Jon's Final Florida Journal For Real

So if auto's are on a timeline from the day they sprout until finish, are there things that can be done to hold floweing off or to speed flowering up to start sooner?

I wonder, if certain triggers effect this, if organics vs synthetics may produce 2 very different autos growing side by side, because different triggers are being activated?
Well, you will likely get different answers to this depending on who you ask. I personally believe that genetics rule the day with autos, and you cannot affect them. I believe autos know in the seed what day they will begin to flower and no matter what you do, it’s impossible to affect. That’s my personal opinion. I’ve grown them in threes, fives, sevens, soil/Geo, bagged LOS (Sohum), coco with three different nute systems, pyramid pots, coco/water res setups. I’ve trained them every which way. And all that leads me to the conclusion I said above. They flower when they flower.

As far as synthetics vs organics with autos, if you beat a synthetic plant in yield with an organic of the same strain side by side, I’ll be shocked. Imo, synthetics will win that battle 99.9 times out of 100.

Watch the other opinions come out now. I hope.

Also, do you start by feeding for veg and finish by feeding for flower, or just use flower nutes all the way through?
I wouldn’t do autos organic now, to me it’s a waste of time. Nothing personal. They’re autos. For me, autos are about yield and quality. But yield. So I use the system I’m using as prescribed and work off that. When I did go with Geo, I switched to bloom nutes at the first sign of pistils so that ten days later when they hit flower they’d have active bloom nutes.

Meanwhile, it’s the coldest I’ve seen it in three years today. Right now it’s 54 degree here. For the southwest of Florida, that’s freezing. Overnight it went down to 52. I actually have the door to the garage shut all the way, so with the tent doors both opened up, and with the ACs running. This actually is keeping the plants warm right now, as I have the temp controls blowing out room temperature air or a little less. The heat from the AC exhaust is my wall against 54 degrees. Lmao.

Edit: he said, making everyone in Canada hate him…. :rofl:
-9c here this morning but with the wind it feels like -17c so 15F-1F , Lol & you're moving jan? enjoy it while you can

I wouldn’t do autos organic now, to me it’s a waste of time. Nothing personal. They’re autos. For me, autos are about yield and quality. But yield. So I use the system I’m using as prescribed and work off that. When I did go with Geo, I switched to bloom nutes at the first sign of pistils so that ten days later when they hit flower they’d have active bloom nutes.
That said, knowing what I’ve already learned from you, I would give them both in varying amounts all the way through. If I were doing it organic. Start with a mostly veg mix soil and hotten it as you go.

That said, knowing what I’ve already learned from you, I would give them both in varying amounts all the way through. If I were doing it organic. Start with a mostly veg mix soil and hotten it as you go.
@Gee64 - I also believe that autos can handle hotter everything than photos. Autos are to be pushed. Imo. From the get go. Even and maybe especially with light. I start mine at 600 ppfd. And almost always hit week one of the system a week before they say to. For example.

I will be displaying how to grow truly gargantuan autos in the next grow in PA. I’m going off on the one auto tent. No more of this wondering what to do and going back and forth. I know how to grow giant, healthy, non-leaf-burned autos, and will display. I have been pissing myself off lately with all this auto uncertainty I’ve been showing off so proudly. I don’t have a gargantuan one in this grow. The Blackberry Moonrocks is biggish, but far from gargantuan. I’m talking pound autos. I’ve said something similar before and fell short on a lofty goal (3 autos, 3 pounds, lol - I got to 42 ounces though). That’s not too short, only 6 ounces. I sincerely believe it can and will be done. By me. Next grow.

There. I just slapped myself in the face with the gauntlet.

:rofl:
i want to see that grow can't wait

@Gee64 - I also believe that autos can handle hotter everything than photos. Autos are to be pushed. Imo. From the get go. Even and maybe especially with light. I start mine at 600 ppfd. And almost always hit week one of the system a week before they say to. For example.
This makes sense. Ruderalis is a northern hemisphere thing that is used to long northern days with high UV.

I don't own synthetics, so it will be organic for sure. And I don't own veg soil or flower soil, just soil, so it will be a seed sprouted in a 7 gal of GeeSoil. I will treat it exactly like a photo, try for high brix, and see what happens.
Yeah but don’t you have “hotter” soils you use for certain strains? Autos need more calmag than photos. I’d use your “hottest” GeeSoil with spikes.

This makes sense. Ruderalis is a northern hemisphere thing that is used to long northern days with high UV.
That’s why I figured it too. Ruderalis genetics play a huge part in this.

i want to see that grow can't wait
It’s gonna involve coco, water, and large reservoirs. I finally have the perfect pots for it I think.

Yeah but don’t you have “hotter” soils you use for certain strains? Autos need more calmag than photos. I’d use your “hottest” GeeSoil with spikes.
It will definitely be my hottest soil, and if I have to buy a bottle of Calmag to pour in thats fine, but I will probably do some organic tinkering too.

I'll pick your brain, but the crap outta Carmen, and get it figured. Then we will see how good organics works at it I guess.

It will be outdoors so it's more about show than go. As long as I can keep it clean enough to feed to the worms I will do whatever it takes to make them pretty.

In 7 gal pots I would imagine 3 feet tall at best?

It will definitely be my hottest soil, and if I have to buy a bottle of Calmag to pour in thats fine, but I will probably do some organic tinkering too.

I'll pick your brain, but the crap outta Carmen, and get it figured. Then we will see how good organics works at it I guess.

It will be outdoors so it's more about show than go. As long as I can keep it clean enough to feed to the worms I will do whatever it takes to make them pretty.

That's about what I got out of 5 and 7 gallon pots this summer, but I don't really get much direct sunlight here, and those were my second and fourth autos.
First ones outdoor.
You said you're looking for ornamental qualities, and indica dominant, right?

Soil and Autos in one fell swoop…

Ruderalis mist have some trigger to flower. Nature doesn’t do random imho. What if the pot size thing is related to when the endless day begins to wane and the roots can no longer grow because of the cold and harder soil after a first frost maybe. This triggers the flower response.

That guy said 2.5lb’s off Autos in DWC

Thoughts?

Well, you will likely get different answers to this depending on who you ask. I personally believe that genetics rule the day with autos, and you cannot affect them. I believe autos know in the seed what day they will begin to flower and no matter what you do, it’s impossible to affect. That’s my personal opinion. I’ve grown them in threes, fives, sevens, soil/Geo, bagged LOS (Sohum), coco with three different nute systems, pyramid pots, coco/water res setups. I’ve trained them every which way. And all that leads me to the conclusion I said above. They flower when they flower.

As far as synthetics vs organics with autos, if you beat a synthetic plant in yield with an organic of the same strain side by side, I’ll be shocked. Imo, synthetics will win that battle 99.9 times out of 100.

Watch the other opinions come out now. I hope.
From my own experience. I grow in Living organic soil, my soil is actually Sohum soil that I have been re-amending for the last almost 3 years, 5 or 6 grows. I amend using my take on Coot's methods and Build a Soil way. I grow indoors in 20 gallon grow bags. Amending the soil prior to the grow and top dressing during the grow is very important. My last Autoflower harvest yielded approx 24 ounces dry cured buds from 4 plants (Sept 2023). I am a believer of "bigger roots bigger shoots". I believe people growing Autos that end up with small plants are growing in small pots, possibly poor lighting and are not feeding properly and the plants get root bound, stressed, they will go into survival mode triggering flowering, ending in small yields. I also believe that growers using synthetics can overcome early flower and grow larger plants in smaller pots by proper feeding and decent lighting.

I would say that’s impossible to answer. It’s so strain specific. But…. Don’t get XL autos. Do get indicas or indica learners. You should be alright. Best I could do is tell you that I gave you one strain suggestion for which that would likely be true - the Strawberry Banana. That one for me always came in right around three feet, in six grows of it (6 plants). It’s a splendid strain I highly recommend.

Only to make it look like the one in the pic.
That's not a very good way to operate if you ask me. Stressing only for looks. Green phenos test higher and have a more complete Cannabinoid profile compared to their purple counterpart. It's a genetic defects after all that affect chlorophyll, a main actor in photosynthesis.

Many people try to "breed out the purple" from commercial strains that's been bred for looks for generations in an attempt to improve them. It's a genetic defects for the good and the bad depending on what medicinal effects you look for and need.

Cheers!

That's not a very good way to operate if you ask me. Stressing only for looks. Green phenos test higher and have a more complete Cannabinoid profile compared to their purple counterpart. It's a genetic defects after all that affect chlorophyll, a main actor in photosynthesis.

Many people try to "breed out the purple" from commercial strains that's been bred for looks for generations in an attempt to improve them. It's a genetic defects for the good and the bad depending on what medicinal effects you look for and need.

Cheers!
Couldn’t agree more. I always hope the buds grow naturally as they show. I always give the seed sellers the credit that the buds they show for examples are not that way due to excessive cold. Maybe I shouldn’t. Lmao!

From my own experience. I grow in Living organic soil, my soil is actually Sohum soil that I have been re-amending for the last almost 3 years, 5 or 6 grows. I amend using my take on Coot's methods and Build a Soil way. I grow indoors in 20 gallon grow bags. Amending the soil prior to the grow and top dressing during the grow is very important. My last Autoflower harvest yielded approx 24 ounces dry cured buds from 4 plants (Sept 2023). I am a believer of "bigger roots bigger shoots". I believe people growing Autos that end up with small plants are growing in small pots, possibly poor lighting and are not feeding properly and the plants get root bound, stressed, they will go into survival mode triggering flowering, ending in small yields. I also believe that growers using synthetics can overcome early flower and grow larger plants in smaller pots by proper feeding and decent lighting.
I agree with every word. I get a little bummed now if they come on below six. I used to be psyched to get three. Big pots. I’m trying a ten next grow. Filled enough sevens, let’s see if an auto can fill a ten. I know they can.

Soil and Autos in one fell swoop…

Ruderalis mist have some trigger to flower. Nature doesn’t do random imho. What if the pot size thing is related to when the endless day begins to wane and the roots can no longer grow because of the cold and harder soil after a first frost maybe. This triggers the flower response.

That guy said 2.5lb’s off Autos in DWC

Thoughts?
Yes, there’s a trigger. It’s in the plants DNA. You cannot affect it. Again, just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom