Jon's Final Florida Journal For Real

Blackberry Moonrocks Auto

Ok, we’ll see if this one wants to actually grow!

IMG_2143.jpeg

Strawberry Gorilla

Topped this girl today. Nice to have the lower node branches already be at the same level as the topping. I’m not trying for anything Sombrero here. I want maybe 8-12 colas that are all big and tall, and approximately the same height. In a perfect world. Not sure you can see in the picture but there’s basically already six at what would be “canopy level.” I’m gonna see how the remaining lower node branches do before deciding next step.

IMG_2144.jpeg

IMG_2145.jpeg

Hi @Keffka - hey man I have an odd question and thought I’d put it here since maybe someone has some interest.

Ask away with any questions any time! The odder, the better, makes me have to think outside the box.

So I’m wondering - I want the size of coco but the taste of organics. What would happen to a plant if I were to veg her in coco in say a 2-gallon pot, then uppot at the flip (or near) into a prepped pot of soil with myco? Would that work? Would the plant make the transition? And would that in the least help get to the stated goal? Most of the size is accomplished in veg. If the plant would transition from chem to organics, might this be worth a try?

Yes and no. You would be able to do it, technically, if you were using an organic nutrient system like Geoflora, or a bottled line of organic nutrients. You would notice a bit of a difference in terms of taste and quality but it wouldn’t be what you would get from going organic from the start.

There’s quite a few reasons for this and it also depends on how organic you’re growing.

There’s soup-style organic. That’s where you’re using bottled organic nutrients that are delivered with organic acids, or a variety of organic nutrients meant to directly feed the plant, cobbled together. In this method you’re still feeding the plant directly like you do with synthetics. This is only marginally better than synthetic growing.

There’s organicish where you use something like Geoflora. With Geoflora you’re feeding the soil and supplying the microbes. This is similar to true organic in that you’re feeding the soil and the plant feeds itself from the soil. You’re also supplying the microbes with the Geoflora. In this method you’re closer to true organic and will notice a pretty big difference in quality and taste compared to synthetic.

Then there’s organic. That’s where you’re using organic inputs as well as minerals to create a mineralized soil with a ton of microbial life. With this method you’re supplying the organic matter and the minerals, the microbes will spawn as you “cook” the soil. In this method you will get all the benefits, quality and taste of organicish, however, you will be able to fine tune your soil for different strains. With this fine tuning you will be able to push your plants to their absolute max genetic potential, giving you amazing tastes, smells, and highs that are not comparable to anything else. After reusing soil like this you will begin to grow faster, higher quality and achieve greater yields.

With organicish and organic (GF and mineralized soil) your plant links up with the microbes in your soil. They communicate and the plant tells the microbes what it wants to eat and when. In these methods the plant has full control over its diet and is provided a buffet to choose from.

Now that I’ve covered that let’s touch on how cannabis grows a bit

When cannabis is in Veg, she’s preparing for flower. She begins accumulating nutrients like P and K for flower. She does this in bursts. She takes a bit right after her seedling phase then takes another burst right before flower phase. She stores these nutrients along the way for flower. That’s why a lot of growers run into P issues right before they flip to flower. She didn’t get enough of it and she’s trying to take it from the leaves. On top of this the plant also likes a slow Steady drip of P.

P takes a long time to both breakdown and accumulate. If a plant and the microbes had to do this on its own, it would take much longer than the life of the plant. P is bound in the soil very tightly and it takes something specialized in breaking those bonds to really get it moving (that something special is myco. It’s the number one way to break P bonds and will provide a plant up to 50% of its P on its own). This is why farmers pour tons of P on to their fields but the plant only uses 20% of what’s poured on, the rest washes away into our streams and oceans. I have an image I’ll look for that shows the Gulf of Mexico almost entirely red along the coast where P has leeched out of fields and is killing life in the gulf every year.

So because P accumulates the way it does, and it takes effort to break it down, this is a process you want to have started from the beginning. The presence of available P scares off myco. Almost every liquid nutrient comes with available P. So in order to accomplish P while keeping myco, you need to have forms of P that aren’t highly available but can be broken down fairly quickly by myco.

Myco takes 2 weeks to establish a connection with the plant. You can initiate this connection as soon as a tap root comes out. However the moment you give available P that connection breaks. So between needing 2 weeks to get myco up and needing to avoid available P period, you’re looking at wanting to initiate myco as soon as possible.

Myco is also like a conductor in an organic grow. It links up with the plant and the plant tells it what it wants and when. The myco then can organize the microbes in the container, and tell them what they need to be working on for now, and for down the line. Without it, you will see lower yields, less quality, and a plant that seems to struggle even with tons of nutrients and organic matter in the container. This is why a lot of people who try organic still struggle to achieve high quality high yields, the myco isn’t connected and working.

There are more elements involved in all of this and the myco can get more complex than this but this is a basic telling of it. There are more details but this is an overwhelming amount of info already lol.

So between the P accumulation of plants and the need to get myco established and working efficiently, you’re going to want to start organically from the beginning. This gives the plant everything it wants and allows it to accumulate as much P as it wants for flower. You could technically get away with switching over to organic for flower but you’ll be waiting for myco to link up and you’ll still be in a position of needing to feed the plant while you wait, or giving the soil so much organic matter that it throws things off balance.

If you’ve got time and space to experiment you could give it a shot but it seems to me it wouldn’t make enough of a difference to justify switching.

Ask away with any questions any time! The odder, the better, makes me have to think outside the box.

Yes and no. You would be able to do it, technically, if you were using an organic nutrient system like Geoflora, or a bottled line of organic nutrients. You would notice a bit of a difference in terms of taste and quality but it wouldn’t be what you would get from going organic from the start.

There’s quite a few reasons for this and it also depends on how organic you’re growing.

There’s soup-style organic. That’s where you’re using bottled organic nutrients that are delivered with organic acids, or a variety of organic nutrients meant to directly feed the plant, cobbled together. In this method you’re still feeding the plant directly like you do with synthetics. This is only marginally better than synthetic growing.

There’s organicish where you use something like Geoflora. With Geoflora you’re feeding the soil and supplying the microbes. This is similar to true organic in that you’re feeding the soil and the plant feeds itself from the soil. You’re also supplying the microbes with the Geoflora. In this method you’re closer to true organic and will notice a pretty big difference in quality and taste compared to synthetic.

Then there’s organic. That’s where you’re using organic inputs as well as minerals to create a mineralized soil with a ton of microbial life. With this method you’re supplying the organic matter and the minerals, the microbes will spawn as you “cook” the soil. In this method you will get all the benefits, quality and taste of organicish, however, you will be able to fine tune your soil for different strains. With this fine tuning you will be able to push your plants to their absolute max genetic potential, giving you amazing tastes, smells, and highs that are not comparable to anything else. After reusing soil like this you will begin to grow faster, higher quality and achieve greater yields.

With organicish and organic (GF and mineralized soil) your plant links up with the microbes in your soil. They communicate and the plant tells the microbes what it wants to eat and when. In these methods the plant has full control over its diet and is provided a buffet to choose from.

Now that I’ve covered that let’s touch on how cannabis grows a bit

When cannabis is in Veg, she’s preparing for flower. She begins accumulating nutrients like P and K for flower. She does this in bursts. She takes a bit right after her seedling phase then takes another burst right before flower phase. She stores these nutrients along the way for flower. That’s why a lot of growers run into P issues right before they flip to flower. She didn’t get enough of it and she’s trying to take it from the leaves. On top of this the plant also likes a slow Steady drip of P.

P takes a long time to both breakdown and accumulate. If a plant and the microbes had to do this on its own, it would take much longer than the life of the plant. P is bound in the soil very tightly and it takes something specialized in breaking those bonds to really get it moving (that something special is myco. It’s the number one way to break P bonds and will provide a plant up to 50% of its P on its own). This is why farmers pour tons of P on to their fields but the plant only uses 20% of what’s poured on, the rest washes away into our streams and oceans. I have an image I’ll look for that shows the Gulf of Mexico almost entirely red along the coast where P has leeched out of fields and is killing life in the gulf every year.

So because P accumulates the way it does, and it takes effort to break it down, this is a process you want to have started from the beginning. The presence of available P scares off myco. Almost every liquid nutrient comes with available P. So in order to accomplish P while keeping myco, you need to have forms of P that aren’t highly available but can be broken down fairly quickly by myco.

