Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - Haight Solid State vs. Hydro Grow LED

Is it just me or are those some skimpy, anemic looking buds at day 55?

Tried to think of other adjectives but it's late for me and I gotta go to bed.

I don't think it's going to be record-breaking, but until I weigh them, I just don't know.

The buds aren't the tightest I've squeezed, but they're not airy either.

I pull or cut off all fan leaves, then chop at root level and hang. I cut my inline fan back to 1/2 speed, and i got a tiny circulation fan blowing , but not directly on the plants. Try to keep room temps in 60s and rh at 60, ( i use a small humidifier outside my tent, close to the intake) for about 4 or 5 days, then let the rh drop for a couple more days. At this point, i trim the bud leafs, cut off the buds and put them in paper bags for 2 or 3 days, burping two or three times daily, ( I wait till stem inside bud will snap when bent ) ( if you want a dry weight, nows the time) then to jars for a few weeks. The reason i leave the plant whole is that buds dry slower, and taste better. The only time i cut buds off plant, is if i want to regenerate that plant. And leaving the fan leafs on to dry is inviting mold. my bro in law leaves his on and swears it makes the product taste even better, but i fail to detect the difference. And what a mess trimming dryed fan leaves !! I still can't understand why a wet weight is necessary ?? I mean, I don't care what it weighs wet !! After expermenting for awhile now, this is just the way i do it . I know you want to cross your Ts and dot your I's here, but I think you're worrying to much about a wet weight. Dryed trimmed bud weight is what i'm concerned about !! I can hardly believe how healthy your plants look at harvest time. Damm, looks like they're in veg. mode !! I figured that this grow would stretch out past the normal harvest time, but it seems to be about right. OK SS, it's just about over, and thanks a lot for conducting this experiment !! No one could have did it any fairer !! Now i'm gonna go check out Irishboys action !! :reading420magazine::cool::popcorn:

thanks bro ;)

Your method sounds like it produces a very tasty product. I just cut and pasted it into my ongoing 420 file ;).

I think every grow I do is going to be experimenting with something, because some of us have that mad scientist jones, so being accurate with yield #s is important to me so I can figure out what works and what doesn't.

There's enough myth and lore in cannabis growing to keep me going for a while, lol.

I used to diss wet weights also, but here's the article that convinced me that an immediate wet weight after chop is a more accurate method of reporting yield:

YOR - About Weights and Yields

For most of us the only meaningful numbers are the final dry weight. However, it doesn't hurt to collect the extra data. If you continued to do this in successive grows, who knows what the data might reveal.

I don't remember who requested plants total wet weight (sorry) but he called it the treasure/trash ratio. At this point I wonder if it's really necessary, theres obviously much less bud than plant mass as compared to other methods. I don't mean that as bashing LEDs but it seems if your concern is yield there are other methods. I would like to see a CFL vs LED grow, I have seen some impressive yields with CFLs but it would be interesting to see a comparison of yield, potency, density, taste, finishing time, etc....

You have done an excellent job SS, I can't wait to see what's next! :slide:
:peace:

I'm going to report both wet weight (minus 75% for moisture) and final dry weight, but the final dry weight will reflect the variables of how I trim and what *I* think "dry" means.

I'll probably keep doing it that way until someone shows me something better.

I want to use the method that's most accurate and consistent, and currently, I believe it's 25% of wet weight.

Even in my own harvests there's going to be significant variation that I can eliminate by using that method, so it's going to be helpful to me.

It's also going to show me whether I'm on the wet or dry side when it comes to reporting "dry" weight.

So yeah, I enjoy experimenting and comparing stuff, and it might be useful, but if it's just fun, that's cool too ;).

thanks slimm!

I don't remember who requested plants total wet weight (sorry) but he called it the treasure/trash ratio. At this point I wonder if it's really necessary, theres obviously much less bud than plant mass as compared to other methods. I don't mean that as bashing LEDs but it seems if your concern is yield there are other methods. I would like to see a CFL vs LED grow, I have seen some impressive yields with CFLs but it would be interesting to see a comparison of yield, potency, density, taste, finishing time, etc....

It was bmarduk made the request. It is a ratio and he's evaluating LED's, so the results would be pertinent and useful to him no matter what the yield or ratio turns out to be. It would add another data point to his research.

You have done an excellent job SS, I can't wait to see what's next! :slide:
:peace:

thanks man,

me neither!

I had a strain I grew for 23 consecutive months. When I first started out I would monitor the process by bending a main stem, much like everyone else. I discovered that this process is reliable but doing so did bring unaccounted for variables. My main concern was getting a genetically weaker stem or a stem that was weaker by environment. I soon came up with a method I personally trusted and it was simple, however, it was completely strain dependent. Medi bud was the name, and I found out what worked best was putting 126 grams of wet harvested bud on the scale and then waiting for the 126g wet weight to reduce down to 33g dry. At that point I put it into jars. Doing it like that for me eliminated a lot of unseen variables that could lead me to mold or shakey bud.

So I agree with you SS. It is a much more accurate method, not only for drying but documenting. It also makes everything a little more fun and interesting.

Thanks for the feedback botanist85.

It seems like 25% of wet weight is a good average.

It also sure would make it easier and more meaningful to compare yields and results from different growers if there was a more consistent method or standard.

There's still variables with that method, such as some of us let our plants dry out after flushing and some don't, so moisture content is going to vary on harvest day from that also, but it sure seems like a more consistent and accurate method than including individual trimming and drying preferences.

And it is fun!

DocBud just harvested a plant that would go 66g dry by 25% of wet weight, but he commented that the plant was already sort of dry and sticky by the time he chopped it, so he mentally adjusted the dry yield up to 80g.

So, he has the actual 25% of wet method yield, he has his adjustment based on experience, and he'll soon have another dry weight based on his estimation of when the drying is done and it's time for the final curing.

I dunno, I think there's a lot to be gained from doing it like that, both personally and so that we can share more meaningful numbers as a community.

Fantastic, i have just been reading up on harvesting in books but the info on here just continues to impress me. Cant beat multiple input from lots of experienced growers. I have a question in regards to the performance of the lights so far, and would appreciate feedback on what people would prefer. I myself have chosen to veg with led and finish with hid, and from general impressions i get, alot of people are thinking of doing the same. So if that is the case would it be prefered to have bushy plants like the HGL has produced, or plants like the HSS, Taller and what appears to be a bit less folage. So i guess the question is, if people were going to wack these under hid when SS flipped them to 12/12, would they have prefered the HSS or the HGL plants?

Does a plant with more folage have more potential than one with less?

And if it does then can this be a point for getting total plant wet weights?

Please forgive me if im asking stupid questions, my experience is as good as none. :reading420magazine:

Fantastic, i have just been reading up on harvesting in books but the info on here just continues to impress me. Cant beat multiple input from lots of experienced growers. I have a question in regards to the performance of the lights so far, and would appreciate feedback on what people would prefer. I myself have chosen to veg with led and finish with hid, and from general impressions i get, alot of people are thinking of doing the same. So if that is the case would it be prefered to have bushy plants like the HGL has produced, or plants like the HSS, Taller and what appears to be a bit less folage. So i guess the question is, if people were going to wack these under hid when SS flipped them to 12/12, would they have prefered the HSS or the HGL plants?

Does a plant with more folage have more potential than one with less?

And if it does then can this be a point for getting total plant wet weights?

Please forgive me if im asking stupid questions, my experience is as good as none. :reading420magazine:

That's not a stupid question at all. In fact, the correct answer to this question is the foundation of good growing.

Leaves and roots produce flowers. The more leaves and the more extensive the root system.....the bigger and better the buds, barring other factors.

However, getting total plant wet weight, while being a measurement of biomass, comparing one light to the other.....is not a measurement of quality harvest.

It just might be a good measurement of these lights vegging capabilities.

Again, the sample size needs to get a lot larger.

SS needs to do like 39 more of these grows, one after the other. The lights will last that long.....

SS? You gonna stick with LED's?

I dunno.

Does it take a weatherman to know which way the wind blows?

;)

This isn't going to be my last LED grow, because this grow doesn't represent LED lighting, only what these two specific lights were capable of.

I didn't give up on fluoros when I was growing with two shoplights in a closet ;).

Have you seen what T5's are doing lately?

I dunno.

Does it take a weatherman to know which way the wind blows?

;)

This isn't going to be my last LED grow, because this grow doesn't represent LED lighting, only what these two specific lights were capable of.

I didn't give up on fluoros when I was growing with two shoplights in a closet ;).

Have you seen what T5's are doing lately?

:roorrip:

low heat, low energy use, what's not to like. I have confidence after seeing your grow, that after minor tweaks the yield will be greater and very sticky.
thanks for the hard work, there are people who still drive cars that only get like 10 mpg
I choose one that gets 40 mpg, and I get to keep the extra money in my pocket,
soon you will be smoking quality buds on a shoe string, that is the real goal.

SO now I gotta go back through this whole journal and find all the hid pics that I missed?

I agree there must be pictures of it somewhere. Can't have an LED grow with out them.

Exactly mendobud.

For a model of LED efficiency, check out sfhaze's journal:

Haight Solid State LED Grow Journal

He is growing a steady supply of quality meds with less watts than most people use to light up their bathrooms.

That kind of efficiency is just as sexy to me as huge colas.

I am considering smaller plants and more of them, most likely clones. The bulk of the yield on my White Widow was the top 10". If one of these tents can be tweaked to produce a quarter pound or better, it definitely pencils out for a moderate smoker like myself.:roorrip:

I think if any grow style is going to get you 4oz per tent with one of these two lights, it would have to be a SOG with lots of small plants, or a SCROG, tweaked to the nth degree.

With the HGL light, it's very possible that two plants would have yielded more than four, because it would have covered two plants a lot better.

Each plant in each group wound up under a corner of their lights and the sweet spot wasn't used effectively for the entire bloom cycle, where it was needed the most. This was more of an issue with the HGL light, because of its narrow angle, but even with its wide angle, the HSS light's intensity also drops off at the corners.

On the other hand, I suspect the HSS would improve it's yield with a larger number of shorter plants. I'm extremely curious about how it would do with about thirty-six 5" square pots and 12/12 from seed or very short veg.

I think if any grow style is going to get you 4oz per tent with one of these two lights, it would have to be a SOG with lots of small plants, or a SCROG, tweaked to the nth degree.

With the HGL light, it's very possible that two plants would have yielded more than four, because it would have covered two plants a lot better.

Each plant in each group wound up under a corner of their lights and the sweet spot wasn't used effectively for the entire bloom cycle, where it was needed the most. This was more of an issue with the HGL light, because of its narrow angle, but even with its wide angle, the HSS light's intensity also drops off at the corners.

On the other hand, I suspect the HSS would improve it's yield with a larger number of shorter plants. I'm extremely curious about how it would do with about thirty-six 5" square pots and 12/12 from seed or very short veg.

Sorry SS, I was just showing you my new camera you inspired me to get and wasn't trying to cause any trouble. If you take the coffee can and poke some small holes all the way around and then put a nice size hole on the top. But before putting the fan back mix some ONA or cheaper knock off with some soil moist crystals or some cheaper knock off and some water. Mix it all three up put the top and the fan on top and you got yourself a cheap odor neutralizer. People will think your tent is the laundry room and it does nothing to your bud.
BTW I'm trying to guess what you'll get from the two but it's always hard when there are no comparison in the pics but I'll go out on a limb and say final dry weights of 74gr for HGL and 57 gr HSS.:peacetwo:

I'm extremely curious about how it would do with about thirty-six 5" square pots and 12/12 from seed or very short veg.

SS,

How are ya bro? Well I hope!

I like the idea of the sog/scrog style for a setup with these units, either of them. Any of the LED units actually, I think the scrog/sog setup is more than ideal.

I have only seen one massive grow, using 180W jumbo's, and they have like 50 of them or something crazy, in a huge room. So all of the light is being thrown all over, regardless of intensity, light spreads, and with as big as these areas were, it covered very nicely.

Though we all know not everybody can run such electricity, let alone pay for that many units. Commercial use, to say the least.

I think the goal should be to fit the tent/grow room/area with and LED that lights that area in whole. Duh, you think, but what I mean is if you have a 24" square area, if you could find a 24" square led housing product, or fit multiple units in there to cover the area most effectively. This sounds obvious, but this isn't always the case with many LED grows I have seen.

Currently using a 310 (345W) unit from HGL, it is 19" square, and I have it in a tent that measure 19Dx54long The ladies underneath this plant are just that, directly underneath. I don't put any ladies on the outskirts of the unit, because the light there simply sucks. The plan is to run the lumigrow on the opposite side of that tent, it measures 17" long. Both units will be away from the side-walls about 6", this means I will be able to place plants in a middle row, under a place where there is no direct light, but they may still do well because of the amount of LEDs (2), and the power within them.

I guess I don't really have a point here...lol

:nicethread:

Two cents I guess we could call this...

ha!

Peace SS and followers!

-Go Green-

Sorry SS, I was just showing you my new camera you inspired me to get and wasn't trying to cause any trouble.

The pic quality was much improved, but the subject wasn't ;).

If you take the coffee can and poke some small holes all the way around and then put a nice size hole on the top. But before putting the fan back mix some ONA or cheaper knock off with some soil moist crystals or some cheaper knock off and some water. Mix it all three up put the top and the fan on top and you got yourself a cheap odor neutralizer. People will think your tent is the laundry room and it does nothing to your bud.

Excellent idea, thanks! I love killing two birds with one stone! Instead of just adding weight to the can, I'll add weight that smells good ;).

The carbon filters are working OK, but they're a bit overwhelmed by this strain, so your suggestion is appreciated.

BTW I'm trying to guess what you'll get from the two but it's always hard when there are no comparison in the pics but I'll go out on a limb and say final dry weights of 74gr for HGL and 57 gr HSS.:peacetwo:

;)

Back
Top Bottom