InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Please just say it is using stored energy until I find ways to explain things.
So...would one go easy on the defoliation if they're planning on droughting a plant? So there's more stored energy available to the process?

still hard to watch...:oops:

So...would one go easy on the defoliation if they're planning on droughting a plant? So there's more stored energy available to the process?

still hard to watch...:oops:
Great point to address. And you are seriously correct. Correct enough I could start an argument I would win against all the die hard defoilers. What an absolutely sinister and counterproductive practice.
Very unhobbitual we says. :hookah:

1633735685576.jpeg

In this photo, if you draw a line from the node to the petiole/leaf attachment, it looks like it would be a bit under 50 degrees. If you started at 90, you are now just about at 50% delta LWA. To me, this leaf looks done. You can send it to me to eat if it recovers to turgidity.

And you’re supposed to do this to the plant in week 7? With possibly weeks left until harvest?
:thedoubletake:

n this photo, if you draw a line from the node to the petiole/leaf attachment, it looks like it would be a bit under 50 degrees. If you started at 90, you are now just about at 50% delta LWA. To me, this leaf looks done. You can send it to me to eat if it recovers to turgidity.
And you’re supposed to do this to the plant in week 7? With possibly weeks left until harvest?
I'm pretty sure what week you do this depends on when you expect to harvest. If it were indoors and you did it at 7 weeks + 11 days they would expect you to be harvesting around the end of week 8 (so just a few days post recovery). For a 10 week variety the timing would change.

In terms of angle, let me draw. This is my angle after 5 days of drought. Let's call it 60º:
1633735685576.jpeg

For this to represent a 50% droop, it would have needed to start at a 40º angle when happy and fertigated. The petioles on this plant never had that narrow an angle on them. I also don't ever expect that angle to change much, as it seems to be part of the structure of the plant to sit at that angle, since they do when they're dead.

That said, I also don't expect any of them to recover after watering...I just hope the plant does!

Sorry if there was any confusion by me posting 50 degrees - I was looking at the inside of the protractor. Using the outside, if you started at 60 degrees, isn’t a line drawn from the node to the petiole/leaf going to be close to 130 degrees? That isn’t 50% delta - it’s over 100%! Or am I just not getting this?

Sorry if there was any confusion by me posting 50 degrees - I was looking at the inside of the protractor. Using the outside, if you started at 60 degrees, isn’t a line drawn from the node to the petiole/leaf going to be close to 130 degrees? That isn’t 50% delta - it’s over 100%! Or am I just not getting this?
I refer you back to Maritimer's post of his pic here, but he started with and still has straight petioles. Mine never looked anything like that and don't seem to droop there with changes in moisture level in the substrate.

...I can't say I'm as enthusiastic as some others on your undertaking...I know a lot of experienced growers, and not one would subscribe to this treatment, but nevertheless, will be interesting to see how this science(stoner?) pans out for you...good luck!...cheerz... :high-five: ...h00k... :hookah: ...

okay
I’m gonna sit back down and watch
Me too! :nomo:
...I can't say I'm as enthusiastic as some others on your undertaking...I know a lot of experienced growers, and not one would subscribe to this treatment, but nevertheless, will be interesting to see how this science(stoner?) pans out for you...good luck!...cheerz.. ...h00k...
Thanks h00k! I have no reason to doubt Caplan's original research or Maritimer's consistent repetition of those results. In a tent I wouldn't even be posting about it because it seems quite cut and dried (so to speak!). But since this has never been done outside that we're aware of, nor on a plant that doesn't seem to conform to the petiole type of the plants used by both Caplan and Maritmer, we're all in uncharted waters.

No matter the outcome, the plant will be harvested and the buds will be washed, dried, and cured. The plant is still alive at the moment, and the buds are ripe enough that if they had been harvested when I started they would still have been worth something to someone. If I wasn't trying this experiment I would probably be cutting this down next weekend anyway, so if it's dead on Monday it's just a few days early!

...I can't say I'm as enthusiastic as some others on your undertaking...I know a lot of experienced growers, and not one would subscribe to this treatment, but nevertheless, will be interesting to see how this science(stoner?) pans out for you...good luck!...cheerz... :high-five: ...h00k... :hookah: ...
Ahoy @dr.h00k ,
This is exactly why we are doing this live. "I know a lot of experienced growers, and not one would subscribe to this treatment". When Shed has finished if you still think my science is some kind of stoner bro science I will simply smile.
This is all just shit I made up for entertainment, right?

ps all those experienced growers you know and none are getting this already? :(

...I don't think for a second, that you made this up for entertainment, as it is documented, but I am allowed to be skeptical, and voice an opinion...don't take offence to my opinions...they are just that...as stated, I am interested to see how this works out for shed...I have an open mind, and can consider real time results to sway my opinion...cheerz... :high-five: ...h00k... :hookah:

...I don't think for a second, that you made this up for entertainment, as it is documented, but I am allowed to be skeptical, and voice an opinion...don't take offence to my opinions...they are just that...as stated, I am interested to see how this works out for shed...I have an open mind, and can consider real time results to sway my opinion...cheerz... :high-five: ...h00k... :hookah:
this was my bad for being so thin skinned and I am truly sorry. your opinions are valuable and you certainly have every right to express your thoughts. my bucket list includes getting this amazing news out. and if you have an open mind please stick around for what will prove a very scientific spring is in the works for this very thread. we will be showing folks how to simulate an insect attack that we time one week prior to the drought. this process (bug attack/drought) I have been calling rezination. I am assured that the rights of patent will stay as closely held as I wish. we were in discussions to give the rights of patent to this magazine but the expense of it all is holding things up.

again please accept my apology :peace:

Absolutely fascinated by this thread!

I grew 3 plants outdoors this summer and several times I thought I would get sneaky and skip a water day. Each and every time 2 plants (Wedding Cake) would immediately let me know they did not like this at all. Droopy like almost dead. The third plant (LA Pop Rocks) just cruised along no matter what - barely a droop.

So I think genetics also come into play - correct?

Thursday is drought day 4 for the Sour G, so let's get to an update! Here is the whole plant:

A couple of branches so you can see the hanging leaves:

The leaves have absolutely no resistance to movement when you touch them. They're completely limp. That said, I have no idea if the petioles have drooped 50% because I neglected to mark them when I took the reference pics. :oops:

Here are some anyway with my high school protractor:

@Maritimer Is this really going to go 8 days without the roots dying and the plant with them?

Lastly, here are a couple of pollinated Candida flowers on flip day 58, 33 days post re-pollination:

I'd say I have bupkis, which in an interesting etymological turn comes from the word for a type of bean...exactly what I don't have here.

I'll be harvesting this one soon as it's slowed down drinking, and I will check it for seeds when I trim. But I'm pretty sure there's nothing but frosty flowers.

Been a couple of grey days here, but at least it's not raining! I hope all is well with you, and please stay safe. :peace:
Shed,
I have seen this angling reference now a few times and I know you are everywhere; but would you mind enlightening me a little-in a few words will more than suffice, what the purpose for it is. I'm not sure I have a good grasp on it. I have to go back sometimes pages to get on track with all of your information lol
:thanks:

Please bear with me one more time - now that I have annotated the photo..

I think we aren’t talking about the same angle. I am starting to realize that you (Shed) are talking about this angle, right?
9AB53CD9-7A78-4868-A927-5F387308D8E0.jpeg

I thought we were talking about this angle - from the node to the petiole/leaf connection - as shown in this markup
0C499591-F2DC-46C8-A0A2-C5858E617585.jpeg

Absolutely fascinated by this thread!

I grew 3 plants outdoors this summer and several times I thought I would get sneaky and skip a water day. Each and every time 2 plants (Wedding Cake) would immediately let me know they did not like this at all. Droopy like almost dead. The third plant (LA Pop Rocks) just cruised along no matter what - barely a droop.

So I think genetics also come into play - correct?
Thanks GB! I'm sure some varieties are more drought tolerant than others based on where they originated. And I've certainly established that some have petioles shaped in a way that makes it darn hard to calculate wilt angle!
Shed,
I have seen this angling reference now a few times and I know you are everywhere; but would you mind enlightening me a little-in a few words will more than suffice, what the purpose for it is. I'm not sure I have a good grasp on it. I have to go back sometimes pages to get on track with all of your information lol
Howdy Krissi and :welcome: to my perpetual journal! Luckily GDB just asked the same question about it so here's what I told him:
Easiest way to catch up is read this post by Maritimer on drought, and then this post of mine. That's the summary of what's happening!
Any and all questions welcome, including ones comparing Terpinator to re-re-distilled Everclear.
I am starting to realize that you (Shed) are talking about this angle, right?
I am now! Originally I thought what you thought:
I thought we were talking about this angle - from the node to the petiole/leaf connection -
Until Maritimer set me straight.

If it’s the angle between the trunk/branch and the stem right at the beginning of the stem, I don’t think that’s going to change - the stem there is too stiff/woody. That measurement doesn’t even make sense if it’s supposed to be a leaf wilt angle.

It isn’t my study, but I think that leaf wilt would describe the angle that the leaf itself traces as it looses turgidity. Like in the second photo.

If it’s the angle between the branch/trunk and the stem right at the beginning of the stem, I don’t think that’s going to change - the stem there is too stiff/woody. That measurement doesn’t even make sense if it’s supposed to be a leaf wilt angle.

It isn’t my study, but I think that leaf wilt would describe the angle that the leaf itself traces as it looses turgidity. Like the second photo.
I'm with you, but the diagram clearly shows the angle measured at the top of the petiole, and as I recall that's what Caplan describes in the paper.

And Maritimer's leaves do that at the petiole. Not mine obviously.!

Back
Top Bottom