InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Glad to have you circle back around. Do you think I can go from your perlite SWICK solo design to a similar perlite SWICK 1 gallon, and then to the final 5 gallon SIP?
Should be fine. These things take some time to morph their roots over to the ones they'll use in these containers so starting out in this type of pot gets that transition period out of the way early rather than trying to convert a normally watered plant over later on. That would still work, but you'd get a stall in growing while it reconfigured its roots at that point.

My comment is that it appears to be revolutionizing growing methodology quite significantly.
This pot design is at least decades old, started by the Earthbox Company as far as I can tell. The originator designed his boxes as a way to grow tomatoes on his Florida USA farm. But, as we've seen, these pots grow lots more than tomatoes well. :laughtwo:

There are a few people who have grown both ways who contribute to the SWICK thread. I've only heard good things about SIP so I don't doubt it is a great system. My comment is that it appears to be revolutionizing growing methodology quite significantly. Hype was possibly the wrong word to use. If you join the conversation in the SWICK thread you could get some info and photos. Nobody at 420 Mag has done a comparative grow yet. I'd like to see two clones grown in identical conditions, one on SIP and one on SWICK. I'd like to compare roots and see if / how they differ. I use SWICK for simplicity and it suits my setup on the dining room table better. I want to know if there is a difference in growth between SIP and SWICK grown clones.
I’d like to see one also, when I first started a Swick it was growing wonderfully until I upcaned it and messed it up. CL🍀

at least decades old
Azi c'mon, you are a very proactive advocate of the SIP and your influence on the 420 Mag website is causing people to change to SIP in quite significant numbers. Apparently SIP is revolutionizing the grow methodology for many growers at this site. Cudos.

Wednesday Summer grow planting update, so let's step through the old and new!

Here they were last night before I went to bed:

Since I can just see a tiny bit of the 5 Killer Cookies I'm calling yesterday Day 1. :)

Here they were this morning:

So out in the sun they go, ready for planting:

Let's take the new first. I want to create a SWICK similar to the one I made for the Le Creme CBG clone, but I wanted a full cup's-worth of soil rather than losing 1/3 of the cup to perlite. So I took a cup and filled the bottom with perlite so it was above the drain hole:

Side view:

Then I cut the bottom off a leaky old red solo cup:

I melted the edge to make it less sharp:

And I wedged it down into the perlite:

Then it was ready to pack the bottom with soil to make sure it wicks up from the perlite, and I sprinkled @DYNOMYCO on the top layer:

Time to unwrap the peat puck and sprinkle Dynomyco on it too:

And plant it in the cup-in-a-cup. Watering the reservoir at the bottom is easy because of the gap between the two cups!

I also top watered just this once to get the wicking action started.

And then it was on to the old planting method for the Grandpa's Moonshine:

I water down the outside edge avoiding the peat puck. Leaving the peat dry helps prevent the stem from rotting.

And here they are, planted and ready to go!

I don't have all the colors of tape some folks have access to, but I do have three colors of electrical tape, so I used them to tie the SWICK pots together for structural integrity. The blue cup is just to keep the water from spilling. 💦

That was my morning, and I hope yours went well. :ciao:

Quotes:
Should be fine. These things take some time to morph their roots over to the ones they'll use in these containers so starting out in this type of pot gets that transition period out of the way early rather than trying to convert a normally watered plant over later on. That would still work, but you'd get a stall in growing while it reconfigured its roots at that point.
Thanks Azi! I figured since the clone did so well I'd see if I could replicate that with a seed plant. We'll see!
Azi c'mon, you are a very proactive advocate of the SIP and your influence on the 420 Mag website is causing people to change to SIP in quite significant numbers. Apparently SIP is revolutionizing the grow methodology for many growers at this site. Cudos.
I guess the concept/method has been around for a long time, but it doesn't seem to have been often applied to growing cannabis, at least on the site. Azi and @ReservoirDog have put their heads together to spread the word, and a few successful grows here was all it took to catch on.

That's a clever implementation of a wicking solo cup! :Rasta:

Wednesday Summer grow planting update, so let's step through the old and new!

Here they were last night before I went to bed:

Since I can just see a tiny bit of the 5 Killer Cookies I'm calling yesterday Day 1. :)

Here they were this morning:

So out in the sun they go, ready for planting:

Let's take the new first. I want to create a SWICK similar to the one I made for the Le Creme CBG clone, but I wanted a full cup's-worth of soil rather than losing 1/3 of the cup to perlite. So I took a cup and filled the bottom with perlite so it was above the drain hole:

Side view:

Then I cut the bottom off a leaky old red solo cup:

I melted the edge to make it less sharp:

And I wedged it down into the perlite:

Then it was ready to pack the bottom with soil to make sure it wicks up from the perlite, and I sprinkled @DYNOMYCO on the top layer:

Time to unwrap the peat puck and sprinkle Dynomyco on it too:

And plant it in the cup-in-a-cup. Watering the reservoir at the bottom is easy because of the gap between the two cups!

I also top watered just this once to get the wicking action started.

And then it was on to the old planting method for the Grandpa's Moonshine:

I water down the outside edge avoiding the peat puck. Leaving the peat dry helps prevent the stem from rotting.

And here they are, planted and ready to go!

I don't have all the colors of tape some folks have access to, but I do have three colors of electrical tape, so I used them to tie the SWICK pots together for structural integrity. The blue cup is just to keep the water from spilling. :)

That was my morning, and I hope yours went well. :ciao:

Quotes:

Thanks Azi! I figured since the clone did so well I'd see if I could replicate that with a seed plant. We'll see!

I guess the concept/method has been around for a long time, but it doesn't seem to have been often applied to growing cannabis, at least on the site. Azi and @ReservoirDog have put their heads together to spread the word, and a few successful grows here was all it took to catch on.
Nice work upcaning, I like different colors of tape and of course you gotta have the @DYNOMYCO. Btw Shedmeister are you also going to enter the @DYNOMYCO Solo Challenge? CL🍀 :thumb: :welldone::cheesygrinsmiley:

That's a clever implementation of a wicking solo cup!
Thanks GDB! I try to put my insomnia to good use. :thumb:
Nice work upcaning, I like different colors of tape and of course you gotta have the @DYNOMYCO.
Thanks Captain, and I mixed Dynomyco into the soil before I filled the cups too!
Btw Shedmeister are you also going to enter the @DYNOMYCO Solo Challenge? CL
Nah. I've done my share of growing in solo cups and don't need a challenge. And after seeing @Cola Monster's new journal, any attempt on my part would be a fool's errand by comparison!

Thanks GDB! I try to put my insomnia to good use. :thumb:

Thanks Captain, and I mixed Dynomyco into the soil before I filled the cups too!

Nah. I've done my share of growing in solo cups and don't need a challenge. And after seeing @Cola Monster's new journal, any attempt on my part would be a fool's errand by comparison!
Everyone has to start from new so no already existing is allowed. Lots of prizes for free DynoMyco so why not? It’s better than paying for it and we all know you have nothing to prove. CL🍀

Quickie Thursday update just to show you where my new sprouts are living at night:

Wrapped up in the heat mat for a bit of warmth! They haven't done much in 24 hours but as long as they look happy I look happy. :)

Grandpa's Moonshine:

5 Killer Cookies still not open:

It rained last night and this morning, but before my wife left for work she put them out under mixed sun and cloudy skies and wrapped the cups in a towel for a bit of insulation against the chilly air.

We'll see!

Quotes:
That’s cool, less competition is a good thing and I’m out of DynoMyco.lol CL
Glad to be able to clear the lane for you Captain!
Loving that oddball looking red solo used for the SWICK!
IKR? Who ever heard of red solo cups?
Thoughtful design on your solo Shed!
Thank you Otter!
Damn I see what you mean with the solo's cola monster has going thats crazy Good ! Off and running shed and the red stems look good !
CM's stuff is wild once you see the whole plant in that tiny pot!

Quickie Thursday update just to show you where my new sprouts are living at night:

Wrapped up in the heat mat for a bit of warmth! They haven't done much in 24 hours but as long as they look happy I look happy. :)

Grandpa's Moonshine:

5 Killer Cookies still not open:

It rained last night and this morning, but before my wife left for work she put them out under mixed sun and cloudy skies and wrapped the cups in a towel for a bit of insulation against the chilly air.

We'll see!

Quotes:

Glad to be able to clear the lane for you Captain!

IKR? Who ever heard of red solo cups?

Thank you Otter!

CM's stuff is wild once you see the whole plant in that tiny pot!
Just every keg party I’ve ever been to. lol CL🍀

Nicely done little SWICK, Shed!
Uppotting out of that will be a breeze- and no roots left hanging in the drain holes because.... no drain holes...:)

Back
Top Bottom