Jon's Final Florida Journal For Real

I just found this: (I cut and pasted the article)
:oops:

Mysterious cannabis syndrome

A growing number of marijuana users are experiencing prolonged vomiting, a condition that may be related to the increased use and potency of the drug, finds Corryn Wetzel
DOCTORS are reporting a rise in people coming into emergency rooms with stomach pain and unrelenting vomiting. They compulsively take hot showers. Anti-nausea medication offers little relief. The unexpected culprit is cannabis – overconsumption can lead to what is known as cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome (CHS).

“Many patients with CHS have violent hurling when they arrive to the emergency department,” says Sam Torbati at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. They often show up weak and dehydrated, and sometimes lose consciousness, he says.

Cannabis is commonly associated with relieving nausea – so much so that chemotherapy patients are often prescribed medications containing THC, the psychoactive compound in the plant. But in humans and some other mammals, high doses of THC can have the opposite effect.

CHS is a relatively newly defined condition, first described in a handful of cases in Australia in the early 2000s. There is no blood test or scan to determine whether someone has the condition, so doctors instead look for a combination of symptoms including unrelenting nausea, bouts of vomiting and stomach pain. The intensity of this illness has led to the informal advent of a new word – “scromiting” – describing episodes where people are simultaneously vomiting and screaming in pain.

“The cause of this syndrome is unknown,” says Linda Parker at the University of Guelph in Canada, but it seems to be limited to long-term and high-dose users – so people won’t come down with this condition after a single toke.

CHS has a series of escalating phases, which can last days to years. A loss of appetite builds to the “hyperemetic phase”, which includes persistent, painful vomiting. This is usually when people begin compulsively bathing in hot water, which may offer temporary relief by diverting blood flow from the abdomen to the skin or possibly by activating a part of the brain called the hypothalamus, which is involved in both temperature regulation and appetite, among other things.

A growing problem

Though still rare, the prevalence of CHS has soared in the past decade. For example, one study found that the rate of emergency room admissions for it in Ontario, Canada, increased 13-fold from January 2014 to June 2021.

CHS shows up unpredictably, which makes it even trickier to spot. Decades-long marijuana users can develop CHS late in life, while some young people are coming down with the condition after a few years of heavy smoking.

Mounting research suggests one reason for the increase in cases may be greater access to marijuana, from vapes to edibles. In Colorado, there was a 29 per cent increase in vomiting-related emergency room visits in the five years following legalisation of the drug for recreational use.

A similar pattern has played out in Alberta, Canada. After marijuana was legalised in the province in 2018, the rate of CHS-related emergency room visits went from 15 per 100,000 people, to 21 per 100,000. In 2020, it jumped to 32 visits per 100,000 people across all age groups. For those aged 16 to 24, the rate climbed to 600 per 100,000 individuals.

One reason that CHS is more common among young adults may be because they consume the most marijuana. Another factor may be potency. Cannabis available today contains more than 10 times as much THC, on average, as it did in the 1970s.

Doctors can manage some symptoms with medication and intravenous fluids, but the only “cure” is cutting out cannabis and waiting for symptoms to subside, which may take months.

Rewiring the brain

Some find temporary relief from creams containing capsaicin, the active ingredient in chilli peppers, applied to the arms and belly. Experts think this warming sensation, similar to the effect of taking a hot shower, activates a receptor in the stomach that can calm nausea and vomiting.

Experts don’t know the exact mechanisms behind why cannabis can trigger this illness, but they agree that THC is to blame. The compound binds to receptors in the endocannabinoid system, which regulates sleep, appetite, mood and more. “We currently believe that CHS may result from chronic overstimulation of endocannabinoid receptors in the body, leading to derangements in the body’s intrinsic control of nausea and vomiting,” says Torbati.

Long-term, heavy cannabis use “can change how our brains regulate nausea and vomiting”, says Marieka DeVuono at Western University in Canada. “While much more research is needed to understand the link, it seems likely that endocannabinoid system impairment is underlying CHS.”

Marijuana users can lower their chance of developing CHS by taking the drug less often and reaching for less-potent products. There is some evidence that using products with cannabidiol (CBD) – the non-intoxicating part of the plant – could help prevent THC-induced nausea.
a new scare tactic like refer madness & just say no, i've never heard of this before, sounds like stomach ulcers

100% fake news
No, it's 100% a thing, just not as dramatic as they'll try to make it sound.

I liked the part about 1 year it was 15 per 100,000 and the very next year it was all the way up to 21! :eek:

The problem is that's out to the fourth decimal point and the rounding puts them equal. Hardly statistically significant.

At least they included the part where CBD might be an antidote. It's pretty well known that CBD in a large enough dose will interfere with THC's ability to bind to their receptors.

But, OMG, that would be even more cannabinoids! :eek:

Experts don’t know the exact mechanisms behind why cannabis can trigger this illness, but they agree that THC is to blame.
This is rather telling.
"We don't know what causes it, but we're sure it's caused by THC!"
If you can't define the mechanism of action, you can't assign causation. All you have is correlation.
Another problem is reporting bias. If it's illegal some people won't tell the doctor they were taking cannabis, so those cases won't be counted pre-legalization, but they will tell the doctor post-legalization, giving the statistics the appearance of rising numbers of cases, when no such rise is occurring. This happened with cases of children eating their parents edibles.
Another problem is those exact symptoms occur in people who haven't consumed cannabis at all. It was covered in an article I read in the news up here post legalization. Some anti-cannabis types were scare mongering as usual, and one doctor pointed out that their list of symptoms were a match for IBS.

All in all, until they can define what is actually happening, with evidence, I don't see anything to be worried about.

The drug companies are funding these "studies" trying everything they can to keep it illegal.

Cannabis is arguably better for sleep than Ambian without the side effects, better for chronic pain than options, better for anxiety, etc. Just those three are huge profit centers for them. They would suffer tremendously if a significant part of those markets shifted.

Also why they're trying to patent everything they possibly can. I don't blame them as that's their whole reason for being. I blame the politicians that are supposed to be working for us, not pandering to them.

This is rather telling.
"We don't know what causes it, but we're sure it's caused by THC!"
If you can't define the mechanism of action, you can't assign causation. All you have is correlation.
Another problem is reporting bias. If it's illegal some people won't tell the doctor they were taking cannabis, so those cases won't be counted pre-legalization, but they will tell the doctor post-legalization, giving the statistics the appearance of rising numbers of cases, when no such rise is occurring. This happened with cases of children eating their parents edibles.
Another problem is those exact symptoms occur in people who haven't consumed cannabis at all. It was covered in an article I read in the news up here post legalization. Some anti-cannabis types were scare mongering as usual, and one doctor pointed out that their list of symptoms were a match for IBS.

All in all, until they can define what is actually happening, with evidence, I don't see anything to be worried about.
Exactly ,it wasn't a thing 20 years ago, not sure i agree its a thing @Azimuth 💁‍♂️

Grasshoppers loved ‘em
Crickets, and they left immediately which means my lime tree Brix is spot on!
Morning @InTheShed - well, we have reached a point with the Blackberry Moonrocks where I have to discontinue the Remo experiment for this one plant.
Sorry to hear it but no surprise at all.
I’m certain the super high K numbers are at fault.
Indubitably!
Sorry buddy - I love this plant. I’m not trashing her for the sake of an experiment. The others are all three still on the plan.
No apologies needed Jon! You did exactly what you said you would and the results were 100% predicted. I appreciate you taking it all the way to failure.

A little flush might be helpful about now if backing it off doesn't help.

:thanks:

The drug companies are funding these "studies" trying everything they can to keep it illegal.

Cannabis is arguably better for sleep than Ambian without the side effects, better for chronic pain than options, better for anxiety, etc. Just those three are huge profit centers for them. They would suffer tremendously if a significant part of those markets shifted.

Also why they're trying to patent everything they possibly can. I don't blame them as that's their whole reason for being. I blame the politicians that are supposed to be working for us, not pandering to them.
Big pharmaceutical should be held accountable for their actions and products but that will never happen, if it was a restaurant that killed a bunch of people they wouldn't still be trading.
Seems the more money you have the more untouchable you are ,money pays for everything including power .

Crickets, and they left immediately which means my lime tree Brix is spot on!

Sorry to hear it but no surprise at all.

Indubitably!

No apologies needed Jon! You did exactly what you said you would and the results were 100% predicted. I appreciate you taking it all the way to failure.

A little flush might be helpful about now if backing it off doesn't help.

:thanks:
I have to agree. It’s simply too hot for flower. I’ve seen enough to feel confident saying 50% of the time it’s gonna be too much for the given strain and cause crispiness or whatever. That means I either have to find a different set or figure out the adjustments. Thanks for “participating” on that with me, @InTheShed. 100% predicted. Yup. Well, the upside is that the Cherry Pie and Double Grape just so happen to be two strains that can take their mix. At least so far. They both look great. And the DG is pretty far along too - I think she’s gonna make it to the end without issues. If you have seen what there is to see, I’m glad. Now I won’t feel bad about not going to 10ml on either of them. Lol.

I have to agree. It’s simply too hot for flower. I’ve seen enough to feel confident saying 50% of the time it’s gonna be too much for the given strain and cause crispiness or whatever. That means I either have to find a different set or figure out the adjustments. Thanks for “participating” on that with me, @InTheShed. 100% predicted. Yup. Well, the upside is that the Cherry Pie and Double Grape just so happen to be two strains that can take their mix. At least so far. They both look great. And the DG is pretty far along too - I think she’s gonna make it to the end without issues. If you have seen what there is to see, I’m glad. Now I won’t feel bad about not going to 10ml on either of them. Lol.
What pisses me off is the Astro Flower. Any nute that ends with 7-11 probably should be looked at pretty close. Those numbers are crazy. And they never tamp it down, just up up up to 10 and stay. I feel this ingredient is the cause of most of the issues. Between that and the Bloom at 7 on the K, you’re putting 18 ml of K into every gallon! Now wonder there’s issues. And I just thought of this, but I wonder if coco even magnifies the issues more due to the daily feeding?

Hi @Kanno26 - hey I have a question for you. You have used the Canna nutes haven’t you? I used the soil a long time ago but not the coco. I’d have to think they perform similarly. Am I right? What was your impression? Thanks!

What pisses me off is the Astro Flower. Any nute that ends with 7-11 probably should be looked at pretty close. Those numbers are crazy. And they never tamp it down, just up up up to 10 and stay. I feel this ingredient is the cause of most of the issues. Between that and the Bloom at 7 on the K, you’re putting 18 ml of K into every gallon! Now wonder there’s issues. And I just thought of this, but I wonder if coco even magnifies the issues more due to the daily feeding?
You should aim to lower K in coir since the medium naturally already contains it and it's being slowly released as the coir degrades. There no need to push P or K in containers, it will always end up being detrimental for potency.

There should be enough P and K in the base feed and if you look at formulations for coir you won't find high amount of K in the mix.

You should aim to lower K in coir since the medium naturally already contains it and it's being slowly released as the coir degrades. There no need to push P or K in containers, it will always end up being detrimental for potency.

There should be enough P and K in the base feed and if you look at formulations for coir you won't find high amount of K in the mix.
Thanks @Wastei - I did not know that coco already contains K. I thought ot was a 100% neutral medium. Okay, obviously very important to know. I don’t know how I didn’t know that.

Blackberry Moonrocks

Changed strategy a little. This closet set up is forcing me to play chess. Never expected the BM to get this tall. Anyway, so rather than keep pulling my colas wide, or raise the light on its tenuous supports even more, I decided instead to lower the light output
even more. We’re now at about 60%. The ppfd on the tallest colas is about 1100, and the lowest tops are about 600 ppfd. I can live with it considering she’s untrained. Note that I unchained her, and thus all her buds are concentrated under the light vs outside the field.

Between throttling back the nutes and the light, I believe I can bring her home intact.
IMG_3199.jpeg

IMG_3197.jpeg

IMG_3200.jpeg

IMG_3198.jpeg

Thanks @Wastei - I did not know that coco already contains K. I thought ot was a 100% neutral medium. Okay, obviously very important to know. I don’t know how I didn’t know that.
This is the exact reason I push people towards coco in an organic mix. Its great carbon for the microbes and great K slow-released for the whole grow. It steadies the run from start to finish.

This is the exact reason I push people towards coco in an organic mix. It’s great carbon for the microbes and great K slow-released for the whole grow. It steadies the run from start to finish.
What is the preferred % of soil to coco?

Back
Top Bottom