Budding out niiiiiizzzzz!!!
Thanks, she's blowing up in the SIP!
Quick question - How do you post a video??? Asking for a friend. :laugh:
It has to be a .gif under a certain size. I use the website Giphy sometimes to convert videos to .gif, but this video was too big and it kept erroring out. I ended up playing around with ClipChamp on Windows11. I was able to reduce the resolution and save it as a .gif then uploaded to the 420 gallery.

Here is Emmy, my Green Crack Auto in the @VIVOSUN Smart Grow System with 100w AeroLight. She was started in a 4" pot for 13 days. I bottom watered her twice in the 4" pot then up-potted to a 5 gallon bucket with a GroBucket insert on day# 16. The bucket has FFHF pre-amended with @GeoFlora Nutrients veg and @DYNOMYCO , used on the rootball as well. I top-watered her when I uppotted to integrate the rootball, but all other feedings have been in the res. The top dressing of river rocks seems to keep the soil moist all the way to the surface.

She was topped on Day# 18 and I used CarHooks to LST her. Since flower she's been on @Remo Nutrients . She's up to 1.8L/day now and is still growing. You can see that once her roots got established in the SIP she really took off!

Weekly Progression

Emmy Day# 47
Just sayin, I completely love the idea of an Emmy Green, Crack... lol
Lookin good!

Well my plant sure has had a dry period as I already thought it odd that the water level wasn't going down anymore.. turns out it's obstructed (possible root invasion into the res) so it won't get down to empty again.. shaking the pot revealed no sloshing so it was dry and even the soil felt dry, so quickly filled everything up again and looks like she's going hallelujah!
IMG_0892.JPG

Well my plant sure has had a dry period as I already thought it odd that the water level wasn't going down anymore.. turns out it's obstructed (possible root invasion into the res) so it won't get down to empty again.. shaking the pot revealed no sloshing so it was dry and even the soil felt dry, so quickly filled everything up again and looks like she's going hallelujah!
IMG_0892.JPG

EDIT: I figured it out, and answered my own questions (below) FB. I was a little mixed up.

FB, do you have more pics of this grow anywhere? Are you using the Grobuckets, ie store-bought, SIPs? I'm just trying to get caught up and clued-in, your plants look beautiful and I'd like to see and know more. Best regards, RD.

EDIT: I figured it out, and answered my own questions (below) FB. I was a little mixed up.

FB, do you have more pics of this grow anywhere? Are you using the Grobuckets, ie store-bought, SIPs? I'm just trying to get caught up and clued-in, your plants look beautiful and I'd like to see and know more. Best regards, RD.
I guess you found the thread, yeah it's store bought self watering pot so not setup like a grobucket but kinda the same principle, it works like a charm though wel up until now as now the metering is useless, now I'm in soil dwc territory.. without a pump.. :nervous-guy:

Welcome to SIP Club!

There are an increasing number of us growing in SIPs (Sub Irrigated Planters) so I thought I'd start a community thread where we can all post pictures, links to our various SIP threads and have general discussions on theory and application of these incredible pots.

I'll tag a few below and hopefully they'll post links to their threads and pictures of their grows and pots so we have a central place to discuss these things. So ask any questions and share your experiences here, and link up to your respective journals so we can all follow along.

First, the basics.

A SIP is a grow pot structured with some sort of grow mix above, a water reservoir below, and and air chamber in between them. This air chamber and the constant availablilty of water and nutrients are what I believe lead to the incredible results these pots produce. Every plant I've grown in these has been healthier, happier and bigger than those in non-SIP containers. They are great for new growers since they take the guesswork out of watering which is one of the main challenges new growers face, but experienced growers also use them to great effect.

Here's a diagram of the basic set-up:

1662329603855.png

There are commercial versions that can be purchased including 5 gallon bucket inserts like this :

1662331125831.png

as well as "self-watering" pots like Krissi grows in here:

20220211_093401.jpg

They are also easy to DIY if you're into that sort of thing and I've built them in various sizes including 9oz/266ml, 1Q/1L, 2G/8L, and 17G/64L sizes. I'll post some how-to instructions in later posts for those that might want to try building one themselves.

Harvests from indoor plants grown with the 5 gallon inserts seem to be limited to just over 1 pound ( :rofl: ) as was produced by Buds Buddy's plant shown here:

15-374   6-30-22.JPG

15-375   6-30-22.JPG

15-376   6-30-22.JPG

Emilya Green has a few journals going now showcasing her grows in her much larger, multiple 17 Gallon containers which is shaping up to be epic.

