New City Grower 2.0

You dug that one out of the archives PJ. LOL

Okay everybody, S P R E A D O U T!

I'm just here to say that, roots developed on clones in water only are a DIFFERENT kind of roots and will not function the way roots developed in soil will; water roots do not have the same hairs. So, if you root in water only, and put the cutting with water roots into soil it is still considered an un-rooted cutting and will need to develop functional roots.

Okay, huddle back in. Trivia question and only answer within your post about cannabis:

What was the TV show which produced the phrase, "spread out."

So you're saying the roots from a bubble cloner are still under developed Brooklyn?

So you're saying the roots from a bubble cloner are still under developed Brooklyn?

No, I said WATER ONLY. I don't really know about a bubble cloner which is why I said water only. If people are buying bubble clone machines and they are working, great. Makes life easier.

I also saw someone say that breeders are adding something into the genetics to prevent cloning. Mmm. I know they are super sophisticated at breeding, but that is a feature in a plant which is not necessary. If you are buying a seed which is being bred using more than one strain to develop, you will never get the same seed again no matter what you do. Hybrids always revert and/or change its features. Open pollinated varieties, probably the very old strains, provided they were not hybridized should produce seed true from the mother plant. Otherwise, all bets are off.

You dug that one out of the archives PJ. LOL

Yep :) And I DO want to see you grow some other stuff. You enjoy the outdoor gardening journals - you're in there like a dog sniffing a fire hydrant. Screw around with a container garden in that space. Get your groove on with growing some plants in general. You'd have riotous fun!

You're probably right PJ but I'm having so much fun growing weed I can't see growing anything else. It's the most fulfilling hobby I've ventured into my entire life. And combined with all the good people here on 420 it's almost like I've found my calling.

I just read my reply, Reg. A bubble clone machine uses air so the roots which uptake air are developed in such a system. I hope that is now more clear. The roots in water are not undeveloped. They are completely different than roots produced in soil or other similar media.

Capeesh?

Capeesh

You're probably right PJ but I'm having so much fun growing weed I can't see growing anything else. It's the most fulfilling hobby I've ventured into my entire life. And combined with all the good people here on 420 it's almost like I've found my calling.

Now I can REALLY identify with that statement Reg :high-five:

:adore::adore::adore: ROOTGODS :adore::adore::adore: my prayer, just for u Broke Ass

I would like a couple of opinions here. I have the new clone attempt directly under the humidifier's vent. Is this a good idea? Also the humidifier goes off at lights out for 6 hrs.

IMG_20140405_221400.jpg

I see it's catching on, Capeesh!
I was reading The Capn blog about cloning, he seems to emphasize the fact that because the cuttings have no roots, it's important to remember that the leaves become the only source of water and nute intake. Humidifier vent; it depends on what the vent does, right. Is is blowing foggy moisture laden air, is there enough co2 in that air stream. Capeesh, comprende?

Cannabis is so much fun and you may have found your calling but you would love a few capsicum growing out on that balcony some nice big fresh bright chillis growing away to thereselves that you can top fim lst crossbreed (crossing peppers is so easy and fun) and most importantly practice cloning :)
That fact on undeveloped roots in just water makes great sense i always use air stones in my bottles but as soon as i see the raised bump where a root will form i stick her into soil if the cutting is in water the roots wont expand as fast as its not searching its got what it needs surrounding it, perhaps placing a clone on a plate to water from the bottom would be beneficial? :bong:
I cant remember who said about strawberry cuttings but im afraid strawberries arent cuttings i believe cuttings are only on bush type plants with woody stems? to cultivate strawberries is so much simpler they send off runners to produce a new plant so u cut one of them off and it roots or if a strawberry patch gets to large you split the rootstock and plant in another location :)
A plant easier to clone than a spider plant is a tomatoe all there suckers you pick off root in pure water in a day or so :eek:

Hmm Bar I don't have any super red flags about it! In fact clones love the humidity what they don't love is old stagnant air like you can get in a humidity dome.

Honestly BAR she will probably come right along for you as she needs that water in the air to obtain moisture efficiently to root etc etc

Due to fresh air at a good high humidity, I say she may come along even better! Lets see BAR, of course keep us updated!

