Yes the air gap has to be enforced whereas it's impossible to violate by filling up the reservoir.
Got it. Sounds like an internal fixed-minimum air gap that air prunes roots?
@Azimuth?
@Hashhound?
In my containers the gap or the ceiling of the reservoir where above the soil sits is hard set to 6 in.
Ok.
I however have a hole at the 5 inch mark where any extra water is drained away so it is impossible for my water level to rise up to where the soil is. The air gap is permanent and cannot be violated.
Ok, got it!
Your model suggests that a SIP is a self-contained unit with an internal permanent-minimum air gap that cannot be violated.
Anyone have anything against that?

Ladies Gentlemen, I will take heat on this one, it was defs meant as a joke tho….

Why can’t we all just hit a bong??
@013, I don't see it as a negative. (Repeat after me: there is ALWAYS a positive!)
I see it as a positive opportunity to develop a good working definition of SIP and SWICK, so that we can nip the confuzzion in the bud, BEFORE it populates the Google and Bing search engines.
I think that is worth hashing this thing out for, to eliminate confusion for others.

The problem is that sip stands for sub irrigation planter, and by that literal definition sips and swips and wicks all fit in that definition.
Right!
As I came into this I was instructed that it was all about the air gap, and that this was called sip.
Me, too!
I considered the other bottom feeding methods where wicks were being used or a container was just set in a basin of water on top of a pile of perlite or some other medium, to be swicks as I had first learned about by reading SweetSue's work.
Ok, I never met SweetSue, but I agree with you that other bottom feeding methods where wicks are being used seem like SWICKs, because there is a purposeful use of a (generally artificial) wick.
Further, the res seems to be generally external to the soil pot.
I still maintain my stance that a swick is a sip and a sip might be a swick, but that what we're doing with that all important 1-in air gap should have a different name.
I can agree to that! I think everyone here would be glad to have a good set of names and definitions! So I can go back to my vaporizer! Haha!
Maybe GapSip TurboSIP or something like that.
Could be fun to bat around ideas for names and definitions!
Maybe that will help identify this unique method as something different than a simple wick, because I certainly don't want anybody arguing about who is doing what, which way is best or whatever.
Right! But I think everyone here sees you as a knkowledgeable expert, and we are all still very much in transition to SIP and SWICK.
I am just one man, but I was enrolled for a Ph.D. in Psychology at one point (long story), and I have many years of counseling experience, and I did not detect any aggression on your part.
Stating what you believe to be the truth and defending it without aggression is not wrong!
So, NO SLINKING!! (At least not this time! Haha!)

Yes. I consider that air gap to be the special magic that turbo charges this method. But that then goes beyond the literal definition of sub irrigation planter. So the air gap is not a necessary function of a sip, but whatever we are doing here needs a new name that describes the importance of that air gap
Ahh, ok! Great!
So what did you think about @Hashhound 's idea with the four new categories?
(Please give me a minute, and I will go quote and paste.)

@Emilya Green , what do you think about this suggestion by @Hashhound ?
as far as what is to be called what, if they were to create a new forum category, it would have SIPS as the heading with media filled cup SIPS, SWICKS, WICKS, and maybe HEMPYS as the sub category's.
They are all abbreviations we use instead of typing out sub-irrigated planters every time
@Azimuth ?
Shed?
Otter?

This is where I get confused because my tub with a wickfoot qualifies as both, without mentioning the air gap. I have a separate reservoir that is not connected to the soil except through a wick foot which technically could be a cloth wick instead.
Hmmm.....
So maybe SIPS as the forum category heading, with the following sub-categories?
1. Media Filled Cup SIPS,
2. SWICKS,
3. WICKS
4. HEMPYS, and
EMILYA'S HYBRID WICKFOOT?
Haha

I also would like to come up with the formal definition of SWICK. The best I can determine is that the term started on this forum, and must have stood for SweetSue's Wick, and SSWICK was shortened to SWICK. Anyone remember?
Sorry, I never met SweetSue (but it sounds like a good legend)!

For a definition of SWICK, how about this for a starter suggestion:

SWICK normally has a reservoir that is external to the soil (or sustrate media) cup. The soil (or substrate media) cup is normally connected to the reservoir by an artificial wick, such that there is no fixed air gap.

How can that be improved?
@Azimuth ?
@UsualSuspectsHaha ?

how would a wick be any different?
Oh, you mean Sub-Category 4?? Or something else?

OPTION A:
Maybe SIPS as a new forum category heading, with the following sub-categories?
1. Media Filled Cup SIPS
2. Air Gapped SIPS
3. SWICKS
4. WICKS
5. HEMPYS
??

I dunno. I was just copying and pasting from @Hashhound 's comment, since he has been around this stuff way longer than I have.
I am fine with either deleting or combining categories 3 and 4 (but I don't know).

OPTION B:
Maybe SIPS as a new forum category heading, with the following sub-categories?
1. Media Filled Cup SIPS
2. Air Gapped SIPS
3. SWICKS & WICKS
4. HEMPYS

But I would not know a "wick" grow if I was toking from it.
What is the difference between a SWICK and a WICK?

I don't know from WICK, so I wonder if OPTION B provides for @Carmen Ray 's needs.

@Hashhound , can you please enlighten us as to why you put SWICK and WICK as different categories?

