InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Okay, be kind everyone…I got a question. WTF is SIP? My best guess is “slow irrigation process” I see that term on here a lot since I been back
Self irrigating planter

Okay, be kind everyone…I got a question. WTF is SIP? My best guess is “slow irrigation process” I see that term on here a lot since I been back

Self irrigating planter

Close. Sub Irrigated Planter

Come check out #SIP Club. The first page of the thread lays it out pretty well. But basically a pot with soil above, a water reservoir below and an air gap in between. The plant waters itself and generally produces larger plants in soil similar to what you'd get in DWC or coco.

Close. Sub Irrigated Planter

Come check out #SIP Club. The first page of the thread lays it out pretty well. But basically a pot with soil above, a water reservoir below and an air gap in between. The plant waters itself and generally produces larger plants in soil similar to what you'd get in DWC or coco.
Thanks Azi.

Why do the house plant folks call them self irrigating and the canna heads call them sub irrigated? It's kinda like cannabis growers always using the word nutrients instead of fertz.

I'm in both worlds so it's sometimes confusing.

Thanks Azi.

Why do the house plant folks call them self irrigating and the canna heads call them sub irrigated? It's kinda like cannabis growers always using the word nutrients instead of fertz.

I'm in both worlds so it's sometimes confusing.
Hey VG,

There are several variations on the theme. @Carmen Ray started a cousin thread centered on Swicks which separates out the reservoir and connects it back typically with some sort of wicking material like string/rope, or a fabric bag sitting on a bed of perlite, that sort of thing, while the SIP integrates everything in one container.

So, self-irrigating is more an catch-all grouping and the various designs splinter off from there.

At least that's how I view it.

Cheers!

image.jpg

Behold a SIP Plant beast! An outdoor grown Red Mimosa XL Auto all organic grow. Why would you grow any other way?! Just 2 weeks to a sweet sweet and bountiful harvest!

Why grow any other way!

Social housing provision for insects too!

Authors note - I have done literally nothing for this plant other than casually toss a seed in soil and fill it with water once. They’re very easy.

I don't know why but this all cracked me up. SIP has taken the site by storm. Now that I've stopped laughing, I don't know why I found it funny to begin with. Possibly your plee for kindness :passitleft: , the irony?
Like my Dutch buckets durrr…lmao. Man I feel stupid…:lot-o-toke:
Yes, the irony :)

Hey VG,

There are several variations on the theme. @Carmen Ray started a cousin thread centered on Swicks which separates out the reservoir and connects it back typically with some sort of wicking material like string/rope, or a fabric bag sitting on a bed of perlite, that sort of thing, while the SIP integrates everything in one container.

So, self-irrigating is more an catch-all grouping and the various designs splinter off from there.

At least that's how I view it.

Cheers!
I'm glad you mentioned the SWICKS because they have their place and some folk have had excellent results. Your description is good, thank you Azi.

Well, I’m a day late and a dollar short, but I’m 💯 here for a Shed auto grow! Any progress? This thread moves so dang fast, I can’t tell how long it’s been since you last violated the box-of-light’s privacy. 👀

Friday update, the one where I plant the Ruby Tuesday auto!

Let's begin on Thursday night, when my voyeuristic tendencies led me to spy this:

48 hours from being dropped in the peat to being well above ground...not too shabby. :thumb:

So this morning it was time to plant it, and I went with a solo cup since I'll be treating this like any of my photo plants (other than providing more environmental control). First things first, soil in the cup with @DYNOMYCO sprinkled on top (I grind it between my fingers as I sprinkle for more even coverage):

Next, I take the cover off my peat puck:

and coat the outside with a bit more Dynomyco:

I filled in the sides with soil, but I like to leave the peat a bit higher than the rest to make it easier to water just down the sides without wetting the peat. That helps prevent damping off.

Here you can see the water slowly working its way down the outside of the soil:

And here it is, planted:

It's a lovely day so I have it sitting in the sun even though it will spend most of veg in the tent. Seems like a good way to get it moving. :)

I scraped off a bit of the peat above the Queen G auto seed and it looks like it's on its way out, so that news when it happens.

In other garden news, you may remember I topped the lime tree clone almost exactly a month ago, and here is the new growth exactly where I want it:

And here is the growth I don't want, down low:

That's gone now...I lollipop everything!

If the QGa breaks ground today it will be day 1 for both, simplifying record keeping in a big way. We'll see.

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope your weekend is looking sunny and bright. :cool:

Quotes:
I gave up cigarettes years ago and just smoke weed instead ,its way better . Used to still put cigarettes in my weed up until about 18 months ago and it was so good to give them the flick completely.
Smoke my weed straight now
Everything is better with a bag of weed!
My first grow was DDa and from 2 plants, I yielded 18 grams in total. Big Devil XL is a parent of DDa. It's what I grow instead of Dark Devil now. My last 2 plants yielded 394 grams in total. Way better than the 18 grams from the DDas.
Way better! Did you find the effects and taste similar to the DDA?
I smoked tobacco for 25 years. Tried quitting countless times. HOW I QUIT…I went and watched my wife do a mud run. I was outside the ropes watching people of all shapes and sizes run by and I was smoking a Marlboro light. That made me feel like a fucking loser. Shortly after I downloaded a couch to 5k app. Started walking/running. Still smoked. Finished my first 5k. Stop smoking. Finished my first 10k. Finished a 1/2 marathon. Finished a full marathon. Finished a 50k. YOU GOT TO WANT TO QUIT! You can do it and will be a lot better for it…!
Whoa well done Caddie! I never smoked cigarettes and I can run about a half block. :rolleyes:
I found it easy when I substituted it with weed
Like my Dutch buckets durrr…lmao. Man I feel stupid…
There are no stupid questions Caddie. Feel free to ask me what the ILGWU is as well!
Why do the house plant folks call them self irrigating and the canna heads call them sub irrigated? It's kinda like cannabis growers always using the word nutrients instead of fertz. I'm in both worlds so it's sometimes confusing.
I would say that self-irrigated would be more like a SWICK, where the water is sitting in a saucer underneath or surrounding the pot. A SIP (as defined here anyway) has a soil wick surrounding the reservoir and that soil is part of the same soil the plant is in. Of course, this comment will generate more posts than my RTa planting. :cheesygrinsmiley:
I don't know why but this all cracked me up. SIP has taken the site by storm. Now that I've stopped laughing, I don't know why I found it funny to begin with. Possibly your plee for kindness, the irony?
Never stop laughing Carmen!
Well, I’m a day late and a dollar short, but I’m 💯 here for a Shed auto grow! Any progress? This thread moves so dang fast, I can’t tell how long it’s been since you last violated the box-of-light’s privacy. 👀
Hardly late, and welcome double H. :ciao:

Friday update, the one where I plant the Ruby Tuesday auto!

Let's begin on Thursday night, when my voyeuristic tendencies led me to spy this:

48 hours from being dropped in the peat to being well above ground...not too shabby. :thumb:

So this morning it was time to plant it, and I went with a solo cup since I'll be treating this like any of my photo plants (other than providing more environmental control). First things first, soil in the cup with @DYNOMYCO sprinkled on top (I grind it between my fingers as I sprinkle for more even coverage):

Next, I take the cover off my peat puck:

and coat the outside with a bit more Dynomyco:

I filled in the sides with soil, but I like to leave the peat a bit higher than the rest to make it easier to water just down the sides without wetting the peat. That helps prevent damping off.

Here you can see the water slowly working its way down the outside of the soil:

And here it is, planted:

It's a lovely day so I have it sitting in the sun even though it will spend most of veg in the tent. Seems like a good way to get it moving. :)

I scraped off a bit of the peat above the Queen G auto seed and it looks like it's on its way out, so that news when it happens.

In other garden news, you may remember I topped the lime tree clone almost exactly a month ago, and here is the new growth exactly where I want it:

And here is the growth I don't want, down low:

That's gone now...I lollipop everything!

If the QGa breaks ground today it will be day 1 for both, simplifying record keeping in a big way. We'll see.

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope your weekend is looking sunny and bright. :cool:

Quotes:

Way better! Did you find the effects and taste similar to the DDA?

Whoa well done Caddie! I never smoked cigarettes and I can run about a half block. :rolleyes:

There are no stupid questions Caddie. Feel free to ask me what the ILGWU is as well!

I would say that self-irrigated would be more like a SWICK, where the water is sitting in a saucer underneath or surrounding the pot. A SIP (as defined here anyway) has a soil wick surrounding the reservoir and that soil is part of the same soil the plant is in. Of course, this comment will generate more posts than my RTa planting. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Never stop laughing Carmen!

Hardly late, and welcome double H. :ciao:
now the real challenge begins can you keep it in veg for 50+ days ? if you want to know my secret it's simple FAK it up as a seedling Lol!! nice to see it popping out of the ground so quick

Fabulous news, Shed. Maybe your Queen G is waiting for mine (a day behind) good timing either way. And that RT looks strong!
Thanks Justin, but if I see green by midnight I'm gonna call it. :)
Damn, that was something else….
It's always something!
now the real challenge begins can you keep it in veg for 50+ days ? if you want to know my secret it's simple FAK it up as a seedling Lol!! nice to see it popping out of the ground so quick
50 days would be a miracle, and if either of mine end up looking like yours I will consider it a win!

I'm going to drop another Queen G seed now because I don't like the look of this:

20231117_215246.jpg

Zoom in and you'll see what I mean.

:popcorn:
That’s what all mine are looking 👀 like and I think I’m gonna do the same. CL🍀

Back
Top Bottom