Unfortunately I have nothing to offer in this situation. I will likely be fighting humidity the next few days due to rain but it's generally dry where I live. At this time my tents are in the garage, the flower tent vents the humidity into the garage by fan. I don't know how big your grow space is, but dehumidifiers are not cheap. Good luck!

Not telling you what to do but maybe you should try running your carbon filter in your grow room not venting outside that room to control the odor and put a dehumidifier in the room to control the humidity.
Not at all Homer...in fact I have already looked at a dehumidifier for the garage as it's my simplest solution. But I am looking for one with an auto drain so I don't have to go out each day and drain it.
The hole is rather inexpensive. A cold chisel, a sawzall and a 2x4 for framing. My plan was to have the fan hooked up to a digital hygrometer with a digital output to cycle the fan on and off.

Again, simplest and quickest is to use what I have with the setup already running and try and figure out the solution, which as you mentioned, is most likely with a dehumidifier.

Unfortunately I have nothing to offer in this situation. I will likely be fighting humidity the next few days due to rain but it's generally dry where I live. At this time my tents are in the garage, the flower tent vents the humidity into the garage by fan. I don't know how big your grow space is, but dehumidifiers are not cheap. Good luck!
Hi Wally,
the grow space is only 4x4 and no place for a dehumidifier. But the option of ripping out all the drywall every year is not really an option, lol, so as expensive as they are, it's still cheaper than the constant repairs.
Thanks for the input!

Thanks Dutchie! But I did run into a problem that snuck up on me.
I vent into my garage and with the warm moist air I managed to get me a good little mold going. Now I need to rethink things over the winter until I can cut a hole in the garage and vent outside.
I'm going to have to install my carbon filter and exhaust into the basement where I can control the humidity.
Sucks big time bro. Hopefully I caught it soon enough where it can be cleaned and get on with it.

That sucks man sorry to hear but I agree easiest solution is vent it outside. I have mine venting into my attic and out a vent to the outside. Simple and easy!

This spring though I’m moving my whole grow setup to the main floor and taking over our office as the grow den then I will be venting out through a window but I’ll have my 3 tents setup in there so figuring out my vent work will be tricky lol

The sell one at Target 50 pint dehumidifier for $179. Features external drain connector. Can likely fit in corner of tent.
Hi Wally,
Target lasted about 6 months here in Canada and went out of business. So, we get Walmart basically. Also, add about 20% to the cost of everything here in Canada. Having said that here is what I got coming in.

View media item 1640239
It has a built in pump and I don't have to watch it. Set it for whatever level I need it to be and we should be good to go for the remainder of the season.

That sucks man sorry to hear but I agree easiest solution is vent it outside. I have mine venting into my attic and out a vent to the outside. Simple and easy!
I even talked myself out of moisture buildup in the garage when I first contemplated where to vent. I didn't think the garage was that well sealed.

If you don’t have room for your humidifier in your grow room I guess you have no option but I am shocked that so many people vent outside. Maybe you people are not located in a cold winter climate like me but I would see that as the equivalent of leaving my front door cracked open 3 inches all winter long as far as losing heat energy. If you are pumping warm air outside that means it is being replaced by cold winter air coming in your house somewhere. Maybe I’m just in a colder area or I’m cheaper than everybody else, LOL.

I agree with you Homer, but in my case I vent to the garage. I am actually heating up my garage with the warm air which acts as a curtain so to speak between the inside walls of the house and the outside. So I'm not bringing in cold air, just venting my tent into a cold area.

I agree with you Homer, but in my case I vent to the garage. I am actually heating up my garage with the warm air which acts as a curtain so to speak between the inside walls of the house and the outside. So I'm not bringing in cold air, just venting my tent into a cold area.

I am glad you see I am just trying to be helpful and pay it back for all the help you have given me. You seem very capable and I am sure you will solve your problem. Best of luck with whatever you decide. :thumb:

I am glad you see I am just trying to be helpful and pay it back for all the help you have given me. You seem very capable and I am sure you will solve your problem. Best of luck with whatever you decide. :thumb:
That's one of the things I like about the site. It's all feedback and opinions and yours mattered. I did go with half of your solution and kept it so I don't have to redesign my whole layout. So thanks for that!
Remember, not one member knows everything, but many members together will solve anything.

Remember, not one member knows everything, but many members together will solve anything.
That inspiring quote almost brought a tear to my eye.... I vote we make that the fourm motto!!!!! :bravo:

Evening mr.Sauga that's a right beauty of a wake up call if ya don't mind me saying......

Dunno if this might help the pickle you are in, but a local fella here at home uses a sort of towel type thing found in the laundry/linen department that sucks damp/humidity out. And it works very well for him in controlling humidity in his tent....
Don't know if this would help but it's something random that might just work.

Or you can use large tubs of coarse rock salt in the corners also does the trick......

Have a great weekend...

Evening mr.Sauga that's a right beauty of a wake up call if ya don't mind me saying......

Dunno if this might help the pickle you are in, but a local fella here at home uses a sort of towel type thing found in the laundry/linen department that sucks damp/humidity out. And it works very well for him in controlling humidity in his tent....
Don't know if this would help but it's something random that might just work.

Or you can use large tubs of coarse rock salt in the corners also does the trick......

Have a great weekend...
Hello Smeegs and I hope you're havin' a cracking good weekend so far!

I might not have been clear on how I explained things. The temp and humidity in the tent is fine. I have no problems controlling that. The problem is I vent the air from the tent into my garage attached to the house. I guess over the period the warm moist air has been inside the garage with nowhere to go, so the moisture has built up. In the summer the garage is always open so it never mattered, but in the winter it's closed. It's my first winter as a grower and I hadn't planned that would be an issue since I went all summer with no issues.

Thanks for the tip and have a blessed day my friend.

What does the humidity run in the garage right now? Is there attic space above the garage that a simple vent would improve air flow? I vent from my tent directly into the attic. There is plenty of ventilation up there via soffit and louvres. I just cleared any insulation away from the port I made. The open space allows moisture to dissipate pretty quickly. So far so good. I would imagine the small amount of humidity vented out of your tent should be harmless to the garage with just a little airflow. But with no airflow I imagine it gets stagnant in there. Just brainstorming here but could something like a towel draped over the vent the humid air comes out of help soak up some moisture before it really enters the garage?

What does the humidity run in the garage right now? Is there attic space above the garage that a simple vent would improve air flow? I vent from my tent directly into the attic. There is plenty of ventilation up there via soffit and louvres. I just cleared any insulation away from the port I made. The open space allows moisture to dissipate pretty quickly. So far so good. I would imagine the small amount of humidity vented out of your tent should be harmless to the garage with just a little airflow. But with no airflow I imagine it gets stagnant in there. Just brainstorming here but could something like a towel draped over the vent the humid air comes out of help soak up some moisture before it really enters the garage?

Hi Magoo, and thanks for your input!
I didn't check the humidity as I opened the garage for the day to get it cold and stop the mold from progressing. I do have plenty of space to go to the attic, but I would still need to vent to the garage and then to the attic. My tent is two floors below the attic so the only access is through the garage. To top it off there is a deadspace between the garage roof and the attic( about 10') which makes it difficult to get the hose up there. I could fish it but it may be more of a headache than anything.

You hit it right when you said there is no air movement. The tent only gets around 40-50% and now is a lot less. But with the 75 degree temps and the humidity just being high enough to stir things up was enough to get it going. Typically mold is fine below 50% for not accumulating so I have to sum it up to no air exchange. If the garage was cold like it is every year I would have been OK as well, but didn't put the two and two together so to speak.

It's something I will address come Spring but for now I have to get that humidity out without being the only neighbor with his garage door open in winter 24/7.

Thanks again Magoo.

Back
Top Bottom