Checking back in first time in a while. I have a Dosidos Rocketas photo ready to top and transplant in the next few days. Going in my outdoor SIP when its ready. (Dog licked my GSC to death that started in there) Dog precautions taken for this one.

How are people’s grows going? Plant pics not semantics 😂

Wanted to post this sorry to interupt any conversations as I'm about 4 pages behind. But I just updated my SIPPIN Suzanne journal and wanted to invite you to follow the madness that is unfolding!

I COMPLETELY MISJUDGED THE POWER OF THE SIP!

I have never seen roots this massive on such a little plant. Idk maybe this is normal for a plant in a 2.5-gal bucket after 38 days from seed?!
0B313270-8EB5-4CE6-B8DD-B92E78C7FA4C.jpeg

AA1935E9-FA39-4357-9BD8-E0DE82F9EF4B.jpeg

8983751E-5CAF-4433-934C-90415F35500A.jpeg

There were more roots than I could have imagined, and the worst part was they had grown so deeply into the Vermiculite wicking foot and the screen that getting her out of the bucket and the foot pulled off and the screen pulled off was painful.
All I could do was rip them off as gently as I could and remind myself that "people cut the roots during up potting all the time" :rofl:

These things are ridiculous! We're really pushing the boundaries of what these plants can normally do, and I LOVE IT!
SIP is the most inaccurate nickname ever btw I know its Sub Irrigated Planter but does that thing look like it takes SIPs to any of you all?! :rofl:

Sorry please carry on!

Wanted to post this sorry to interupt any conversations as I'm about 4 pages behind. But I just updated my SIPPIN Suzanne journal and wanted to invite you to follow the madness that is unfolding!

These things are ridiculous! We're really pushing the boundaries of what these plants can normally do, and I LOVE IT!
SIP is the most inaccurate nickname ever btw I know its Sub Irrigated Planter but does that thing look like it takes SIPs to any of you all?! :rofl:

Sorry please carry on!
This is one time I REALLLLLLLLLLLLY wish I would have been caught up with the thread before posting! :yikes:
This was not meant to question the definition of the SIP Just play on words.

This is one time I REALLLLLLLLLLLLY wish I would have been caught up with the thread before posting! :yikes:
This was not meant to question the definition of the SIP Just play on words.
Hey lootz. As far as I understand it, this is a community thread and you shouldn't feel that your contributions are out of place. It seems there is some misunderstanding about definitions that goes beyond mere semantics. Your comments are helpful in this regard.

Ughhh... I'm sorry Azi, and everyone else too. I saw a post in here that referred to "swicking" as something that was supposed to be addressed in the "Swicking" thread.

I don't really care about what you guys want to call it, I only want to know if I am allowed to discuss my method in here or should I take it to the swicking thread?

I didn't want to ask it that way because that would have put Azi possibly in the uncomfortable position of telling me to go elsewhere to discuss it.

The name is irrellevant. I see both techniques as having advantages, I just, in my little mind, see swicking as being far more versatile than sipping because by lowering my canning jar I can move my gradient far more than a sip can, as a sip is hardwired to a fixed distance from the floor of the reservoir.

Swicking has no set distance as you can move the floor so a 1" air gap can easily be set to a 6" air gap (or whatever works best, no science on it yet until my seedlings get old enough to cut clones from to test), which changes the gradient and hopefully will root clones straight into a sip/swick rooted plant without any root converting time. If it works then all you need is the distance from the reservoir surface to the soil surface and with the right heighted pot you should be able to cut a clone straight into its final pot with zero uppotting, but you need full control of the gradient.

Sip, swick, wick,bottom watered, it doesnt matter.

Azi how far was it from your water level to the soil surface? If you got 3 to work then you are close. Lets quit bickering and figure that out. Could be a bust, or a game-changer.

The point that I have been trying to make is that the so-called "swick" is a sub-irrigation method that works off a wicking surface, and that it does indeed fall into the broad definition of SIP (sub-irrigated Planter). I started the SWICK thread on @Azimuth suggestion. It definitely states that it is NOT trying to reinvent the wheel. That thread is available to the community for having these kinds of discussions. We are all learners here.

:ciao: everyone. Your friendly, local mod here.

We encourage and enjoy vigorous and spirited debate. And there is good work being done here. Let's keep the community spirit.

We have reviewed the thread and removed a few posts. Individuals have been advised as appropriate. No posts of solid content have been removed and no-one has said or done anything terrible. We just want to keep it on-topic.

As Carmen said, "this is a community thread" and you are all creating something very useful. So take a breath. We're all on the same side. This thread has great content for current and future members and guests.

Love to all of you SIPers and SWICKers. Teddy.

:thanks:

I also would like to come up with the formal definition of SWICK. The best I can determine is that the term started on this forum, and must have stood for SweetSue's Wick, and SSWICK was shortened to SWICK. Anyone remember?
This is discussed in the SWICK thread, which you will find here. The understanding we have in that thread is that SWICK comes from joining the word SIP with the word WICK. I have done extensive reading of previous posts and threads and I can't find any reference to suggest why the earlier wicking conversations termed it a SWICK. I suggest that we use the practical definition, which is a SIP Wick, or Swick for short.

Back
Top Bottom