Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - Haight Solid State vs. Hydro Grow LED

These are trich pics taken last night from the four HGL plants. Again, no standouts, they appear to be pretty much on the same schedule. It was a bit easier to find the few amber trichs, but most are still clear/cloudy.

PIC0172.jpg

PIC0331.jpg

PIC0192.jpg

PIC054.jpg

PIC0551.jpg

PIC0611.jpg

PIC0711.jpg

PIC065.jpg

A few more amber trichs here and there, but looks like they still need a few more days. I'm getting a pretty good sense of how fast they're maturing from doing all the consecutive checks, and it looks like maybe a week or so to go, so I'm planning to do the Clearex pre-harvest flush tomorrow.

I'll check the HSS trichs tonight and take some pics.

thanks for being on-board!

How did you post these high res pics? It wont let me do that.

Hate to say it....we don't have no stinking dispensaries, so I'm thinking of me. :grinjoint:
How about growing up on the cliff, where you had the sunami party ?? I talked with our ex-president of the old farts club, and he said to say hello to everyone. :reading420magazine:

These are trich pics taken last night from the four HGL plants. Again, no standouts, they appear to be pretty much on the same schedule. It was a bit easier to find the few amber trichs, but most are still clear/cloudy.

PIC0172.jpg

PIC0331.jpg

PIC0192.jpg

PIC054.jpg

PIC0551.jpg

PIC0611.jpg

PIC0711.jpg

PIC065.jpg

A few more amber trichs here and there, but looks like they still need a few more days. I'm getting a pretty good sense of how fast they're maturing from doing all the consecutive checks, and it looks like maybe a week or so to go, so I'm planning to do the Clearex pre-harvest flush tomorrow.

I'll check the HSS trichs tonight and take some pics.

thanks for being on-board!
Those trich pics. look like a trip on *** !! Wow !! :popcorn: Not much longer commander !!;)

They're not high-res pics.

They only average about 100kb in size, so uploading is no problem.

There is a max size for uploading pics, but these trich pics aren't anywhere near that limit.

It will let you post like a 960k image but then stores it as about a 250k image anyway...so they are two limits.

If there is a way to actually access the larger image it says it lets you post then I do not know how.

:peace:

Those are simply the best pics of trics I've ever seen. Have you tried against a black background if possible?

I wish I could rep you.

:thanks::peace:

Those are simply the best pics of trics I've ever seen. Have you tried against a black background if possible?

I wish I could rep you.

:thanks::peace:

thanks PG!

I tried it against a dark blue background, but it was sort of glossy and I got too much glare.

I'll try a dark matte background on the next set.

Were those pics taken with the new usb scope?

Nope, I've been using my Eyeclops for the pics I've been posting. Connecting the video output to a TV really helps with seeing clearly and focusing versus using the built-in small screen.

I have to play with the new usb scope more and learn how to optimize the pics.

It will let you post like a 960k image but then stores it as about a 250k image anyway...so they are two limits.

If there is a way to actually access the larger image it says it lets you post then I do not know how.

All pics are uploaded at the full size, but the default initial display is the medium sized pic.

After upload, scroll below the pic for the address to the full sized pic, and/or double click on the pic to open the full sized version and then copy that address.

:yummy:

So when setting sun uploads he gets this pic by default

PIC074.jpg

Take a look at the address pattern below, you can also type the format directly if you don't want to be bothered with the extra clicking and copying. Essentially, you just remove the word "medium" from the addy.

This is the medium default and large size pic address to the same picture ;)

420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/PIC074.jpg

How about growing up on the cliff, where you had the sunami party ?? I talked with our ex-president of the old farts club, and he said to say hello to everyone. :reading420magazine:

It's an open area and very busy, I'm afraid it won't do.:smokin:
You know, I got to get over to see him. I like that man allot. A true good dude.:thumb:

All pics are uploaded at the full size, but the default initial display is the medium sized pic.

After upload, scroll below the pic for the address to the full sized pic, and/or double click on the pic to open the full sized version and then copy that address.

:yummy:

I guess what I am trying to say is when you click on the medium image the image it links is not the size I uploaded. The size I uploaded was 960k (fought trying to get it in, 980k was too big) and I put it up that big for another member as he was using it for his desktop. I thought a high rez (was over 2k x 1.5k rez) version would of been nice for him. Picture is called Trippin on Lilbit.

Maybe it is my browser (firefox). I don't know.

You can get this cable by the foot at most mobile home/RV parts houses. It is sold by the foot. Buy however many feet you need then a connector kit. It looks like a braided cable, but is in fact a resistance heat cord. Simply cut the end and stick it into the encapsulated end piece and the 115 volts thermostatically controlled power supply keeps it regulated. I'm not sure at what temp it's regulated at, but it's setup to simply keep pipes from freezing.

Hope this helps!:peacetwo:

Evolution Of A GrowCab-From The School of hard Knocks
Grow Cab Ventilation Redesign-All About Heat

I agree with SFHAZE, that @75 degrees F you really can't go wrong. A 20 degree thermal gradient from top to bottom is a little extreme, especially since most of the active growth zone for the roots will be towards the outside and bottom of the pots. What I do to minimize the temperature differential top to bottom is this. If you're using a bottom heating pad and you have the room vertically, you can put the pad in the bottom of a tray, [cat boxes work great for small grows, otherwise some sort of plastic tub that would fit your grow with a depth of at least 2/3 of the height of the growing pot] put a few inches of redwood compost or other suitable material on top of the pad, then put your grow pots on top of this and then fill the tray up to about 2/3 of the top of the grow pots with your suitable material. What I used to do was instead of a bottom heating pad, use an agricultural grade thermocoupled heating cable. This has two advantages: 1) you can bury the cable midway up the pots with minimal thermal differential top to bottom as the heat flow both directions rather than just up from the bottom. 2) you get more precise control of temps provided you use the correct thermocouple. I like 75 degrees F. The only problem is that I have been having a hard time findings this type of cable lately. If anyone out there knows where you can get this item, please let me know. This system has to be tweeked and tuned, but once you get it set it is almost Zero Mantainence. To SS's point about strains ' That strain makes a difference seems very logical to me, and the strain I'm growing tolerates a wide range of temperatures.' This is the single most important variable in this equation given the fact that we have every thing from Matanuska strains growing in the proximity of the arctic circle to equitorial strains like The Dagga from Malawi. I think that a clinical trial using a single variable on identical clones under equal conditions would help answer this question for a single strain. You could have an unheated control and another[others] with root heating. SS, you could also test the heated room hypothesis with budding plants in the same way, i.e., a norml temp grow room [say 75 D] and a variable grow at say 85D, all other parameters being equal. I agree with you that I would rather use science that anecdotal evidence, but in the absence of that, anecdotal evidence is better than none at all, especially when coming from reputable growers.

So when setting sun uploads he gets this pic by default

PIC074.jpg

Take a look at the address pattern below, you can also type the format directly if you don't want to be bothered with the extra clicking and copying. Essentially, you just remove the word "medium" from the addy.

This is the medium default and large size pic address to the same picture ;)

Good to know.
Thanks for the tutorial!

Hey SS I was reading some previous posts and I agree hands down that less plants - smaller in size -is the key to LED growing. Only my opinion but led just does not have what it takes to grow large plants. You have to have the plants in the direct foot print in order to grow decent buds and that is only feasible with less plants.

If you think about it- only the better top half of the plant will grow some respectable buds with LED so what is the other half? Wasted space? I dont know but thats my take on things. MFGs will continue to market dubious claims but the wise man will pick out the clutter and make something work.

I don't know how well the 300w+ LED panels penetrate, so just confining my comments to the two lights on this grow, I agree that the HGL would most probably have done better with 2 plants, but the HSS might do better with a *larger* number of shorter plants. I think that might be the best way to optimize the energy from the Haight's 140 degree angle.

The great majority of LED panels are similar in design to the HGL, so generally speaking, I agree that less plants with LED lights may be more efficient, but the Haight panel is unique because of its wide angle, so I think short and horizontal with either LST, SCROG or SOG might be the ticket.

thanks botanist ;)

Hate to say it....we don't have no stinking dispensaries, so I'm thinking of me. :grinjoint:

As you should.

I am too.

Thinking of me, that is, lol.

I wanted to see first-hand if could save some energy with these lights and still produce an acceptable yield, but all I've tested here, as far as I'm concerned, are two examples of relatively low-wattage LED lights, not LED technology as a whole.

I think this grow will provide some valid data and maybe help people make positive or negative decisions on these two products, but to condemn the whole technology based on the results of this grow would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater, IMO.

I'm not really much of an early adopter as far as hardware, but I couldn't find LED grows that would answer my questions, so this grow will help answer my questions about current < 200w LED lights.

I'm sure there's lots of other questions besides mine.

I just don't see much about this grow that would provide support for broad sweeping LED conclusions or generalizations.

Back
Top Bottom