Is a swick just a sip bucket set up with cloth pots?

..... It was mentioned that swicking and the constant moisture wasn't good for the grow phase because the roots won't fully develop. Is that a real concern?

a swick is a bag setting on top of a tub of perlite or stones that wicks up water into the bag, you water the tub not the plant.

as far as the veg phase, I don't use swick in veg since I'm usually in a small plastic pot. However I do add wicks to most of them. I don't keep it constantly wet but when I water it's from the bottom and I have no issues.

The Everything SWICK Club: 2023 And Beyond

this is about as easy as it gets for under $10

Grow Bucket Kit (1 unit) (Old Style) – Choate Machine & Tool – Choate Store Home

IMG_0574.jpg

Hey Azimuth,

I went back and did some digging in an old, now closed 420 thread. What I was trying to confirm might have an impact on your quest for feeding jadam/KNF thru the SIP reservoir.

anywho I did confirm the “kit” growers were mixing nutes at double strength for bottom feeding….

the main difference is their plants were in traditional (non sip) containers and (many of them but not all) but many did dunk style bottom feeding where the containers were dunked into a larger container having the feed soup and then pulled out to drain and create a rush of oxygen entering the media as the liquids drained out.

obviously dunking a SIP is beyond needless however double strength nutes might be the way to go when feeding from the res…. how would you account for double strength with your KNF potions? Can you condense or cook it down so to speak? Maybe evaporate some liquid off with fan?
Thanks, 13. :thanks:

My KNF and Jadam ferts start out concentrated and then get diluted with water, so it is very easy to adjust the strength by adjusting the water component. For example, the KNF version is typically diluted 1:1,000, while the Jadam nutes are diluted 1:30 normally. So, there's lots of room to make adjustments.

I'm actually feeding them at 2x my normal strength and think I may be too much so I've been playing around with different things, so your post is timely,

Is a swick just a sip bucket set up with cloth pots?
I view SIPs as mostly having an internal, connected reservoir while Swicks separate them and reconnect by some sort of mechanical item like a rope or wicking pad, that sort of thing. No hard and fast rules or definitions, though.

A bit of a question. With the areas/cups that will be mostly submerged in water, should they be stuffed with perlite or with the soil?
Either works.

Is there a limit to how high up perlite can wick up to or can part of the soil sit in water for such a long time?
You'd have to ask the Hempy guys about how high up perlite can wick, but it's well beyond the 3-4" it needs to to be a wick for us, and yes, soil can be used as well.

It was mentioned that swicking and the constant moisture wasn't good for the grow phase because the roots won't fully develop. Is that a real concern?
We get different type roots so if you are looking for the traditional thick white roots typical of the wet/dry cycle you might conclude that the roots didn't properly develop. With a proper air gap at the root level, we can keep our roots wetter than you'd typically want, which gives the plant constant access to water and nute so there is no pause in the growth, unlike what happens during the dry cycle of most soil grows.

Bucket not included.
the name is misleading isn't it, but still a good start for someone not very handy at putting a self made together.
I clicked on the home page to see what other garden products and all it was was a bunch of gun stocks, weird combo.

the name is misleading isn't it, but still a good start for someone not very handy at putting a self made together.
I clicked on the home page to see what other garden products and all it was was a bunch of gun stocks, weird combo.
It's a great idea but it seems to be designed for a very specific bucket that is apparently "readily available from a variety of sources near you."

They may know more about me than I'm comfortable with.

I saw these in Lowe's the other day and thought they might be adaptable...

TnHflJGnVJAbKVedmyOwaczGzw=w668-h889-no?authuser=0.jpg

Bucket not included.
Yeah beware though! @Weffalo ordered something very similar to his part of the world and thrn found he couldn’t find the right sized bucket in an Imperial/Metric kerfuffle!
I saw these in Lowe's the other day and thought they might be adaptable...

TnHflJGnVJAbKVedmyOwaczGzw=w668-h889-no?authuser=0.jpg
Everything is hackable, its one of my favourite bits 🤣

I view SIPs as mostly having an internal, connected reservoir while Swicks separate them and reconnect by some sort of mechanical item like a rope or wicking pad, that sort of thing. No hard and fast rules or definitions, though.
Either works.
You'd have to ask the Hempy guys about how high up perlite can wick, but it's well beyond the 3-4" it needs to to be a wick for us, and yes, soil can be used as well.
We get different type roots so if you are looking for the traditional thick white roots typical of the wet/dry cycle you might conclude that the roots didn't properly develop. With a proper air gap at the root level, we can keep our roots wetter than you'd typically want, which gives the plant constant access to water and nute so there is no pause in the growth, unlike what happens during the dry cycle of most soil grows.

Thank you for that response. I saw a youtube video where it seems like a guy is using a 3 gallon bucket full of perlite with his hempy pot. Well over 3-4" indeed :) Your pots seem to wick from the edge of the bucket while there others wicking from the center alone. Wonder if there is a difference in the long run.

Rootwise, as long as the yields and quality is fine then the roots can rock it anyway they like. I wouldn't mind using a cloth pot on top of the reservoir with some Coot's dirt on top :)

Either way following this thread and thank you for creating some content for us to learn from! Happy growing!

a swick is a bag setting on top of a tub of perlite or stones that wicks up water into the bag, you water the tub not the plant.

as far as the veg phase, I don't use swick in veg since I'm usually in a small plastic pot. However I do add wicks to most of them. I don't keep it constantly wet but when I water it's from the bottom and I have no issues.

Awesome to know. Thank you!

I want to update us all on my earth box SIP. After months of sexing I got a female and am so far getting what appears to be the 2 week root remanaging. She woke a couple of days ago and looks good so far!
Before 2 weeks
after
And a 24 hour growth after topping
At topping
24 hours later
So cool!

Highya SO,

She's soaring to new heights!! Great work on her! If she grows like that the rest of the way, her buds will be like a 3 liter container!! That would be awesome! Yeah, she is enjoying producing green, for sure!! Happy Smokin'

Highya SO,

She's soaring to new heights!! Great work on her! If she grows like that the rest of the way, her buds will be like a 3 liter container!! That would be awesome! Yeah, she is enjoying producing green, for sure!! Happy Smokin'
Whew! One day at a time now. Color still good today! Oh yeah Bode! My scrog filled with 3 ltr colas! I'm in!

My last flower was a DIY SIP. Had a bad time with plant mold during flower. The pistils became dark orange and the sweet leafs were blood red.

I would have been disappointed if I wanted to smoke the bud but I prefer extraction, like bubble-hash, anyways. The loose buds and leafs will hopefully make for easier extraction.

I am still smoking trim hash and it is groovy, baby! :slide:Not a veg kinda smike. Good for when you gotta get shit done.
My next batch will be my first time with cured bud... Can't wait!:yahoo:

Yet one pot drank twice as much as the other. One had a layer of gravel and the other, perlite. Have yet to disassemble the pots to see which is which but I will choose the one that drank the most.

So for the hell of it, my next phase of my perpetual grow will be a comparison between my organic-buddy @Azimuth 's SIP versus @Bill284 air pots. I lost all my followers but you both and I feel sooo lonely.. I need to grow my followers like you guys so .... cock fight it is.:rofl:

Take care and grow well!
:peace:

Back
Top Bottom