Jon's Final Florida Journal For Real

Hey Jon i've never scrog'd before so can't say, it seems to be picking up steam after the roots dried out it has grown taller from yesterday but my other Mephisto the FC x SN roots broke through the bottom of the coco coir pot so its now in the ground & updated my journal
I just checked it out. Sorry I forgot. I was ahead of you by a little. I love the crystal thing. Posted as such.

I just checked it out. Sorry I forgot. I was ahead of you by a little. I love the crystal thing. Posted as such.
Mephisto is so well respected in the auto world and have been doing it longer than everyone. I feel their focus is not so much on selling monsters necessarily but really strong, solid, and well tested and sourced strains that will be every bit as good as they say. But since they don’t focus on size so much the plants can maybe be a bit unpredictable in that regard. They have sooo many cool crosses though! Just my impression.

Nice flat canopy looks great as usual.
I still feel bad about burning up the AF. The comparison thing was fun. I was looking forward to a lot of questions I had being answered. One big one was, if my plant was say x wide and y tall, and yours was say two or three or four times the physical size of mine, would the yield translation hold proportionally? Like if I got ten zips and yours is four times the size, would you get 40? That sort of thing. Anyway, thanks for doing that with me. I could argue we should split the prizes for GJOM - i think the uniqueness of that interested enough folks that we both had many folks watching, which allows folks like me and you to learn whatever we need to know about our grows! I had a blast. Thanks.

Mephisto is so well respected in the auto world and have been doing it longer than everyone. I feel their focus is not so much on selling monsters necessarily but really strong, solid, and well tested and sourced strains that will be every bit as good as they say. But since they don’t focus on size so much the plants can maybe be a bit unpredictable in that regard. They have sooo many cool crosses though! Just my impression.
yeah from what i've seen on there site its more about quality & taste than size but have seen some big plants from them on reddit r/mephheads

I still feel bad about burning up the AF. The comparison thing was fun. I was looking forward to a lot of questions I had being answered. One big one was, if my plant was say x wide and y tall, and yours was say two or three or four times the physical size of mine, would the yield translation hold proportionally? Like if I got ten zips and yours is four times the size, would you get 40? That sort of thing. Anyway, thanks for doing that with me. I could argue we should split the prizes for GJOM - i think the uniqueness of that interested enough folks that we both had many folks watching, which allows folks like me and you to learn whatever we need to know about our grows! I had a blast. Thanks.
Yours was a beautiful plant before the burn. It could have been a POTM

yeah from what i've seen on there site its more about quality & taste than size but have seen some big plants from them on reddit r/mephheads
Yup. Me too. They rock apparently. I’ll try them again.

Yours was a beautiful plant before the burn. It could have been a POTM
Might even woulda been perhaps, but that dude who is running away with that one grew a masterpiece. A gorgeous plant even for him. But thanks. Yeah, she’ll get another shot. I have seven seeds cuz freebies. I feel that plant beat me, and I don’t go out like that.

On board for another beauty!! Last one FLA!
Hey @StoneOtter, as my scrog Sensei, I have a radical scrog idea to bounce off you.

What if we tried a scrog in 3 dimensions rather than 2? Think LightAddict’s Death Star. Only that one took him close to forever (it’s the sickest training thing ever). I have asked him about this idea, and he seems to think it’s possible.

A scrog screen shaped exactly like, and in the actual proportions of, the Great Pyramid.

Four semi vertical walls to fill (even though the actual pyramid is in fact 8- sided). Buds on the outside only - a hollow pyramid in the middle which would be dark anyway and completely light blocked by the fully bud laden walls. With the main cola bud at the top in a perfect world! We can put a little dime store LED light that changes colors inside for effect when it’s done.

I know it could be done. I think it would have to be a coco/photo situation to be able to completely control flip timing and cuz from what I’ve gathered so far in the lab that’s not a best case organic scenario. But that would allow for the growth rate to get it done in reasonable time. And since you’d be filling the walls all at the same time once you got a starter band wrapped all around the base, it would essentially only take as long as it took to fill one wall as high as necessary. Would be challenging to determine when to stretch her and integrate that growth into the upper walls, and a bigger challenge to get the timing right so the plant finished as the last cola finished on the top of the pyramid.

I’m not sure I have the skills to do it. Making the shape and screen is simple. The way to grow it to work I have figured out. It would be a timing or pruning masterpiece of training when it was done and it would look so cool. Probably be productive too!

What do you think??

We have to see if crispy leaves are the Remo thing or what happens by the book.
We have to see if crispy leaves are the Remo thing if you go by their book!
I’m not sure I have the skills to do it. Making the shape and screen is simple. The way to grow it to work I have figured out. It would be a timing or pruning masterpiece of training when it was done and it would look so cool. Probably be productive too!
I have no doubt you could do that with enough time! Four triangular grids, top the plant to get probably 8 mains (two for each wall), train them out to the bottoms of the walls, and then top those to get them to spread and fill it. Shouldn't be too tough with a pyramid frame, but doing it freehand seems like a lot more of a challenge!

I know ai’ve been away a week or so but seriously, you’ve changed man! 🤣

Patience I guess is the thing but sure you went all in on it you could.
Life is change my friend. You’re the same way I would argue. I have yet to see you find something cool you aren’t willing to try your own version of whether you’ve done it before or not! We are adventurers man, and I like to make the journey fun and keep it challenging.

We have to see if crispy leaves are the Remo thing if you go by their book!

