OTM's DIY Bubble Cloning & Sprouting 40 Year Old Seeds & Current RDWC Harvest

Oh boy, my mind is about to explode as I have binge read this thread over the last few nights. Firstly, let me thank all the great contributors to this grow, what a community. Such positive vibes by all!

And Old TimmingMan, my most heartfelt thanks for your sharing of your quest. We all have so much to learn and for me, you have been a great teacher. I'm a firm believer that knowledge is the best gift and you have filled my basket. Thank you, thank you, thank you...

I too am an old timer, the 60's and 70's were my play time. The scene was set and we were all part of a bigger movement ya dig? The last few years has gotten me to think about a few things and how I might help some people with their medical needs. Some of those people are very close to me and I know there are good ways to help them with their pain and anguish.

So I went to my basement and retrieved a lunch box from days gone by. A lunch box that faithfully provided the seeds for the spring. A lunch box that made me smile when I opened for the first time since the late '80's.

And a few mementos from the old days!

I've got a few things to sort out and get together. Then I'm going to start my own adventure. This old dog is learning many new tricks and I hope to share it with you and hopefully give back to the community at large.

Be well, much respect.

Oh boy, my mind is about to explode as I have binge read this thread over the last few nights. Firstly, let me thank all the great contributors to this grow, what a community. Such positive vibes by all!

And Old TimmingMan, my most heartfelt thanks for your sharing of your quest. We all have so much to learn and for me, you have been a great teacher. I'm a firm believer that knowledge is the best gift and you have filled my basket. Thank you, thank you, thank you...

I too am an old timer, the 60's and 70's were my play time. The scene was set and we were all part of a bigger movement ya dig? The last few years has gotten me to think about a few things and how I might help some people with their medical needs. Some of those people are very close to me and I know there are good ways to help them with their pain and anguish.

So I went to my basement and retrieved a lunch box from days gone by. A lunch box that faithfully provided the seeds for the spring. A lunch box that made me smile when I opened for the first time since the late '80's.

I've got a few things to sort out and get together. Then I'm going to start my own adventure. This old dog is learning many new tricks and I hope to share it with you and hopefully give back to the community at large.

Be well, much respect.

Wow!! That's all I can say.

Be well, much respect.

Welcome aboard RR! :welcome:

Looks like you will have a great adventure ahead of you! Hopefully they were stored well and you can coax a few to pop. I would recommend storing them in the freezer until you are ready to go, probably sacrifice a couple first by cutting them in half with a razor blade to see if they are viable or turned to dust over time, they should have a waxy off-white center.

Take your time planning things out, I spent a good 6 months prepping for my first grow, the old beans I found were a unplanned surprise but with the help of the internet and a lot of great advice from everyone here I have had some success.

If you have any questions just ask and when you are ready to roll let us know so we can follow along!:passitleft:

RumRunner:

Do you know the strains of those old seeds? Hopefully with some of OldTimingMan's techniques you can coax some of them to life.

As with OTM's situation, we grew based on what we were told the strain was, lacking positive verification. We would use pretty generic terminology but we knew good smoke when we had it. What I have here is:

Generic "Columbian" - this was a HUGE plant often reaching 7-8ft tall and the same in width. Because of their size we would plant them individually on fence rows or in forested areas next to corn fields.

Generic "Jamaican" - we never killed our males and these were grown in large patch's in forest clearings, often in water logged areas, ie: swamps, to keep the deer at bay

Panama Red - as the name suggests, the (usually seed filled) buds were always of a wonderful reddish color. These were often grown surrounded by snow fences on friends farms to keep the critters at bay.

Acapulco Gold - this one was always interesting as Mexican brick weed was rampant. It sold for $210 a LB back then. However about one in 20 bricks was far superior to the others and we pulled seeds. We grew huge patch's in corn fields.

Out of the 4 varieties I have I am actually very interested in the Acapulco Gold. It's a nostalgia thing for me and reading up over the last few months Land Race varieties tickle my frontal lobe.

I have something stashed away that might be of interest to the group. Give me a few hours to pull it out.

Lastly, I do not want to thread jack OTM's work, so I my posts are not appropriate here, please let me know. I do plan on stating my own grow journal but that will be in the futuire until I'm geared up.

Welcome aboard RR! :welcome:

Looks like you will have a great adventure ahead of you! Hopefully they were stored well and you can coax a few to pop. I would recommend storing them in the freezer until you are ready to go, probably sacrifice a couple first by cutting them in half with a razor blade to see if they are viable or turned to dust over time, they should have a waxy off-white center.

Take your time planning things out, I spent a good 6 months prepping for my first grow, the old beans I found were a unplanned surprise but with the help of the internet and a lot of great advice from everyone here I have had some success.

If you have any questions just ask and when you are ready to roll let us know so we can follow along!:passitleft:

Thank you for the welcome OTM's I appreciate that.

I would say the storage was ok. They have always been sealed in the film canisters and never in a wet environment. Usually in a basement or a garage. There was a 4 year period when they were stored in sealed room in a barn while we lived in the Caribbean. I guess mother nature will determine their future.

I have learned lots from this thread so I'm hoping my skills are up to it. :thumb:

Thank you for the welcome OTM's I appreciate that.

I would say the storage was ok. They have always been sealed in the film canisters and never in a wet environment. Usually in a basement or a garage. There was a 4 year period when they were stored in sealed room in a barn while we lived in the Caribbean. I guess mother nature will determine their future.

