InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Looks like I jumped a page again. Today's post is here!

Thanks Baked! If you can do turkey bags in buckets that should protect them from over-drying. Though your upcoming harvest should fit nicely in a corner of the fridge. ;)

LOLOL!

Sure, why not? Lots of lower growth you wouldn't be keeping in the end anyway!

I doubt you will encounter this kind of nute mix as even Greenleaf don't make it like this any more! And I'd recommend not griding the GF as it is based on the fact that it dissolves over a 14 day period.

Mid-stretch thinning?

I knew I was going to take it after stretch so I figured yesterday was better!

Yes!

I probably missed some of that and others I had higher hopes for. Once I saw they were buried in the canopy I figured that while I had the trimmers out...
Thank you Mr. Shed! And duh, I should have known that about the Geo, that was a not very well thought out question. Lol.

And duh, I should have known that about the Geo, that was a not very well thought out question. Lol.
Don't sell yourself short. I think it was a great question!

I agree with Shed. It is not necessary to grind the GF, but you still can. You are simply speeding up the break down process for the microbes. Something I have considered for seedlings. But again, not necessary. I like the 2 weeks.

I actually have tried soaking GF granules and used the concentrated solution to feed plants. It worked great. I don't recommend anyone doing that though. I don't want any backlash. It was a technique I have used with other similar products and knew it was a relatively safe way to boost nutrients "quickly". There is a small % that is water soluble. The rest of it needs biology.

Creating a true ground "meal" is an expensive and dirty endeavor for nutrient companies. The larger the granules, the easier it is on machines, packaging, air quality, yadda yadda. The GF quality control is top notch and the consistency of the granules is fairly even. That being said, there will always be dust and finer ground stuff. I just use it like the rest of what's in the bag.

Here is the thing. Smaller granules or a meal would disperse in soil better and spread into many of the crevices and encourages more microbes to be spread throughout the soil versus concentrations only on the bigger granules. That's my take on meal and granule fertilizers. Not too scientific but thought I'd share.

Don't sell yourself short. I think it was a great question!

I agree with Shed. It is not necessary to grind the GF, but you still can. You are simply speeding up the break down process for the microbes. Something I have considered for seedlings. But again, not necessary. I like the 2 weeks.

I actually have tried soaking GF granules and used the concentrated solution to feed plants. It worked great. I don't recommend anyone doing that though. I don't want any backlash. It was a technique I have used with other similar products and knew it was a relatively safe way to boost nutrients "quickly". There is a small % that is water soluble. The rest of it needs biology.

Creating a true ground "meal" is an expensive and dirty endeavor for nutrient companies. The larger the granules, the easier it is on machines, packaging, air quality, yadda yadda. The GF quality control is top notch and the consistency of the granules is fairly even. That being said, there will always be dust and finer ground stuff. I just use it like the rest of what's in the bag.

Here is the thing. Smaller granules or a meal would disperse in soil better and spread into many of the crevices and encourages more microbes to be spread throughout the soil versus concentrations only on the bigger granules. That's my take on meal and granule fertilizers. Not too scientific but thought I'd share.
Thanks so much @BakedARea! Funny you mention that about the GF. I considered mixing it with the water and feeding that way with it rather than top dressing. Once your pot is full of roots, it becomes difficult to work the nutes down in, so you're not really amending anymore, just top dressing. And my logic says that's gotta be the slowest way. Since I was just gonna water the top dressing anyway, I thought what would be the difference? But I chose not to do that.

I see Shed's point though, and yours too, about the 14 days, and I like that too. My first run I fed every 13 days instead, but that was my only adjustment. It worked perfectly. But it always seemed it was about four or five days for it to kick in. I wonder if you could grind the Geo, mix with water to feed, and feed more often since you'd be essentially "force feeding" them microbes and I assume they'd get used up more quickly?

EDIT: I don't mind killing a plant at all in the name of experimentation.

I wonder if you could grind the Geo, mix with water to feed, and feed more often since you'd be essentially "force feeding" them microbes and I assume they'd get used up more quickly?

EDIT: I don't mind killing a plant at all in the name of experimentation.
Not a bad idea. I'm game! I'll be getting clones from all my genetics this run. I could definitely set a couple aside and do some comparisons. Why not?!

I agree with you about the topdressing. After my indoor GSC harvest, I found that there was a lot of unused nutrients in my top soil. Improper mulching being a big culprit but more importantly, improper watering. I should have kept more moisture on the top sections anyway. I tried working it in but at the detriment of disturbing the roots and microbes in that top layer. In my final pots this go round, I'm leaving a lot more space for the topdressing AND mulch layers every 2 weeks. Lasagna "no till" style. That will help break it down more effectively.

I'm all for experimentation on the best uses for GF (and I need to mention that they have stated that you should feed more and/or more often if you see your plant needing it), but I wanted to comment on this:
Once your pot is full of roots, it becomes difficult to work the nutes down in,
If you're having trouble getting your pots to absorb water, you should really move up at least one pot size.

Not a bad idea. I'm game! I'll be getting clones from all my genetics this run. I could definitely set a couple aside and do some comparisons. Why not?!

I agree with you about the topdressing. After my indoor GSC harvest, I found that there was a lot of unused nutrients in my top soil. Improper mulching being a big culprit but more importantly, improper watering. I should have kept more moisture on the top sections anyway. I tried working it in but at the detriment of disturbing the roots and microbes in that top layer. In my final pots this go round, I'm leaving a lot more space for the topdressing AND mulch layers every 2 weeks. Lasagna "no till" style. That will help break it down more effectively.
Ah...plant the plant deeper in the pot and leave more soil above the center roots that always seem to stick up and out no matter how you transplant. Leave root free soil above. That the idea? So you always have a buffer zone to amend into? I love it.

@Bill284 even had me amend the Geo plants with his bokashi and frass tea, and that worked wonderfully and seemingly even more quickly had an effect than the Geo itself. Liquid microbes. Hmm....

I have so much more experimentation to do. It's actually fun sometimes to be a pretty new grower.'

But dialing in the when to feed doing it that way I imagine would be the tricky part, no?

Btw, @InTheShed, in case nobody thanked you today for your encouragement of good side discussions in your thread, let me be the first. I got my model for that from you. It makes for so much more learning for everyone.

I'm all for experimentation on the best uses for GF (and I need to mention that they have stated that you should feed more and/or more often if you see your plant needing it), but I wanted to comment on this:

If you're having trouble getting your pots to absorb water, you should really move up at least one pot size.
Thanks. I think I figured that out too this grow. I use too small of pots for everything. Outdoor coco plants in 3s. Why Bill let me do that is beyond me. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Btw, @InTheShed, in case nobody thanked you today for your encouragement of good side discussions in your thread, let me be the first. I got my model for that from you. It makes for so much more learning for everyone.
This thread is for any reasoned discussion on growing! I don't use GF (I tried it back when they said stick to their schedule, which didn't work for my test plant), but adding to the conversation about it is welcomed for sure.

I may even give it another go and be much more aggressive with the feeding schedule.
Why Bill let me do that is beyond me.
Too hard to smack you from Canada?

This thread is for any reasoned discussion on growing! I don't use GF (I tried it back when they said stick to their schedule, which didn't work for my test plant), but adding to the conversation about it is welcomed for sure.

I may even give it another go and be much more aggressive with the feeding schedule.

Too hard to smack you from Canada?
LOL! No, even Bill wouldn't treat me like that. I started them before he took over the grow, and we decided (well, he did, once he started steering this is truly his grow - he made every decision literally except to put them in 3s) to leave them go given all the chaos that was going on and let me learn about it on this one. At least I think that was his logic. It was a good move. I learned more from these three plants and this coco experience than I have in a long time.

EDIT: In fact, this is where I realized the other thing you said about pot size. Not that it wasn't really damn obvious. Lol.

Hey Shed!

Those Sour G buds look delicious!

And this bag, which has been sealed and stored in the shed, was practically a rock when I opened it:
Sealed at the factory or opened and re-sealed?
I guess the motor just gave up from the ball stress.
Nothing to be ashamed of Shed. :straightface:

I used a coffee grinder for my MC back in the day. Just a cheap one. The little Ninja $20 food processors worked great too. They are much larger.

I looked at the pizza steels. Some of those get up there in price. They do make conversion kits for gas and charcoal grills that makes your grill into a pizza oven capable of 800°. They are around $100. I may grab one this summer. If I can't afford to do that I have plans for a $50 pizza oven I can make with 30 ish bricks and 2x24" cement pavers. Wood fired baby!

Plants look great btw.

Those Sour G buds look delicious!
Thanks GDB!
Sealed at the factory or opened and re-sealed?
Oh sorry, I should explain. In a fit of early enthusiasm I bought a 22lb bag of the stuff. Most of it sits in a 2 gallon bucket with a container of DampRid in it. The rest I parceled into the smaller bags I had from previous purchases of smaller amounts. I'm thinking that, like turkey bags, these are not airtight either!
Nothing to be ashamed of Shed.
LOL! Thank you for your support.
I used a coffee grinder for my MC back in the day. Just a cheap one. The little Ninja $20 food processors worked great too. They are much larger.
Oh good to know. I will look into those on Amazon. I didn't think a food processor would grind those balls down to powder. :thanks:
I looked at the pizza steels. Some of those get up there in price. They do make conversion kits for gas and charcoal grills that makes your grill into a pizza oven capable of 800°. They are around $100. I may grab one this summer. If I can't afford to do that I have plans for a $50 pizza oven I can make with 30 ish bricks and 2x24" cement pavers. Woodfired baby!
Plants look great btw.
Thanks VG! A brick pizza oven sounds like a blast, but I'm going to work with what I already have in the kitchen.

Oh, and I never made the pizza this weekend because I haven't located any low moisture full fat mozzarella. The search continues...

Hi Shed! :ciao: Your plants are looking gorgeous as is that pile of buds. I love your lemon tree too. :love: I have quotes!

Greenleaf doesn't make it like this any more!
They aren’t making MC anymore? I’m not sure what version I have of it but it looks nothing like yours. Mine looks like the little balls came out of the food processor and it’s like sand.
I have plans for a $50 pizza oven I can make with 30 ish bricks and 2x24" cement pavers.
oh man, post in your junk drawer? Please? :cheesygrinsmiley:
I'm going to read that as "nutes"...
Yeah, I’m gonna bet nuts. Lol! :laughtwo:

I love your plants! You take off quite a bit of rootmass there .. I was told to just remove the outer ends that are circling to promote it reaching further to the sides and down again. Is this a form of training?

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom