Noobs First Grow - First In Ten Years

here you go noob not perfect but this is what i see in most grow tents and rooms... Whether its only 400w or 1000w air cooled lamp you still want to keep the heat out and seperate from your room and give youself more control over the atmosphere your trying to go for your ladiez!!!
Quick explanation of how to setup intake and exhaust with air cooled hoods for your grow room. - YouTube

Thanks NastyAce for taking the time to film that explanation. That was very cool of you. I will be taking am extra rip this morning just for you brotha ;)

:roorrip:

Mornin Nasty and Noob....and Gang....Thanks for showing Noob how most people with tents , set them up. And another thankyou for explaining the whole "keep the light cooling separate from the room exhaust" thing. Noob, see how the fan/filter is up high, out of the way with a very short run of flex to the outside....this is very correct and how it should be done, period! His intake which is passive, again, correct,....his light cooling ...again , correct.Nasty is pulling the air thru the filter, very correct as well! Thanks again Nasty for taking the time to show and explain the CORRECT way to hook up all your ventilation , cooling and exhaust. Cheers and have an awesome day Noob, Nasty and Gang!:circle-of-love:

I appreciate you weighing in with your opinion, Duggan. Having people here like you and Nasty make this hobby a lot more enjoyable. I couldn't have gotten this far, this fast had it not been for this community.

Wonderful share NastyAce. I'll need to blog that one. You made me swing that rep hammer at you buckaroo. :circle-of-love:

I do have an update for you guys. I rearranged the closet to accommodate the 400 watt MH light. I put the seedling at the top of the closet. Because I hadn't had any answers on how I should vent this room at the time, I set it up with just the exhaust fan only exhausting out with the passive intake on the bottom. I turned the MH on full blast and went away for a couple hours so I could test the heat and humidity in the room. When I left, the temps were 75. When I came back the temperature was 85. So, I turned off the light and decided to try running ducting from one side of the MH light and running it straight to the exhaust fan, ie the air is being pulled from the passive intake in the bottom of the room through the light and out my attic. I, again, left the room closed up and turned the MH on to test the temperatures again. This time the temps when I left were 73 because I turned off the light and opened the door to bring down the temps while I was running to the exhaust fan. When I came back in a couple of hours, the temperature was 77. I think I found solution for my ventilation problems, albeit a temporary one. Here are some pictures so you guys can get an idea of what I'm talking about.

This is my new seedling/clone area

image10041.jpeg

This is my 4" exhaust fan that I tied up because it is way more quiet that way. I know it looks ghetto...

image10042.jpeg

Here is the wiring that I need to clean up and the ducting that I'm running from the light to the exhaust fan.

image10043.jpeg

Here's the light with the ducting going up to the fan

image10044.jpeg

It doesn't look ghetto at all. It looks quiet, a primary consideration for stealth. Had I done something like that I might not have to throw the switch and shut everything down when visitors stop, which they don't, thankfully. The advantages of living 40 steps up and on the top floor include that fact that no one wants to climb up here. :laughtwo:

Good afternoon Noob. :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

looking good noob and like sweetsue said dorsnt look ghetto at all & honestly its good you added the tape around your fan it insures that no air leaks happen i see that done everywhere. Even Jorge Servantes talks about it in his book and movie!!! So tape around exhaust perfect helps with noise too.

PS thanks for the rep sweetsue!!!!!

It doesn't look ghetto at all. It looks quiet, a primary consideration for stealth. Had I done something like that I might not have to throw the switch and shut everything down when visitors stop, which they don't, thankfully. The advantages of living 40 steps up and on the top floor include that fact that no one wants to climb up here. :laughtwo:

Good afternoon Noob. :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

Good afternoon Sue :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

I used to live on the top floor of a 3 story apartment building in a sea of other 3 story apartment buildings when I was younger chap. I was a college coach then so I would leave the apartment at 6 AM and not get home some times until midnight or later. So, I was a bit lazy with my trash bags. Being on the 3rd floor, I didn't feel like hauling those 36 gallon bags down the steps and then down to the dumpster. I did what any red blooded Texan would do, I put them on the balcony until later. I never used the balcony so the bags accumulated... The next thing I know, I have 10 bags of trash on my balcony that I need to get out of there because I was getting the heck out of there. I hated the complex and I hated apartment living. So how did I dispose of those bags of trash, you ask? I tossed them to the grass below hoping they wouldn't burst. The universe was on my side that day because only one bag came undone and there was big stuff on top so not much got out.
The moral of this story... Don't live on the 3rd floor of a 3 story apartment building

:cheesygrinsmiley:

looking good noob and like sweetsue said dorsnt look ghetto at all & honestly its good you added the tape around your fan it insures that no air leaks happen i see that done everywhere. Even Jorge Servantes talks about it in his book and movie!!! So tape around exhaust perfect helps with noise too.

PS thanks for the rep sweetsue!!!!!

I cared when I put on the first strip of duct tape. Then I realized it wasn't going to look professional no matter how hard I tried. Then it just became about trying to make sure to air was leaking out. I will have to reapply tape her and there periodically but the stuff on the ceiling and walls wont ever come up. I stapled it to the wall/ceiling to make sure. ;)

Thanks for helping out Nasty

damn it noob you just reminded me I need to take my trash out.... its been gathering on my balcony for 6 weeks....... hmm tossing out of the window does seem easier lol

I cared when I put on the first strip of duct tape. Then I realized it wasn't going to look professional no matter how hard I tried. Then it just became about trying to make sure to air was leaking out. I will have to reapply tape her and there periodically but the stuff on the ceiling and walls wont ever come up. I stapled it to the wall/ceiling to make sure. ;)

Thanks for helping out Nasty
I will say that the foil tape that is made for the flexible duct is extremely sticky and I still made for making joints to fans and such. A couple bucks a roll, we'll worth it.

thats funny because i see myself doing that with the recycling but under the sink.... lol

Ahhh.... You guys were a really good after dinner chuckle. :laughtwo:

Instead of cool tubing my closet or tents, I use Ac. They don't use that much electricity because most of the time they are just in fan mode. I'm doing this for my present closet grow and did it with my last tent grow. I pulled 11.3oz dry from one Auto Ultimate.

AC's also act like a dehumidifier, so your humidity stays optimal. It also makes it so you don't have to use cool tubes, which diminish a bulbs intensity by 10-20%

Instead of cool tubing my closet or tents, I use Ac. They don't use that much electricity because most of the time they are just in fan mode. I'm doing this for my present closet grow and did it with my last tent grow. I pulled 11.3oz dry from one Auto Ultimate.

AC's also act like a dehumidifier, so your humidity stays optimal. It also makes it so you don't have to use cool tubes, which diminish a bulbs intensity by 10-20%

People need to understand this is noobs page and the suggestion that we are giving him are specifically for the most part for what he has and what he's trying to do. Ok you have an ac well he has a couple fans and an air cooled hood. Period thats what hes got. If you didnt notice from the pics its a small room. You saying i have an ac dont help. 10-20% big deal if they weren't useful they would not be made. And like i said in the video with air cooled hoods you can keep 1000w lamp up to 8-12 inches from the conopy. I keep mine at 16-18 inches to make up that "10-20%" loss if any. I never notice the difference by getting them closer. That the biggest unnecessary argument i keep hearing and been growing for over 13 years never seen a dif between glass or no glass.

Sorry to everyone else who reads this a takes offense,but each blog is for the most part unique to each grower. Understand that people, it really dont matter what i have, what you have or anyone else has unless its your blog. This is noobs page and we are trying to help him with what HE has not what we have. Sorry everyone but i had to say it. Help the blogs by helping the bloger not telling people oh i got this and that!!!

Do you have a pic of that 11oz plant..im sure everyone on here would love to see it..??

I understand what you're saying. But I will have two separate rooms on two separate lighting schedules. If I only had one tent in the room, you're right, I probably could control the heat with an AC unit.

11.3 oz from one plant is pretty epic. I'm with oldschool, let's see that bad boy. !! Thanks for checkin it out LED

Update: I watered the seedlings this morning. I thought they needed it last night due to the weight but decided to wait until the morning. The seedlings were all pointing their leaves up when I opened the closet so I thought maybe they didn't need a watering. I have read that they are pointing up because the are happy. But when I pulled them down to check their weights, they were very light and very dry. I watered around the edge of each pot and a little in the middle until water dripped out. I leaned the plant back and forth and then set it down. After watering all the plants, I again, picked them up to determine the weight when they were full. Then I noticed that a few of the pots were wet on the outside from the watering. I then got the idea that if I saturated the outside of the pots maybe they would retain water a little longer and encourage more root growth. So I sprayed the rest of the pots with water until they were moist.
Moist... I love that word.

Anyways, I am hoping the soaking of the pots accomplishes both the stimulation of root growth and hopefully raises the RH a little in the environment. The air circulation may be contributing to the pots getting dry but that's a good thing.

If anyone has any comments or criticism is greatly appreciated. I am trying to learn here and maybe someone down the line can learn from my mistakes. With the help of the growers on this site, hopefully they will stop me from doing stupid things that will sidetrack my grow.

Another little side note... My oldest daughter asked my younger daughter if I was growing marijuana in the house. I had a talk with my younger daughter before I started this grow so she already knew about it. My older daughter is in college and will be interning elsewhere so her room is just a storage space for now. I felt no need to tell her I was growing. So when she asked my younger daughter about it, my younger daughter panicked and got off the phone quickly. She found out because she was on my amazon ordering something and saw that I was having a light delivered. This caused a firestorm bad enough that I had to go to her college and take her out to eat and explain everything so she would calm down. i explained that I wasn't doing anything wrong and that I was also growing for a fellow patient. I think she was just worried I would get into trouble. The funny thing is she is worried she spilled the beans to my younger daughter and that she is mad at me now.

Have a good day guys and girls. Thanks for checkin it out :roorrip:

Back
Top Bottom