I Ain't Afraid Of No Ghost - Seedsman's Purple Ghost Candy Comparative Grow SIP/SCROG

And EWC is worm castings, if you don’t have a worm farm of your own you can buy bags of it online or find a local source.

So for my first comment, whenever I see a problem I always back off on compost and any other form of feeding. EWC and molasses will never harm plant. Then all you need to do is watch new growth for any early signs of deficiency before starting with compost etc in your feeding schedule. Where most run into problems is over compensating in one direction or the other. Just relax, focus on what new growth is doing foremost and only make adjustments in small doses and watch. I’ve butchered many a plant over the years and have still gotten 4oz or more out of ones much smaller than yours is at so unless space is a big concern I’d ride it out and try to learn from it.
Wouldn't switching from Mega Crop to organics at this point in the grow be hard due to the lack of organic microbes?

Day 65 - Veg Day 45 of 58ish:

Todays pic:
IMG_3541.jpeg

Yesterday:
IMG_3543.jpeg

Still not looking stellar and mentally I’ve pretty much written this grow off. Just hope I can pull a few ounce of decent bud off of them.

I’m going to let it ride through the next 2 weeks and flip them. I’m hoping net will be full and they will be a little healthier by then as well. If not then oh well…

Looking at today vs yesterday they seem to be going in the wrong direction again.

I’m thinking it’s time to go away from promix and do something different in the sips for the next grow.
I'm just throwing this out there because I ended up having to do it in my grow. Have you tried just top watering them? Constant overwatering can cause nitrogen deficiency among other issues. I just think some plants don't adjust well to all that water or just don't want too lol mine didn't and believe I tried to get them too.

Wouldn't switching from Mega Crop to organics at this point in the grow be hard due to the lack of organic microbes?

I'm just throwing this out there because I ended up having to do it in my grow. Have you tried just top watering them? Constant overwatering can cause nitrogen deficiency among other issues. I just think some plants don't adjust well to all that water or just don't want too lol mine didn't and believe I tried to get them too.
Never used mega crop myself but anything with too much salt will kill off the microbes for sure. But if you’re backing off of feeding organic or not there’s no harm adding EWC with diluted molasses to help feed the microbes. If that didn’t help me I’d flush the plant till clean runoff then add the EWC and diluted molasses every 2 weeks max and monitor.

anything with too much salt will kill off the microbes for sure.
As I recall Emilya would reuse soil from synthetic grows in organic ones, and also this:

I read that to say that synthetic nutes won't give the plants a chance to use the organic nutrients, but the microbes remain in the soil.

Day 66 - Veg Day 46 of 58ish:

Todays pic:
IMG_3555.jpeg

Yesterdays pic:
IMG_3557.jpeg

Parts look better and other parts look worse…

Well they are still growing, they smell good but they ain’t purdy!!!

Going to continue the course and flip on day 58.

I’m going to take @Carcass advice and toss this bale of promix and pick up another from a different store. I’m going to the actual grow store this time. It’s amazing that we are legal now! You walk in the store and there is real live weed growing in the store!!!

Well is 93° here in Minnesota and that = pool time!

As I recall Emilya would reuse soil from synthetic grows in organic ones, and also this:

I read that to say that synthetic nutes won't give the plants a chance to use the organic nutrients, but the microbes remain in the soil.
That seems accurate, normally oxygen and microbes will convert P to P2O5 that the plants can use for P uptake organically. If synthetically produced using heat and chemicals like synthetics your plant will use that first as it’s freely available so my preference is to do it organically.

WooHoo! ❤️

Last night, I took a Deep Dive into your Journal from the beginning, with Fresh eyes, because the problems you are having No Longer represents Overwatering. I say that because the Physiology of the leaves no longer show it. Although, I am still not excited about your nighttime Humidity.

I have ruled out N deficiencies, because the Yellowing is from the Top downward. It looks like S deficiency, but that doesn't make much sense because you added Sulfur and consistently add Epsom salt. Cannabis does not need alot of Sulfur. Sulfur Toxicity would bring darker green leaves. A common similarity to the Sulfur deficiency is light intensity which I believe you adjusted and measured, if not, please double check it is not too high? Since the Lower fan leaves, and the Outer perimeter Uppers are darker Green, I would not rule it out before double checking.

If All that is within range, then my Best guess would be back to VPD (Vapor Pressure). Which can be ruled out by removing your intake fan and go passive, while adjusting the outage fan and opening your floor vents to prevent the tent walls from being sucked in. This will also regulate smell since all air will be drawn to the outage fan.

I see alot of help from other members helping with the Science of fixing the Promix... blah, blah, blah.. which I have NO experience since I use Cannabis specific nutes (hydro). Chasing symptoms with additives theory gives me a headache! And it also complicates the process of determining how the additives react to each other in the Full picture.

At this point, if I thought it was a Feed problem, I would try new Nutrients that don't need amending. BTW... I dug into alot of Promix grows and found most growers have the best results in the 6.0 to 6.5 ph range.

Summary... If it is not a light intensity or Feed problem, test the tent pressure theory? ❤️

@MedScientist thanks for digging in a little.

Overall I think I’m moving in the right direction, just not as fast as I was hoping but that’s my fault and I will explain below.

Although, I am still not excited about your nighttime Humidity.
I’m not either and that’s with my dehumidifier going, bottom vents open, intake and exhaust fans going. It’s as good as it’s going to get for me short of getting a secondary dehumidifier or a better one.
A common similarity to the Sulfur deficiency is light intensity which I believe you adjusted and measured, if not, please double check it is not too high?
And here is where it’s my fault. As I was just getting everything fixed from the previous issues I made some hardware adjustments in the tent. In doing so I moved the lights from my controller to a power strip that has one side that’s controlled by the timer and the other side isn’t. Then it also has this little switch on the side to turn off the timer completely. I checked the timer like 5 times to make sure I had it set correctly, but that little switch on the side is on the side facing away from the front of the tent and I completely forgot that it was even there. Well it was switched off and the lights were on 24/7 for 3-5 days. I would have to go look at what the DLI would have been for that but the lights were set for 16 hours on for a DLI of 40 when that happened.

So in short I hammered them with light.

Here is the adjustments I made:
Goal is 45
An avg of: 45.86
Low (outer edges of the net): 35.98
High(dead center) 54.76

I’m getting in the tent here in the next hour to try and get that spread a little better and lower DLI in the center.
Probably raising the lights as high as a I can and adjust power to get my DLI goal.

If All that is within range, then my Best guess would be back to VPD (Vapor Pressure). Which can be ruled out by removing your intake fan and go passive, while adjusting the outage fan and opening your floor vents to prevent the tent walls from being sucked in. This will also regulate smell since all air will be drawn to the outage fan.
So I took your advice on this a couple of weeks back and here is the current configuration.

2 floor vents open
Intake fan on at all times at a level 2 of ten
Exhaust fan on at all times at a level 4 of ten
Fans increase as VPD goes below the goal/set point which is currently 1.1. Intake fan maxes out at 6 of 10 and the exhaust fan goes to the max.

I have also moved a circulating fan so it’s stationary, sitting on the floor point straight up between the 2 plants.

1 circulating fan is blowing across the surface of the sips and another 2 that are blowing across the canopy.

All of those are on the lowest settings so they are just moving air and not pushing leaves around or anything.
Chasing symptoms with additives theory gives me a headache!
AGREED!!! Which is why this bale is going bye bye and I’m getting a new one from a reputable store. The other bale I got from some shady smoke shop.
I dug into alot of Promix grows and found most growers have the best results in the 6.0 to 6.5 ph range.
According to PremierTech

Using the Saturated Media Extraction test method (SME), PRO-MIX® HP® is formulated in a pH range of 5.2-6.2. Once the product is opened, crops planted and watered, limestone is activated and pH will reach 5.8-6.2 within 7-10 days.

I was finding my ph was 6.3 which really isn’t that far off of where they say it should be. But last grow when I got it down to 5.6-5.7 my plants thrived!

Day 67 - Veg Day 47 of 58ish:

Todays pic:
IMG_3566.jpeg

Yesterdays pic:
IMG_3572.jpeg

Noticing this as well:
IMG_3569.jpeg

I think that was from slamming with light?

So I just raised my lights in the tent and lowered the power on the middle light.

This is what it looks like doing a spiral pattern after first moving around all outside edges of the net

IMG_3565.png

This puts me at an Average DLI of 35.89 to a goal of 45. I think I am good with that for now.

Low DLI (outer edges of the net) is 28.86
High DLI (center 12 squares or so) is 43.15

I think I’m good with this as I know I’m not slamming them with light anymore.

They are still drinking and growing so I’m continuing the course!

I still need to get in and do some trimming, hmm maybe next weekend.
IMG_3567.jpeg

Buddies band has a show tonight. It’s an All Jerry Garcia show for all of the bands. So in honor of the Days Between I am going to be tossing these around:
IMG_3571.jpeg

Day 67 - Veg Day 47 of 58ish:

Todays pic:
IMG_3566.jpeg

Yesterdays pic:
IMG_3572.jpeg

Noticing this as well:
IMG_3569.jpeg

I think that was from slamming with light?

So I just raised my lights in the tent and lowered the power on the middle light.

This is what it looks like doing a spiral pattern after first moving around all outside edges of the net

IMG_3565.png

This puts me at an Average DLI of 35.89 to a goal of 45. I think I am good with that for now.

Low DLI (outer edges of the net) is 28.86
High DLI (center 12 squares or so) is 43.15

I think I’m good with this as I know I’m not slamming them with light anymore.

They are still drinking and growing so I’m continuing the course!

I still need to get in and do some trimming, hmm maybe next weekend.
IMG_3567.jpeg

Buddies band has a show tonight. It’s an All Jerry Garcia show for all of the bands. So in honor of the Days Between I am going to be tossing these around:
IMG_3571.jpeg
WooHoo!

I ❤️ the New light settings. This will tell us how much of our problem was due to lighting. I would expect to see stretch increase and upper fan leaves greening up.

The circulation fans also sound to be spot on, but don't be afraid to turn some up a little, leaf movement will strengthen the stems, and help with evaporation and transpiration.

You didn't mention if the tent walls were still being sucked in, but I would strongly recommend avoiding that. Even if you need to lower the Intake, open more vents, or even leaving the door cracked. Keep in mind that light leaks don't mean anything in Veg.

Your changes should help us pinpoint the contributing factors so we can further tweak, then start reintroducing the non-factors. By next grow, you should be Set, from seed to Harvest! ❤️

You didn't mention if the tent walls were still being sucked in
Ohh yeah no more inverted tent!

Yeah this is my third grow in a row that I’ve had these issues, been able to fix them each grow but I’m over chasing my grows!

I’m thinking positive that by the next grow I’m good from seed to harvest!

Ohh yeah no more inverted tent!

Yeah this is my third grow in a row that I’ve had these issues, been able to fix them each grow but I’m over chasing my grows!

I’m thinking positive that by the next grow I’m good from seed to harvest!
Sweet! ❤️

Sounds like a Fun A$$ time tonight! I bet you are gonna be pretty popular! 😍

Day 68 - Veg Day 48 of 58ish:

Todays pic:
IMG_3578.jpeg

Yesterdays pic:
IMG_3580.jpeg

Still cruising in the right direction! Kind of hard to tell in the pics but when I opened the tent this morning there was a noticeable difference for the better.

Dehumidifier basin was full so that got emptied for the first time.

VPD dropped as a result and it’s hot and humid here today. Inside humidity is 65% and that’s in the living room.

Started the trimming process on both of them a little and will get back into the tent in a bit to finish that off and feed them. I will grab some pictures then of what they look like under the net. But the net is almost full now and should certainly be there in 10 days time.

Ok trimming done for now. Dana got most of it.

Before:
IMG_3579.jpeg

And after:
IMG_3582.jpeg

Also new growth is looking pretty good:
IMG_3581.jpeg

I went in and thinned them out a bit as well. Got ride of a bunch of the half+ crunchy shit just make it better on my eyes if nothing else :)

Ok trimming done for now. Dana got most of it.

Before:
IMG_3579.jpeg

And after:
IMG_3582.jpeg

Also new growth is looking pretty good:
IMG_3581.jpeg

I went in and thinned them out a bit as well. Got ride of a bunch of the half+ crunchy shit just make it better on my eyes if nothing else :)
WooHoo! ❤️

How about a canopy shot to compare?

Great job!

Day 69 - Veg Day 49 of 58ish:

Todays pics:
IMG_3584.jpeg

IMG_3585.jpeg

And yesterday:
IMG_3586.jpeg

IMG_3587.jpeg

Still on the road to recovery :) they went through their reservoirs in less than 24 hours. I might need to go to a 2 times a day feeding schedule if they keep that up.

VPD didn’t hold a strong in the last 24 hours as I would like. I’m also still not happy with the overnight humidity levels. Once I flip I’m decommissioning the humidifier for the rest of this grow until it’s time to cure if it’s needed then.

Still held my VPD goal 94% of the last 25 hours.

DLI is where it is and I’m not increasing that at all. And once I flip to flower my DLI drops from the 43 it’s at to 25! And then starts increasing back up weekly to max out at 40 and then back down again to a max of 32 until harvest.

I worried though that with the way these ladies stretch and lowering the DLI that much that it will encourage them to stretch. Actually scratch that thought! Leaving my lights at their current height and power settings, simply by going to 12/12 gets me 25.89 so maybe a little high to goal but I’m ok with that!

Also wondering if it might be time to increase MC to 4.75gr/gal +1gr/gal of epsom. Everything I see says they are still hungry. But in saying that all new growth has light green to yellow tips so probably not a great idea.

We that’s it for today. Going to make up nutes for tomorrows feeding.

I may be wrong but I still stand by laying off the nutes for a bit, they look the opposite of hungry to me at the moment. Good luck! Note, it almost never hurts to back off on nutes feeds and it’s 100% easier to recover from a deficiency than an overage of any kind. I think most can agree with that, and if not please chime in.

Back
Top Bottom