Damn Gaz looks like you need to weed your weed / how do you have all that outside grass and clover in there ? That takes away from the nutes for the good stuff .
Just a bit of cover crop. I did already cut in back for mulch layer to protect the soil. those were just few left overs that I missed that have popped back up. Il knock them back. There isn't any signs that they are lacking in nutrition on the leaves. Just slow growth which has me thinking maybe I didn't reamend correctly. Oh well, will give them another week or so anyway 1nif them has 3 sets of nodes and is 4inh. It's only 16days old. Maybe it's worth saving?

How are your temps and humidity?
Hey
Temps drop to about 21c.. We had a power out here during the nte Thurs and RH spiked to 80..other than that nte it was between 55-60 during lights on, peeking to 70 at nte. I have noticed in the morning when temps are lower they are not praying, but as temps get higher they start praying. Il defo increase me light and chop down the cover crops I missed. Do you think wud they be big enough to start bottom watering?
Thanks in advance.. 👍

Screenshot_20230319_165759_com.eternal.acinfinity.jpg

Maybe try more light if you have it Gaz. That plant looks healthy to me.
Thanks stoner thanks. I thought they were really small for the weeks. But the 2nd pic above is only 16days and it has just started its 4th node, so I guess that's not terrible.
il increase the light. I also seeded 3 Pandy punch auto from seedstocks and they have hit the surface really strong so hoping they will come on strong. Thanks

Thanks stoner thanks. I thought they were really small for the weeks. But the 2nd pic above is only 16days and it has just started its 4th node, so I guess that's not terrible.
il increase the light. I also seeded 3 Pandy punch auto from seedstocks and they have hit the surface really strong so hoping they will come on strong. Thanks
I have trouble topping some autos before 21 days because of their smallish size and my sausage fingers. They usually finish normal auto size of a few zips give or take. Good luck!

Maybe try more light if you have it Gaz. That plant looks healthy to me.
I've no raised the intensity, the centre is getting approx 400ppm, and the edges where I have the seedings are getting just about 300.
I have the lights hanging 21 inches above the tallest plant. Does that sound in range or more ppm?

I've no raised the intensity, the centre is getting approx 400ppm, and the edges where I have the seedings are getting just about 300.
I have the lights hanging 21 inches above the tallest plant. Does that sound in range or more ppm?
I think so Gaz. remember too, these SIP's take a while to get going. When these plants find themselves, my guess is we won't recognise them they'll be so fast and big! Mine took 3 weeks before I became comfortable that it was going to make it ok. Maybe more.
When they take hold crank the light intensity up some more if possible. It won't be long!

I think so Gaz. remember too, these SIP's take a while to get going. When these plants find themselves, my guess is we won't recognise them they'll be so fast and big! Mine took 3 weeks before I became comfortable that it was going to make it ok. Maybe more.
When they take hold crank the light intensity up some more if possible. It won't be long!
Thanks Stoner, my mind has been eased. I was thinking they were like wayyy behind. Thanks for the feedback.. 👍

I don't know, if they weren't getting enough light they'd be stretching to reach it not hunkering down. See if you can get your temps up to 30*C. They'll grow at your 25* but they prefer it warmer and they grow faster when they get it.

I don't know, if they weren't getting enough light they'd be stretching to reach it not hunkering down. See if you can get your temps up to 30*C. They'll grow at your 25* but they prefer it warmer and they grow faster when they get it.
I will have to look into a small space heater, it's not the warmest here atm unfortunately. Thanks.. 👍

I will have to look into a small space heater, it's not the warmest here atm unfortunately. Thanks.. 👍
I use a Russell Hobbs oil heater, pretty cheap and very safe... only issue is it takes a bit of floor space up (Guessing we are similarily located Gaz!):thumb:

@Azimuth I come to the garden of Azi for some of your sage advice mate, I have new SIPs on the go but I'm experiencing the res drying out multiple times already. I pre-wetted my mix, filled sip to 50% and planted seeds. Next day the SIP was fully dry so I filled it to around 40-50% again and the very next day... empty.

Any ideas mate? Just don't want to drown my seedlings, last time my res stayed 50% full for many days/over a week :D I'm running 10 litre buckets, 2.5 litre reservoir. Here's pics of the setup:

newsip_1.jpg

newsip_2.jpg
newsip_3.jpg
newsip_6.jpg

Also maybe up your humidity a bit more if you can mate? Your VPD is quite a bit too high for this stage if you are able to modify it then it would be beneficial. Inkbird controller with a vix vaporiser or RAM humidifier is what I use.

Also maybe up your humidity a bit more if you can mate? Your VPD is quite a bit too high for this stage if you are able to modify it then it would be beneficial. Inkbird controller with a vix vaporiser or RAM humidifier is what I use.
Russell Hobbs and Inkbird, truly you are man who appreciates high quality at a fair price 😂

Could your res issue not just be it wicking quite quickly - what temperature is the res water? Your slightly newer and refined design might just be “charging” the medium much quicker. Its going to evaporate up through the airgap remember. Your medium is taking it.

Nick

Russell Hobbs and Inkbird, truly you are man who appreciates high quality at a fair price 😂

Could your res issue not just be it wicking quite quickly - what temperature is the res water? Your slightly newer and refined design might just be “charging” the medium much quicker. Its going to evaporate up through the airgap remember. Your medium is taking it.

Nick
:rofl:

I'm all about maximising value bro!

Res water will be around the same as the envrionment, which is actually only 25-26c at the moment (I reduced it from 29c until I sort venting from my lung room as it's increasing flower tent temp... anyway that's another issue xD)

It could just be evaporating yes, these buckets are way more shallow than my last. The clay pebbles also absorb a lot of water? Not sure if that's maybe all that's happening as the pebbles wick the water?

Last time I filled it to 50% and it lasted for over a week before needed to be refilled. I wonder if only filling to 50% is enough to stop any overwatering at this stage and I can just continue refilling without issue? Or whether I should be letting it dry out for a day or so inbetween refills.

You know how dodgy it is when they are young lad I'm just very cautious at this stage :D

:rofl:

I'm all about maximising value bro!

Res water will be around the same as the envrionment, which is actually only 25-26c at the moment (I reduced it from 29c until I sort venting from my lung room as it's increasing flower tent temp... anyway that's another issue xD)

It could just be evaporating yes, these buckets are way more shallow than my last. The clay pebbles also absorb a lot of water? Not sure if that's maybe all that's happening as the pebbles wick the water?

Last time I filled it to 50% and it lasted for over a week before needed to be refilled. I wonder if only filling to 50% is enough to stop any overwatering at this stage and I can just continue refilling without issue? Or whether I should be letting it dry out for a day or so inbetween refills.

You know how dodgy it is when they are young lad I'm just very cautious at this stage :D
Yes my watering bottle for this stage you might remember is labelled “I Hate This Bit” 🤣

I mentioned this in your current journal but maybe a moisture probe spike thing would be handy for next time? Test at different levels.

Clay will be drawing in plenty of that water as well. I think it might do another bit quick and then balance.

Just the flow of that water into soil with clay in the mix makes sense to me.

Nick

@Azimuth I come to the garden of Azi for some of your sage advice mate, I have new SIPs on the go but I'm experiencing the res drying out multiple times already. I pre-wetted my mix, filled sip to 50% and planted seeds. Next day the SIP was fully dry so I filled it to around 40-50% again and the very next day... empty.

Any ideas mate? Just don't want to drown my seedlings, last time my res stayed 50% full for many days/over a week :D I'm running 10 litre buckets, 2.5 litre reservoir
I like to treat a newly seeded SIP as if it's just a regular pot, watering or misting around the newly planted seed until it sprouts. Then I water lightly right down the center to help the roots follow the water down.

Only after it's growing strongly will I engage the reservoir.

I'd bet your medium was not as moistened as you thought it was and it's absorbing the water quickly. Too much water too early seems to un-necessarily cause a stall so I wouldn't be too worried about the reservoir at this point.

You won't get enough evaporation in these things to be your issue. Are you using a peat based mix?

I like to treat a newly seeded SIP as if it's just a regular pot, watering or misting around the newly planted seed until it sprouts. Then I water lightly right down the center to help the roots follow the water down.

Only after it's growing strongly will I engage the reservoir.

I'd bet your medium was not as moistened as you thought it was and it's absorbing the water quickly. Too much water too early seems to un-necessarily cause a stall so I wouldn't be too worried about the reservoir at this point.

You won't get enough evaporation in these things to be your issue. Are you using a peat based mix?
Thanks a lot Azi :thanks: 🙏 Your method is slightly different to what I did last time as I only watered once when planting the germinated seed and then relied on the res from that point. I think your bang on with your assessment I must not have pre-moistened the mix enough.

It's BioBizz Light Mix which is definitely peat based.

I'll take your advice and switch to manual watering for a bit until the roots are established properly, the moisture gradient is already there but I'm definitely worried about stalling them or killing them at this fragile stage of life.

Hey, thanks for commenting. Yeah I did buy a humidifier, but its crap. It's way off from what my ac 69 is reading. If I set the humidity to 65..it will keep spitting it out until the ac is reading like 80.. But the ac only at 58 or some shit.. It done my head in. So I've got one of the ac infinity humidifiers pre booked. Have already spoke to them, they have promised it will read the same as their 69. They don't arrive for another 2 weeks tho. At least next run il be able to keep the RH High and stable. Thanks again for feedback.. 👍

I use a Russell Hobbs oil heater, pretty cheap and very safe... only issue is it takes a bit of floor space up (Guessing we are similarily located Gaz!):thumb:

Any ideas mate? Just don't want to drown my seedlings, last time my res stayed 50% full for many days/over a week :D I'm running 10 litre buckets, 2.5 litre reservoir. Here's pics of the setup:

newsip_1.jpg

newsip_2.jpg
newsip_3.jpg
newsip_6.jpg
Hey Weffalo

Thanks for the feedback. Was looking at this little heater, it's slim design and is oil as well. Can get it in 600w version as well. For next run I was thinking of using strains that are happier in cooler climates. Afgan kush or strawberry pie autos were recommended. Nice set up mate. What humidifier do u use?

Hey Weffalo

Thanks for the feedback. Was looking at this little heater, it's slim design and is oil as well. Can get it in 600w version as well. For next run I was thinking of using strains that are happier in cooler climates. Afgan kush or strawberry pie autos were recommended. Nice set up mate. What humidifier do u use?
You won't go wrong with that AC humidifer mate, I use an Inkbird humidity controller with a RAM humidifier but I'll be switching to the same as you in future for sure :D The cooler climates thing might work for winter but in summer I reckon even in the UK (I'm making assumptions here!) you will struggle with getting temps down more than anything so bare that in mind bro 🤞

You won't go wrong with that AC humidifer mate, I use an Inkbird humidity controller with a RAM humidifier but I'll be switching to the same as you in future for sure :D The cooler climates thing might work for winter but in summer I reckon even in the UK (I'm making assumptions here!) you will struggle with getting temps down more than anything so bare that in mind bro 🤞
Yeah I'm not to far away from UK.. Just across the pond in little old Eire. Have u tried any out door strain for our climate? Do u then use a AC in summer for flowering and drying to get those lower temps.? Curious s of you're set up, venting etc. I have no choice to grow in my bed room.

Back
Top Bottom