Mars Hydro FC-3000 Shines Down On Babygirl’s Sour Livers In DWC: Sponsored Grow

Really? I didnt think that the space would affect the footprint of the light?

Yeah, but I still dont know what I’m doing when it comes to leaf removal, etc and am simply terrified to take off too much!

Yeah, me either, I’m going to end up putting those two 6” fans closer towards the bottom of the tent and have them kind of blow up Liv’s skirt some. The humidity in the current tent with the door open is now a steady 50% or more so I’m starting to worry about too much humidity during the bud-building stage.

Wondering if this is the point where I should defoliate in the center some - but again, being ignint in this regards makes me leery of doing it!
Yes, the space will most definitely affect the footprint of the light, just as raising or lowering it does. I would think your edge and corner drop off will improve.

I always am too, still. Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to defol, I'm not going to recommend anything. I will say that for me, I have settled on less is more, and TARGET the leaf removal. The two goals are to get light directly on bud sites, and allow air flow through the plant. Your idea of putting the fans low and blowing up her skirt, imho, is a great idea. Whenever you do defol, you can put your hand above the middle of the plant and you should be able to feel the air moving hitting your hand. I try to go for floor fans blowing up and head fans blowing across, preferably oscillating. The upper fans are important, I think, in budding, when you get dense buds - it helps mitigate moisture to some extent to have moving air on the buds themselves, and I have found that a bunch of fans and a lot of moving air can also mitigate the Rh numbers to some extent. For example, the three sweeties I just harvested from the tent all had a ton of air blowing on them the whole time. I had zero bud rot or mold issues in that tent, and if there ever was a situation where it would form, this was it. The buds were crammed WAY too close together and I will refine the methodology next time. But it worked out cuz of moving air. My Rh was usually in the mid 40s on average, higher than I wanted, and almost 60% for a few hours each morning. But there was so much air that I don't even think the plants knew it. Lol.

You'll figure out defol. You have a ton of really experienced people helping you out. You're set up sweetly. This is going to work out really well for you.

Yes, the space will most definitely affect the footprint of the light, just as raising or lowering it does. I would think your edge and corner drop off will improve.

I always am too, still. Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to defol, I'm not going to recommend anything. I will say that for me, I have settled on less is more, and TARGET the leaf removal. The two goals are to get light directly on bud sites, and allow air flow through the plant. Your idea of putting the fans low and blowing up her skirt, imho, is a great idea. Whenever you do defol, you can put your hand above the middle of the plant and you should be able to feel the air moving hitting your hand. I try to go for floor fans blowing up and head fans blowing across, preferably oscillating. The upper fans are important, I think, in budding, when you get dense buds - it helps mitigate moisture to some extent to have moving air on the buds themselves, and I have found that a bunch of fans and a lot of moving air can also mitigate the Rh numbers to some extent. For example, the three sweeties I just harvested from the tent all had a ton of air blowing on them the whole time. I had zero bud rot or mold issues in that tent, and if there ever was a situation where it would form, this was it. The buds were crammed WAY too close together and I will refine the methodology next time. But it worked out cuz of moving air. My Rh was usually in the mid 40s on average, higher than I wanted, and almost 60% for a few hours each morning. But there was so much air that I don't even think the plants knew it. Lol.

You'll figure out defol. You have a ton of really experienced people helping you out. You're set up sweetly. This is going to work out really well for you.
Tx Jon :hug:

Ok folks - leaf removal/defoliation question:

I’m still leaf tucking EVERYWHERE on this plant - would it be best to just trim off those leaves that I’m currently tucking which are blocking budding areas? If so, about how many leaves would be too much at once?

She looks beautiful JBird :)
Thanks @Trala! She’ll be getting a new and bigger tent here in the next day or so - as soon as it gets here hubby and I have a plan of attack!

I’m still leaf tucking EVERYWHERE on this plant - would it be best to just trim off those leaves that I’m currently tucking which are blocking budding areas? If so, about how many leaves would be too much at once?
I don't have any experience with this as I am new, but I vote for defol as it will get more light to your budsites not only from above but from the sides too. I have nothing to verify this though.

Hello BabyGirl,Hope you had a fab xmas time with friends and family.
My current attempt is only my second go so i'm now were near the level of most on here but what i have found so far with 4 of my mephisto's is that i heavily defol'd 1 of them and it did stunt her,carried on the odd bit of snipping thow.
I snipped what i had to on another 2 of them and they did ok,3 and 4 ocassions with the shears aswell.
The 1 i only snipped at 1 time of around 10 leafs is my current CDCxS,she has threw out double if not triple what i took at the start.
Just my little input.

I am an advocate for selective defoliation - mostly in the underskirt where it’s dark and too moist. If leaf tucking isn’t working, then a little discriminate trimming - a little bit at a time - is probably okay and won’t cut into yield too much.

Remember - the plant expended energy to grow each leaf so that she could store mobile nutrients for a rainy day - not to mention the energy that they produce during photosynthesis.

I am an advocate for selective defoliation - mostly in the underskirt where it’s dark and too moist. If leaf tucking isn’t working, then a little discriminate trimming - a little bit at a time - is probably okay and won’t cut into yield too much.

Remember - the plant expended energy to grow each leaf so that she could store mobile nutrients for a rainy day - not to mention the energy that they produce during photosynthesis.
This...:thumb:

Lol - neighbor across the street smokes and knows I’m growing (he’s gonna be another hand come trim time!) and the neighbor to my one side where the other window is (who is also 420-friendly) is only here on weekends. Thank god its not a blurple light though - those things are like waving a red flag … we have a state trooper that lives further up the street but thankfully he doesn't come down this end!
That would freak me out a bit

I don't have any experience with this as I am new, but I vote for defol as it will get more light to your budsites not only from above but from the sides too. I have nothing to verify this though.
Yeah, I’m in the same boat …

Hello BabyGirl,Hope you had a fab xmas time with friends and family.
My current attempt is only my second go so i'm now were near the level of most on here but what i have found so far with 4 of my mephisto's is that i heavily defol'd 1 of them and it did stunt her,carried on the odd bit of snipping thow.
I snipped what i had to on another 2 of them and they did ok,3 and 4 ocassions with the shears aswell.
The 1 i only snipped at 1 time of around 10 leafs is my current CDCxS,she has threw out double if not triple what i took at the start.
Just my little input.
Yup - thats what Im worried about: stunting her; she’s already going to be going well past her 70 day mark before its all said and done!

Yes, I’ve only tried to take a bit here and there, and am wondering if now I’m at the point that “enough is enough” ;)
This is my biggest concern: taking away something she needs for energy!

Yup, thats where I’m at!

That would freak me out a bit
Lol - is what it is; he never ventures down this end of the street (we’re basically towards a dead end, so not much point in anyone coming sown this way - if anything, people head to the OTHER end of the road where the community fishing pier is!

Thanks all! You’ve taken care of me from preventing a major folly; you all rock! :snowboating:

Thanks all! You’ve taken care of me from preventing a major folly; you all rock! :snowboating:
One thing I do that helps me target specific upper leaves, and like Felipe Blu said, VERY sparingly, is to take an overhead shot from the middle of the tent, or as close as you can get, or a direct overhead shot of each plant is even better. I take a before and after. I use the before picture as the guide. If you're directly over the plant with the picture, the picture is what the light sees. So anything you see down there that would have light if you removed a leaf (maybe a stubborn one you have to keep retucking, or whatever needs to go), that's the leaf I consider removing. You can kind of take stock of your situation first by doing that, then decide what to take. Helps me out.

Yeah, I’m in the same boat …

Yup - thats what Im worried about: stunting her; she’s already going to be going well past her 70 day mark before its all said and done!

Yes, I’ve only tried to take a bit here and there, and am wondering if now I’m at the point that “enough is enough” ;)

This is my biggest concern: taking away something she needs for energy!

Yup, thats where I’m at!

Lol - is what it is; he never ventures down this end of the street (we’re basically towards a dead end, so not much point in anyone coming sown this way - if anything, people head to the OTHER end of the road where the community fishing pier is!
Fishing pier were I would live at lol but that cool

Fishing pier were I would live at lol but that cool
Yeah - community pier is like 1/2 mile from my house, but since we have our own pier thats where hubby fishes from

One thing I do that helps me target specific upper leaves, and like Felipe Blu said, VERY sparingly, is to take an overhead shot from the middle of the tent, or as close as you can get, or a direct overhead shot of each plant is even better. I take a before and after. I use the before picture as the guide. If you're directly over the plant with the picture, the picture is what the light sees. So anything you see down there that would have light if you removed a leaf (maybe a stubborn one you have to keep retucking, or whatever needs to go), that's the leaf I consider removing. You can kind of take stock of your situation first by doing that, then decide what to take. Helps me out.
Good advice - I’ll start taking that photo angle to look at things.

I swear this is why I should grow a photo period - dont gotta worry the stunting aspect of an auto flower

:thumb:

And since the first pistils are just bout to start stacking, IMO no need to defol yet.
When you start to see how the buds set, then I guess you could remove some leaves which are blocking the light for lower canopy.

At that point she wants every single solar panel for optimal bud set. :morenutes:

Woo hoo! Liv got a fresh bucket of nutes and a new 4’ x 4’ tent today! Thank you hubby and JD for getting it set up for me!

Back
Top Bottom