Noobs First Grow - First In Ten Years

Now THIS is one of the most novel ideas I've come across. :laughtwo: My best friend is Native American, and she laughed in delight when I shared this with her. Definately a way to encourage growth. :love:

I'm glad she laughed and wasn't offended. I'm a mutt of many a mixed heritage (Gaelic, Native [Potawatomi, Cherokee, Pueblo and Black foot], Celtic, German and French). I have probably somewhere between an eighth and 1/4 of Native blood but by no means do I have enough bloom quantum for any of these tribes (except Cherokee Nation) to be recognized as a tribe member. I unfortunately didn't grow up around the culture too much but I would like to get in touch with that side on a sincere note.

My best friend in Minnesota is 1/4 Ojibwe which is a cousin tribe to the Potawatomi. His mom is in the tribe but much like me he doesn't have blood quantum to be recognized.

What tribe does your best friend belong to?

AMEN to this^.

Just lost the Things in my first attempt that were bag seeds. Although it was sad I would be so distraught if it were one of my pretties.

I was feeling the same way about your grow. I was just glad the Things were bag seed. Now it's real for you, brother. lol

I'm glad she laughed and wasn't offended. I'm a mutt of many a mixed heritage (Gaelic, Native [Potawatomi, Cherokee, Pueblo and Black foot], Celtic, German and French). I have probably somewhere between an eighth and 1/4 of Native blood but by no means do I have enough bloom quantum for any of these tribes (except Cherokee Nation) to be recognized as a tribe member. I unfortunately didn't grow up around the culture too much but I would like to get in touch with that side on a sincere note.

My best friend in Minnesota is 1/4 Ojibwe which is a cousin tribe to the Potawatomi. His mom is in the tribe but much like me he doesn't have blood quantum to be recognized.

With that much Native American blood in you, shouldn't you be registered? I thought it was an 8th that qualified a person.

She's almost full-blood Lakota.

Update: Shigg was right. Those cow pots, that's what the person said at the hydro store, get dry quickly. I might have to get them into some bigger pots sooner than I wanted, I bet. I liked the thought of just transplanting the whole thing into the next pot. That's why I bought them and used them instead of the solo cups. I might start my next seeds in the solo cups instead. If anyone is familiar with these pots, I would love to know if I wasted my money or if they are worth buying again.

My 400 watt light came in today. It was a combo package that can use MH or HPS bulbs. It came with the bulbs, but the MH bulb, the one I'm using next for veg, was broken. Understandable, it's glass, these packages get jarred around on their way to my house. So, I get on the chat function for the website I ordered it on and I start chatting with a person.. I explain that I bought a combo product but that 1 of the items was broken. They tell me they're sorry and they go off to ask someone what to say next, I guess. They come back on and tell me they will email a packing label and pay for the return shipping for another combo package. I told them that I would rather not have to package up the combo package as I have already begun to hang the hood. I then open up another screen and find just the bulb and I send her the info on the bulb. I asked them if they could just send me the bulb as that is all I need. The bulb was $13. They leave again to go talk to someone else. Then, they come back and offer me a 10% instant gift card for the trouble which, just so happened to cover the bulb. I say OK. They process the card and I add the bulb to my shopping cart.

The shopping cart... So one thing I like to do is add a bunch of items to my shopping card to see how much an order would be. Well, I guess I left some things in there and went ahead and completed the order. It wasn't until I got the conformation email that I realized what I had done. So i guess my tent and 600 watt combo are coming along with my replacement bulb. I am getting some mad travel points guys.

That brings me to one of my questions... The hood I ordered is an air cooled hood but the glass comes out. I have read that the glass can diminish the intensity of the light by as much as 20%. I only have a 190 cfm inline exhaust fan but I was hoping the 400 watt light wouldn't require any additional fans. I would have both, the 400 watt MH light and the 96 watt T5 in the same space. Plus I have two 6" fans moving air around. Is this enough, using passive intake, or, will I need to beef up my ventilation?

You will probably have to use that fan. You can still use the air cooled hood without the glass. It will just pull air from the open area around the bulb. Glass is only necessary when running the hood as a connected part. Like if you look at the 600s in my grow I have glass installed because the hood is run to another hood. Clean glass is more like 10% or less. They are probably talking about dirty glass. With glass installed I can put my plants much closer to the light so I feel it is worth the trade off.

