New City Grower 1.0

Re: New City Grower

ANd THAT'S YOUR OPINION AS OPPOSED TO LETTING THE BROAD GROW IN TO A WNBA PLAYER? :cheer:

:rofl:
Exactly sir. Better get asecond opinion before snipping though. BTW, I dont see much 'preflower' action? Do my eyes decieve me?

None at all. She's vegging slow as molasses compared to how laverne did.

looking good,

with the topping you need to think how much veg time you have left before the plants start flowering, topping will stunt growth for anything from 3 to about 7 days, when you top the plant has to refocus its energy on other plants of the plant, once its done this the 2 new tops will grow and become the top of the plant, but if you do top you will be better off if you have got at least 2 weeks before they start to flower, if you dont have this much time then it will stunt growth and affect yield,

if you have more than 2 weeks then topping will be fine, the top can then be used as a clone so get hold of some rooting hormone gel or powder and make your own rooting pot,
all i use for my clones is
1 small pot,
1 rooting gel,
1 2ltr pop bottle,

with the 2ltr pop bottle i cut the top quater off so im keeping the part with the lid on and about 4 or 5 inches of actual bottle, then when i take my clone cut it at 45degree angle so their is more area for roots to grow, then remove the lowest set of fan leaves on the clone or if you have only left the top set then cut the fan leaves in half so the fingers on the leaves are much shorted, make sure you use a sharp clean knife or utility knife, once you have cut it at that angle gently scrape the bottom inch of stem so your scraping the outer layer of stem nearest the cut, not all growers do this but i find it produces roots a bit quicker, then cover the cut and scraped area in rooting gel or powder, i use a shot glass and pour some gel into the glass then dip the clone in making sure its all covered and leave it in the rooting gel for about 15 seconds,

make sure you have a small pot or any size pot and poke a small hole in the middle for the clone to drop into, the take the clone out the gel and put it into the hole so its at least 2 inches below soil level, i sometimes drop a tiny bit of rooting gel into the hole but not sure it makes any difference as both methods tend to root at the same time,

once you put the clone in give the soil a very gentle squeeze around the clone so the soil is touching the stem properly, then use a spray bottle and give the leaves on the clone a good misting with water, you dont need to water the compost unless its bone dry but keep it slightly moist but it wont dry out as quick due to the dome, once you have sprayed the clone grab the top part of the pop bottle and spray inside that then place it over the clone and push it into the soil a couple of ml so it has a good seal, then the humidity will stay high and it will root in a week or 2, each day or twice a day pull the dome off and let it breath for 1min, then spray the clone then put the dome back on,

thats the method i use and i find it works well and works pretty much every time, as long as the dome keeps the clone in high humidity then it will eventually root, you will know when its rooted as you will notice new growth, when you notice new growth leave the dome on for a couple more days then you can take the dome off and leave it off, but the first day you leave it off give the leaves a spray and check the clone every hour or 2, if you notice it start to wilt then put the dome back on as the roots are not big enough to support it yet, but if it dont wilt then the dome can stay off and you will then have a nice happy clone,

i just thought ive wrote all that and for all i know you might even have a cloner or something else, so i could of just typed all that for nothing,

I have an opinion and a question for the vets. My opinion is to consider what you want to do with your plant, how much light you give it and how much longer you are willing to stay in veg with it. I chose to top my plant 5 additional times on top of the already 3 times I topped it. My plan is to create a circle of bud branches that will be fixed to a scrog net. I accept that this will cost me in time, but I really believe it will pay me back in yield. Granted I don't have an HID burning so my finished buds will likely be airy, but this grow is just to learn, the smoke will ALL be donated to very close friends.

FIMing is cool too, but you have no control how many branches (if any) are produced. My FIM attempt produced nothing except for leaves w/o points on the end. I am glad too, b/c what I really want is a plant that I control what goes where. I may elect to take off a topped branch, but either way going up will be 4 main colas, and 8 or 10 secondary colas that I will come up around the 4 mains. To me, this is structure and I can now see it before it's there so I have time to imagine how things may go.

My question, can a FIM cut be done in the middle of an existing branch, or does that only apply to new fresh tops? If I had to guess, I'd say that it is not possible to FIM in the middle of a branch, but topping at this point will still produce 2 new branches at the nodes below?

I say top it short jst above a choice set of nodes, then 2 will grow Y. As soon as tips form on the ends of the Y, top each again and you'll have 4 YY. Just my 2 cents if you have the time to play around.

i just thought ive wrote all that and for all i know you might even have a cloner or something else, so i could of just typed all that for nothing,
ARE YOU CRAZY? I JUST BLOGGED YOUR WHOLE POST!

IMG_20130724_131026.jpg
IMG_20130724_131203.jpg

A WHILE BACK I ATTEMPTED NEARLY THE SAME EXACT THING AFTER A GOOD WEEK OR SO OF READING UP ON CLONING. I FIGURED I HAD DEVISED AN INEXPENSIVE WAY TO CLONE. WHEN IT DIED I FIGURED "WHAT THE HECK, I TRIED". BUT HERE YOU ARE WITH BASICALLY THE SAME TECHNIQUE & I CAN SEE THE FLAWS THAT I MADE. ALSO DO YOU LEAVE THE BOTTLE TOP ON OR OFF & WHAT LIGHT CYCLE DO YOU USE. I'M GLAD I DIDN'T THROW MY GHETTO CLONER OUT! IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE NO MATTER HOW MINOR ABOUT THIS TECHNIQUE THAT YOU DIDN'T MENTION? THANXX +REPS

in reference to post #405 & #245

IS THIS JUST FOR HYDROPONICS OR CAN BE USED FOR SOIL ALSO?

IMG_20130829_175627.jpg

I'd give it a whirl, but that's just me. If you try it, only do the mild feeding schedule or 25% strength. If you're @ a hydro store, see if he has any free samples he can give ya of anything. Ya might end up walking out with a couple things.

I already own it since my 1st goody bag. The salesman may have ran the noobie routine on me.:passitleft: "cough, cough... Yeah & your definitely going to need some of this & how much did you say you had to spend?"

Go for it, Reg. Just start off with a very weak dose in your water and see how they like it.

It's full of amino acids that will help the plant make hormones, sugars and proteins that it needs for Buds 'n' stuff.

It may help them deal with heat- and other stress.

Just go easy on it.

Good Weed Reg and Rico! Rico I gotta catch ya where I see ya! Yeh that "any other media" is one hell of a catch all, so like Rico said I would err on the side of caution and conservatism.

Would this be an ideal spot to top or is it to low?

WOULD THIS BE AN IDEAL SPOT TO TOP OR IS IT TO LOW?

IMG_20130830_1304511.jpg

IMG_20130830_13045111.jpg

Here is my opinion. If you clip where you suggest you potentially lose many bud sites if the clone fails. Inversly, you would gain an additional plant if all goes well. The classic top site is less risky, but not very likely a clone canidate.

It is my understanding that the branches of clones need to be stripped to increae survival rates. So I showed you what else you would need to trim if you decide to chance it. Either way, I think you are doing a great job sir. :)

THANXX SPIMP. NOW I'M JUST WAITING FOR AN ANSWER FROM DONPAUL TO POST #408 & I'LL BE READY TO TOP & CLONE:slide:

Back
Top Bottom