Jon's Final Florida Journal For Real

It's a pretty cool light as I recall, with settings to simulate cloud cover and sunsets and the like. If you're not going to use it my only request is you pass it along to someone who will. It's a great light for a 2x2 and will grow a great plant in there.

Didn't you do that for the last in-pot scrog you did, or at least intend to? Can't remember if it made it beyond the edge or not now.

My (probably not original) theory on plants is that - under ideal conditions - the maximum number of productive tops is determined by the size of the space for roots. Cola Monster can grow amazing plants in solo cups but I'm not sure even he could fill a scrog with one! A long veg will get you beyond the edge, and a productive harvest will be powered by how much soil there is.
Hey @InTheShed - I agree with that last point wholeheartedly. So my question to you is this: you can see what I’m trying and the actual size of the scrog. It’ll max in a perfect world at 44-48” wide. That’s some surface area, I know, plus if I get the outer colas to extend it a little it’ll be fully laden. Per your theory - I semi considers this and decided a seven as she is in could support it. But I wondered if I should have used a ten. Given the size of the scrog and that it’s a Geo/soil grow, what size pot would you have used? A ten?

Next grow using the 48” hoop for one plant in a 5x5 I was planning to use a 15.

Another one I just hit edit to add here is, if you DO think a bigger pot would have been better, and since I can no longer affect the situation, do you think there’s enough root space to justify trying to add the extra ring of colas?

I wish I knew the answer to that question! I don't, and even if I knew of some way of figuring it out it would depend greatly on the amount of time it takes to grow as big as you want. 10 gallon pots used to be my standard until I could no longer schlep something that heavy when wet, so I'm in 7s now.
I wish I did too! Lol

Hey @InTheShed - I agree with that last point wholeheartedly. So my question to you is this: you can see what I’m trying and the actual size of the scrog. It’ll max in a perfect world at 44-48” wide. That’s some surface area, I know, plus if I get the outer colas to extend it a little it’ll be fully laden. Per your theory - I semi considers this and decided a seven as she is in could support it. But I wondered if I should have used a ten. Given the size of the scrog and that it’s a Geo/soil grow, what size pot would you have used? A ten?

Next grow using the 48” hoop for one plant in a 5x5 I was planning to use a 15.

Another one I just hit edit to add here is, if you DO think a bigger pot would have been better, and since I can no longer affect the situation, do you think there’s enough root space to justify trying to add the extra ring of colas?
Edit/Correction: I was thinking of the larger hoop when I wrote where the width will max. It is a 34” screen that should max 36-38”. Sorry for the error.

Monday Morning Laugh
God knows I need one on Mondays…

Please see these lovely pictures of my stepdad’s E-350 cargo van. First photo is from the street. Second is from the sidewalk. This is what drivers-by and walkers-by see.

The third picture is what they don’t see. Today it’s an uppotting station for the Skywalker. Heh.
IMG_2256.jpeg

Thank god for my 6’8”, 380 pound offensive lineman!!!

I get off on the semi-stealth part. I admit it.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

IMG_2257.jpeg

IMG_2258.jpeg

Uppotting Skywalker

Couple relevant things about this uppotting.

- I did not want to wait a week for the new pot to properly prep and establish a colony, primarily due to her flip timing being tied to the clone’s flip timing. If my FF OF had arrived when promised, I had a damn plan for perfect timing. Oh well.
- Therefore I decided to combine my minimal new found knowledge (thanks @Keffka and @Gee64 and the others who have also helped!) with my slightly less than minimal experience, and instincts I have semi-confidence in, and go ahead and prep as best I thought possible.
- That consisted of the following:

1. 6 gallons of FF OH. I decided to give her a 7.
2. 1 gallon perlite #3, washed and rinsed.
3. 1.25 cups GeoFlora Veg
4. I cup EH high end bokashi
5. 1/2 cup frass at 3-1-1 (as printed on box)
6. Very light one-layer salting of Great White

All of that got mixed thoroughly together and all chunks of anything broken up. Then about 2/3 of it went into the pot. I wanted the presently new and non-colonized medium mix concentrated in the lower 2/3 of the pot, as since it’s unprepped I figured that would max the time it had to colonize before most of the roots from the 1/2 gallon root ball hit it.

I then activated that lower 2/3 with water to which I added 1/2 tsp. RGR/gallon and 2 tsp. of FF Kelp Me Kelp You, which is OMRI rated so I figured would be okay and maybe provide the microbes a richer food source, along with the bokashi and frass.

Then I topped her out with straight FF OH and perlite up top. Same thinking in reverse kind of. I’m guessing that the myco colony in the half gallon rootball will more easily multiply up top if I don’t immediately put it in contact with what I feared may come off to the plant as “too hot” if not properly prepped. That one was instinct. I’m also guessing that the existing colony is big and established enough to sustain her a bit while the rest of the pot preps.

I watered in the top with just plain water for the same reason as I watered the lower part in with the water mix. She already has that stuff up top. I figured plain was the call.

Then the last step was defining my preferred watering hill, which @Bill284 taught me is a great way to maintain watering to the outside. He was correct.

That was it and that’s that. Guess we will find out soon enough how I did. Haven’t felt like I was flying so blindly on an uppotting in a while. Had to actually think about it this time.

Any feedback good or bad you’d like to share, I would absolutely love and appreciate hearing. Thanks guys and perhaps the occasional gal. I’m not exactly date material. We don’t get too many women.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :thanks::thanks::thanks:

Here’s the pics:

IMG_2259.jpeg

IMG_2261.jpeg

IMG_2263.jpeg

IMG_2264.jpeg

Uppotting Skywalker

- I did not want to wait a week for the new pot to properly prep and establish a colony, primarily due to her flip timing being tied to the clone’s flip timing. If my FF OF had arrived when promised, I had a damn plan for perfect timing. Oh well.
- Therefore I decided to combine my minimal new found knowledge (thanks @Keffka and @Gee64 and the others who have also helped!) with my slightly less than minimal experience, and instincts I have semi-confidence in, and go ahead and prep as best I thought possible.

All of that got mixed thoroughly together and all chunks of anything broken up. Then about 2/3 of it went into the pot. I wanted the presently new and non-colonized medium mix concentrated in the lower 2/3 of the pot, as since it’s unprepped I figured that would max the time it had to colonize before most of the roots from the 1/2 gallon root ball hit it.

I then activated that lower 2/3 with water to which I added 1/2 tsp. RGR/gallon and 2 tsp. of FF Kelp Me Kelp You, which is OMRI rated so I figured would be okay and maybe provide the microbes a richer food source, along with the bokashi and frass.

Then I topped her out with straight FF OH and perlite up top. Same thinking in reverse kind of. I’m guessing that the myco colony in the half gallon rootball will more easily multiply up top if I don’t immediately put it in contact with what I feared may come off to the plant as “too hot” if not properly prepped. That one was instinct. I’m also guessing that the existing colony is big and established enough to sustain her a bit while the rest of the pot preps.

I watered in the top with just plain water for the same reason as I watered the lower part in with the water mix. She already has that stuff up top. I figured plain was the call.

Then the last step was defining my preferred watering hill, which @Bill284 taught me is a great way to maintain watering to the outside. He was correct.

That was it and that’s that. Guess we will find out soon enough how I did. Haven’t felt like I was flying so blindly on an uppotting in a while. Had to actually think about it this time.

Any feedback good or bad you’d like to share, I would absolutely love and appreciate hearing. Thanks guys and perhaps the occasional gal. I’m not exactly date material. We don’t get too many women.

Here’s the pics:

IMG_2259.jpeg

IMG_2261.jpeg

IMG_2263.jpeg

IMG_2264.jpeg
You don't have anything to throw on your lap to stay dry & clean?
Your a freeken legend Amigo.
An inspiration for all of us.
:hug::love:

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎
BTW you forgot the moat.;)

You don't have anything to throw on your lap to stay dry & clean?
Your a freeken legend Amigo.
An inspiration for all of us.
:hug::love:

Bill284 😎
BTW you forgot the moat.;)
Sensei, you’re the best. Lol! How you doing my friend? Hope things are on the upswing for you. To answer your question, yeah, sure. But the chair thing even goes this far: what if that slides around while I’m picking up a wet pot that takes all I have? I can’t afford those kinds of accidents and I’ve had plenty. I’ve learned it’s better to simply get down and dirty with your plants. Besides, it’s fun to get dirty and play in the mud!

Sensei, you’re the best. Lol! How you doing my friend? Hope things are on the upswing for you. To answer your question, yeah, sure. But the chair thing even goes this far: what if that slides around while I’m picking up a wet pot that takes all I have? I can’t afford those kinds of accidents and I’ve had plenty. I’ve learned it’s better to simply get down and dirty with your plants. Besides, it’s fun to get dirty and play in the mud!
Still have a roof and a few groceries, I'm not going to complain.
Thought we were on the upswing for a minute but just a speed bump.
If I can get the greenhouse harvested my situation will improve tremendously.
I'm just in a toe to toe with the rot monster.
I'll be gutted if he wins.:rofl:
Keep up the good fight Amigo.
No Surrender. ;)

Bill284 😎

Uppotting Skywalker

Here’s the pics:

IMG_2259.jpeg

IMG_2261.jpeg

IMG_2263.jpeg

IMG_2264.jpeg
I had the same problem when I ordered mine from wally. But when they asked me for a review I told them that the late ⏰ delivery cost me about 1000 dollars worth of cannabis seedlings and they comped me a few bucks. CL🍀

Still have a roof and a few groceries, I'm not going to complain.
Thought we were on the upswing for a minute but just a speed bump.
If I can get the greenhouse harvested my situation will improve tremendously.
I'm just in a toe to toe with the rot monster.
I'll be gutted if he wins.:rofl:
Keep up the good fight Amigo.
No Surrender. ;)

Bill284 😎
I’m sure you considered removing the good ones to arrest potential spread?

I’m sure you considered removing the good ones to arrest potential spread?
The 3 Gelato autos are long gone.
I am trying to prevent current buds from being infected.
I figure there's 40 pounds in there.
Last year it cost me half the crop, 50%.
I am unable to except that level of loss. :rolleyes:
The rot monster is banned from the property.
He just doesn't know it yet.
I'm using the sns you sent me.
Citric acid aswell.
Preventing it is my best defense.
If I loose 20 pounds of pot ill be gutted, be hard to recover.

Bill284 😎

The 3 Gelato autos are long gone.
I am trying to prevent current buds from being infected.
I figure there's 40 pounds in there.
Last year it cost me half the crop, 50%.
I am unable to except that level of loss. :rolleyes:
The rot monster is banned from the property.
He just doesn't know it yet.
I'm using the sns you sent me.
Citric acid aswell.
Preventing it is my best defense.
If I loose 20 pounds of pot ill be gutted, be hard to recover.

Bill284 😎
You let me know if I may have some infrastructure that would help you. I have lots of shit. Send me a DM.

You let me know if I may have some infrastructure that would help you. I have lots of shit. Send me a DM.
I’d be willing to gift you one of my brand new and unopened 5x5s (not the GGT, sorry, lol) if that would give you a needed venue for plants inside that you may need? @Bill284 you know I’m serious. Please do not hesitate to ask.

I’d be willing to gift you one of my brand new and unopened 5x5s (not the GGT, sorry, lol) if that would give you a needed venue for plants inside that you may need? @Bill284 you know I’m serious. Please do not hesitate to ask.
Thanks Jon.
I have the vivohut set up and ready to go, not a problem.
I just need to keep rot at bay.
I have a Makita sprayer working overtime.
2 Dehumidifiers ready.
12 or 13 fans going.
Got everything required, just need to get to the finish line
:thanks:

#VIVOSUN #Love What You
Bil😎

Kill Bill. Once and for all.

No quarter given!

❤️
I agree. Tell that jerk to figure his own shit out.

:rofl:

For those of you who may be unfamiliar, and yes @Bill284, I’m going to publicly laud you -

This guy has helped more growers here than I am aware exist. Since I have known him, that has been the case despite a devastating fire that almost wiped him out (well documented). It has been the case despite that he is currently in danger of losing so much harvest that it again has a significant impact on his life in a negative way. The guy has been hanging on despite circumstances that far exceed what anyone would find emergency. And yet he NEVER stops trying to assist new and established growers. He NEVER stops going out of his way to seek out actively those who may need help. You will not find a more altruistic human being because they do not exist. There is not one thing in the world I would not do for this person if I could, he knows that, and I suspect I am far from the only person to feel this way. I call him Sensei for many reasons, not just because he’s a badass grower who has taught me and many others TONS.

Bill, whether he will admit it or not, could use a hand. He ain’t that great at asking for help.

I :green_heart: you man. You better take me up on something. Lmao!

A Thought on Uppotting…

I have always said, and now will say again, that if it is done properly, there IS no recovery time for the plant after uppotting. No shock. She simply picks immediately back up where she was and begins to enjoy her new condo.

Here’s my latest proof. This is an hour past when she went back in all droopy as hell and just that moment uppotted. One hour. You tell me if she looks shocked.

