Lovie's Blueberry And Chocolate Thai Organic Grow Journal

I am beginning to think my seeds were damaged while storing them. My Do-Si-Dos taproot hasn't come out either. I stored them in the crisper drawer of my refrigerator inside a manilla envelope lined with bubble wrap. Each strain is in a little ziplock bag inside the envelope, and I put a couple of those silicone bags in to absorb any moisture. I took the seeds out of the fridge and let them sit out for a couple of days before trying to germinate them.

I broke my toe yesterday and spent most of my evening at the E.R so I did not get around to putting the blueberry seeds into water and peroxide last night. I am going to do it in a couple of minutes. I was wondering if I should put the Do-Si-Dos in water and peroxide too or give them some more time?

I was also wondering what am I supposed to do after putting them in the water and peroxide? Wait to see if a taproot comes out or soak them for a little while then try to germinate them again using paper towels or just plant them after soaking?

I am beginning to think my seeds were damaged while storing them. My Do-Si-Dos taproot hasn't come out either. I stored them in the crisper drawer of my refrigerator inside a manilla envelope lined with bubble wrap. Each strain is in a little ziplock bag inside the envelope, and I put a couple of those silicone bags in to absorb any moisture. I took the seeds out of the fridge and let them sit out for a couple of days before trying to germinate them.

I broke my toe yesterday and spent most of my evening at the E.R so I did not get around to putting the blueberry seeds into water and peroxide last night. I am going to do it in a couple of minutes. I was wondering if I should put the Do-Si-Dos in water and peroxide too or give them some more time?

I was also wondering what am I supposed to do after putting them in the water and peroxide? Wait to see if a taproot comes out or soak them for a little while then try to germinate them again using paper towels or just plant them after soaking?
So sorry to hear about the broken toe! Ouch!

Let them sit in the water/peroxide for a 24 hour period or so, and see if you can tell if the seed cracked open.
Even if it hasn't, do the soak and then put them between damp paper towel layers again. Not wet, just damp.
I would not use a heat pad. Just put them in a warm dark place, like the top of the refrigerator.
Hopefully they will respond.

24⁰C isn't bad, but on top of a cable box or, as @Lady Cannafan suggests, the top of your fridge might bump that up a couple of degrees.
Back when I used the paper towel method I had the most success on the cable box, or right at the edge of a heat mat where it doesn't get as warm.

I just put the blueberry seeds in the water and peroxide. They both are floating. However, one of them did sink to the bottom for a minute or two, then started to float.

What does the sinking or floating tell you?
Okay, here's my opinion on that. If they are floating, that means to me they did not crack open and get any moisture inside to start the growing process.
Again, just my opinion.

I have high hopes that you will see them crack open and begin the process, if they are not damaged or non-viable somehow.
Good luck! :green_heart:

Edit: I do a little trick after about 12 hours in the water if they haven't sunk yet. I tap the seeds gently to get them to sink. It seems to speed things up just a little for me.

Sorry about the toe! Ouch!

Idk of this is something you'd consider if you still don't have any joy. Danny says he does this with his old seeds that refuse to sprout. I don't think your storage is a problem. I sprout on a reptile heat mat in colder weather.

24⁰C isn't bad, but on top of a cable box or, as @Lady Cannafan suggests, the top of your fridge might bump that up a couple of degrees.
Back when I used the paper towel method I had the most success on the cable box, or right at the edge of a heat mat where it doesn't get as warm.
I was rushing when I replied to you earlier and I realize I didn't quite answer your question. I am using Vivosun Heating Mat and Thermostat....well, I am using their thermostat anyway. I cannot locate the heating mat so I am using a heating pad with a towel on it. The thermostat is set at 76. Should I bump it up to 80?

I was rushing when I replied to you earlier and I realize I didn't quite answer your question. I am using Vivosun Heating Mat and Thermostat....well, I am using their thermostat anyway. I cannot locate the heating mat so I am using a heating pad with a towel on it. The thermostat is set at 76. Should I bump it up to 80?
26⁰C sounds good to me.
I never got used to Fahrenheit, they stopped posting the weather report in both Celsius and Fahrenheit when I was too young to care about it.

What was the last thing I said yesterday?
Don't wear yourself out there's always tomorrow.
And you go break your toe.:rolleyes:
Please take it easy and recover. :Namaste:
We can't have you getting hurt. :hug:
Rest my friend.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

What was the last thing I said yesterday?
Don't wear yourself out there's always tomorrow.
And you go break your toe.:rolleyes:
Please take it easy and recover. :Namaste:
We can't have you getting hurt. :hug:
Rest my friend.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
I know! I caught my pinky toe on my nightstand. Thankfully, I don't have much feeling in my feet from nerve damage from my back. I took 3 or 4 steps after kicking the nightstand before I even realized I injured myself.

Thank you for your kind words!

Update-Blueberry seeds:
Edit: I do a little trick after about 12 hours in the water if they haven't sunk yet. I tap the seeds gently to get them to sink. It seems to speed things up just a little for me.
I soaked the blueberry seeds in water and peroxide. I pushed them down after 12 hours but only one stayed down. The other still wanted to float. Around 24 hours I tried to push the one that was floating down again. It still wanted to float. I went ahead and added both seeds back to the paper towels. We are back to waiting to see if the taproot's will come out and play.

Update-Blueberry seeds:

I soaked the blueberry seeds in water and peroxide. I pushed them down after 12 hours but only one stayed down. The other still wanted to float. Around 24 hours I tried to push the one that was floating down again. It still wanted to float. I went ahead and added both seeds back to the paper towels. We are back to waiting to see if the taproot's will come out and play.
I’ve had floaters pop before :thumb:
Good luck ;)
How’s the ole toe doing. :rolleyes:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Update-Blueberry seeds:

Fingers crossed for both of them.
If you have a jewelers loop or strong magnifier, you can look closely at the seeds and see if they've cracked.
I'm doing a "tap" dance for you. :)

Back
Top Bottom