I have no doubt you could do that with enough time! Four triangular grids, top the plant to get probably 8 mains (two for each wall), train them out to the bottoms of the walls, and then top those to get them to spread and fill it. Shouldn't be too tough with a pyramid frame, but doing it freehand seems like a lot more of a challenge!
Btw - so far so good on all three that are old enough to perhaps start to show although granted it is early yet. I guess it was about halfway through flower on the Apple Fritter when she went south, and I unfortunately obliterated any relevance on the others with that misguided double hit of PK 13/14. But they are showing no signs of issue yet - not even curling a bit which I would expect first.

Wow did you just nail my precise plan! That’s the only way I think. If you ran the band around first the nodal growth would grow up in the order it formed, not evenly in several lines up. The extra topping would be key. But I *think* from that point it would get temporarily easy, until the question of when to flip came up. However, the “cheat” on that could simply be a pair of scissors, thus making the flip timing less vital. I think it also approximates the natural
Plant shape better than other shapes, which wouldn’t be especially relevant here but would make it seem sort of natural.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Btw - so far so good on all three that are old enough to perhaps start to show although granted it is early yet. I guess it was about halfway through flower on the Apple Fritter when she went south, and I unfortunately obliterated any relevance on the others with that misguided double hit of PK 13/14. But they are showing no signs of issue yet - not even curling a bit which I would expect first.

Wow did you just nail my precise plan! That’s the only way I think. If you ran the band around first the nodal growth would grow up in the order it formed, not evenly in several lines up. The extra topping would be key. But I *think* from that point it would get temporarily easy, until the question of when to flip came up. However, the “cheat” on that could simply be a pair of scissors, thus making the flip timing less vital. I think it also approximates the natural
Plant shape better than other shapes, which wouldn’t be especially relevant here but would make it seem sort of natural.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!
Someone else can try the same Remo experiment on a photo. Would a photo and an auto necessarily react to a given nute system the same way? Idk the answer to that. Would be good info to have though. Now that I think about it, that’s actually the exact assumption I make and always have. But as of now I guess really I’m operating on an assumption, not a confirmed set of facts. Lol.

I looked at LA’s stuff - trying to use some fluxing lite type stuff on the outdoor grow and I have a donut theory which just seeing some of his plants which is similar to your pyramid.

Assume a 4ft space and a 4ft light. 8 plants in circle/donut but no plant in the middle where the best PPFD is likely but think that would be made up for by all 8 plants being able to grow into that area.

Here’s something I think will especially make sense to you:

An auto is simply a photo with a fuse. Treat it as such. If you don’t like to train through the stretch (with autos it’s not the best idea imo), think in terms of having four weeks from sprout to do whatever you’re going to for training. But don’t fall into the “autos are different“ trap. They’re not. I uppot them every time. I train exactly as I would a photo. In every regard, topping, FIMming, supercropping, LST, HST - it is exactly the same with a 28 day fuse on average.

That’s how I think of them. Hope that’s helpful.
Hey Jon I have a question for you, have you ever stunted your Auto’s? I only grew them once and I got Pygmy plants 🪴. I think @InTheShed refers to them as Spogs. CL🍀. :thumb: :cheesygrinsmiley:

I think @InTheShed refers to them as Spogs.
Not all stunted autos are spogs®, but all spogs® are stunted autos. What makes a spog® a spog® (single point of green) is the short cola with no side branches.
full

Hey @StoneOtter, as my scrog Sensei, I have a radical scrog idea to bounce off you.

What if we tried a scrog in 3 dimensions rather than 2? Think LightAddict’s Death Star. Only that one took him close to forever (it’s the sickest training thing ever). I have asked him about this idea, and he seems to think it’s possible.

A scrog screen shaped exactly like, and in the actual proportions of, the Great Pyramid.

Four semi vertical walls to fill (even though the actual pyramid is in fact 8- sided). Buds on the outside only - a hollow pyramid in the middle which would be dark anyway and completely light blocked by the fully bud laden walls. With the main cola bud at the top in a perfect world! We can put a little dime store LED light that changes colors inside for effect when it’s done.

I know it could be done. I think it would have to be a coco/photo situation to be able to completely control flip timing and cuz from what I’ve gathered so far in the lab that’s not a best case organic scenario. But that would allow for the growth rate to get it done in reasonable time. And since you’d be filling the walls all at the same time once you got a starter band wrapped all around the base, it would essentially only take as long as it took to fill one wall as high as necessary. Would be challenging to determine when to stretch her and integrate that growth into the upper walls, and a bigger challenge to get the timing right so the plant finished as the last cola finished on the top of the pyramid.

What do you think??
Probably need 4 lights each at an angle, one for each side of your pyramid as the whole idea of a scrog is one level surface with each node the same distance to the light. You'd have more surface area so theoretically more bud.

Interesting idea, but I wonder if the tradeoff in 3 extra lights and more electricity use would be worth it. 🤔

Probably need 4 lights each at an angle, one for each side of your pyramid as the whole idea of a scrog is one level surface with each node the same distance to the light. You'd have more surface area so theoretically more bud.

Interesting idea, but I wonder if the tradeoff in 3 extra lights and more electricity use would be worth it. 🤔
If you grew 2 branches out into 2 opposite triangles and then wove them sideways until you had them completely around the base, and grew the next node above out on the 2 opposite triangles and a layer up, them wove those around sideways, and then the next node up, and so on, but kept wrapping the branches at each node around the pyramid, and let side branching from those branches fill it in, I think it would be pretty cool, then let one cola grow up the top like an antenna to signal the aliens.

Your surface area would be far greater than a regular scrog. Then when every triangle is covered trim all tops back so its an even pyramid of green and flip it to flower so all the flower tops don't stretch too far away from the pyramid.

Back
Top Bottom