Congrats on the high Brix Kit!

Oh one other thing. The glass is nice to protect the bulb from things like foliar spray which could crack a hot bulb! A bulb exploding is not your friend.

With that much Native American blood in you, shouldn't you be registered? I thought it was an 8th that qualified a person.

Each Tribal Nation has a separate governing council who decide the blood quantum laws. Most tribes are traditionally matriarchal in blood ties, meaning if a native woman marries a white man, their kids could be 50% and fully recognized; yet if the native blood came from a man marrying a white woman the tribe may not recognize them at all. I suspect this goes back to French fur traders and interacting with tribes and women being traded as property for European goods. Also it depends on what means of proof the tribe needs. Some tribes (that agreed to be registered by the United States Government during and before the trail of tears) will recognize you if you can trace one direct lineage relative to the Dawes Scrolls). Many tribes did not cooperate with this and even some sub-clans within tribes refused and broke away. Some tribes do and some do not recognize blood tests, etc. I may be between an eighth and a quarter but that is the four tribes combined. I know I could obtain citizenship through the Cherokee Nation after applying and submitting all of my paperwork that tie me to my paternal, biological grandfather but there is a lot of adoption in my family and the application review process supposedly takes years.

Sorry to hijack your journal with So much details non related to cannabis but there wasn't a short answer to your question

Each Tribal Nation has a separate governing council who decide the blood quantum laws. Most tribes are traditionally matriarchal in blood ties, meaning if a native woman marries a white man, their kids could be 50% and fully recognized; yet if the native blood came from a man marrying a white woman the tribe may not recognize them at all. I suspect this goes back to French fur traders and interacting with tribes and women being traded as property for European goods. Also it depends on what means of proof the tribe needs. Some tribes (that agreed to be registered by the United States Government during and before the trail of tears) will recognize you if you can trace one direct lineage relative to the Dawes Scrolls). Many tribes did not cooperate with this and even some sub-clans within tribes refused and broke away. Some tribes do and some do not recognize blood tests, etc. I may be between an eighth and a quarter but that is the four tribes combined. I know I could obtain citizenship through the Cherokee Nation after applying and submitting all of my paperwork that tie me to my paternal, biological grandfather but there is a lot of adoption in my family and the application review process supposedly takes years.

Sorry to hijack your journal with So much details non related to cannabis but there wasn't a short answer to your question

That's totally cool, Kyu. I love learning new things. I used to think I was an eighth Choctaw until I found out the man I thought was my father, wasn't. I guess on paper I am but not in blood.

Congrats on the high Brix Kit!

I missed this. Noob, you ordered the kit? Seriously, you went ahead and ordered? :high-five: Ooooo...... You're in for such a treat.

Kyu, thanks for that insightful answer. I learned something unexpected today. :love:

I have some pointers I shared with SlowToke that he felt were beneficial. Would you be interested in getting them as well?

Kinda like my WipeOut Express... 10 days in the bottom of a cup of water and nothin... poked a hole in the side of the seed with a tiny ass safety pin yesterday afternoon and bamm! Today she has taproot.. In the dirt cup she went along with Dark Devil. :slide:

Kinda like my WipeOut Express... 10 days in the bottom of a cup of water and nothin... poked a hole in the side of the seed with a tiny ass safety pin yesterday afternoon and bamm! Today she has taproot.. In the dirt cup she went along with Dark Devil. :slide:

Where did you learn to do that? I never heard of anyone doing that STIHL.

:high-five: Man I hope so. It's looking green in there. I have 6 out of 8 so far. I have faith in the other two. They're just shy.

"They're just shy." :rofl:

Update: I have the T5 on a tilt now because some of the plants are taller than others. Initially, I used stakes to mark the pots. Since I had to take those out to lower the lights, I had to relabel the pots. I just used a sharpie to write very illegible markings disguised as labels, but I can read it. Here's the picture of the slant on the light.

image9864.jpeg

Rearranged by height, the taller ones happen to be the Cinderellas, here is the new line up. The first two plants are the first two to sprout.

image9865.jpeg

The next two are a Cindy and a Northern Lights

image9866.jpeg

These are the two other NL

image9867.jpeg

And, last but not least, the final C99. This plant is in the corner of the pot. I'm thinking that was the path of least resistance.

image9868.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom