Jon's Final Florida Journal For Real

Thanks @Gee64!

Autos and getting them to be show pieces depends very much on the hours of light they get. @Chuckeye grows some showpiece autos, I have grown a few, and there are others. I’m pretty confident they will all tell you what I’m going to. More hours of light than you are talking about is key. Imho.

I run them 24/0 until I see they are changing. At that point they go to 20/4. Does that sometimes exceed normal DLI (if that’s your thing)? Yes. It’s okay. Mine will sometimes droop before 20 hours. Somehow (this is esoteric, lol), they seem to store it. The next day they’ve exploded again. Coco or soil.

You will definitely have smaller autos at finish growing as you do organically. They’ll be as good of quality as any photo you’ve ever grown though. Betcha even you won’t be able to tell the difference in a side by side blindfolded test. The genetics really have come that far.

Check out the breeders projected yield for autos in their seed marketing as you look around. Most will have much higher yield numbers indoors. This is entirely due to the hours of light they can get there.

Regardless, you’ll have show autos just cuz how you grow. Size and yield are irrelevant to a plant being a show plant. And frankly, if you believe that, and if you want little conversation show plants that will give you 3-8 ounces depending on the strain, then going 12/12 outside might work well for you. The only difference is size. That might be good for porch show plants, idk.

Also - please do not use threes. Your way, you need at least fives for a proper auto with root space. I’d go 7s at least. Flower time is not dissimilar to photos. The roots will fill a 7 easy.

There’s a few things that may help.
I was thinking for outdoors only with the autos. Patio plants. Maybe 2 grows a summer overlapping in the middle. I would use 10 gallon pots most likely as all my tubs hold 20 gallons each. If they don't care, and actually accelerate as the days get longer through April, May, and June, and then crop 2 can go June July and August, and be all done by September that would be very cool. I could sample 8 different ones each year.

It would supply my freezer with worm food and my top secret highly sophisticated floor safe full of cured mason jars (yeah its a black and yellow tub that sits on the floor) with a wider variety.

Not to mention what my friends and family receive😊.

Thats good stuff. Will they get at least 3 feet tall from the soil?
The Pink Rozay I just harvested today was less than 36” tall from soil to top of tallest cola. Just under. About 2.5 feet wide. I used only nodes 1-4 and did not top or train her beyond pulling out branches and defol. She’s an indica. That’s how she naturally grew. You saw the buds. My guess now that she’s hung is she’s a 10 ounce jarred and perfectly trimmed plant of show buds with next to zero flarf. Note: this level of production is HIGHLY unusual. I have theories galore and will discuss in my epilogue. But this plant is a superstar and would make an excellent candidate for what you want. Strawberry Banana is another. Both of these are at least 24% thc, indica based, easy as hell, and gorgeous. I can’t imagine how beautiful yours will be considering you will always outcolor anything I can do with chem. And these are straight up purple, red, light yellow, orange, and pink. The buds themselves I mean. The plant is beyond belief and I will be trying it organic or semi asap. Absolute superstar. Anything in the Runtz vein would work well for you too most likely. Read the descriptions of how they grow. Some are better than others if they are even provided. But Growers Choice, Blimburn, Mephisto, and 420FastBuds is where I’d start. All are top notch genetics. Some might toss Barney’s Farm in there too. And Humboldt Seed Co, where imho you will find the best terps always. Those boys know what’s up.

When it rains it pours….
@ViparSpectra Tent
Cherry Pie/Double Grape auto scrog

Well, as I told you, no way I fill the screen before flower. And guess who is also now flipping? Damn. Picked the wrong strains for a scrog. But that’s okay. For the record, both these auto strains are quick to flower. Both less than 28 days. Why the damn breeders decided to be accurate about these for a change is beyond me (lol).

So let’s train and fill through a stretch that’ll be way too short and see how we do.

First feed tomorrow begins the VS autos on week one of the Remo flower chart.

I have decided to train through their stretch and try to fill it. Why not? So what if it costs me a few grams. And I want to see how the lights handle a scrog.

Here’s the rather unimpressive state of affairs. I turned the lights up to 75% each, which pumped up our ppfd at the screen to 950. And a shot of each plant flipping.

@con - don’t see why yours would be different. Heads up. DG on the left.
IMG_2280.jpeg

IMG_2282.jpeg

IMG_2281.jpeg

New Garden in the 5x5

Hi Guys! I’m all refreshed and back to work. Yesterday was a long one for me. After all the work I learned so much from @Gee64 my head was spinning. He has now sort of “signed on” (very informally, lol) as my go to guy on the development of this plant. Frankly, I’m so out of my depth on this that whatever he tells me to do I’m going to, lol. And we have made some significant changes and decisions which are already being implemented. So let’s see the reset tent. Here’s our new arrangements in total. We have the clone in the most of it and then sweetheart alley on the left.

Also, after consulting, I learned I should begin to take off the nodes I won’t use sooner than later. I’m going to use 7 colas to fill the screen and chop all else. But I wanted to space it out for the plant. So here’s her new underside and a closeup on the stem to show what I took on the first session.

And here is the total of that:

Check out the plant morphology on this clone my friend made!! Damn Yoda is good. This is sheer perfection in a genetic masterpiece. What a hybrid. I’m salivating just from this branch. I have never grown a plant with this perfect of internodal spacing and nodal spacing. It’s spectacular. I’m the only person outside of Oregon and his greenhouses and a couple friends there to ever grow this too! God I hope I don’t screw it up.

So after all that we have a new tent. Mountaintop Mint x M23 is gone. It was going nowhere, and not worth keeping for a 1/2 gallon pot experiment. We did keep the other Skywalker in the 1/2 gallon. She is small but sweet. But I kept the soil pending asking what I can use it for now. It should be ready and perfectly established in there. It’s a half gallon of soil. I ain’t tossing it. I’m learning.

Here are some closeups on the Bubblegum Sherbet (I love this plant! Her formation is super cool and kind of majestic I think), and the just yesterday uppotted Skywalker superstar, who I have a feeling is going big. She’s super cool too. There’s also a shot of the mini Skywalker.

We got a nice little garden here. In terms of feed, they get their next Geo shot on October 1. And we are adding Kelp Me Kelp You once a week as well on Gee’s okay. He’s a big kelp fan, so I got lucky there. I will also continue to water on the Geo with the RGR water on the Geo schedule.

These plants far exceed my usual in quality, color, morphology, and health. I’m blown away. And all the organic guys helping me out, special hat top to Gee but all appreciated and you know who you are: THANK YOU!!!

Here I forgot this one: the seven colas that will make the scrog:

IMG_2299.jpeg

Beautiful garden Jon. I glad you too are learning it shows everyone can learn from someone else. You have done a lot of teaching yourself, I for one have learned a lot from you this year.
That’s too kind @KeithLemon but to my eyes, you’re a very lucky man because my friend, it takes a village. You have a team of the best growers on earth helping you - a team effort. All I did was add when I could. And thanks again but look how quickly you don’t need me anymore!! Your Apple Fritter is about to become the current 420 standard for the strain!!!

I do not know about that but thanks. Jon
For a first “real” grow you have quite simply knocked it not just out of the park, you have belted the ball into San Francisco Bay!

Hey @con, I looked closer at the DG. Another heads up: she is no leafy at all, and produces little in terms of side branching. I haven’t taken a single leaf off her because she has so little to sustain her light catching. It may be wise to take it real easy on defoliating this strain. I suspect you’ll be well served in flower if you keep all her leaves. Two cents that may help you.

Hey @con, I looked closer at the DG. Another heads up: she is no leafy at all, and produces little in terms of side branching. I haven’t taken a single leaf off her because she has so little to sustain her light catching. It may be wise to take it real easy on defoliating this strain. I suspect you’ll be well served in flower if you keep all her leaves. Two cents that may help you.
I would also not top this plant if I could start over. She’s little. This is a small, boutique, quality oriented strain. Not a yielder and from their writing, not bred to be. She won’t get more than 3’ tall if you let her go.

420h Closet
Strawberry Gorilla Auto
Flower

Here’s how flower is progressing with the Strawberry Gorilla. She is widening some as I continue is to kill dominance to flatten the canopy out. If you just keep doing that, you will get wider and wider. And the plant will finish low. But I prefer to have as much stem as possible under the colas from this point and no need to stay low. To counter the flatness you create as a by product of staying flat on the canopy, I start now to loosen the bonds that hold her down. Once they flower for a day or three or four, the stems will quickly start to stiffen. At that point, when I’m sure she’ll hold her shape, I begin letting the colas rise up a little bit at a time. It’s flatten canopy, raise the sticks. Over and over til they are all the way out. Takes like three days or four for me. Daily chore at this point. This auto is getting fed one gallon per day and in coco she needs it by morning. I doubt she’ll ever need more.