Hope you and your girls and everyone has a great day!:thumb:

I would like a couple of opinions here. I have the new clone attempt directly under the humidifier's vent. Is this a good idea? Also the humidifier goes off at lights out for 6 hrs.
If there is any heat coming out of the unit, I would not for sure.

As I stated a few pages back, you want to force the baby to want roots. Some cuts stall under domes because the plant is not moving water through its' stem fast enough. Others die under a dome because rot sets in. I'm glad you are not using a dome this time, but being under a humidifier is not going to encourage transpiration either. Even in low humidity environments you can clone without domes if you can keep an eye on them and mist them only if they wilt. Normally if they are going to wilt, they will do it in the first 48 hours until they learn to drink from their stem.

I wish you would get a small bag of perlite and ditch the dirt for cuttings. I won't go as far as to say that perlite is sterile, but there is a much greater chance for your babies to get fungus or bacteria growing on them in dirt or potting mix.

Lastly there are big differences of opinions on trimming the leaves. I personally don't do it because I feel that the leaf loses moisture and has to heal. These babies don't need the added stress at this time. Instead of trimming leaves in half, I would have cut both of the lower ones(in your pic) off completely and that node would be under the dirt level too leaving only one set of leaves besides the growing shoot above the dirt level. I always make sure that there are two nodes under the dirt level and the lowest node gets scraped pretty good.

I hope you don't mind the input. Good luck Sir !

Hmm Bar I don't have any super red flags about it! In fact clones love the humidity what they don't love is old stagnant air like you can get in a humidity dome.

Honestly BAR she will probably come right along for you as she needs that water in the air to obtain moisture efficiently to root etc etc

Due to fresh air at a good high humidity, I say she may come along even better! Lets see BAR, of course keep us updated!

Hope you and your girls and everyone has a great day!:thumb:
Hecks yeah M1! I think I may have hit the jackpot on this one. Even though this is only day 2, it's the first time I've seen one of my clone attempts get perkier as opposed to slowly deteriorating.

YESTERDAY

IMG_20140405_221400.jpg

TODAY

IMG_20140406_074308.jpg

I'm not so sure about trimming the tips, yes they have to heal however My clones always root slower if I don't cut the tips off, I assume its because the leafs are growing (and they do). So I always take the tips off clone and large fan leafs that's I don't per-say wanna get rid of off my plant but don't want em growing or taking away. This is just My opinion tho !:thumb:

Good info! Everyone have a good day!

Hecks yeah M1! I think I may have hit the jackpot on this one. Even though this is only day 2, it's the first time I've seen one of my clone attempts get perkier as opposed to slowly deteriorating.

YESTERDAY

IMG_20140405_221400.jpg

TODAY

IMG_20140406_074308.jpg

Good deal !
The last one that died on you, the dirt looked really dry. I hope you've got good drain holes on your cup this time and maybe give her a little more H2O than the last one...

If there is any heat coming out of the unit, I would not for sure.

As I stated a few pages back, you want to force the baby to want roots. Some cuts stall under domes because the plant is not moving water through its' stem fast enough. Others die under a dome because rot sets in. I'm glad you are not using a dome this time, but being under a humidifier is not going to encourage transpiration either. Even in low humidity environments you can clone without domes if you can keep an eye on them and mist them only if they wilt. Normally if they are going to wilt, they will do it in the first 48 hours until they learn to drink from their stem.

I wish you would get a small bag of perlite and ditch the dirt for cuttings. I won't go as far as to say that perlite is sterile, but there is a much greater chance for your babies to get fungus or bacteria growing on them in dirt or potting mix.

Lastly there are big differences of opinions on trimming the leaves. I personally don't do it because I feel that the leaf loses moisture and has to heal. These babies don't need the added stress at this time. Instead of trimming leaves in half, I would have cut both of the lower ones(in your pic) off completely and that node would be under the dirt level too leaving only one set of leaves besides the growing shoot above the dirt level. I always make sure that there are two nodes under the dirt level and the lowest node gets scraped pretty good.

I hope you don't mind the input. Good luck Sir !

There is virtually ZERO energy going into the plant foliage when you are rooting a cutting. ZERO. All energy is directed down into the node to develop roots. Removing part of the leaf surface is standard horticultural practice with many different types of plants. I always remove part of the foliage when I root something. Always. And I usually have two nodes beneath the soil. I also find that heel cuts are preferable for many plants.

Back
Top Bottom