Hempy SOG! Josh's 2nd Indoor Grow!

I don't want to come off as a d*ck. This is a really nice place to learn along with being a superb community of peers. I really enjoy being a part of this website. But, if I specifically say I'm not going to supercrop, two posts ago, that's the way it's going to be.

The Sea of Green technique of growing utilizes many plants placed in close proximity to others. This encourages the individual plants to concentrate their growth towards terminal buds/colas instead of lateral branches. This is where an Indica dominant plant shines.

After my last chop I gleaned some first hand data, albeit strain specific.

My first observation is that the 2 Liter Hempys took up less than a 2'x2' footprint in the flowering tent. They yielded more than one of the much larger former mothers; not less than the other former female-which took up the same amount of floor space.

The big difference, from my personal observation, is that the Hempys were easier to trim. The nugs were denser. No Popcorn (And I heavily defoliated all the plants). 16 manicured 2 Liter Hempys took less than two hours to trim. The former mothers (heavily pinched, topped, and LST'd) took around 8 hrs each.

I've always been about quality over quantity; always. I prefer to have fully dense nugs vs lots of popcorn. So, I'm still not going to FIM, Top, LST, or Super Crop this set of clones. Perhaps in the future, just not now. I'm solely basing this on my personal experience and the fact that any of these techniques (again, in my personal experience) is counter productive to what I'm going for.

Additionally, from what little I've been able to find about Holy Grail Kush, it doesn't like any of that.

I originally asked a question pertaining to veg time. Thank you John for answering that. I'm able to start investing some more $$$ into my setup. Even so, no trees, shortest possible veg time. It depends on how this round goes, but looking at the media used, veg time, and a hell of a lot more nutes required, I'm thinking my next grow will be back to the 2 Liters.

The HGK clones are <12".
Picture_2513.jpg
Picture_2503.jpg

The last NLB mother. She's awaiting a set of viable clones and then getting flowered out.
Picture_2444.jpg
Picture_2522.jpg

Not sure about the Bomb Seeds THC BOMB. She was the most hardy from seed, fastest rooting clones, and exhibited a lot of hybrid vigor. At this point I'm pretty disappointed from this strain. This is the best looking clone.
Picture_2572.jpg

Last night I mistakenly posted this in a strain review instead of my grow journal.

My camera is now officially broken. For some reason, on a far different plane of my personal thinking, my girlfriend lent the patch cord/charger for her camera to a friend. I didn't realize her friend is going on holiday to Ireland. So...no photos until I replace my camera.

Worked 50 plus hours this week at a winery. They are doing a bottling run. I fixed leaks in stainless steel tanks and pipes and kept the conveyer belts humming. Was thinking I'd get paid today. I guess we'll be done late Tues or early Weds and they'll cut the checks. I'm in need of: camera, perlite, and going to replace the ventilation ducts in the flowering tent.

Also found out today that I got hired for a new welding job-large stainless steel pressure vessels. If that happens, well, the sky is the limit. We'll be able to move into a better house. Might not have to be restricted to indoor grow tents. Also tentatively looking like I may be professoring three classes this fall at the college. One for sure, probably two, three if the state allocates the funds for a much needed third class.

The cloner is surgically clean. In the morning I'm going to fill her up with a round of clones. Wish I had a camera. The HGK clones are huge!!!. The THC bombs are catching up. The land race Afghani Kushs are plugging along as one would expect-strong and healthy, but not spectacular perse.

Yall enjoy the weekend. :420:

Welcome aboard cajuncelt.

It sucks being without a camera. There's one in my Ipod, but the screen is cracked and the picture quality leaves much to be desired. So, for a while, a person will have to bare with my descriptions.

My plan is to go 12/12 on Wednesday. The Holy Grail Kushs are nearly 2' tall. The only thing that is keeping me from flipping is the NLB mother. She needs to be re-potted before flowering out. Whenever I happen to get paid I'll get some more perlite and transplant her.

I took 6 HLK and 6 NLB clones two days ago. One NLB will be established as a new mother, the rest will go into 2 Liter Hempy Pots. I did some figuring last night. When I was running 60-something 2 Liters in the first grow, I'd use between 2-3 gallons of nutrient mixed water/night. The 3 1/2 gallon Hempys are averaging a gallon/each per night. My plan making growing easier on my body seemed to have backfired. Too early to tell for sure. May be worth it in the long run. But darn, that's a lot of nutes.

:peace:

You know, the only down side that I can see with the Hempys is the hand watering. It's not bad unless they are packed in SOG style, like I do. But there's no pumps, no chillers, no reservoirs. You just mix the nutes and water like a plant in soil.

Sometimes I get too much excess run off. I just sop it up with a couple of bath towels and rely on a passive dehumidifier.

Pretty simple with great results. I use Blue Planet Nutrients 3 part Elite. Corey makes it so simple, no guessing. I see lots of threads with guys using other products. No one really knows what ratios to use and they'll have like 20 different products. Not with BPN's. Simple.

Since I am going to be needing to make another purchase from Corey, I'm thinking about going to his Farmer's Pride Organic line up. Just give it a try and see if it makes any difference in taste. I'm a bit of a connoisseur. But honestly, I'm very, very happy with the Elite line.

Yes, sounds like a lot of work, but I wanna learn these nutes before I invest in a automated system myself. So, hempy pots seem to be the way the grow.

What type of watering system are you looking at? I've seen a couple off-the-shelf models that run off a 9V battery or are gravity fed. I really need to take some time and read through the Captain's top fed journals.

But that really takes away from the sheer beautiful simplicity of the Hempy concept. Still, my back is aching. My legs are numb. I still have to calculate and mule 8 gallons of water down stairs. Having a self watering system would save me a lot of daily pain.

What type of watering system are you looking at? I've seen a couple off-the-shelf models that run off a 9V battery or are gravity fed. I really need to take some time and read through the Captain's top fed journals.

But that really takes away from the sheer beautiful simplicity of the Hempy concept. Still, my back is aching. My legs are numb. I still have to calculate and mule 8 gallons of water down stairs. Having a self watering system would save me a lot of daily pain.

Yeah, I'm dreading the hand watering. I'm in the process of getting most of what I need for a top drip system, but again, I'll wait until this hermitvgrow is complete. I'm gonna grow in coco/perlite.
Your plants look great.

The original "Hempy", dude that invented the concept in the mid 70's, has moved to 75% coco-25% perlite.

I haven't used coco yet personally. I've seen many journals featuring it. I'm kinda thinking going that route with BPN's organic lineup for this next flowering round.

Last Friday I gave a coworker some of my Northern Light Blue. Today he paid me, what I consider, a very nice compliment. He kept saying the NLB was the best he's ever seen.

I'm glad my old 10 MP camera finally crapped out. I'm hoping the next camera can convey in two dimension what this medicine looks like in person. I'm hoping to better document the new grow.

Well, it just wasn't financially feasible to get a new camera. I was able to get the perlite and all the new ducting. Lights come on at 7 PM.

Once they are watered and new ducting is installed, I'll try and get some pics with my Ipod. I realize journals are boring without pics. Don't want to go and drive yall away from my grow.

Picture_280.jpg
Picture_2811.jpg
Picture_2792.jpg
Picture_2782.jpg
Picture_2773.jpg
Picture_2763.jpg
Picture_2752.jpg
Picture_2743.jpg
Picture_2732.jpg
Picture_2715.jpg
Picture_2722.jpg
Picture_2704.jpg

Neighbor invited himself for supper so I haven't had time to install the new exhaust ducting. That's pretty much what it looks like after Day 1 of photoperiod manipulation. I'm worried about the HGK's. The are exploding. I may run out of verical room by the time this is done.

:Namaste:

Added: Just wanted to mention, after looking at those pics, my plants look burnt or dried up. I just want to mention that those photos were taken from my Ipod. I didn't turn the lights down or move the plants for photo purposes. They are in absolute perfect health, without a single leaf blemish. I'll try and post pics tomorrow with an IPhone.)

I think this is a week into 12-12. The stretch is on. Sure wish I don't run out of vertical room. Starting to kick myself for vegging for two weeks. Also for not screwing in the Metal Halide bulb and using the High Pressure Sodium.

Average Holy Grail Kush. There's six of them.
Picture_3103.jpg

Average THC Bomb. Three of these gals.
Picture_3114.jpg

Former Northern Light Blue mother plant in soil. She's still a little shocked from being root bound but is recovering exponentially.
Picture_3135.jpg

Entire tent. Just not enough floor space in the dungeon to step back for a clearer shot.
Picture_3144.jpg
Picture_3154.jpg
Picture_3173.jpg
Picture_3165.jpg

I forgot to take pictures of the two or three Afghani Kushs.

My girl's friend should be back from Ireland soon with the borrowed camera patch cord. I apologize for the crappy pics.

Back
Top Bottom