Jon's Final Florida Journal For Real

Yeah I know but mine is the E series, the FC E6500. Check the specs.
Yep will do. I have two FCE4800’s No complaints the output - 850 PPFD to the near edge on 75% at the moment! Just the cable management and adjustable bars make it a bit untidy and harder to balance than the FC series.

I think a finger dab to eat the 220 micron kief has ruined me 🤣 on to the 120 and 73 next!

Got 50g all told using dry ice. 🫠

1703087030223.png

This was from their website in April. But they used to use Meanwell drivers, back maybe June 2022 they changed to their own brand - but actually manufactured by LG. They may have bumped it from 650w to 730w then. Its on the driver label, with Mars and LG logos on. I think its a clue to why my other light guys have it in for them. They won't tell me who they manufacture for. NDA's but do I try, I offered to take the big boss lady out for dinner once 😆 She's loaded, think the owners daughter and my age, All the Chinese money in the world wouldn't save her from & Co she dallied with me! She said she'd love to have dinner with me, I could pay but she'd pay for the wine and she still wouldn't tell me who they make for!

Its pure speculation but I wonder if they were manufacturing for Elon's Home. White label is their main business.

Nick

Skywalker

Running out of creative ways to show you this stupid plant. This is kind of funny though. There’s one small branch I simply can’t get to stand up. Super smooth stem. She’s grown right there as you see since she got heavy. She’s a nice couple grams, dense, definitely worthy.

IMG_3869.jpeg

IMG_3871.jpeg

I’ll be curious to hear how others more educated than me might view these numbers.
Looks like it's just gonna be you and me kiddo!
then everyone would always screw their plants up and nobody would buy synthetic nutes.
If you go back years (at least since I've been here 6+ years) the advice for AN nutes has been to cut the recommended numbers by 50% if you don't want to burn your plants. I never ran their numbers though.
With that as my base of assertions, I believe at this point that when one tries a new nute system for the first run, the most important thing to do is to run the system by the book and as written. How else would you ever get a baseline, so as to adjust for the next run?
As I've always said, that's a good way to know if the numbers work. But having done that with Remo and seeing what their K recommendations can do to your leaves, why do it again with a different brand using the exact same salts?
One can run numbers all day and that’s great, but the real bottom line can be found more directly and more accurately simply by observation.
Quite true, but the observations you make when running one set of nutes shouldn't get erased from your mind when running the same product with a different label. I don't care what the name on the bottle is, the effect on the plants will be the same.

Don't believe me? Pull out all your synthetic nute bottles and compare the ingredients (other than PB). MC, AN, Psycho, Remo, GH, FF, Plagron, et al. on the labels. They're all some variations on the same nitrates/sulphates/phosphates etc.

That said, have at it!
a discussion with Emilya from many moons ago where she basically said, Jon, I have a masters degree in botany
Never heard that one before. What she has stated when talking up her own qualifications is this:
Just for the record, I have multiple degrees in several areas of study. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Electronics Engineering, with a minor in Physics. I have a Master's Degree in Business Administration with a minor in Computer Science and then at 35 I was awarded a Doctorate for my Graduate Studies in Economics,
FWIW

If you go back years (at least since I've been here 6+ years) the advice for AN nutes has been to cut the recommended numbers by 50% if you don't want to burn your plants. I never ran their numbers though.

As I've always said, that's a good way to know if the numbers work. But having done that with Remo and seeing what their K recommendations can do to your leaves, why do it again with a different brand using the exact same salts?

Quite true, but the observations you make when running one set of nutes shouldn't get erased from your mind when running the same product with a different label. I don't care what the name on the bottle is, the effect on the plants will be the same.

Don't believe me? Pull out all your synthetic nute bottles and compare the ingredients (other than PB). MC, AN, Psycho, Remo, GH, FF, Plagron, et al. on the labels. They're all some variations on the same nitrates/sulphates/phosphates etc.

That said, have at it!

Never heard that one before. What she has stated when talking up her own qualifications is this:

FWIW
Hmm…

That said, have at it!

FWIW
Shed we talked about my nutes and various witchcraft you have - I never understood how you could do any calculations on mine, DP, as they don't publish any NPK.

Unless you have it?

But while looking for an image of DP I think I found some old charts with breakdowns. Maybe 7/8 years old based on the graphics and logo change.

Reckon that would work were you to be interested in helping running the numbers.

I looked for another member for my nutes on Amazon and was shocked it wasn't available. Some bottles have “Made in the U.S.A” on them despite being a Dutch company.

I use them because only ones in liquid form can get in 20L/6 Gallon Jerry cans locally but also my farmer mate used them first time and said not as good as his favourite stuff in Straya but second best. Intrestingly his last grow he skipped the Veg nutes. Went Bloom, seedling to finish. Reckoned better all the way through. But he cal mags to fuck so at 4-0-0 with Fe probably helps.

I’m blitzed ignore the above if it makes no sense!

