Jon's Final Florida Journal For Real

@ViparSpectra Tent Scrog
Cherry Pie
Double Grape
Day 58

Ok, looks like we are going to finally start making buds on the CP. Here’s a side shot where you see her size compared to the DG. I can’t really have the CP build buds taller than the tallest DG cola or I’ll have to adjust the light, which I don’t want to do. So we’ll see how vertical she gets from here. That will determine if I have to change the tent plants around with the closet.

58 days to budlets. Phew!

IMG_2855.jpeg

IMG_2856.jpeg

IMG_2857.jpeg

Garden
Skywalker
Bubblegum Sherbet
Stretch/Flower Day 9

The Sky and the BS. Sky has tint issues from the damn reds. But her color is the same as the other. Both are doing great.

IMG_2860.jpeg

IMG_2861.jpeg

IMG_2862.jpeg

Looking good Jon! 😍. Just curious, what PPFD levels are you running? I'm taking notes.
Hey @Gee64 - depends on the location.

The canopy level in the big tent (Semi-organic girls, the Skywalker and Bubblegum Sherbet) is at 1000 -1050. My big light is designed for the plants to get as close as 6”, although I have found it’s more like 8” where you start to get foxtails. So from here I simply let them flower out into the light. From here they won’t get close to 8”, and I prefer it more like 12”. At 12” it’s around 1250 ppfd.

There actually is a canopy level in the 420h/Blurple Closet as both plants are the same height. It’s hotter in there due to the reds, which have plenty of whites, and the full spectrum at 100%. I mean hotter heat wise as well as ppfd. But the ppfd at canopy is close to 1300 with the reds, on one side of the plant, and more like 1150 on the dark side. Thus, the daily 180 they do. It’s hot - as high as I’ll go. If the BM keeps stretching too much more I’ll lose her stand and lower her a couple inches. I have it hot in there because the Strawberry Gorilla is easily halfway through flower, and she can take those numbers. I have watched her closely since adding the reds, and see no signs of light stress.

The canopy in the VS scrog is sort of non existent, lol. The net was originally set at 950 ppfd. The highest colas on the Double Grape are at about 1250. The high point in the back on the Cherry Pie is at about 1100. This is with both the XS 1500 Pros at 75%.

The outside half gallon girls in direct sun are close to 2000 ppfd at midday, but that light is 93,000,000 miles away and I can’t reach it in the wheelchair.

:rofl:

Hey @Gee64 - depends on the location.

The canopy level in the big tent (Semi-organic girls, the Skywalker and Bubblegum Sherbet) is at 1000 -1050. My big light is designed for the plants to get as close as 6”, although I have found it’s more like 8” where you start to get foxtails. So from here I simply let them flower out into the light. From here they won’t get close to 8”, and I prefer it more like 12”. At 12” it’s around 1250 ppfd.

There actually is a canopy level in the 420h/Blurple Closet as both plants are the same height. It’s hotter in there due to the reds, which have plenty of whites, and the full spectrum at 100%. I mean hotter heat wise as well as ppfd. But the ppfd at canopy is close to 1300 with the reds, on one side of the plant, and more like 1150 on the dark side. Thus, the daily 180 they do. It’s hot - as high as I’ll go. If the BM keeps stretching too much more I’ll lose her stand and lower her a couple inches. I have it hot in there because the Strawberry Gorilla is easily halfway through flower, and she can take those numbers. I have watched her closely since adding the reds, and see no signs of light stress.

The canopy in the VS scrog is sort of non existent, lol. The net was originally set at 950 ppfd. The highest colas on the Double Grape are at about 1250. The high point in the back on the Cherry Pie is at about 1100. This is with both the XS 1500 Pros at 75%.

The outside half gallon girls in direct sun are close to 2000 ppfd at midday, but that light is 93,000,000 miles away and I can’t reach it in the wheelchair.

:rofl:
Btw - note the more conservative light numbers in the photo tent. It’s the autos I crush. Photos I grow them right, which to me means it’s not so much about maxing the ppfd numbers as it is about reading the plant and determining it’s sweet spot. Generally I find with photos that sweet spot is lower.

Btw - note the more conservative light numbers in the photo tent. It’s the autos I crush. Photos I grow them right, which to me means it’s not so much about maxing the ppfd numbers as it is about reading the plant and determining it’s sweet spot. Generally I find with photos that sweet spot is lower.
Thanks Jon👊 This is good stuff. Every time I get over 1050 PPFD I start to see some leaf stress.

Not nescessarily bad, but tips start to stand up, things like that. I like to keep them right about at that stage.

Once stretch finishes I will see what happens if I up to 1100. I think they could easily handle it.

My manufacturer recommends a 12" hanging height. Once I get the hang of the new light I am going to try to maintain this through the entire grow and turn the volume down.

Right now I'm still 24" from the light.

Think that will make any difference?

I care more about the plants than saving money on my electricity bill.

Thanks Jon👊 This is good stuff. Every time I get over 1050 PPFD I start to see some leaf stress.

Not nescessarily bad, but tips start to stand up, things like that. I like to keep them right about at that stage.

Once stretch finishes I will see what happens if I up to 1100. I think they could easily handle it.

My manufacturer recommends a 12" hanging height. Once I get the hang of the new light I am going to try to maintain this through the entire grow and turn the volume down.

Right now I'm still 24" from the light.

Think that will make any difference?

I care more about the plants than saving money on my electricity bill.
From what I see of your grow Gee, I wouldn’t change a thing. They look super happy to me, they’re praying, you have no canoe-ing, etc. To my eyes you’re in if it ain’t broke territory. I would not put too much stock in manufacturers recommendations. That’s why you have the app. It’s a good thing to do sometime in an empty tent to test your light at the same distances as the par charts list, and see how close the app is to their charts. I always find the app is more accurate. I mean, okay, they recommend distance X. Did they consider your environment? Your growing style? Whether or not you use CO2? (See my point?)

I say do what you’re doing. Continue to read your plants. You’re an expert at it. And if you get a bug up your ass, go ahead and raise the plants or increase the light output to raise ppfd to where you wanna try. They’ll tell you soon enough if it’s okay or not.

he’s a nice guy who is cool enough to spell his name properly. Lol!
Then why didn’t you add the “h” back in? 😘
That plant was special to me. My first ever clone. Brought back from the dead when she was barely alive. Turned into a beast.
Special to me too. Maybe something good comes of it, though?

Devo for you mate. I got a son after two girls though 😆🤷🏽

Nick

From what I see of your grow Gee, I wouldn’t change a thing. They look super happy to me, they’re praying, you have no canoe-ing, etc. To my eyes you’re in if it ain’t broke territory. I would not put too much stock in manufacturers recommendations. That’s why you have the app. It’s a good thing to do sometime in an empty tent to test your light at the same distances as the par charts list, and see how close the app is to their charts. I always find the app is more accurate. I mean, okay, they recommend distance X. Did they consider your environment? Your growing style? Whether or not you use CO2? (See my point?)

I say do what you’re doing. Continue to read your plants. You’re an expert at it. And if you get a bug up your ass, go ahead and raise the plants or increase the light output to raise ppfd to where you wanna try. They’ll tell you soon enough if it’s okay or not.
Last thing - it’s easy to get caught up in chasing higher ppfd. It’s damn, if I can get it higher I’ll have more yield. And yeah, sometimes. But what also often comes with the pursuit of par is burnt sugar leaves, burnt tips, foxtails, canoed leaves, and brown pistils. Took me a long time to get over it. Do yourself a favor and don’t get caught up. Lol!

Then why didn’t you add the “h” back in? 😘

Special to me too. Maybe something good comes of it, though?

Devo for you mate. I got a son after two girls though 😆🤷🏽

Nick
Ha! Like in common gutter John? Lol.

Idk what Devo is other than a weird 80s band with one hit. Sounds like it means too fucking bad. Lol.

Add Co2 bump EC and run it all hotter and more humid.
See @Gee64? Case in point. Lmao! I hear you NickHardy - you know who my guy is when I’m ready. All I’ve said is if you don’t have CO2. If you do, you go for it. Why else get it? Right?

Ha! Like in common gutter John? Lol.

Idk what Devo is other than a weird 80s band with one hit. Sounds like it means too fucking bad. Lol.
Its very Aussie but South African used too - devastated

Meant genuinely mostly (as in this case)

Plant turns out to be a bloke, Phillies lost. “I’m legit devo for you mate”

Its very Aussie but South African used too - devastated

Meant genuinely mostly (as in this case)

Plant turns out to be a bloke, Phillies lost. “I’m legit devo for you mate”
Ah! Cool! I dig that. Might have to introduce that to Pa.

See @Gee64? Case in point. Lmao! I hear you NickHardy - you know who my guy is when I’m ready. All I’ve said is if you don’t have CO2. If you do, you go for it. Why else get it? Right?
Just be careful as fuck with Co2 (I’m sure you will be!) but a soon as you start getting 200lb canisters of it and running pipes through your house with it you need be super careful.

For anyone reading that’s not Jon (sans “h”) really be careful. Kill you in a minute.

Just be careful as fuck with Co2 (I’m sure you will be!) but a soon as you start getting 200lb canisters of it and running pipes through your house with it you need be super careful.

For anyone reading that’s not Jon (sans “h”) really be careful. Kill you in a minute.
So I shouldn’t smoke around an open tank and stuff? :rofl: Jk. I hear you. Hey, at least it only took me a grow or two to realize those mushroom bags are the worlds biggest ripoff. Lmao.

Nah you’d have to try really quite hard to ignite a tank of Co2

A Marboro ain’t gonna do it.

You get it above 4-5000 ppm in your tent or room and yeah - kills you.

Background os 4-500 ppm depending countryside or city

I flower and only if you have the light to match and a little toppy temp and Rh relative to what you did before (you need them all working together then it works gangbusters style) its also helps with pests. Kills ‘em or suppresses them minimum.

You want to target 1100-1400ppm sweet spot.

The bags - they can be OK. But they take about two weeks to hit peak release.

I saw like a really big one here recently. Gonna try one myself for the Canuk Journal where I’m not gonna use any fancy stuff - Just don’t rest it on top of your new sponsors Vipra light though - like that fellow grower here did 🤣

You veg to 60 days with photos, right?

So at 28 days or so open a bag up because at 40-45 days its doing its job and the Co2 critical period is generally believed to be last week or two veg and and first week or two of flower. That said - I always feel like living in the tropics, a not dissimilar environment to Florida (Philly gonna be way different obvs) at $12.50 a week in the main room I save way more on AC and Dehumidifier electricity cost

But its probably more expensive elsewhere.

But I can’t stress enough - it can kill you, your family and everyone in minutes you start not taking it seriously.

Any Co2 sensor with a digital fancy display is not up to task in a grow tent. The style of sensor in them isn’t up to scratch.

We use Inkbird controller's for the cylinders and recently got this badboy from Pulse Grow as a secondary they read close-on the same - which is super reassuring! Pulse emails me in seconds the Co2 is off target - switched off all the other alerts. Those Co2 cylinders are like 100kg full. 200lb 320 fitting - absolute pain to transport and ehen kicks off in the back of your pickup when you’re driving home is horrible - only time I’ve seen frost in Thailand 😂
IMG_7118.jpeg
a40856c6-0aeb-4217-8f6b-6fabd6f85e45.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom