InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Way to grow Shed! Man the summer crew look fine and a surprise Candida! Sueet!
Thank you Sparkey! I was hoping to repeat the CJ frost that you and beez and Justin have gotten. :thumb:

Thanks Otter! Skies have been sunny and I plucked a caterpillar off this morning, so it will be time for a BT spray this weekend. Should I back cross the Candidas when the pistils are ready? Not sure there's any value in it since they were stabilized pretty well by MMG before they were released for sale. :hmmmm:
From what I read that will strengthen your line of seeds you make. What does that mean? I had to ask the all knowing :p .
From Floraflex:

Benefits of Backcrossing​

Backcrossing offers several benefits in cannabis strain development:

1. Trait Reinforcement: By backcrossing with a parent strain, breeders can emphasize and amplify specific desired traits, such as flavor, aroma, potency, or disease resistance. This selective breeding process helps maintain consistency in the expression of these traits across multiple generations.
  2. Genetic Stability: Backcrossing helps establish genetic stability within a strain. By reintroducing the genetics of one of the parent strains, breeders reduce genetic variation and increase the likelihood of producing offspring that closely resemble the desired characteristics of the hybrid strain.
  3. Consistency in Phenotype: Backcrossing increases the likelihood of producing offspring with consistent phenotypes, ensuring that the desired traits are expressed predictably. This is important for both commercial production and consumer expectations.
  4. Preservation of Genetic Diversity: Backcrossing allows breeders to maintain and preserve genetic diversity within a strain. By incorporating the genetics of the parent strain, breeders prevent the strain from becoming too genetically uniform, which can lead to vulnerability to diseases or environmental changes.

So if you feel the want to do that, then absolutely!

Way to grow Shed! Man the summer crew look fine and a surprise Candida! Sueet!

From what I read that will strengthen your line of seeds you make. What does that mean? I had to ask the all knowing :p .
From Floraflex:

Benefits of Backcrossing​

Backcrossing offers several benefits in cannabis strain development:

1. Trait Reinforcement: By backcrossing with a parent strain, breeders can emphasize and amplify specific desired traits, such as flavor, aroma, potency, or disease resistance. This selective breeding process helps maintain consistency in the expression of these traits across multiple generations.
  2. Genetic Stability: Backcrossing helps establish genetic stability within a strain. By reintroducing the genetics of one of the parent strains, breeders reduce genetic variation and increase the likelihood of producing offspring that closely resemble the desired characteristics of the hybrid strain.
  3. Consistency in Phenotype: Backcrossing increases the likelihood of producing offspring with consistent phenotypes, ensuring that the desired traits are expressed predictably. This is important for both commercial production and consumer expectations.
  4. Preservation of Genetic Diversity: Backcrossing allows breeders to maintain and preserve genetic diversity within a strain. By incorporating the genetics of the parent strain, breeders prevent the strain from becoming too genetically uniform, which can lead to vulnerability to diseases or environmental changes.

So if you feel the want to do that, then absolutely!
:thanks: for doing that research Otter! After reading through those benefits I think I'll skip it. I have no idea about the traits of these abandoned test plants, I'm not concerned with genetic stability or phenotypes (MMG took care of both), and I have no idea what value genetic diversity would impart. I would think the S1's I made will still have some genetic diversity in them just because of the punnett square thing for a first generation self-cross.

Less work for me. :)

:thanks: for doing that research Otter! After reading through those benefits I think I'll skip it. I have no idea about the traits of these abandoned test plants, I'm not concerned with genetic stability or phenotypes (MMG took care of both), and I have no idea what value genetic diversity would impart. I would think the S1's I made will still have some genetic diversity in them just because of the punnett square thing for a first generation self-cross.

Thanks for sharing your very sound reasons. I have always wondered about this.

Good move! Less is more once again!

Thank you Sparkey! I was hoping to repeat the CJ frost that you and beez and Justin have gotten. :thumb:

Thanks Otter! Skies have been sunny and I plucked a caterpillar off this morning, so it will be time for a BT spray this weekend. Should I back cross the Candidas when the pistils are ready? Not sure there's any value in it since they were stabilized pretty well by MMG before they were released for sale. :hmmmm:
I got my BT yesterday too, so spraying tonight. One of my tobacco plants got demolished. And the deer ate up my crepe myrtle as soon as I took the cage around it off. Little (big) sh_ts!! Wish there was a lasting spray that I could use to keep THEM away!

You know those huge green annoying fig beetles that seem to fly into your face at every opportunity?

They're pretty uncoordinated so it took this one about 2 minutes to climb off the leaves and onto the flower, and all it wanted to do was have an easy spot to take off from, which it did the second I took the picture.
That must be a west coast beetle; never seen one before.

Looks like what we call a June Bug , I didn't know deer ate crepe myrtle heck they can trim mine up there Big
Frickin' deer eat EVERYTHING here! Those painsinmyass, plus the bears, the caterpillars, thrips, whiteflies, and raccoons keep me plenty busy with the outside gardens. I'm getting ready to put a few indoor seeds down which is INFINITELY easier to manage than outside (here anyway!).

I'm guessing that meant this weekend next year, yes?
No, last weekend, this year. Weather was overcast, camera batteries were dead, then my 7' plant in its 5 gal home tipped over and smashed into my other one. Lost a branch, had to upcan to a 7 gal as it was all i had. Worked out well and they never skipped a beat. I will have pics this weekend.
On a side note, just using MC at 6g, nothing else. Happy little ladies.

No, last weekend, this year. Weather was overcast, camera batteries were dead, then my 7' plant in its 5 gal home tipped over and smashed into my other one. Lost a branch, had to upcan to a 7 gal as it was all i had. Worked out well and they never skipped a beat. I will have pics this weekend.
Welcome New Members - Please Read Before Posting

Thanks for sharing your very sound reasons. I have always wondered about this.
Sound reasoning my specialty!
Lovely garden Shed! Your plants are looking beautifully awesome and lush!
Very kind words, and thanks for stopping by in your off season Stunger!
Good move! Less is more once again!
Always Penny's advice. :)
I got my BT yesterday too, so spraying tonight. One of my tobacco plants got demolished. And the deer ate up my crepe myrtle as soon as I took the cage around it off. Little (big) sh_ts!!
Why did you take off the cages? The deer were just waiting for you to fold!
Wish there was a lasting spray that I could use to keep THEM away!
Best way to deal with deer and bears is to move to an urban location. I never have either. :cheesygrinsmiley:
That must be a west coast beetle; never seen one before.
Seems to be. Wikipedia has them in the southwest, primarily California.
Looks like what we call a June Bug , I didn't know deer ate crepe myrtle heck they can trim mine up there Big
We get the brown June bugs here, but they're less than a quarter of the size of these monsters. You can hear these ones buzzing from 30 feet away. :eek:
Frickin' deer eat EVERYTHING here! Those painsinmyass, plus the bears, the caterpillars, thrips, whiteflies, and raccoons keep me plenty busy with the outside gardens. I'm getting ready to put a few indoor seeds down which is INFINITELY easier to manage than outside (here anyway!).
Gotta be easier inside where you are.
Oh uh huh okay. Did you say "camera batteries"? Like it's 2010? Also, no one believes you're growing anything, as in POIDH.
:popcorn:
I'll clean up after myself.
Really, after all that? Plain old MC v1? That's crazy.
:laugh:

There was a time when you were tolerable. Now isn't that time.
Oh uh huh okay. Did you say "camera batteries"? Like it's 2010? Also, no one believes you're growing anything, as in POIDH.
:popcorn:
I'll clean up after myself.
Batteries, yes. Turns out my wifes toys drained them. Short circuited most likely from overuse.
Really, after all that? Plain old MC v1? That's crazy.
Yup. They drink 8l of water each day. For you Americans, thats 8000ml per day. Im not sure what to expect in the next couple of weeks once they start to stretch.

Batteries, yes. Turns out my wifes toys drained them. Short circuited most likely from overuse.
Sounds like you're spending too much time out on the deck. :hmmmm:
Yup. They drink 8l of water each day. For you Americans, thats 8000ml per day.
Thanks for the conversion! Also, what made you decide to drop the formulas after all this time and go back where you started?
Im not sure what to expect in the next couple of weeks once they start to stretch.
You're not sure what to expect? Is it June of 2018 again?

Sounds like you're spending too much time out on the deck. :hmmmm:
I am, but not enough time staining it.

Thanks for the conversion! Also, what made you decide to drop the formulas after all this time and go back where you started?
I didn't see any reason to adjust things as the plants grew out. They seem to love it outdoors. One was topped, the other was left to grow naturally. Of course it means nothing unless i have pics, I get it.
You're not sure what to expect? Is it June of 2018 again?

June 2018... just a blur really. Thanks for that reminder!

I can understand your intolerance...

...you being a handyman at the moment.
LOL! Yes, a handyman. I still fall asleep.

Back
Top Bottom