😂

While I won't completely ignore it, I do suggest taking the discussion to one of your 7 current threads rather than here. Post what you have there and we can carry on after that. :)
Yep for sure on that, specific thing.

To go back to something Jon referenced earlier today:

I feel the nute companies, while undoubtedly overly hyping their products and sometimes having questionable marketing, are not full of idiots. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that the people making the nutes and figuring out how much of this or that and when know a lot more about every aspect of growing than we do. If they were all idiots and none of their mixes are worth a damn as written (my colloquial take on your opinion, seemingly, Shed), then everyone would always screw their plants up and nobody would buy synthetic nutes. So that said, sure, there are companies with an idiot or two in a position to make decisions. But generally I have to give them a little credit.
Yeah this from Jon is how I’ve always felt. The argument “All Nute Companies Are Out to Screw You By Making You Use Too Much” Makes zero sense.

They’d just water it down making the cost lower and maintaining margins. Neatly avoiding non returning punters.

Also ever read a proper baling recipe book? Using powered nutes? Teaspoons and shit? Cups? No weigh it.
Well no - actually I hope ai have something to add, Boyo!

I’m far less interested in what my plants get than insight into why my farmer mate after 2-3 harvests reckoned on his eyes alone he was only using the Bloom A/B start to finish. Which he did. He had like 200L of Veg A/B kicking about.

Yeah this from Jon is how I’ve always felt. The argument “All Nute Companies Are Out to Screw You By Making You Use Too Much” Makes zero sense.
I never made that argument so I won't defend it. What I have said is that most of them are selling into the old-timey adage that you need loads of P and K (and some go with the "low N" as well) in flower. Old theories die hard, and if growers believe it to be true then you won't sell as much as your competitors if you don't sell into that theory. Ever looked at what FoxFarms sells as P boosters? They want you to buy a pack of three different bottles with the following numbers: 0-50-10, 0-50-30, 5-45-19.

Here is what plants use during their veg and bloom based on tissue analysis. Further details are in the post.
I’m far less interested in what my plants get than insight into why my farmer mate after 2-3 harvests reckoned on his eyes alone he was only using the Bloom A/B start to finish. Which he did. He had like 200L of Veg A/B kicking about.
In coco or soil? Amended soil or plain garden soil?

It's impossible to say without seeing the guaranteed analysis for Bloom A and B. I can tell you that I would run GeoFlora Veg all through flower based on their numbers.

Old theories die hard, and if growers believe it to be true then you won't sell as much as your competitors if you don't sell into that theory
Yep - thank you! You learned me something about consumer group think there.
B. I can tell you that I would run GeoFlora Veg all through flower based on their numbers.
Yeah I can well believe if Farmer mate could go one way with one brand you could go the other way with another brand - so vice versa? Just a diff mix? Is that what you’re saying?

For me - I like the fact my nutes are a) Dutch they are incredible flower/fruit/vegetable growers. Maybe the premier greenhouse growers of any crop in the world. My nute company are 30 years old but piggy backed off tomato growing tech. New companies selling to small growers might get away with whacky NPK stuff snd flash splashes. But when you sell by the 55 Gallon Steel Drum to commercial growers you’d better be pretty sure it works as described / because a pretty box and stickers isn’t much of a substitute!

Yeah I can well believe if Farmer mate could go one way with one brand you could go the other way with another brand - so vice versa? Just a diff mix? Is that what your saying?
That is what I'm saying. It really depends on what's in the bottles and at what ratios. For example, when MC v2 came out it was billed as a one-stop birth-to-harvest nute-in-a-bag of dried powder. It was 9-6-17, so still overselling the K, but it came closer to the hype. The trouble was the low N, so when you got yellowing lowers in flower, adding more would put your K numbers too high, in addition to the higher amount of Ca. Folks would get lockouts and would spend most of the second half of flower with browning leaves and desperate to find a fix.

Adding magnesium nitrate was the easiest fix for that and got you much closer to a balanced ratio, but then Greenleaf went and changed the formula at least twice in short order and created a whole different set of issues with their new blends. You still see some folks using it here but most have moved on to other lines.

That is what I'm saying. It really depends on what's in the bottles and at what ratios. For example, when MC v2 came out it was billed as a one-stop birth-to-harvest nute-in-a-bag of dried powder. It was 9-6-17, so still overselling the K, but it came closer to the hype. The trouble was the low N, so when you got yellowing lowers in flower, adding more would put your K numbers too high, in addition to the higher amount of Ca. Folks would get lockouts and would spend most of the second half of flower with browning leaves and desperate to find a fix.

Adding magnesium nitrate was the easiest fix for that and got you much closer to a balanced ratio, but then Greenleaf went and changed the formula at least twice in short order and created a whole different set of issues with their new blends. You still see some folks using it here but most have moved on to other lines.
Yeah I tend to trust first time. Like you are with those nutes. Take then at face value.

But as the adage goes,

Fool me once, shame on you!
Fool me twice, shame on you!

I think like many things, electrical tech to nutes bro science comes along. I like using a healthy dose of well established providers.

Also I’m using 100L or 25 Gallons of nutes every 3 months. Its expensive!

1703087030223.png

This was from their website in April. But they used to use Meanwell drivers, back maybe June 2022 they changed to their own brand - but actually manufactured by LG. They may have bumped it from 650w to 730w then. Its on the driver label, with Mars and LG logos on. I think its a clue to why my other light guys have it in for them. They won't tell me who they manufacture for. NDA's but do I try, I offered to take the big boss lady out for dinner once 😆 She's loaded, think the owners daughter and my age, All the Chinese money in the world wouldn't save her from & Co she dallied with me! She said she'd love to have dinner with me, I could pay but she'd pay for the wine and she still wouldn't tell me who they make for!

Its pure speculation but I wonder if they were manufacturing for Elon's Home. White label is their main business.

Nick
Yeah I wish my drivers were Meanwell. Mine is 650. Forget the driver it’s boxed, but it’s cheaper than Meanwell.

Yeah I tend to trust first time. Like you are with those nutes. Take then at face value.

But as the adage goes,

I think like many things, electrical tech to nutes bro science comes along. I like using a healthy dose of well established providers.

Also I’m using 100L or 25 Gallons of nutes every 3 months. Its expensive!
Ha! Not just me and @InTheShed after all. Excellent discussion guys. I’ll chime in with this: I used Geoflora on the Skywalker this time. I did not go by their recommendation. I went all veg for about the first four weeks, then switched to 50/50, then 75/25 bloom/veg, and didn’t do a straight bloom nute until two or three weeks ago. This was sort of a fledgling attempt to give the plant access to everything and let it choose what it wanted. I also augmented with EWC top dresses every other watering, RGR every ten days, FF Kelp Me Kelp You, and FF Wholly Mackerel. And I couldn’t be happier with the plant. She’s perfect. FWIW.

I never made that argument so I won't defend it. What I have said is that most of them are selling into the old-timey adage that you need loads of P and K (and some go with the "low N" as well) in flower. Old theories die hard, and if growers believe it to be true then you won't sell as much as your competitors if you don't sell into that theory. Ever looked at what FoxFarms sells as P boosters? They want you to buy a pack of three different bottles with the following numbers: 0-50-10, 0-50-30, 5-45-19.

Here is what plants use during their veg and bloom based on tissue analysis. Further details are in the post.

In coco or soil? Amended soil or plain garden soil?

It's impossible to say without seeing the guaranteed analysis for Bloom A and B. I can tell you that I would run GeoFlora Veg all through flower based on their numbers.
Ever looked at what FoxFarms sells as P boosters? They want you to buy a pack of three different bottles with the following numbers: 0-50-10, 0-50-30, 5-45-19.

I have these. I use them very very occasionally at half strength as a booster on top of other stuff. Probably why I burn shit.

didn’t do a straight bloom nute until two or three weeks ago. This was sort of a fledgling attempt to give the plant access to everything and let it choose what it wanted. I also augmented with EWC top dresses every other watering, RGR every ten days, FF Kelp Me Kelp You, and FF Wholly Mackerel.
I'd say you're doing exactly the right thing if you're going to switch to their Bloom bag (3-5-5), which is add nitrogen via the Wholly Mackerel (3-1-0). There are many ways to get to healthy plants!

I'd say you're doing exactly the right thing if you're going to switch to their Bloom bag (3-5-5), which is add nitrogen via the Wholly Mackerel (3-1-0). There are many ways to get to healthy plants!
Thanks Shed, yeah I switched to the all bloom last feeding. Now she is so close I believe what I’ve established will bring her home, no need for any more nutes. If it appears that it’ll be more than a week I can always give her a shot of RGR.

Thanks Shed, yeah I switched to the all bloom last feeding. Now she is so close I believe what I’ve established will bring her home, no need for any more nutes. If it appears that it’ll be more than a week I can always give her a shot of RGR.
With that relatively simple regimen I gave her, in the entire grow she got only (1) shot of 5ml. of Calmag (2-0-0) when I felt she was a bit pale in veg. I don’t consider that enough chemicals to interfere with the goal of a more organic taste.

Morning guys - this morning I am very happy to announce that our new friend @rehabilitatora420, aka Nikolai, has taken the plunge and started his first grow journal in conjunction with his second grow. It makes my heart sing - that’s when I did mine. He is a little concerned about his grammar and such with the translation program, I had to nudge him a bit to get him to do it. I told him, hey, check out @Kanno26 sometime. Lmao, just kidding Kanno! So I told him no worries and we’re used to it. He’s still figuring out tagging and stuff, so I told him I’d give him an assist and post his link in here. If any of you would be kind enough to welcome him in and say hi in his journal I know it would light him up. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom