Maine 4-Season Greenhouse Grow

Good news....all seeds popped and summer grow is in full swing...

Lesson learned: First time using 10-gallon pot for autos and I normally pop them in the soil which has a JumpStart heating mat below. This sufficiently heats the soil and I saw success on the OG Rolex, DD, and GSC....

However, I lost a Skunk #1, Cheese XXL, and Sweet Coffee seeds....and was pissed. I normally have excellent germ rates with @SeedsMan ...but as usual it was operator error. The 10-gallon was too much to heat properly and my GH night temps of 50F were keeping the seeds from popping.

Solution: I squeezed 3x 10-gallon pots (with seeds) into the Box with the heating mat. Surface soil temps jumped from 62F to 72F...and they all popped overnight.

Live and learn. :)

I just got 5 bucket loads of horse manure from my neighbor...they have 2x horses and that adds up. They are selling the house (fingers crossed someone cool buys it) and I think the realtor asked them to clean out the manure, so they called me with the smaller tractor to get the last small piles. I skimmed off the top 2-3" of dirt/composted horse manure from the last 20 years! I felt like a thief, but I was actually doing them a favor. It was like Lebonese Hash....:p
You Are fucking hilarious / glad you could help (yourself ) :laugh::laugh:

Ask away...I ask a shit ton...life is short and lots to learn.

I just got 5 bucket loads of horse manure from my neighbor...they have 2x horses and that adds up. They are selling the house (fingers crossed someone cool buys it) and I think the realtor asked them to clean out the manure, so they called me with the smaller tractor to get the last small piles. I skimmed off the top 2-3" of dirt/composted horse manure from the last 20 years! I felt like a thief, but I was actually doing them a favor. It was like Lebonese Hash....:p

I used to just add coir/perlite/vermicluite (for water retention and aeration) and greensand and myco... @Van Stank suggested basalt and glacial rock dust, which I figured...wtf not? He adds some more things that I don't. I grabbed seaweed this year as well and threw that in the bottom of my worm bins. If all goes well, that will be my secret sauce....

that's some good sh!t! Lol when my veggies hit the compost it was like a rocket things took off! So you will love it! how much do houses go for out that way..... Not that I could move but wishful thinking lol!

is there a reason you prefer coir over peat? I've been doing some reading that says coir can lead to possible calcium issues... Was thinking id do 50/50 coir/peat, perlite, glacial dust, mycos... Think my mum has a bags of greensand maybe I can steal some lol

I really want to make this but I have to figure out how to source all of the ingredients first. Jeff bezos might end up with some of my money after all lol

Good news....all seeds popped and summer grow is in full swing...

Lesson learned: First time using 10-gallon pot for autos and I normally pop them in the soil which has a JumpStart heating mat below. This sufficiently heats the soil and I saw success on the OG Rolex, DD, and GSC....

However, I lost a Skunk #1, Cheese XXL, and Sweet Coffee seeds....and was pissed. I normally have excellent germ rates with @SeedsMan ...but as usual it was operator error. The 10-gallon was too much to heat properly and my GH night temps of 50F were keeping the seeds from popping.

Solution: I squeezed 3x 10-gallon pots (with seeds) into the Box with the heating mat. Surface soil temps jumped from 62F to 72F...and they all popped overnight.

Live and learn. :)
Thanks for sharing that lesson Blew!

that's some good sh!t! Lol when my veggies hit the compost it was like a rocket things took off! So you will love it! how much do houses go for out that way..... Not that I could move but wishful thinking lol!...is there a reason you prefer coir over peat? I've been doing some reading that says coir can lead to possible calcium issues... Was thinking id do 50/50 coir/peat, perlite, glacial dust, mycos... Think my mum has a bags of greensand maybe I can steal some lol..I really want to make this but I have to figure out how to source all of the ingredients first. Jeff bezos might end up with some of my money after all lol

I also use Pro Mix and that is peat based, but I like coir because it stores well and is "sustainable" whereas peat is (supposedly) less so.

Seasons, just like speed limits, are just a suggestion anyways lol
Ha! I'm not complaining...was 52F in the GH and everyone looked snug. Now it's sunny and beautiful.

I gotta say the ATF and DTF are looking seriously happy. :)

Well, another misty morning in Maine....just checked on the girls and they all seemed to have adapted to the little suggestive training I imposed on them yesterday using the tomato cage. Spread some of the lower arms outside so they will grow opened up a little more. At this point I am just guessing how the tomato cage will support/train because I know it will turn into a jungle of growth soon....

When are your frost warnings usually done there blew? Second week of June here
Approximately that time as well...but I think we are close here....I almost planted corn yesterday but figured I can wait another week or so. I have oats, buckwheat, and peas in the ground already.

Back
Top Bottom