We are on week one of Remo flower chart by their book, and since we hit flower I have increased the initial calmag that begins every coco feeding to 6 ml/gallon. No other additives in play. By the book. We have to see if crispy leaves are the Remo thing or what happens by the book.

She flowers at 20/4 and sits at 850 ppfd at canopy. I doubt she even stretches into 1000. But the light level seems to agree with her. So we will see but this may be a lower light strain. Her color is great, and all is copacetic. If it ain’t broke, sometimes don’t fix it!

Here’s the handsome beastie. Note how the interior ring is also taking form around our nice open center.

IMG_2305.jpeg

IMG_2304.jpeg

IMG_2306.jpeg

Remo Observation

Ok. 4 autos by the Remo book. All four exhibited the same thing: they were a bit light coming out of seedling. Needed more N. This is not a function of the nute schedule. There’s only one judgement call - when to start week one of veg. I’m gonna suggest it’s before you have two sets of leaves. As I said, that’s my first Remo by the book observation.

Remo Observation

Ok. 4 autos by the Remo book. All four exhibited the same thing: they were a bit light coming out of seedling. Needed more N. This is not a function of the nute schedule. There’s only one judgement call - when to start week one of veg. I’m gonna suggest it’s before you have two sets of leaves. As I said, that’s my first Remo by the book observation.
Had I begun it earlier, they’d have had better initial color and I would have completed all four flower weeks of the chart, vs the two in the VS tent never getting week four veg mix.

Thanks for the heads up, my DG is doing much better after a few days of drying out & starting to get the new lights dialed in what a difference going from a couple 100 watters to this 480 watter

I would also not top this plant if I could start over. She’s little. This is a small, boutique, quality oriented strain. Not a yielder and from their writing, not bred to be. She won’t get more than 3’ tall if you let her go.
yeah no topping its starting to stretch up so i'm sticking to my original 90 degree LST plan

420h Closet
Strawberry Gorilla Auto
Flower

Here’s how flower is progressing with the Strawberry Gorilla. She is widening some as I continue is to kill dominance to flatten the canopy out. If you just keep doing that, you will get wider and wider. And the plant will finish low. But I prefer to have as much stem as possible under the colas from this point and no need to stay low. To counter the flatness you create as a by product of staying flat on the canopy, I start now to loosen the bonds that hold her down. Once they flower for a day or three or four, the stems will quickly start to stiffen. At that point, when I’m sure she’ll hold her shape, I begin letting the colas rise up a little bit at a time. It’s flatten canopy, raise the sticks. Over and over til they are all the way out. Takes like three days or four for me. Daily chore at this point. This auto is getting fed one gallon per day and in coco she needs it by morning. I doubt she’ll ever need more.

We are on week one of Remo flower chart by their book, and since we hit flower I have increased the initial calmag that begins every coco feeding to 6 ml/gallon. No other additives in play. By the book. We have to see if crispy leaves are the Remo thing or what happens by the book.

She flowers at 20/4 and sits at 850 ppfd at canopy. I doubt she even stretches into 1000. But the light level seems to agree with her. So we will see but this may be a lower light strain. Her color is great, and all is copacetic. If it ain’t broke, sometimes don’t fix it!

Here’s the handsome beastie. Note how the interior ring is also taking form around our nice open center.

IMG_2305.jpeg

IMG_2304.jpeg

IMG_2306.jpeg
Nice flat canopy looks great as usual.

yeah no topping its starting to stretch up so i'm sticking to my original 90 degree LST plan
Betcha that works better than my scrog attempt, lol! Do you agree that this is not the strain to use for a scrog? Even a small one? She may be awesome but she’s too small and too quick to scrog. You were a little ahead of me right? And you are into your stretch too?

Betcha that works better than my scrog attempt, lol! Do you agree that this is not the strain to use for a scrog? Even a small one? She may be awesome but she’s too small and too quick to scrog. You were a little ahead of me right? And you are into your stretch too?
Hey Jon i've never scrog'd before so can't say, it seems to be picking up steam after the roots dried out it has grown taller from yesterday but my other Mephisto the FC x SN roots broke through the bottom of the coco coir pot so its now in the ground & updated my journal

Back
Top Bottom