Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - Haight Solid State vs. Hydro Grow LED

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the point I got, go, is that it's important to have the plants directly under the sweet spot with these LED's.

I agree, but these lights are very different, and it's more important with the HGL. For the entire bloom cycle, the best part of the HGL's sweet spot has been shining down into the hole at the center of the four plants, instead of directly at the tops.

With two plants, I think I could have avoided that, and that's why I think it's possible that two plants would have yielded more than four. Those weren't the rules for this grow, but it's worth talkin' about.

thanks go ;)

DAY 58 BLOOM

Just took these about an hour ago:

IMG_59141.JPG

IMG_5915.JPG

IMG_5918.JPG

IMG_5919.JPG

IMG_5920.JPG

IMG_5922.JPG

IMG_5929.JPG

IMG_5928.JPG

IMG_5926.JPG

I'll take some trich pics later this morning.

thanks for following and have a great weekend ;)

looking good SS. . . they look like the same size colas as my better wheel plants, your's are slightly bigger maybe.

Oh! Man! Sun That lighter placed by the colas of either light is not good. :smokin: Very disappointing to me. Guess, I was expecting much more. They do have some time left, so let's see what happens. I think your idea of two plants in each tent is a good one and the yield would be better.
Over all, taking in price as a factor, these lights are not on my wish list at all. Even if you get 5 ounces for the time and money spent, not very good at all. Return on money spent doesn't look good to me.
However, lets see what happens at the end. I can see that in certain cases these lights would do fine for some situations. Here's hoping they are not going to continue they're stall.:reading420magazine:

First - this journal has been a true demonstration of great investigative reporting. You have walked a very tough line, and compared the products as fairly as I can imagine them being compared. You offered opinion or insight only where appropriate. As you said a while back you have largely "taken the grower out of the equation". If network news could be 1/10th as fair and investigatory as you have been - this country would be a far better place (prolly including more legal meds).

Second - I too have trouble relating to the smaller size buds. I don't care about what they look like or how big, but what the overall yield of the plant is. I know all this info is in the journal, but its scattered over many pages and I'm having trouble remembering all of it now. Would you mind summarizing very quickly - how many plants, sq footage under the lights, when they were seeded, when they went 12/12, and the yield from each plant or side.

Can't thank you enough. +Reps if it'll let me.

:goodjob::nicethread::peacetwo:

looking good SS. . . they look like the same size colas as my better wheel plants, your's are slightly bigger maybe.

Oh! Man! Sun That lighter placed by the colas of either light is not good. :smokin: Very disappointing to me. Guess, I was expecting much more. They do have some time left, so let's see what happens. I think your idea of two plants in each tent is a good one and the yield would be better.
Over all, taking in price as a factor, these lights are not on my wish list at all. Even if you get 5 ounces for the time and money spent, not very good at all. Return on money spent doesn't look good to me.
However, lets see what happens at the end. I can see that in certain cases these lights would do fine for some situations. Here's hoping they are not going to continue they're stall.:reading420magazine:

Interesting back-to-back comments from two of my best and trusted buds.

As Jeff Spicoli said to Mr. Hand, "if I'm here, and you're here, then isn't this *our* time?"

;)

"What is it Mr Spigoli...You on dope"

Oh lord SS you got me laughing my ass off here thinking about one of the funniest movies ever.

Now, if I can just find a copy of Porky's..."You want me to line them up so you can examine their talleywhackers?"...jesus, I gotta stop.

"What is it Mr Spigoli...You on dope"

Oh lord SS you got me laughing my ass off here thinking about one of the funniest movies ever.

Now, if I can just find a copy of Porky's..."You want me to line them up so you can examine their talleywhackers?"...jesus, I gotta stop.

mornin' SW!

"all I need are some tasty waves, a good buzz, and I'm fine"

;)

First - this journal has been a true demonstration of great investigative reporting. You have walked a very tough line, and compared the products as fairly as I can imagine them being compared. You offered opinion or insight only where appropriate. As you said a while back you have largely "taken the grower out of the equation". If network news could be 1/10th as fair and investigatory as you have been - this country would be a far better place (prolly including more legal meds).

Thank you, PG.

I do feel pretty good about having given these lights a fair shot on this grow.

It's not in the bag yet, but I'm very grateful for how smoothly things have gone overall so far.

This grow is going to answer some questions for me, not all, but some.

Second - I too have trouble relating to the smaller size buds. I don't care about what they look like or how big, but what the overall yield of the plant is. I know all this info is in the journal, but its scattered over many pages and I'm having trouble remembering all of it now. Would you mind summarizing very quickly - how many plants, sq footage under the lights, when they were seeded, when they went 12/12, and the yield from each plant or side.

I can summarize everything but the yield, cause they haven't been chopped yet.

The grow started out with 10 seeds, 5 in each tent in 2-gallon rose pots, planted on Dec 11. They broke ground on Dec 16 and were vegged for 5 weeks till Jan 19th, when they were flipped to 12/12.

The area of each tent is 8 sq ft.

I'm going to provide yield data individually for each plant, both wet and dry, so we'll be able to run lots of numbers.

The plants will be harvested individually at 50/50 cloudy/amber.

thanks PapaGreen!

yeah, but you got 60, lol.

They may still swell some, but they aren't that impressive looking right now.

The return on investment, however, is relative.

If your grow circumstance didn't allow you to use HID lights, how long would $400 last going to a dispensary for meds?

As you mention, there are situations where one of these lights would be a solution, although there are less costly solutions.

I think I did notice a little bud growth last night, but I had to look pretty hard to notice it.

thanks OMM, I appreciate your comments and observations ;)

Hey SS I was reading some previous posts and I agree hands down that less plants - smaller in size -is the key to LED growing. Only my opinion but led just does not have what it takes to grow large plants. You have to have the plants in the direct foot print in order to grow decent buds and that is only feasible with less plants.

If you think about it- only the better top half of the plant will grow some respectable buds with LED so what is the other half? Wasted space? I dont know but thats my take on things. MFGs will continue to market dubious claims but the wise man will pick out the clutter and make something work.

yeah, but you got 60, lol.

They may still swell some, but they aren't that impressive looking right now.

The return on investment, however, is relative.

If your grow circumstance didn't allow you to use HID lights, how long would $400 last going to a dispensary for meds?

As you mention, there are situations where one of these lights would be a solution, although there are less costly solutions.

I think I did notice a little bud growth last night, but I had to look pretty hard to notice it.

thanks OMM, I appreciate your comments and observations ;)

Hate to say it....we don't have no stinking dispensaries, so I'm thinking of me. :grinjoint:

Hi OMM, you are forgetting that this grow was done without any tweaking. Purposely so, to compare two light sources, not to max out yield.
Your comments indicate that you are dissapointed in yield.
Given the overall health of the plants in this grow, and Setting Suns obvious skill as a grower, I would expect a much improved yield if SS was free to tweak a modified grow style or even just a natural grow with freedom to do wht he felt was best.

You have the best light source in the world for your plants flower cycle. Understandable that yield would dissapoint you(or hid growers), but thats not the focus here.:peacetwo:

Just meant to be a nudge toward the correct approach to viewing the results here. I agree yield is going to be low.:Rasta:

Hi OMM, you are forgetting that this grow was done without any tweaking. Purposely so, to compare two light sources, not to max out yield.
Your comments indicate that you are dissapointed in yield.
Given the overall health of the plants in this grow, and Setting Suns obvious skill as a grower, I would expect a much improved yield if SS was free to tweak a modified grow style or even just a natural grow with freedom to do wht he felt was best.

You have the best light source in the world for your plants flower cycle. Understandable that yield would dissapoint you(or hid growers), but thats not the focus here.:peacetwo:

Just meant to be a nudge toward the correct approach to viewing the results here. I agree yield is going to be low.:Rasta:

Thank You Buddy and you are exactly right. Got caught up in the bud, ahh the moment.:grinjoint:

I need some bud right about now and my stash is still a week out. Looks like Im gonna resort to the good'ol resin hits......... disparate times call for desperate measures.

Thank You Buddy and you are exactly right. Got caught up in the bud, ahh the moment.:grinjoint:

So easy to do as we all focus on what we would like to see as a result. You may be slightly spoiled due to your beautiful back yard results. (where is the jealous but admiring smiley):peacetwo:

I don't know SS personally but I can well imagine how tough it was to let these plants grow without tweaking for best results. It must have been almost painful at times. My congratulations to him on his growing skills and his ability to remain focussed on the real point of this grow.

I don't know SS personally but I can well imagine how tough it was to let these plants grow without tweaking for best results. It must have been almost painful at times. My congratulations to him on his growing skils and his ability to remain focussed on the real point of this grow.

He's the man!

LOL, "Learning about Cuba, and having some food"...

Oops - I'm late to the party. Oh well.

I can summarize everything but the yield, cause they haven't been chopped yet.

The grow started out with 10 seeds, 5 in each tent in 2-gallon rose pots, planted on Dec 11. They broke ground on Dec 16 and were vegged for 5 weeks till Jan 19th, when they were flipped to 12/12.

The area of each tent is 8 sq ft.

I'm going to provide yield data individually for each plant, both wet and dry, so we'll be able to run lots of numbers.

The plants will be harvested individually at 50/50 cloudy/amber.

thanks PapaGreen!

I forgot to include that one plant was culled from each tent at the end of veg, leaving a total of 4 plants in each tent for the remainder of the grow.

just woke up from a nap and going to post the trich pics now ;)

Back
Top Bottom