New City Grower 1.0

Re: New City Grower

I'm not getting it. If you've already purchased something to fight gnats I understand but for those of you who haven't why would not one of you try the hydrogen peroxide, dish detergent, & water formula. It's basically free (all 3 ingredients are found in nearly every household).
I've used it twice;
I had fungus gnats last summer when my plant was outside, used the formula & never seen another gnat until last month on a different plant inside my tent. Used the formula again & I'll stand by it.

I give my personal guarantee it will rid you of fungus gnats or maybe you guys prefer spending your hard earned cash.

IMG_20131222_131155.jpg

Calm down Broke Ass... I am using your recipe right now. As I type it is in the closet doing it's thing.... I want this for the future so I don't have to worry with them. Figure if I use it when I plant the girls in their last grow pot I won't have to worry about the little bastards at all so just trying to get my little duckys in a row. I thought if I put it on the top layer after the last repot that it would prevent having a problem. Am I wrong?? I have been before....... but then when I read not to let it get moist I got all confused....:lot-o-toke:

I know nothing about Diatomaceous except what I've read from KJC. If the home remedy hadn't worked I would've pursued that avenue next. I wasn't directing my last post at you Lady Dee, just in general. It seems everytime I mention it the following post from members is leading to them spending money without attempting the home remedy.
I'm just trying to save us a few bucks.

When it comes to getting rid of Gnatts I like to have several weapons because for whatever reason one mite not work at that particular time of year. Also if you have Gnatts that's a good indicator that your babies environment need tending to or your in for even worst problems.

When it comes to getting rid of Gnatts I like to have several weapons because for whatever reason one mite not work at that particular time of year. Also if you have Gnatts that's a good indicator that your babies environment need tending to or your in for even worst problems.
Not necessarily. I believe they can come in from outside trying to keep warm if you leave a window cracked this time of year neighbor. Once they're inside the warmest spot would be under the grow lights with medium to lay their eggs or larva, or however they do the nasty.

Umm you don't put it in the pots like in the dirt you put it around the pots base and on the floor. If you get them heavy you'll see they run out if disturbed from every whole in rhe container it works good.. it will kill almost any invaders but that is the challenge is they have to contact it . I put it down first and hang sticky traps then I let my pots dry out as much as possible you don't have to hurt your plants they just like it in the moisture so they will venture out more when it's dry. Then when your needing to water I water with the gnatrol at whatever amount I feel I need usually the heavier amount. After a couple days you'll see dead gnats everywhere and won't notice them running around. I then gnatrol one more watering. Also another trick is that when you water you'll see alot if activity use your vacuum cleaner with the little attachment and you can get alot of them I know it sounds ridiculous but it does work I did it when I started out I used to get em bad. Sorry for taking up all the space mate just trying to help.

It's true they very often come from an outside source but if your creating an ideal environment for them it'll be almost impossible to get em all. It's a rootzone issue and moisture issue..It has a lot to do with the rate at which your roots are dying off and growing again because the gnats feed off the root material. This is usually encouraged by not favorable watering conditions. Not always or anything it just often is a factor

hi all,

for about 2 years i had a huge problem with gnats, i could not get rid of them at all no matter what i did, i had them every day of the year and they also thrived when it was winter outdoors, so once they get into the grow room they just thrive, the conditions are perfect for them,
to find out how many gnats you have just peel the skin of a potato and put a few slices on top of the grow medium, then check back 12 to 24 hours later, if you have lots of gnats you will see all the larvae on the potato, its easy soft food for them so using potato is a good indication of how bad the problem is, plus you can throw the potatos out after you have got a lot of bugs on them.

now i only found that 2 things stopped them, 1 is difficult to maintain so i would not say try it but i did, i used news paper and totally covered the tops of the pots so just the stem of the plant was coming out the paper, doing this prevented the flying gnats from leaving the pots so they just died and it prevented flying gnats getting into the soil to lay eggs, so that helped loads but didnt 100% get rid of them, it did redruce the population by a huge amount as i was lucky to see 1 or 2 fly up when the lights came on or when i watered the plants.

but the only method i have found that has 100% got rid of the gnats is to use the sns products, i used the sns gnat product twice and the gnats have vanished never to return, so for me sns worked and worked very well, i used it once and i think it probably did kill everything in the soil but i followed up with a 2nd watering with the sns product and since then ive not seen a single gnat or seen any larvae in the soil, normally if i dug down a few inches id see white grubs in the soil but now i see nothing and my yellow traps have been bug free for months now,

so sns gets a thumbs up from me, it done exactly what it said it would,

It's true they very often come from an outside source but if your creating an ideal environment for them it'll be almost impossible to get em all. It's a rootzone issue and moisture issue..It has a lot to do with the rate at which your roots are dying off and growing again because the gnats feed off the root material. This is usually encouraged by not favorable watering conditions. Not always or anything it just often is a factor
This is what I'm trying to say:
The home remedy RIDS you of gnats & their larva, period. You soak the medium & also the plant.

