my day. :partyboy:

Will be interesting to see the moisture after a day or so on the SWICK setup, Im still planning on it for mine too but im thinking i might wait till my final repot before i sort it all out. Great to hear your girls are doing so well Sorenna ;)

I think the SWICK is a great idea, especially for a more mature plant. From my own experience, Louise really didnt like the absolute moisture of her pot. She let me know too! lol Thelma, on the other hand, didnt show that she noticed it much, but maybe in a couple more days in that wet environment, she might have.

Thank you. I cant tell you how happy I am with their progress this last week. Its just amazing watching a life grow from a seed to a flower and I get to watch every step of it.

I like the idea of it. I like that the plant will take its fill as needed and I dont have to fuss with it. Id worry I put too much or not enough, etc. But.. you knew there was a but :)...I think they are not good for seedlings. Next time, Im not going to start the SWICK until at least the 3rd, maybe 4th week. I think that will work out best.

When I watered the other day, I checked the bottom of both smart pots for roots and I did not find any. I think this might not be the case if I had not given them such an abundance of water when they were establishing their roots. Which reminds me. I *really* like the smart pots. They seem to dry more evenly. It seems easier to tell what the moisture situation is in the pot, by eye.

These are just my thoughts from my short amount of experience, so far.

IDk? I guess I just like the idea of my medium drying almost completely out and having the roots really stretch to find moisture. I feel like if there is always moisture present, your roots will have less vigor. Also with the medium being moist more often, I wonder how that effects Oxygen levels in the root zone...

Again... this is just my thinking without fully understanding the SWICK system, so maybe I am completely wrong about it. I also like taking the time to hand water my plant.

IDk? I guess I just like the idea of my medium drying almost completely out and having the roots really stretch to find moisture. I feel like if there is always moisture present, your roots will have less vigor. Also with the medium being moist more often, I wonder how that effects Oxygen levels in the root zone...

Again... this is just my thinking without fully understanding the SWICK system, so maybe I am completely wrong about it. I also like taking the time to hand water my plant.

you tell them @ultradan its all about the hand watering lol :high-five:

:nomo::ganjamon:

It may be that there is less root growth in constantly moist soil, but that may or may not be a bad thing.

When the soil has a 'damp sponge' moisture, earthworms, mycorrhizae and the soil food web thrive. Interacting with the plant roots, they are 'root extensions' to transport exotic nutrients on demand. Meanwhile the actual roots have available moisture.

In a sterile soil or soilless environment where nutrient feedings are scheduled to feed the plant, a cycle of damp and dry makes sense. it helps keep bacteria, gnats and all other life to a minimum. as long as the plant is fed the right mix at the right times, this can work well. it is the method used and promulgated by most of the cannabis elders such as Jorge Cervantes. Jorge also likes Sea of Green (many small plants) for the same reason.

In a living, nature styled grow, a constant moisture that encourages abundant plant, insect and soil life. That natural abundance is extremely compatible with a SWICK system.

Hydro growers have the same choice: sterile water or living water. Certain hydro setups work better with the styles. In the world of hydro, according to The Cap'n one must choose one or the other, because blended a[proaches tend to (evenbtually) go very bad. Soil is less touchy, but the principles are probably similar. One feeding of bottled nutrient salts can be devastaing to the soil food web.

I BELIEVE I am essentially correct in the above statements. (I am betting my grow upon it.) Howevr I can't claim expertise. I have a total of about one week on a SWICK. I am raising seedlings up to the first gallon size in a blend of sphagnum moss, compost and perlite without nutrients. Then in late veg, transplanting into 10-gallon fabric pots with a no-till, perpetual living soil. I intend to flower out in a SWICK as well.

So, I hope you don't find it an imposition that I refer to my grow to illustrate the principles I have gathered through readings and lectures on the permaculture boards. All I know is what I have experienced as informed by what I have read.

Now I'm really torn! SWICK seems like a clever system. Since mechanical action is pulling water up out of the res, it should never be able to displace too much 02. Theoretically, this should lead to a perfect soil/water/air balance.

But db003 has a point, and is supported by one of my fav bits of gardening wisdom, by Confucius: The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow. Automation and systems are useful and convenient, but there's no replacing the gardener BEing there.
So what's a poor boy to do? LOL

It may be that there is less root growth in constantly moist soil, but that may or may not be a bad thing.

When the soil has a 'damp sponge' moisture, earthworms, mycorrhizae and the soil food web thrive. Interacting with the plant roots, they are 'root extensions' to transport exotic nutrients on demand. Meanwhile the actual roots have available moisture.

In a sterile soil or soilless environment where nutrient feedings are scheduled to feed the plant, a cycle of damp and dry makes sense. it helps keep bacteria, gnats and all other life to a minimum. as long as the plant is fed the right mix at the right times, this can work well. it is the method used and promulgated by most of the cannabis elders such as Jorge Cervantes. Jorge also likes Sea of Green (many small plants) for the same reason.

In a living, nature styled grow, a constant moisture that encourages abundant plant, insect and soil life. That natural abundance is extremely compatible with a SWICK system.

Hydro growers have the same choice: sterile water or living water. Certain hydro setups work better with the styles. In the world of hydro, according to The Cap'n one must choose one or the other, because blended a[proaches tend to (evenbtually) go very bad. Soil is less touchy, but the principles are probably similar. One feeding of bottled nutrient salts can be devastaing to the soil food web.

I BELIEVE I am essentially correct in the above statements. (I am betting my grow upon it.) Howevr I can't claim expertise. I have a total of about one week on a SWICK. I am raising seedlings up to the first gallon size in a blend of sphagnum moss, compost and perlite without nutrients. Then in late veg, transplanting into 10-gallon fabric pots with a no-till, perpetual living soil. I intend to flower out in a SWICK as well.

So, I hope you don't find it an imposition that I refer to my grow to illustrate the principles I have gathered through readings and lectures on the permaculture boards. All I know is what I have experienced as informed by what I have read.

I think you are right, different methods require different approaches. That nutrient fed versus more organic teas and drenches would react differently to moisture levels in the soil. In my mind, presently and with admittedly little experience, it just makes sense to me that when they are seedlings and establishing themselves as plants that a soil that has less moisture forces the roots to move deeper and deeper into the pot which would give them more square inches to map their waterways. We want it to be vast and vigorous, right? While at the same time making sure they are in a pot big enough to accommodate the best root systems they can create. Once theyve dug as deep as they can, then giving them all the water they need will encourage them to branch out and provide all the moisture and food that the plant needs from every source in the pot.

I dont mind one bit if you reference your own grow. I read yours too, just as the posts come up on it. :)

Now I'm really torn! SWICK seems like a clever system. Since mechanical action is pulling water up out of the res, it should never be able to displace too much 02. Theoretically, this should lead to a perfect soil/water/air balance.

But db003 has a point, and is supported by one of my fav bits of gardening wisdom, by Confucius: The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow. Automation and systems are useful and convenient, but there's no replacing the gardener BEing there.
So what's a poor boy to do? LOL

I like that quote. :blushsmile: Ill hand water mine at the beginning and Ill hand feed it once per week throughout. I dont think they will lack for my presence. I find myself opening their tent and just looking at them. I think the SWICK is great and can understand the point about a more personal touch too. Best of both?

If the system interests you at all, I recommend you try it out, even if only on one plant to see how it compares throughout the grow.

Radogast, your write up makes perfect sense. I do think you hit the nail on the head when you said SWICK works best with LOS. In a medium that does not contain living organisms, I can see where SWICK would not be as beneficial (i.e. Store bought soil) But I completely agree with the fact that those living "things" thrive off of the moisture and feed the plant.

Well, this was an insightful discussion of the SWICK method. We have to keep in mind that the system didn't work as expected for you Sorenna because your mix was heavy in aeration. I'm confident that given the proper aeration ratio you probably wouldn't have had any concerns with it. Next grow you can modify the mix. If you go with LOS then it becomes a non issue.

Ranger, there are many other ways for the gardener to spend intimate time with the plants other than watering. The plants really appreciate being able to water themselves and with small exception explode in growth and vigor once they get established. In the right soil mix this is definitely one arrow for the quiver.

UltraDan, it's really the simplest of systems. Sit the plants on a bed of perlite with a reservoir of water and let the roots find the water. The perlite wicks the water up to the pot, picking up more oxygen as it works over all those complex perlite surfaces and the soil picks it up from there. After a couple weeks water roots get right down into the perlite and the pot itself explodes in root growth. Any amendment with teas or drenches (or nutrients, if that's your choice) are done slowly to avoid polluting the reservoir, or you can move the pot to a drainage area and drench the hell out of it.

It's difficult for some growers to trust something that appears to be in direct conflict with accepted norms, but my first grow demonstrated how powerful the combination of an awesome soil mix and this system of water availability can be, and how it can lead to increased yields.

The plants really appreciate being able to water themselves and with small exception explode in growth and vigor once they get established.

We should also remember that this is just one way of watering and not the only way that plants like to be watered. There is no Black and White in growing, only different shades of grey. Just because something worked well does not make it holy, or the only way that things can be successful.

I think SWICK has its place and I think it is an interesting way of conducting waterings. I still believe that it's only success will be in an LOS medium. I can't help but thinking that excessive moisture in a non organic medium wouldn't cause more issues.

But that's just me, and I don't even have a full grow under my belt yet, so....

We should also remember that this is just one way of watering and not the only way that plants like to be watered. There is no Black and White in growing, only different shades of grey. Just because something worked well does not make it holy, or the only way that things can be successful.

I think SWICK has its place and I think it is an interesting way of conducting waterings. I still believe that it's only success will be in an LOS medium. I can't help but thinking that excessive moisture in a non organic medium wouldn't cause more issues.

And you would be right on all points UltraDan. Like I said, another arrow in the quiver. There are strains that don't respond well to the SWICK. It was designed for LOS, but it will work with other soils. It's an individual choice.

Well, this was an insightful discussion of the SWICK method. We have to keep in mind that the system didn't work as expected for you Sorenna because your mix was heavy in aeration. I'm confident that given the proper aeration ratio you probably wouldn't have had any concerns with it. Next grow you can modify the mix. If you go with LOS then it becomes a non issue.

I havent forgotten my own contribution to Louise's yellow leaves. I dont know why, but I just feel the seedlings would have benefitted better if I just not put them on the SWICK from the start. The only way for me to know and be sure is to do it differently next time and see if there is a difference. If not, well then there isnt and Ill adjust accordingly. I will mix the perlite with the soil with a lighter hand next time and Ill wait to use the swick, after Ive thoroughly wet the soil throughout the pot. This is all one great big experiment for me. I know where I want to go, but I dont know what bumps and dips and turns Ill encounter on the way. I do intend to find out, however. :blushsmile:

First grow and nominated for Member of the Month......Sounds like you do good things !!

Thelma and Louise - Day 23

Howdy!:blushsmile:

Today, as I posted earlier, I woke to the most amazing sight... pistils on Thelma. She is still 4 1/2 inches tall. She got a quarter turn and she hasnt yet wicked up enough moisture to reach the top of the pot, so she will remain on her SWICK for at least a day longer. Her stem is thickening noticably, which I like to see.

thelmaside4301.jpg

The pic above I took and posted because she is starting to take up the entire surface of her pot. I remember when she seemed to be in a vast field all by her lonesome in that pot. haha

thelma4302.jpg

This one shows off her new pistils. So exciting!

Louise is chunking up pretty good. She looks healthy and recovered, her leaves are nice and green, except those bottom two. Maybe someday she will give them to me, but Im not going to insist. She can keep them as long as she wants, as far as Im concerned.

louise4301.jpg

I thought Id have a little bit more time to ask this question, but Thelma has other ideas. My question is about my lighting. It has a "growth" switch and a "bloom" switch. Ive only been using the "growth" switch, but now that Thelma is starting to flower, Im in a quandary about whether I should add that second light, which is red. I know plants like the red lights in flower mode but not so much in veg mode. I dont know how it will affect Louise. Another thought I had was to go ahead and turn on the red light too, but to put in a CFL over Louise to give her more of the blue light she likes. What do yall think?

you can go ahead and use both switches on if you want my mars II is full spectrum and you have seen my plants are growing fine I know its still early but since one of your plants is a photo and one is a auto how are you going to work out your timing for when you need to switch to flower for your photo I was trying to figure that one out. if you are lucky the auto with finish before you half to switch but I don't know have you given it any thought yet sorry for the rant I am real stoned lol and happy growing

:lot-o-toke:

I have actually worked it out a bit. Im going to slowly add like 10 minutes to the darkness until I get to 12/12, by then Thelma (the auto) should be done or near done and Louise will be ready to go into flower. The auto doesnt really care that much about the amount of light and darkness so much as the photo does. She will flower regardless.

Back
Top Bottom