Noobs First Grow - First In Ten Years

You can splay them open a bit to get more light to the lower areas. You can also ponytail the new too growth to get more light to the lower reaches. Both of those techniques will have help the growth balance out. As they get taller you can restrain the tallest point below the rest of the plant and this will also slow vertical growth in favor of letting the side growth catch up.

You have many LST options.

As they get taller you can restrain the tallest point below the rest of the plant and this will also slow vertical growth in favor of letting the side growth catch up.

You have many LST options.

I'm confused as to what your are talking about Sue. Here's a hug for confusing me :) :hug:

I'm confused as to what your are talking about Sue. Here's a hug for confusing me :) :hug:
Look at the pics in nismo12's 2nd grow. We have some of the plants with string tied on them. That's spreading the branches. Lst... low stress training. Helps light get to the lower branches so they get big and have a better chance at a higher harvest

Today, I am grieving. I have had Prince in my life since I was a small child. My mother loved him as much as I. She was the person who turned me on to a lot of the music I love today. I remember sitting on the floor in my house as a child, listening to Purple Rain on our huge console stereo. I would start the song over and over and over until my mom would turn it off. She would say "I love Purple Rain too. But, there are a lot of other great songs on that album. You have to listen to the other songs first next time before you play Purple Rain" I miss her so much.

RIP Prince

20160418_101844.jpg
Hope this helps ya..

Hey, I'll take that hug. I see the Calvert came to your rescue though. Sorry for the confusion. :hug:

I watered this morning. I wanted to water last night but I have been forcing myself to wait at least overnight before I water. I think I might have been overdoing it with the under watering. :laugh: One of my plants, just the bottom set of leaves are cupping. I know cupping happens when they have:
1. Too much light, I would think the upper leaves would be cupping first if that were the case.
2. too much water, I just established that I let the soil get very dry so that isn't it
3. too much fertilizer or nutrients, the only thing I have added is rapidstart. 1ml a gallon of water. probably not
4. Under watering, I think we have a winner. being that it was just the one plant and it was just the bottom set of leaves that were cupping, I believe that I let the plant go a little too long. I think this soil doesn't hold the moisture very well so I will be watering every other day until I transplant.

Transplant... The next pot up will be the 3 gallon pots. I already have a few plants that are showing roots at the bottom of the containers. I JUST transplanted on the 19th. Wow. The problem is that I would like to wait a little while longer to let the other plants catch up a bit. I hope this won't hurt the plants with roots showing by waiting. My oldest C99 is getting taller by the day. It is amazing to watch these plants grow.

It's hard to underwater the species Noob. You may be right there, but they're resilient beyond belief. I like the neat way you reasoned that out though. :laughtwo:

If they get root bound you can always slice the bottom inch or so off when you transplant the next time.

Good afternoon. :hug::hug::hug: :circle-of-love:

Hey Noob,...and SS, Noob, no worries pal, just cuz ya see roots at the holes , doesn't mean they're rootbound...all good , they will wait for your others as you wish. Just make sure you don't let them dry out too much now, go by the weight of them....full wet ...to full dry, get to know the difference. One more thing....if i may ,..for the next upcanning...go right to your finals and skip anything else. Put them into the largest pots you have...the more soil...the more final produce you'le get, period. Cheers Noob, have an awesome weekend... and oh ya btw, i gave the KK's five gal's. each today before the lights went out...it's been ten days....the tops started to collaps , so i gave them a nice drink. Pics to follow tonight . Did some more SCing., so i'l give them a couple hrs. with the lights on and check them out then...later gang.

Sorry I've been absent from the training discussion, no way to treat my favourite Noob.. :) the previous replies pretty much cover the LST. I'll just add this... Use your instincts to train them, I really like the ponytail early on (3-5 nodes) to help get the lower shoots growing quicker early in plant growth. This usually closes the gap between top and bottom shoots by half. Then at this point you can guide the branches wherever you please, the goal being to keep everything even Steven. The top cola may need a good bending like old school has depicted if it's already lanky. Just guide that one around and create a corkscrew around your pot.
Apologies again for not being around, been a busy week with my bday and 420 and all. Keep up the good work 4x4grow and as always...

KiG Brother :green_heart:Cheers

Ps edit : you can also pinch the top growth to stall it's development while the rest grows normal.

Hey Snid, Happy Belated Birthday. :circle-of-love: :partyboy::love::passitleft:

It's hard to underwater the species Noob. You may be right there, but they're resilient beyond belief. I like the neat way you reasoned that out though. :laughtwo:

If they get root bound you can always slice the bottom inch or so off when you transplant the next time.

Good afternoon. :hug::hug::hug: :circle-of-love:

Good afternoon, Sue. :hug::hug::hug: I am hoping they will build a good root structure while I wait for the others to catch up.

Hey Noob,...and SS, Noob, no worries pal, just cuz ya see roots at the holes , doesn't mean they're rootbound...all good , they will wait for your others as you wish. Just make sure you don't let them dry out too much now, go by the weight of them....full wet ...to full dry, get to know the difference. One more thing....if i may ,..for the next upcanning...go right to your finals and skip anything else. Put them into the largest pots you have...the more soil...the more final produce you'le get, period. Cheers Noob, have an awesome weekend... and oh ya btw, i gave the KK's five gal's. each today before the lights went out...it's been ten days....the tops started to collaps , so i gave them a nice drink. Pics to follow tonight . Did some more SCing., so i'l give them a couple hrs. with the lights on and check them out then...later gang.

Hey duggan, I hear you on the upcanning. I would totally go up to the 5 gallon if these were feminized seed. But they are regular seed so I don't want to use up as much soil and nutrients on this first batch. Once they are sexed and the males are culled, I will take those clones from these pots directly to the 5 gallon pots (7 gallon pots once I get my soil cooked for the kit). Is there any way I could get you to put some pics up on your journal of the way you SC or possibly direct me to one of your other journals that shows it? All I have ever done is just gently bend the leaves and stems the way I want them to bend. But they are right back to where they started when I come back. I might have to tie these puppies down. Thanks, buddy :thumb:

Sorry I've been absent from the training discussion, no way to treat my favourite Noob.. :) the previous replies pretty much cover the LST. I'll just add this... Use your instincts to train them, I really like the ponytail early on (3-5 nodes) to help get the lower shoots growing quicker early in plant growth. This usually closes the gap between top and bottom shoots by half. Then at this point you can guide the branches wherever you please, the goal being to keep everything even Steven. The top cola may need a good bending like old school has depicted if it's already lanky. Just guide that one around and create a corkscrew around your pot.
Apologies again for not being around, been a busy week with my bday and 420 and all. Keep up the good work 4x4grow and as always...

KiG Brother :green_heart:Cheers

Ps edit : you can also pinch the top growth to stall it's development while the rest grows normal.

Thanks for the info, Snid. I think I am going to take a pic of the 1 plant that I'm worried about. (it's 4 inches taller than the canopy.) I will post it later. My instinct is to top it to stall it a bit so the rest of the canopy will catch up. I'm just trying to maximize my space going into flower.
If I didn't already tell you... Happy Birthday brother. If I already did, well who doesn't like to hear it twice, right?

I smoke a lot of pot... :roorrip: :roorrip: :roorrip:

Noob!!! :hug::hug::hug:

Mornin Noob, and gang! I've looked over a bunch of pics from my gallery and quite a few showing LST and SCing methods i use to get even tops and very thick and high yielding plants. They are in no special order. My goal is two fold....i want to get a "bush growing BUT i need it to be EVEN across the tops to maximise the light they all get so they produce for me. Without these practices my plants would grow like most...like Christmas trees....not good (unless they're outside with LOTS of space and light). So try and have a goal of building a hedge with all the tops even.....:thumb: As well, if i had of just let my KK grow naturally i would have had to put them in bloom a couple weeks ago.....they would already be three feet high, no problem......really lanky and thin looking. NO< not good , not what i want . When i look at them now,...after all the LSTing and SCing , they look pretty much EXACTLY as i want. Next week they will get flipped to 12/12 and i will still have to keep an eye on "runners" (leaders that take off , ahead of the rest of the tops), i gently SC those , just to slow them down a lil, ya know. When you've got a top taller than the rest, gently SC it untill the others catch up....then just keep an eye on that peticular top , a while, keep SCing it until it's "trained" . This constant training and SCing is needed to keep the canopy even , this is very important to me...to keep them ALL EVEN! Anyhow check out these pics and then ask me more if you wish......have an awesome Sunday Noob and Gang!:circle-of-love:
blooming_Z_s_017.jpg
blooming_Z_s_016.jpg
blooming_Z_s_022.jpg
blooming_Z_s_023.jpg
Z_s_getting_trained_2_003.jpg
Z_s_getting_trained_006.jpg
Z_s_getting_trained_009.jpg
Z_s_getting_trained_008.jpg
baby_Z_s_005.jpg
baby_Z_s_006.jpg
Baby_Z_s_grabbing_soil_004.jpg
Baby_Z_s_grabbing_soil_005.jpg
Desfrans_after_grid_006.jpg
Desfrans_after_grid_005.jpg
Desfrans_after_grid_008.jpg
growth_unbelievable_005.jpg
2_SC_results_001.jpg
one_day_later_009.jpg
one_day_later_008.jpg
one_day_later_006.jpg
one_day_later_007.jpg
After_drink_005.jpg
becoming_teenagers_003.jpg
becoming_teenagers_002.jpg
After_drink_001.jpg
becoming_teenagers_004.jpg
bushing_out_006.jpg
bushing_out_004.jpg
training_with_SC_009.jpg
training_with_SC_010.jpg
training_with_SC_008.jpg
training_with_SC_007.jpg
training_with_SC_006.jpg
24hrs_after_supercropping_002.jpg
flower_start_118.jpg
flower_start_119.jpg
It's alot of pics Noob.....see how when you SC a branch , how thick and robust the area right below it becomes. This is when they build strength in those critical areas for later on. Cheers bud.

Back
Top Bottom