But here's a sneak peak:

stretch may have stopped.JPG

ResDog has several different styles going and is working on a self-watering version from an external reservoir, and LKA and Farside have just started grows with their own buckets.

So, chime in with your questions, thoughts, experiences, etc. and we'll have a central place to discuss all things SIP!

Tags:
@Buds Buddy @el gringuito @Emilya Green @farside05 @Krissi Carbone @LKABudMan @ReservoirDog

Ok….Sold. SIP it is. It may be here and I missed. Recommendations on a setup for purchase? You mentioned commercial availability of 5 gallon, do you see available 3 gallon setups?

Thanks ✌🏻

Ok….Sold. SIP it is. It may be here and I missed. Recommendations on a setup for purchase? You mentioned commercial availability of 5 gallon, do you see available 3 gallon setups?

Thanks ✌🏻

If you're talking commercially sold 3.5 gallon buckets, their dimensions are 11.75 inches diameter by 11 inches high. 5 gallon buckets are 11.75 x 14.5. so the difference is just the extra 3.5 inches in height. That said, the GroBucket inserts would fit in a 3.5 gallon but you'd need to trim 3.5 inches off the fill tube. The water level indicator wouldn't be of much use since it's constructed in a manner that isn't conducive to trimming.

These are my current girls enjoying life in 5 gallon GroBuckets. Day 51, day 15 post flip

Thanks ✌🏻
Welcome aboard, GPC!

The commercial inserts seem to be limited to the 5G bucket size as @farside05 pointed out. I use the 2G buckets and had to diy my own, but thats a pretty simple build if you're at all handy and can drill holes.

There are other commercial styles as well like the version @StoneOtter is using in his grow now called the "EarthBox" and as far as I can tell they were the inventor of this style of container, and also there is the "Octopot" style that both @ReservoirDog and @Emilya Green use and those are based on the false floor style. They're a little more involved to build, but really not all that much.

The ones I build are detailed on page two of this thread Here and use a simple 'dome style' approach to the reservoir. They're the simplest and least expensive version to build needing only a bucket or other container that will hold water, a food grade container from the dollar store with a top rim slightly smaller than the bottom diameter of the bucket, and a fill pipe.

It seems that no matter which style you choose, they all work about the same and grow great plants which are larger and healthier than most soil based plants on the wet/dry cycle.

So, keep us posted on your journey and ask any questions along the way. There are plenty of us growing with these things now so you'll get lots of support as you begin.

Thanks ✌🏻
Welcome GP! Octopot sells 3-gallon, breathable, soft-pot SIPs that have 6-gallon reservoirs. Earthbox appears to have multiple sizes, though where you purchase and the stock they carry will take a little googling.

Consider with the rectangular Earthboxes that you can plant two plants in one pot. It works really well, check out, "Kootsmed" he has a raft of how-to youtube videos and has demonstrated some Earthbox grows that are really helpful.

Build-a-soil also plants two per rectangular Earthbox, and they also have youtube videos illustrating. The thing about Earthboxes is that the reservoir is really small requiring you to water daily, as do the bucket inserts - but this daily chore is something SIPs can relieve you of - so I like SIPs with large reservoirs myself.

Currently, I use a DIY system that's basically a 7-gallon pot on top of a 10-gallon Rubbermaid tote connected by a 4-inch perforated drain pipe. I also run 27 gal totes with false floors and plant two in each. If you need any DIY help just ask. This guy's DIY 420 projects are really solid and I've built almost every DIY project he has on his site and they all rock. Indoor Sub Irrigated Planter (SIP) Build - GrowDoctor Guides

Azimuth speaks truth: DIY SIPs are dead simple to construct but you'll need a drill and a hole-cutting bit-set. They cost about 30$ for a 15-piece set on Amazon and you'll love having them around.

There haven't been many (or any?) examples of it here on 420, but the majority of SIP grow journals you'll find on the other forums are actually living soil organics, you know, the, "Just Add Water" grow style that requires you to put together (or buy) a LOS with enough amendments and microbes to keep the plant fed. SIP plants really, really suck back the nutrients, however, so some top-dressed amendments 3/4 the way through the grow is pretty common with LOS generally.

On the other hand, because the nutrients don't wash away and water use is far more efficient than any other grow style, the overall measure of fertility you need to have in the container isn't actually that high because the plants have easy access and get to use virtually all of it.

For instance, I currently mix my synth fertigation to a relatively low PPM (under 1.0 EC) - am now using only 120-130 ppm Nitrogen in veg - and the plants grow bigger and juicier than they would if in conventional pots with 2x the fertilizer PPM's. So, with respect to synthetic fertilizers, I use half as much as I would in a comparable, traditional, container-type, soilless grow.