I have learned lots from this thread so I'm hoping my skills are up to it. :thumb:

You are at the right place to help you along, Conrad's Landrace 101 thread is a good read as is Hash Hound's attempt to pop old seeds. Feel free to post what ever you want here until you get cranked up, the only thing I have been up to lately is watching the weeds grow!;)

Thanks for the pointers on those threads OTM:thanks:

Here's something I dug up. Yes I still have vinyl, lots and lots of vinyl. This one was special...

I think I could stare at this cover for hours:

"Hey maybe that's you,
Hey maybe that's me,
Hey maybe we are not to be until we see differently..."

QBZ22fB.jpg

A lil Jam anyone?

CLd2PW7.jpg

Yes please, I love jam...

I guess I thought I was Syms Covington, cabin boy naught! But I did keep momento's.

I wonder how fertile that old pollen is?

Its fun to discover things from days of old, especially when you have completely forgotten about it or thought it was lost for ever...I will be heading back to the homestead where I grew up next week to try and figure out what to do with it, my father won't be leaving the care facility and my mother passed a couple years ago so it is up to me and my sisters to decide what is worth keeping and what is not.

My mother was a organized hoarder so I am sure I will discover other goodies that I though was long gone!:laughtwo:

Cherish those memories and make those surprises you find last. A big part of the healing process when we loose our loved ones is reliving all the good times. All the best to your Dad, I hope his remaining time here with us is peaceful.

OTM and RumRunner, you guys are the idol of many of us here. I wish I was smart enough to do that back then. You guys have some true unmolested genetics. I don't know where either of you are, but I hope you are close to each other to share your genetics and keep them alive for others. May your gardens always glisten with forgotten frost.

12-6 Strain Differences Observed;

Been wanting to do this for a long time, finally got my new flatbed scanner and set up the light outside the grow room for better pictures, the pictures I take in the room even with added light and the burples off just don't seen to represent the differences that I see every time I walk in, so I will compare the leaves, bud shots and describe the odor I smell off my fingers which is really starting to get overwhelming when I first open the door!:yummy:

I will start with the CKS Purple Kush:
This plant shows very little frost, I see no Purple but it has the hairiest looking buds, Pistils everywhere, the smell is like Kerosene mixed with Acetone. The three Purple Kush plants in the room range from 45" to 49" tall, they have the smallest and skinniest leaves of all three, the color is what I would call a true green.
CKS advertises it to be 75% Indica but when compared to the CKS White Widow which is up next advertised as only 60% Indica, something doesn't add up.
The buds on these are firm but not rock hard, these tend to be long stacking buds, they seem to fill in nice but tend to get more airy towards the bottom of the cola. CKS advertises this to be a 8-10 week flower which was about right with my last harvest.
The high from the last harvest is very energetic, a good day smoke, it is a little harsh at first but longer curing will take some of the edge off.

IMG_20171206_0001.jpg

12-6_006.JPG

12-6_008.JPG

The CKS White Widow is the shortest plant of the bunch at a little over 41", it is a slower grower and has the fattest, darkest, green leaves for only 60% Indica as advertised. It is the frostiest of the bunch and really turns it up in the last few weeks. There are less pistils than the Kush, it makes some nice top to bottom rock hard Christmas tree shape buds that really swell up in the last couple weeks. CKS advertizes this as a 8 week flower, my last went a little over 12 weeks and this one is looking on par with its mother.
The smell on these sticky buds is like grape jam with a hint of gasoline, it is my night time favorite, it gets better with a longer cure but is smooth to begin with. Plan on not being to active after a few hits, just relax and enjoy, when its time for bed, it will be lights out and double shot the coffee in the morning because it carries over.

IMG_20171206_0002.jpg

12-6_009.JPG

12-6_011.JPG

Hayley is a wonder of her own, she is late 70's Maui Wowi bagseed, the largest of the bunch at almost 56". She looks very much like what I remember years ago, wide at the bottom with a tall main cola followed by tiers of second, third, and forth buds.
Her leaves are the largest and are shaped somewhere between the Kush & Widow, her color is a lighter green than the rest and she has a health real thick stock compared to the others.
Her buds are very different that the other two, they are more of a cream color and the pistils tend to knot up at the calyx making little curled knots. They are quite firm and have thick, almost matted tiny slightly frosty sugar leaves developing down the bud. The smell is like Juicy Fruit gum with a hint of Pine.
I remember the high as being very stony, talkative, and giggly, its been almost 40 years so in a few short months we will see how good my memory is!:laughtwo:

IMG_20171206_0003.jpg

12-6_013.JPG

12-6_014.JPG

Growing is fun, today's technology helps us share our hobbies with others, it keeps old people like me busy and still learning, so sharing things I learn with a great group like everyone here is icing on the cake!:thanks:

OTM and RumRunner, you guys are the idol of many of us here. I wish I was smart enough to do that back then. You guys have some true unmolested genetics. I don't know where either of you are, but I hope you are close to each other to share your genetics and keep them alive for others. May your gardens always glisten with forgotten frost.

JM, I plan on sharing this with the rest of the world if its viable and makes sense, it will take some time to get all the ducks & bucks in a row, but if there is way you and others will have some of this in your grow room. Keep the faith!:slide:

So I was telling you the other day that my bubble cloner didn't seem to be doing much. I went to take it down today and I pull 3 out of 4 clones and they've all got great root systems started!! Two BB's and another run of the mill 818 Headband. Super stoked about the BB clones!!!

OTM, the Maui Wowie is looking amazing! Awesome job! I'll catch up on the progress as soon as I can, it looks like I'm back just in time for the best part! Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom