My Med Grow - A Lot Of Pics - No Slow Wifi - Seriously

Funny you mention temps, after what I just went through. The temp in my aeroponic clone grower got to warm and i got the start of root rot. Now I am paranoid about the temp thing. How am I supposed to regulate this? I cant see adding either ice or hot water every day, and then having to re do the PH balance every time. Is there a better way?

Good question lol. Water chillers are expensive as hell and I'm not willing to bite it off for a 2 bucket dwc grow lol.

Maybe one of the hydro guys has a good solution for our woe's

Looking great CS! It will be interesting if you can develop a strain that makes twins. That would be kind of neat as long as it doesn't hermie!

We got almost the same flowering setup (3 lights) now. :)

Sometimes I read about what you guys do with soil and start considering it. I just can't or won't do it. I'm convinced I had more bug problems before I switched to soilless and then hydro. I ewnt back and forth about how to handle mothers, but have decided to go soilless since I already have hydro nutes on hand. Also, I don't really want this same mix for a mother. She will use up the resources in the mix eventually, so I'll have to fertilize anyway. I only need veg growth too, so a lot of those amendments would not benefit my.

I'm looking forward to your experiments. :)

Funny you mention temps, after what I just went through. The temp in my aeroponic clone grower got to warm and i got the start of root rot. Now I am paranoid about the temp thing. How am I supposed to regulate this? I cant see adding either ice or hot water every day, and then having to re do the PH balance every time. Is there a better way?

Well when I pick up my grow size I will get a chiller. Do they regulate the water to a temp that you want?

iSmokes got it. Add frozen water bottles. Just gather up some soda bottles, fill with water, and freeze. Keep enough so you can rotate them. Depending on the size of the bottle, size and temp of the reservoir, you may need to change them several times a day.

And to answer your question... Yes, that's exactly what a chiller does. You set a temperature, and tries to cool until it reaches that temperature.

Yes it would, but if it's just a cloner res, it might be overkill. If it was me, I would start with frozen water bottles.

If I added a chiller, I'd see if there was a way to use it to chill my main reservoir too. For example, if you put the chiller in your larger, 50 gallon, reservoir, you could then chill your clones from that. Run some tubing from the cloner to the big reservoir. Then put a coil of tubing into the res and pump the cloner's water through it. The plastic tubing doesn't provid the best heat transfer, but it might lower the temps. It's probably easier to get a small chiller for the cloner, so if money is not an issue, that's your solution.

I heard about frozen water bottles as a cheapo solution for temps. I'm not a hydro guy, but to be honest, a larger resevoir solved my temps issue. Water has a high heat capacity. Hope this helps.
awesome thanks. My apprehension stems from a past experience in which the roots came in contact with said botttle and it did not end well for the plant. I considered using 18g totes in place (as u mentioned large bodies of water have good insulating properties) but that cuts into a lot of my room then. We will see. My biggest issue is I'm in isolated buckets without a remote Res.

Looking great CS! It will be interesting if you can develop a strain that makes twins. That would be kind of neat as long as it doesn't hermie!

We got almost the same flowering setup (3 lights) now. :)

Sometimes I read about what you guys do with soil and start considering it. I just can't or won't do it. I'm convinced I had more bug problems before I switched to soilless and then hydro. I ewnt back and forth about how to handle mothers, but have decided to go soilless since I already have hydro nutes on hand. Also, I don't really want this same mix for a mother. She will use up the resources in the mix eventually, so I'll have to fertilize anyway. I only need veg growth too, so a lot of those amendments would not benefit my.

I'm looking forward to your experiments. :)

iSmokes got it. Add frozen water bottles. Just gather up some soda bottles, fill with water, and freeze. Keep enough so you can rotate them. Depending on the size of the bottle, size and temp of the reservoir, you may need to change them several times a day.

And to answer your question... Yes, that's exactly what a chiller does. You set a temperature, and tries to cool until it reaches that temperature.
Thanks hiker! I saw that.. ur gonna be.killing it in there lol.

I agree SS would be a lot of work and.money just to keep moms. May not be the best option for ya. And bugs are a very reasonable legitimate fear to have with soil. However a healthy eco system will keep most things at bay. Our hillside is plagued with gnats and whiteflies but I haven't used a single spray in years.. as for the comment about not needing all that for ur mother... agree to disagree.

The mix would provide exactly what she needed. Regardless of growth stage a plant has basic needs for 16 macro and micro nutrients. They vary by stage but there would only be good to gain from having her veg in such a mix. But again its a lot to do just to keep mothers. I'd stay soiless as it seems easiest for your situation but she would certainly benefit.

Jc a chiller will certainly bring ur temps down as its designed to. My apprehension was the overhead considering I'm just doing a 2 bucket experiment

Ok. One last round of training in the books (no defol this. Not til day 21) so lets get this show on the road.

To quote my mentor "with a flip of my switch, we get stanky in this bitch"
36 minutes to bloom town.
420magjournal_060.jpg

Meanwhile Im just putting ice in the cloner every morning for now to keep the temp around 70, It heats up by late afternoon to close to 80. Headache, but should be out of cloner within the week.

Im still trying to figure out what to do in the space Im moving into next month. I will grow in the big basement, plenty of space, 12 foot ceilings. I can max at 12 plants. Trying to figure out if best yield will come by just letting them grow tall and proud, or if scrogging will give me better yield. Have not really gotten a great answer yet.

To quote my mentor "with a flip of my switch, we get stanky in this bitch"

HAHA that's a good one! :popcorn:

I think it will be OK. Few more days before I put it in my ebb and gro, and then Ill add the chiller and should be good.

I also am using an Ebb & Gro. How is that reservoir doing in regards to temps? I'm concerned if your cloner's temps are too high, what about the big res? Folks use frozen bottle in Ebb & Gro's too. Just use a 2L bottle or a 1G bottle. For the cloner, I would use smaller bottles myself.

Im still trying to figure out what to do in the space Im moving into next month. I will grow in the big basement, plenty of space, 12 foot ceilings. I can max at 12 plants. Trying to figure out if best yield will come by just letting them grow tall and proud, or if scrogging will give me better yield. Have not really gotten a great answer yet.

Your basement sounds awesome. I've never heard of a 12' ceiling in a basement! You could almost stack 2 of my basements inside yours. Mine is under 7'. I'm 6' and can stand easily, but I only have ~6" or so clearance.

I'm assuming you want to stay at 12 plants for legal reasons, but you want to maximize yield. In that case, I would recommend a scrog. It takes longer to grow that way, but you have enough space you could still setup a perpetual system. I'm not concerned about plant counts, so my situation is different. If I was in your shoes, I would strongly consider making some porta scrogs like Vick074.
Vick074-OG Kush Last Run in CocoSoil-CO2-1KHPS-5X5Tent-with Porta Scrogs!? Porta Wha?
With something like that, you could setup a good size veg area and grow the plants into the screens before you put them in the flower room. If you have enough space, you can certainly do a perpetual scrog, get good yields, and stay under your 12 plant count. You will probably only have a few plants flowering at any given time, but if you grow them into giant bushes, you can still get big yields. I imagine 2 mothers (variety is the spice of life right?), 4 flowering, and the other 6 would be various states of veg. It would take about as long to veg the large plants as it would to flower, so your veg area will be at least 50% as large as the flowering area. This is in addition to an area to house your mother(s). I said this takes longer, but in reality, it's only longer for the first harvest. Once you have your timing right, you can still harvest as often as other methods. You are just leaving plants in veg longer. No big deal once all the parts of the assembly line are stocked :)

Back
Top Bottom