It's an awfully attractive idea - pro-biotic SIPs - and I'm told that the weed is mighty fine, and terpy as hell. Currently, I fertigate from below using Mega Crop 2-part or GH Flora three-part, but I have a huge amount of LOS soil cooking and I'll soon be using it in SIPs, including for my outdoor tomatoes and cucumbers (SIP production of these two popular veggies is astonishing, you might want to give it a whirl yourself)

If you're talking commercially sold 3.5 gallon buckets, their dimensions are 11.75 inches diameter by 11 inches high. 5 gallon buckets are 11.75 x 14.5. so the difference is just the extra 3.5 inches in height. That said, the GroBucket inserts would fit in a 3.5 gallon but you'd need to trim 3.5 inches off the fill tube. The water level indicator wouldn't be of much use since it's constructed in a manner that isn't conducive to trimming.

These are my current girls enjoying life in 5 gallon GroBuckets. Day 51, day 15 post flip

You must be pleased with the size of these plants for 51 days all-in, yes? Do you see a definite bump up in biomass? Are you running Osmacote in those, or a custom synth blend? Ever tried Grow Dots?

Build-a-soil also plants two per rectangular Earthbox, and they also have youtube videos illustrating. The thing about Earthboxes is that the reservoir is really small requiring you to water daily, as do the bucket inserts - but this daily chore is something SIPs can relieve you of - so I like SIPs with large reservoirs myself.
My goal was to protect my plants from myself. I oftentimes disappear for 2-3 days at a time and I needed a system that would allow me to do this, while still gardening organically in soil.

As soon as I saw RD's design, I knew it was what I wanted... at least a 6 gallon reservoir. Now my plants get all the water they need, and I water once a week.

You must be pleased with the size of these plants for 51 days all-in, yes?
Yes, 51 days since they broke ground.
Do you see a definite bump up in biomass?
My first harvest of autos grown in SIPs had good weight despite being smaller than anticipated. They got stunted during an experiment with Osmocote. The Osmocote couldn't keep pace with the demand of the plants. Ended up having to feed them my regular nute program (full strength) to get them back on track. Perhaps upping the Osmocote dosage when potting would help, but I think I'm done with experiments with it for a while.
Are you running Osmacote in those, or a custom synth blend?
See above. I'm back to using my custom blended "Farside Nutrients". The recipes are over HERE.
Ever tried Grow Dots?
I have not. I doubt I will. I have about $300 invested in raw salts to blend my own fertilizer. The concept of Dots is similar to Osmocote. I do see that Dots recommend about double the amount per gallon of soil as Osmocote does and their N-P-K numbers are not that dissimilar. So maybe if I doubled the Osmocote it would work. I still have 5lbs of Osmocote on hand if I ever decide to toy with it again.

There haven't been many (or any?) examples of it here on 420, but the majority of SIP grow journals you'll find on the other forums are actually living soil organics, you know, the, "Just Add Water" grow style that requires you to put together (or buy) a LOS with enough amendments and microbes to keep the plant fed.
I follow two and I'm sure there are others:

I follow two and I'm sure there are others:

Thnx. I was aware of these and overlooked them because they are relatively new. Sorry guys, gals and travellers, no harm meant.

Azimuth speaks truth: DIY SIPs are dead simple to construct but you'll need a drill and a hole-cutting bit-set. They cost about 30$ for a 15-piece set on Amazon and you'll love having them around.
I only use one 7/8" hole saw for my fill pipe, and make all the other holes with a soldering iron which I think is preferable to a drill. If you're not careful with the drill you can split the plastic whereas the soldering iron melts a hole and makes a little extra ring of plastic which I actually think strengthens the container.

Gotta be cognizant of the plastic fumes though and do it in a well ventilated area.

Yes, 51 days since they broke ground.

My first harvest of autos grown in SIPs had good weight despite being smaller than anticipated. They got stunted during an experiment with Osmocote. The Osmocote couldn't keep pace with the demand of the plants. Ended up having to feed them my regular nute program (full strength) to get them back on track. Perhaps upping the Osmocote dosage when potting would help, but I think I'm done with experiments with it for a while.

See above. I'm back to using my custom blended "Farside Nutrients". The recipes are over HERE.

I have not. I doubt I will. I have about $300 invested in raw salts to blend my own fertilizer. The concept of Dots is similar to Osmocote. I do see that Dots recommend about double the amount per gallon of soil as Osmocote does and their N-P-K numbers are not that dissimilar. So maybe if I doubled the Osmocote it would work. I still have 5lbs of Osmocote on hand if I ever decide to toy with it again.
yeah, "creeper feeders", as I call timed-release, are all about the solubility rate and that can be very frustrating. It doesn't matter how much fertility you actually have in the pot if it's not releasing fast enough - and there are a lot of local factors involved in that release rate.

However, I'm really blown away by the other products from the company that offers Grow Dots, Real Growers (I think it's called). Their dry-microbe product is, in the opinion of many US Pac NW and Canadian Pac SW growers, the best there is, for our purposes. Real Growers also just released a 5 gal bucket SIP system with external grav-fed reservoir connection, in the last month or so. That makes me want to give the Grow Dots a try, they look like they've got a handle on things in a very competitive market.

However, I have 10-20 kilos of Me3a Cr0p 2-part stored away safely, and various sundry other fertility projects in the works, so it would have to arrive as a gift. I'm just not in the market, and though very, very curious about the company, I'm on a budget.

I jumped on the vermiculture bandwagon and designed a special diet consisting of only "accumulator plants" (very high NPK and/or micro mineral content) plus locally harvested kelp and my leftover mushroom compost from growing edible/medicinal mushrooms. I've got 10 totes running with hundreds of worms in each bin and running since early September I think it was, so now I'm armpit deep in custom-engineered worm castings and have started mixing it with perlite/pumice for seedlings in mini-SIPs.
3AA85D6D-A4E5-48AB-A41B-1CAADC2DA0D6.jpeg

Guess which is an Auto? Fucking autos…

Besides the seaweed and accumulator plants I also lace the worm-bins with a number of endomycorrhizal fungi from different companies that remain in sporulated form as they pass through and out of the worm but "hatch" when in contact with plant roots. I buy the microbe-mix products from NPK, Real Growers and a few others and use it to seed the worm bins. That, along with the worm's special diet ought to mean that, so this goes in my head anyway, the vermicast will be the only fertility product I need to use.

So far so 75% good and I’m gonna blame the genetics for that stunted auto (fucking autos).

I've only just started my first plants using this vermicast and the experiment is to use it alone for a full grow - in SIPS, mixed with some peat, carbon and a lot of aeration (perlite/pumice) I’ll keep y’all updated. Probably.

I've only just started my first plants using this vermicast and the experiment is to use it alone for a full grow - in SIPS, mixed with some peat, carbon and a lot of aeration (perlite/pumice) I’ll keep y’all updated. Probably.
That sounds like a good experiment. I'm doing something similar but am still a couple of months out from finished castings.

I'm ramping up my input plants so that I have a surplus to experiment with.

I only use one 7/8" hole saw for my fill pipe, and make all the other holes with a soldering iron which I think is preferable to a drill. If you're not careful with the drill you can split the plastic whereas the soldering iron melts a hole and makes a little extra ring of plastic which I actually think strengthens the container.

Gotta be cognizant of the plastic fumes though and do it in a well ventilated area.
Yes, agreed Azimuth. Not practical advice for my 6 and 4 inch holes, however, “fix it with 🔥 “ is a personal motto and definitely the way to go where practical. I tell you what else, those little plastic chunks that go everywhere when you drill are extremely hazardous - even in simple systems like SIPs they can cause big problems to deburring and proper cleanup are essential.

Actually both of the rear plants are Autos. My first guess is that they have simply been exposed to too much "nutrition" as autos cannot handle as much, even though it is only worm-castings (its a lot of WC each plant is in). Problem is, the autos are in a differently designed SIP (they are in the plastic pop bottle ones) than the front two- which are Photos. As a result I have to consider the possibility that the SIP design is problematic. Anyway, you can see the burned tips on the larger of the two autos, and splotchiness on the smaller one indicating a likely toxicity. They all have a light-blocking wrap on them most of the time.

Thank you for this @Azimuth , a compendium of our accumulated and combined experience is necessary here.

As a first example I'm not extremely convinced that this is the best way to start new seedlings. I have an experiment now going to prove this is the case.

Thank you for including a picture of my current grow room with 3x 27 gallon sips. I am starting my new seedlings in 17 gallon sips and I have three plants nearing completion that are in 5 gallon sips.

One thing that is immediately obvious is the overall health of the plants in the sips. The plants are processing so much water that they have extreme trunk size and strength in all of the branches and limbs and constantly the leaves are praying to the light.

Ahoy Emilya
I remember telling you I wanted to garden in your fashion. I had to finish up my drought studies. I am hear to learn.

Back
Top Bottom