Myco takes 2 weeks to establish a connection with the plant. You can initiate this connection as soon as a tap root comes out. However the moment you give available P that connection breaks. So between needing 2 weeks to get myco up and needing to avoid available P period, you’re looking at wanting to initiate myco as soon as possible.

Myco is also like a conductor in an organic grow. It links up with the plant and the plant tells it what it wants and when. The myco then can organize the microbes in the container, and tell them what they need to be working on for now, and for down the line. Without it, you will see lower yields, less quality, and a plant that seems to struggle even with tons of nutrients and organic matter in the container. This is why a lot of people who try organic still struggle to achieve high quality high yields, the myco isn’t connected and working.

There are more elements involved in all of this and the myco can get more complex than this but this is a basic telling of it. There are more details but this is an overwhelming amount of info already lol.

So between the P accumulation of plants and the need to get myco established and working efficiently, you’re going to want to start organically from the beginning. This gives the plant everything it wants and allows it to accumulate as much P as it wants for flower. You could technically get away with switching over to organic for flower but you’ll be waiting for myco to link up and you’ll still be in a position of needing to feed the plant while you wait, or giving the soil so much organic matter that it throws things off balance.

If you’ve got time and space to experiment you could give it a shot but it seems to me it wouldn’t make enough of a difference to justify switching.
@Keffka, I’m in awe of the thoroughness of your answers. Thanks so much, while
I’m sure this is nothing you had to look up, it took a lot of time to present in language I can grasp at this time. I’m sure others anre impressed as well. And I’ll make it the breakdown real easy and maybe you could tell me if I get it.

Stop trying to have my cake and eat it too.

That about the size of it?

I’m sure this is nothing you had to look up, it took a lot of time to present in language I can grasp at this time. I’m sure others anre impressed as well. And I’ll make it the breakdown real easy and maybe you could tell me if I get it.

Or - I wonder if you’re going to tell me this goes as far as to TRULY get the most out of organics or semi organics, you gotta grow outdoors and use the actual sun? I hope not. I need to be able to do organic under LED. Lol. Ever done a same strain test, one indoors one out, and compared taste at the end? In your thing, science can never beat what millions of years of evolution has provided, and sure. But by the same token, LED companies will NEVER accurately recreate the sun either. So?

Thanks @Jon ! It’s lots and lots of hours spent reading books, articles, journals, growing, and asking boat loads of questions from growers above my skill level like @Gee64 constantly.

I consume information voraciously if it interests me, and I want to know every possible thing I can. It’s a side effect of being autistic and having ADHD. If I’m really fascinated I will give up showers and forget to eat while I chase down information and test it. My wife is real pleased with this 😂

On the negative side of it, it has to interest and challenge me or I will become bored and not even bother. It made school a real pain in the butt. The only time I excelled was when I was put in a class, given a packet with the semesters work and information, and left by myself to do it all. I finished in 2 weeks and got an A. That and tests were my strengths. It drove my parents and teachers nuts 😂

Basically lol. If you really want the organic benefits you’re gonna want to start from the beginning. With the way the plant uses and accumulates its nutrients, you want it to have full access from the beginning. This way it not only decides what it wants, when, but your microbes and myco will have had plenty of time to establish and get everything moving.

Another aspect is how the plant behaves. It needs to produce exudates for the microbes and myco to get them to do their job. A plant can use as much as 30% of its resources to do this, but it will only do this if it knows it has microbes and myco to feed. Otherwise, it won’t waste its time or energy. If you go with a synthetic veg, you’ve gotta get the myco connected (since cannabis likes Endomycorrhizae it needs live roots to colonize so you can’t even prepare it ahead of time) and make the plant realize it has to start producing exudates for the microbes, this is another time consuming process.

Or - I wonder if you’re going to tell me this goes as far as to TRULY get the most out of organics or semi organics, you gotta grow outdoors and use the actual sun? I hope not. I need to be able to do organic under LED. Lol. Ever done a same strain test, one indoors one out, and compared taste at the end? In your thing, science can never beat what millions of years of evolution has provided, and sure. But by the same token, LED companies will NEVER accurately recreate the sun either. So?

No, you do not need sunlight to produce the highest quality organic cannabis. Perhaps back in the day this may have been true but nowadays, LEDs are tuned well enough to do the job. Growing indoors allows you to give your plants the absolute perfect environment at all times and this is a massive benefit for the plant. Plants also do not need to expend extra resources for defenses they would need outside.

I have tried indoors vs outdoors on the same strain clones. The indoor clone had brighter smells and tastes than the outdoor plant, with a noticeably cleaner high. Outdoor had the edge on yield however. Although I attribute this to the fact that the plant broke through the container and rooted in the ground, so I can’t even for certain say it was the light difference that gave a greater yield.

Thanks @Jon ! It’s lots and lots of hours spent reading books, articles, journals, growing, and asking boat loads of questions from growers above my skill level like @Gee64 constantly.

I consume information voraciously if it interests me, and I want to know every possible thing I can. It’s a side effect of being autistic and having ADHD. If I’m really fascinated I will give up showers and forget to eat while I chase down information and test it. My wife is real pleased with this 😂

On the negative side of it, it has to interest and challenge me or I will become bored and not even bother. It made school a real pain in the butt. The only time I excelled was when I was put in a class, given a packet with the semesters work and information, and left by myself to do it all. I finished in 2 weeks and got an A. That and tests were my strengths. It drove my parents and teachers nuts 😂

Basically lol. If you really want the organic benefits you’re gonna want to start from the beginning. With the way the plant uses and accumulates its nutrients, you want it to have full access from the beginning. This way it not only decides what it wants, when, but your microbes and myco will have had plenty of time to establish and get everything moving.

Another aspect is how the plant behaves. It needs to produce exudates for the microbes and myco to get them to do their job. A plant can use as much as 30% of its resources to do this, but it will only do this if it knows it has microbes and myco to feed. Otherwise, it won’t waste its time or energy. If you go with a synthetic veg, you’ve gotta get the myco connected (since cannabis likes Endomycorrhizae it needs live roots to colonize so you can’t even prepare it ahead of time) and make the plant realize it has to start producing exudates for the microbes, this is another time consuming process.

No, you do not need sunlight to produce the highest quality organic cannabis. Perhaps back in the day this may have been true but nowadays, LEDs are tuned well enough to do the job. Growing indoors allows you to give your plants the absolute perfect environment at all times and this is a massive benefit for the plant. Plants also do not need to expend extra resources for defenses they would need outside.

I have tried indoors vs outdoors on the same strain clones. The indoor clone had brighter smells and tastes than the outdoor plant, with a noticeably cleaner high. Outdoor had the edge on yield however. Although I attribute this to the fact that the plant broke through the container and rooted in the ground, so I can’t even for certain say it was the light difference that gave a greater yield.
Thank you again. And thanks especially for the personal glimpse. We appreciate those here. Well, I do indoor mostly cuz I’m in a chair. So I’ll have to come up with some way to mix and store soil that I can handle. Small batches I suppose. So I suppose you reuse the soil and amend it? If so, how many runs can you get from one batch of say 4 7s worth of soil? (or pick a smallish volume) Three or four or a million? This is a challenging plunge and not nearly as easy as you make it sound by ten miles. You know this, right? 🤣

The indoor clone had brighter smells and tastes than the outdoor plant, with a noticeably cleaner high.
How do you account for this? This strikes me as exactly the opposite of what I’d expect. I would assume the sun wins all battles, yield, taste, terps, all of it. You’re saying the exact opposite, except for yield, which is to be expected. When we both know that despite your nice LED words, the reality is it isn’t even close and never will be. So why on earth do you think LEDs would provide a better end product? (I don’t mean I don’t think your perception is accurate, I mean for real, do you have a theory on this?)

Bubblegum Sherbet
Veg

I am loving the ease of my semi (I now know, thanks @Keffka) organic grow. Been a while. Forgot how easy it is. The Geo and the RGR are doing all the work. All I’ve done is top dress the Geo on a 13 day cycle and water it in each time with RGR. They are so goddamn happy it makes me sing. Yesterday was a feeding day, so the next time will be October 1. The green is different with myco than it is with chem nutes. Deeper. More “real.” And the tent smells so deliciously earthy - I can’t even smell the Pink Rozay from the end of the other grow anymore. Anyway, here’s our Bubblegum Sherbet loving life.

IMG_2159.jpeg

(2) Skywalker
Mountaintop Mint x M34

The two Skywalkers are together, one clearly ahead, the other a bit of a runt, but quite happy. And the strain I know the least about, the MM x M34, seems happy too. If they’re happy I’m happy. Just can’t wait to see what a half gallon pot produces.

IMG_2165.jpeg

Sour Lifesaver Clone

She’s about to get busy. When she’s done coming up she’ll have three colas at the screen. Damn, the ease of soil is nice, but damn, the slowness sucks.

IMG_2166.jpeg

@ViparSpectra Tent
Double Grape
Cherry Pie

I’ve decided to top both these girls above node four and set the screen right there. I’ll raise the smaller plant as required to hit the screen at the same time as the larger one. The bigger Cherry Pie looks as if she’s about to change gears. I suspect this will not end up 50/50 in the screen. The CP wins big on rate of growth compared to the Double Grape. Both plants are pushing out their fourth node now.

IMG_2167.jpeg

420h Closet
Strawberry Gorilla
Blackberry Moonrocks

Today I turned the light up to 100%. That puts the SG at 650 ppfd and the seedling at 600. Funny, I used to shake at the thought of a seedling at 600 ppfd. Lmao. Now I know better.
Meanwhile, the SG is forming a full canopy all by herself. The internodal spacing on her is very sweet, so I already have the four interior colas off the top two branches from their first new growth below their tops. I have enough colas on this plant. It’s a bit of a less is more experiment. I’m done training her. From where she is right now I’ll have a ten cola plant. All ten are up top at the same level. And from now to harvest growing upwards, they should get pretty big. I’m going to go as far as to chop anything that comes except those ten colas. Keep all the extraneous growth and side branching and take it out of play (unless she goes total apeshit in the stretch as occasionally some do, witness the Apple Fritter and the Pink Rozay from the other grow). Both were good plants, then the stretch came, and both became superstars. It’s something to hope for, lol.

IMG_2168.jpeg

IMG_2169.jpeg

IMG_2170.jpeg

How do you account for this? This strikes me as exactly the opposite of what I’d expect. I would assume the sun wins all battles, yield, taste, terps, all of it. You’re saying the exact opposite, except for yield, which is to be expected. When we both know that despite your nice LED words, the reality is it isn’t even close and never will be. So why on earth do you think LEDs would provide a better end product? (I don’t mean I don’t think your perception is accurate, I mean for real, do you have a theory on this?)

I’m getting ready for work currently but wanted to address this real quick since I actually was thinking about expanding on it a bit originally. I’ll get to the other stuff this afternoon. I too assumed the sun would be the ultimate light with no comparison, especially for organics.
However I was listening to Bugbee (Dr Bruce Bugbee of Apogee) one day and he said something that made it click. When it comes to light for plant growth quantity > quality. I heard him say this in a podcast and will have to hunt it down for others. While I’m not one to stick to his DLI recommendations, his knowledge on light and plant growth is top notch.

Basically the gist is, as long as your plant receives the appropriate amount of photosynthetic light then that’s all it really needs. That’s why even blurple lights were able to pull off impressive grows. I believe the reason we see LEDs produce high quality organic cannabis is because we give the plant the quantity of light it needs with no interruption. Outdoors you have overcast days, times of shade, rainy days, wildfire smoke, the sun varies in intensity, etc. It’s pretty rare that the sun reaches plants unimpeded all day every day. When we’re indoors there are none of these issues. The same amount of light hits our plants consistently. This allows our plants to focus on taking that light and using it without ever needing to prepare or adjust for differences in sun light.

Unless you’re near the equator and have consistent sunny days for months on end, the quantity of light hitting plants outdoors varies on an almost daily basis. Indoors there is none of that.

Now, that’s the lighting aspect of it. When I get home I’ll expand on stuff like soil makeup which can have an impact on plant quality as well. Your average backyard grower isn’t going to have a cannabis friendly, fertile soil, which is gonna make the plant have to search out sources of things like sulfur.

I’ll also go back and answer your previous questions about reusing soil, breaking it down into manageable amounts for your situation, etc. We’ll get it figured out and get you squared away.