Enough on that. Here's something I ran across while doing some research on Co2.

"CO2 is plant food
Earth's current atmospheric CO2 concentration is almost 390 parts per million (ppm). Adding another 300 ppm of CO2 to the air has been shown by literally thousands of experiments to greatly increase the growth or biomass production of nearly all plants. This growth stimulation occurs because CO2 is one of the two raw materials (the other being water) that are required for photosynthesis. Hence, CO2 is actually the "food" that sustains essentially all plants on the face of the earth, as well as those in the sea. And the more CO2 they "eat" (absorb from the air or water), the bigger and better they grow.

An argument made by those who prefer to see a bright side to climate change is that carbon dioxide (CO2) being released by the burning of fossil fuels is actually good for the environment. This conjecture is based on simple and appealing logic: if plants need CO2 for their growth, then more of it should be better. We should expect our crops to become more abundant and our flowers to grow taller and bloom brighter.

However, this "more is better" philosophy is not the way things work in the real world. There is an old saying, "Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing." For example, if a doctor tells you to take one pill of a certain medicine, it does not follow that taking four is likely to heal you four times faster or make you four times better. It's more likely to make you sick.

It is possible to boost growth of some plants with extra CO2, under controlled conditions inside of greenhouses. Based on this, 'skeptics' make their claims of benefical botanical effects in the world at large. Such claims fail to take into account that increasing the availability of one substance that plants need requires other supply changes for benefits to accrue. It also fails to take into account that a warmer earth will see an increase in deserts and other arid lands, reducing the area available for crops.

Plants cannot live on CO2 alone; a complete plant metabolism depends on a number of elements. It is a simple task to increase water and fertilizer and protect against insects in an enclosed greenhouse but what about doing it in the open air, throughout the entire Earth? Just as increasing the amount of starch alone in a person's diet won't lead to a more robust and healthier person, for plants additional CO2 by itself cannot make up for deficiencies of other compounds and elements.

What would be the effects of an increase of CO2 on agriculture and plant growth in general?

1. CO2 enhanced plants will need extra water both to maintain their larger growth as well as to compensate for greater moisture evaporation as the heat increases. Where will it come from? In many places rainwater is not sufficient for current agriculture and the aquifers they rely on are running dry throughout the Earth (1, 2).

On the other hand, as predicted by climate research, we are experiencing more intense storms with increased rainfall rates throughout much of the world. One would think that this should be good for agriculture. Unfortunately when rain falls in short, intense bursts it does not have time to soak into the ground. Instead, it quickly floods into creeks, then rivers, and finally out into the ocean, often carrying away large amounts of soil and fertilizer.

2. Unlike Nature, our way of agriculture does not self-fertilize by recycling all dead plants, animals and their waste. Instead we have to constantly add artificial fertilizers produced by energy-intensive processes mostly fed by hydrocarbons, particularly from natural gas which will eventually be depleted. Increasing the need for such fertilizer competes for supplies of natural gas and oil, creating competition between other needs and the manufacture of fertilizer. This ultimately drives up the price of food.

3. Too high a concentration of CO2 causes a reduction of photosynthesis in certain of plants. There is also evidence from the past of major damage to a wide variety of plants species from a sudden rise in CO2 (See illustrations below). Higher concentrations of CO2 also reduce the nutritional quality of some staples, such as wheat.

4. As is confirmed by long-term experiments, plants with exhorbitant supplies of CO2 run up against limited availability of other nutrients. These long term projects show that while some plants exhibit a brief and promising burst of growth upon initial exposure to C02, effects such as the "nitrogen plateau" soon truncate this benefit

5. Plants raised with enhanced CO2 supplies and strictly isolated from insects behave differently than if the same approach is tried in an otherwise natural setting. For example, when the growth of soybeans is boosted out in the open this creates changes in plant chemistry that makes these specimens more vulnerable to insects, as the illustration below shows."

Just thought I share that.

plus reps for the info BAR, thats some good info my friend.

with the plants we grow we know their are only 2 methods of increasing bud size and yield,
method 1, more oxygen at the roots,
method 2, more co2 at leaf level.

plants given more co2 can take slightly higher temps, they also need more nutes as well so that also needs to be considered,
but what ive always wondered is if you supliment co2 early on but then stop using it does this have a more negative affect on the plant compared with letting the plant grow with no supliment at all.

a quick question for you all,
where does the earths oxygen come from and what produces the most oxygen. some may find the answer different to what they have always believed,
ill give you a little clue, what you think produces the worlds oxygen actually produces less than 1%, so what does produce the rest of the oxygen we all breath,

Plants convert Co2 to oxygen...
What did I win, what did I win?

Back
Top Bottom