IMG_2266.jpeg

Wow Jon you got a lot going on! First I gotta say that your scrog-to-be lady is a gorgeous plant. Beautiful structure.

As for your experiment I say run it but only if you have a way to feed that much plant all the way through to the end. The more foliage the more food needed.

A 7 gallon pot won't be enough in my opinion unless you can feed it.

If you want an example of success I can give you this.... I built a 2200 gallon pot outside in my yard with excellent orientation for sun coverage. I filled it with my own LOS and planted a hybrid I made of a very chunky stinky colorful Rose Kush Indica crossed with a very branchy Cinderella 99 male that was of perfect Christmas tree structure, very similar to the Roses perfect Christmas tree structure but Rosie was more of a fat bottomed girl.

I topped the plant above node 4 and removed node 1, leaving 6 branches. I then scrogged her out with the bottom of 2 nets at 6.5 ft off the ground and net #2 at 7.5 feet above the ground. The final plant was 9 feet wide by 9 feet wide and 9 feet tall. You could walk underneath with only 6 boughs to look put for. So it was a 9 x 9 canopy but only 18 inches thick. A scroglipop.

At the outer edges I let branches grow around the 8 x 8 scrog net. I ended up with 29 tops above the nets and everything below lollipopped out.

I had about 10 pounds of foliage stripped that my worm farm ate over the winter. The final tally was 3 pounds 5 grams of only grade A bud. All lesser bud was removed as it got lost under the canopy. Zero larf.

I tell you all this so you know what was up top because underneath the soil the roots filled the entire planter. The trunk was as big as one of your legs is around in the picture, no BS.

So it took 2200 gallons of high grade soil fully mineralized as per Rev's recipe to grow a 3lb scrog with water only. Could I have done it in a smaller pot? likely but you now get the idea of what is required to go bigger.

I highly endorse that you try your experiment but the only way I can see getting a plant that big in a pot that small is with synthetics or tons of teas so be ready for that and pay it forwards to the pot. Don't let it become deficient or you won't be able to catch up and you will lose all your leaves by the time stretch is over.

It will need a liquid feeding every watering, whether organic or synthetic.

As for the discussion on UV and IR, I actually just bought a UV/IR bar and did a fair bit of research prior to buying it. Oddly enough there isn't a lot of info out there unless you get into very scientific stuff but I perservered and this was my conclusions...

As Mel said, UV is what gives you sunburn and trichomes are the plants sunscreen.

Thats pretty straight foreward stuff but you can easily give the plant too much UV and sunburn it before it has enough trichomes to sunscreen itself so it works best to use it at the high noon part of your light cycle and only once frost has naturally started or else there is no sunscreen.

Start it out at 15 minutes and as frost thickens, slowly increase it in both directions from noon until right before harvest you are using the UV for maximum 2 hours. Just like starting on your tan in the spring to be a bronze god by late summer. You can't just run out into 100 degrees for 8 hours in a speedo without detriment, you need to start out slowly.

UV also breaks things down and more will degrade your trichomes, then burn your plant. You can only expose a plant to a certain amount over its entire life before damage outweighs profit.

IR is more interesting. My take was that its more of an indica thing. At least thats where I see its biggest benefit, but I haven't tried it, my knowledge is purely theory and could be totally wrong.

When a plant is exposed to IR it doesn't get any photosynthetic value from it but it still feels its warmth, much like sitting in the shade on a hot day.

It actually invokes what is termed as a "shade response" from the plant, so the plant, thinking its in the shade, grows taller searching for the light it can sense and feel is there, but not directly to power photosynthesis.

It makes plants taller thus increasing mass that will eventually hold trichomes. More plant equals more trichome space. Then once its big you switch to UV and build the trichomes. It also invokes lankiness.

So I went with a bar that has both but can be independantly toggled on or off.

OK break time, my thumb is sore🤣

Oh and yes, if you dust your entire rootball in myco at uppotting it will do better than not. I have done many side-by-sides with clones. It is better every time in organics regardless of strain. Myco is expensive because it works.

A Thought on Uppotting…

I have always said, and now will say again, that if it is done properly, there IS no recovery time for the plant after uppotting. No shock. She simply picks immediately back up where she was and begins to enjoy her new condo.

Here’s my latest proof. This is an hour past when she went back in all droopy as hell and just that moment uppotted. One hour. You tell me if she looks shocked.

IMG_2266.jpeg
I see this too. You just have to be gentle. Taking 15 extra minute uppotting saves a week of recovery.

Back
Top Bottom