420h Closet
Strawberry Gorilla
Blackberry Moonrocks

Today I turned the light up to 100%. That puts the SG at 650 ppfd and the seedling at 600. Funny, I used to shake at the thought of a seedling at 600 ppfd. Lmao. Now I know better.
Meanwhile, the SG is forming a full canopy all by herself. The internodal spacing on her is very sweet, so I already have the four interior colas off the top two branches from their first new growth below their tops. I have enough colas on this plant. It’s a bit of a less is more experiment. I’m done training her. From where she is right now I’ll have a ten cola plant. All ten are up top at the same level. And from now to harvest growing upwards, they should get pretty big. I’m going to go as far as to chop anything that comes except those ten colas. Keep all the extraneous growth and side branching and take it out of play (unless she goes total apeshit in the stretch as occasionally some do, witness the Apple Fritter and the Pink Rozay from the other grow). Both were good plants, then the stretch came, and both became superstars. It’s something to hope for, lol.

IMG_2168.jpeg

IMG_2169.jpeg

IMG_2170.jpeg
I have good times with around 600 as well Jon. Gets nodes nice and close!

I’m getting ready for work currently but wanted to address this real quick since I actually was thinking about expanding on it a bit originally. I’ll get to the other stuff this afternoon. I too assumed the sun would be the ultimate light with no comparison, especially for organics.
However I was listening to Bugbee (Dr Bruce Bugbee of Apogee) one day and he said something that made it click. When it comes to light for plant growth quantity > quality. I heard him say this in a podcast and will have to hunt it down for others. While I’m not one to stick to his DLI recommendations, his knowledge on light and plant growth is top notch.

Basically the gist is, as long as your plant receives the appropriate amount of photosynthetic light then that’s all it really needs. That’s why even blurple lights were able to pull off impressive grows. I believe the reason we see LEDs produce high quality organic cannabis is because we give the plant the quantity of light it needs with no interruption. Outdoors you have overcast days, times of shade, rainy days, wildfire smoke, the sun varies in intensity, etc. It’s pretty rare that the sun reaches plants unimpeded all day every day. When we’re indoors there are none of these issues. The same amount of light hits our plants consistently. This allows our plants to focus on taking that light and using it without ever needing to prepare or adjust for differences in sun light.

Unless you’re near the equator and have consistent sunny days for months on end, the quantity of light hitting plants outdoors varies on an almost daily basis. Indoors there is none of that.

Now, that’s the lighting aspect of it. When I get home I’ll expand on stuff like soil makeup which can have an impact on plant quality as well. Your average backyard grower isn’t going to have a cannabis friendly, fertile soil, which is gonna make the plant have to search out sources of things like sulfur.

I’ll also go back and answer your previous questions about reusing soil, breaking it down into manageable amounts for your situation, etc. We’ll get it figured out and get you squared away.
Thanks @Keffka, greatly appreciate your help. That’s the first explanation I’ve ever heard to my question that makes sense to me. I’m in Florida fgs, I have tons of sun every day forever. Never below 50 or above 100, usually more like low 90s. Natural RH is maybe 60% on average. That’s about a sweet scenario. Yet still the LEDs beat it. So interesting. And makes so complete sense it’s insane, almost an “of course!!!” thing. Thanks! I bet more folks than me wondered about that.

Thanks @Keffka, greatly appreciate your help. That’s the first explanation I’ve ever heard to my question that makes sense to me. I’m in Florida fgs, I have tons of sun every day forever. Never below 50 or above 100, usually more like low 90s. Natural RH is maybe 60% on average. That’s about a sweet scenario. Yet still the LEDs beat it. So interesting. And makes so complete sense it’s insane, almost an “of course!!!” thing. Thanks! I bet more folks than me wondered about that.
Interesting.
I read something, I think it was a Seedsman blog, about a company testing whether indoor or outdoor grown weed was stronger.
They took large batches of clones and split them between indoor and outdoor.
If I remember correctly outdoors tested higher in terpenes and cannabinoids across the board.
The main question for me is where are they located. The differences in climate between Florida, California, and the Great Lakes region would probably have a huge impact. I'll see if I can dig the blog post up.

Well, I found it, but it's from a non-sponsor site.
I posted a copy/paste in my off topic thread to avoid cluttering up your journal.
I appreciate that MH! I think we’re allowed to post these now as long as we don’t overdo it. Least that’s how I interpreted the email. Anyway, thanks but you can clutter at will. I know you enough to know you aren’t going to waste anyone’s time or be inappropriate.

Back
Top Bottom