Jon's Final Florida Journal For Real

Also Azi, do you think that what I described will indeed cause a bit of stress and it might cause a nice response?
Trichome production seems to be a means of protection for the buds from UV, bugs, drought, etc, so it seems reasonable that some stress is better than not. I'm not sure how much stress you invoke though from reducing the watering of the coco without drying it completely. But, don't grow in coco so maybe?

Roots and AirPots

Guys, is this a thing? I haven’t used AirPots too much and these are taller than the others I’ve used and not as wide. I wouldn’t expect these VS tent scrog plants roots to even make it all the way down necessarily due to the tallness of these pots. Don’t like them, won’t use them again. But check it out - it seems the roots on these two must have something good going on inside there, cuz I have this…..

IMG_2380.jpeg

IMG_2382.jpeg

IMG_2381.jpeg

IMG_2383.jpeg
I’ve heard a lot of good stuff about those but never tried them. Maybe 🤔 worth another look 👀 see? CL🍀. :thumb: :cheesygrinsmiley:

Roots and AirPots

Guys, is this a thing? I haven’t used AirPots too much and these are taller than the others I’ve used and not as wide. I wouldn’t expect these VS tent scrog plants roots to even make it all the way down necessarily due to the tallness of these pots. Don’t like them, won’t use them again. But check it out - it seems the roots on these two must have something good going on inside there, cuz I have this…..

IMG_2380.jpeg

IMG_2382.jpeg

IMG_2381.jpeg

IMG_2383.jpeg
I find weed grows better in taller pots than in wider pots, if thats what you were wondering about. I had my bags custom made by Mrs Gee to 14" diameter and 16" tall, which is almost 11 gallons, and then gets reduced a bit when I squeeze it into a milk crate. Roots are usually poking out the bottom on day 18-21 when I sprout in them.

Trichome production seems to be a means of protection for the buds from UV, bugs, drought, etc, so it seems reasonable that some stress is better than not. I'm not sure how much stress you invoke though from reducing the watering of the coco without drying it completely. But, don't grow in coco so maybe?
Thanks Azi. I do grow coco and I have no idea either. It no side lights this time, and it had to be them or this. Figured isolating it would at least get me closer.

I find weed grows better in taller pots than in wider pots, if thats what you were wondering about. I had my bags custom made by Mrs Gee to 14" diameter and 16" tall, which is almost 11 gallons, and then gets reduced a bit when I squeeze it into a milk crate. Roots are usually poking out the bottom on day 18-21 when I sprout in them.
That’s exactly what I was wondering. I like your height with that width. These tall and thinnish pots are super hard to water and I have a hard time gauging how’s deep and/or extensive my roots are at a given time.

@Jon , my full response got cut off. I edited it above...
Ah. Well I had the first part. The second part is awesome and adds. This is part of why I went to early uppotting - exactly so I will not have a dense rootball.

Btw - I want a Mrs. Gee too! How awesome. Custom pots. What a lucky snob you are.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That’s exactly what I was wondering. I like your height with that width. These tall and thinnish pots are super hard to water and I have a hard time gauging how’s deep and/or extensive my roots are at a given time.
Yeah thats a very valid point. I went with drippers and I don't let them dry out. I keep my pots damp always, like a sauna, unless I need them dry, like every so often when I dry the tops to see if they crust.

Yeah thats a very valid point. I went with drippers and I don't let them dry out. I keep my pots damp always, like a sauna, unless I need them dry, like every so often when I dry the tops to see if they crust.
Are you talking in flower or you keep the pot damp like that in veg too? No wet-dry cycle to grow roots for you in veg? I get flower damp I do that too.

Are you talking in flower or you keep the pot damp like that in veg too? No wet-dry cycle to grow roots for you in veg? I get flower damp I do that too.
Well a bit of both. I sprout in 10 gallon pots so I need to hand water those, but by about 30 days in I am on the drippers. They keep the moisture levels homogenous throughout the pot. I prefer damper and less damp to wet and dry. I also live in a dry desert and you are in muggy Florida so that may come into play. I avoid dry at all costs. Nothing likes dry. Myco and microbes go dormant.

420h Closet
Strawberry Gorilla (flower)
Blackberry Moonrocks (veg)

Here’s an overhead of both plants and a shot of how stretch and dominance control is going on the SG. @InTheShed - I know we are most curious about how Remo by the book handles flower, but it’s worthy of note that doing it by the book on all four autos in this grow I have significantly better color on all four plants. Last time I had already begun the additives and overdid the calmag and their color was meh. These are super healthy and the right color green all around. I have to think that’s due to sticking to the schedule and that it was my additives that screwed up some plants. Nobody has reported veg issues with Remo that I have seen so far, have you? The overhead shot is pretty close to representing the real colors, and the 420h does it’s wash out a little thing in the side shot.

Also worthy of note is in the side shot you can see how I try to keep as many fans as I can for as long as I can. As the branches stretch you can try to tuck and bend leaves downwards and manipulate leaf stems just like growth stems. I try to end up “skirting” them, if that makes sense.

IMG_2385.jpeg

IMG_2386.jpeg

Well a bit of both. I sprout in 10 gallon pots so I need to hand water those, but by about 30 days in I am on the drippers. They keep the moisture levels homogenous throughout the pot. I prefer damper and less damp to wet and dry. I also live in a dry desert and you are in muggy Florida so that may come into play. I avoid dry at all costs. Nothing likes dry. Myco and microbes go dormant.
Ah…myco goes dormant in dry. That’s huge to know regardless of geography. Thanks. And duh, of course it does.

420h Closet
Strawberry Gorilla (flower)
Blackberry Moonrocks (veg)

Here’s an overhead of both plants and a shot of how stretch and dominance control is going on the SG. @InTheShed - I know we are most curious about how Remo by the book handles flower, but it’s worthy of note that doing it by the book on all four autos in this grow I have significantly better color on all four plants. Last time I had already begun the additives and overdid the calmag and their color was meh. These are super healthy and the right color green all around. I have to think that’s due to sticking to the schedule and that it was my additives that screwed up some plants. Nobody has reported veg issues with Remo that I have seen so far, have you? The overhead shot is pretty close to representing the real colors, and the 420h does it’s wash out a little thing in the side shot.

Also worthy of note is in the side shot you can see how I try to keep as many fans as I can for as long as I can. As the branches stretch you can try to tuck and bend leaves downwards and manipulate leaf stems just like growth stems. I try to end up “skirting” them, if that makes sense.

IMG_2385.jpeg

IMG_2386.jpeg
Forgot this: the advantage of skirting the fans is two fold and huge in my opinion. The fans are obviously your engines still at this point. The more you have the more she will hum. In my experience this is without fail, immutable, a maxim. But what it also does with respect to your canopy and yield is the magic part. I have tons of healthy fans powering this girl. I now have the freedom to open her top up to the light. I can take maybe a few more light blockers, especially in the center growth, with no fear. So you can see everything better and more easily remove the crap as it sprouts. The center has way better air flow and way more shoots (your center buds) exposed, and now it’s easy when you’re ready to do your pick and choose the keepers thing. More light = more growth = more bud. Simple as that. But you gotta have a power source that doesn’t block everything. Skirting the fans seems to accomplish this very effectively.

@ViparSpectra Tent
XS 1500 Pro Scrog Grow
Cherry Pie Auto
Double Grape Auto

The scrog is starting to look like a scrog sorta. The girls are seemingly right on the edge of flower gear. I’m in anticipation of that mode, as both I’d like to be quicker. Thick stemmed indica heavy hybrids in my experience are slower and these girls are no exception. I mean at this point especially with respect to the shoot/new growth lengths. They take a while before you can traverse the distance to the next line (stupid crappy screen…). This is why I have combined the screen and stakes on this one, usually I don’t.

They are both on flower week two of @Remo Nutrients by the charts.

The XS 1500 Pros are great for scrogs I’m finding. They are powerful little buggers for their size. These two are set at 75% and my screen level ppfd is 950. I don’t think I’ll get to 100% this time. I think I’m going to let the buds grow into the light and whatever higher ppfd numbers they make it to. At 950 to start the canopy I have all kinds of freedom in that regard and can read the plants to adjust if it looks good to go to 100%. Obviously this saves you a little coin and small and powerful packages like these can be pretty economical, definitely a plus. Bravo ViparSpectra. For us at a mere $119, they have become my favorite small lights.

IMG_2387.jpeg

IMG_2388.jpeg

IMG_2389.jpeg

SIPs FTW!
The evil one speaks again, trying to draw the Jedis to the dark side…lol.

How about you let me learn at least the damn basics of myco before we go with your SIP peer pressure?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ah…myco goes dormant in dry. That’s huge to know regardless of geography. Thanks. And duh, of course it does.
That being said, after harvest if you let myco go dry slowly in a cool dark corner, it senses the plant has died and will spore out before going dormant making next grow better. Microbes too, and every grow that soil will indigenize to that strain more and more. Adding used soil at potting is an innoculant.

Next time I'm at my computer I'll run the weekly numbers for the Remo chart and post them here. I would guess that it's the belief that they need tons of K in flower that can create trouble, which you've seen with the bloom boosters.

That being said, after harvest if you let myco go dry slowly in a cool dark corner, it senses the plant has died and will spore out before going dormant making next grow better. Microbes too, and every grow that soil will indigenize to that strain more and more. Adding used soil at potting is an innoculant.
Awesome. This would partially explain why some long term organic growers have used the same soil for a long time and claim it gets better and better, yes?

Back
Top Bottom