Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - Haight Solid State vs. Hydro Grow LED

Hi SS great job and still a lot of work ahead, especially if you are gonna trim dried buds.
You can weigh them wet and then trim, weigh and hang and still end up with the same data. That'll allow you to weigh total mass, then trimmed wet bud, ending with trimmed dried bud. If you absolutley must know the weight of the trimmed fan leaves wet and dry, then toss them in a paper bag until dry, or 8 separate paper bags if it must be by plant. ( I would overmedicate my OCD until this task is complete, lol, if I was OCD)
for consideration only, you're the man thats gotta do the trim. :nicethread:

well......i suppose you're correct. But as an innocent bystander i can do that. Ss cannot do that yet, if ever.

I think we'll see how much he likes led's by watching his next grow. :peacetwo:

led scrog in shoebox by rising moon......

peace brother

I know we'll all do the comp using Setting Suns' results. I was just trying to point out, in a non confrontational way, what was stated in the first post page one.
The LED/HID comp may become The Neverending Story 4, lol.

peace brother

I know we'll all do the comp using Setting Suns' results. I was just trying to point out, in a non confrontational way, what was stated in the first post page one.
The LED/HID comp may become The Neverending Story 4, lol.

mmmmick until these things come down in price to be just another choice of light source, it will be a never ending story. Until these panels are priced at their true worth, there will always be volunteers willing to tell you how you wasted your money!

yeah essentially a normal chop but everything is weighed wet and dry. Maybe I'm missing a good reason for leaving everything intact?

I don't always explain clearly. Whether there's thc involved or not, heheh.

yeah, sellers have set us up with all their inflated claims.

I don't champion leds I just grow with them.

mmmmick until these things come down in price to be just another choice of light source, it will be a never ending story. Until these panels are priced at their true worth, there will always be volunteers willing to tell you how you wasted your money!

Exactly!

LED's, as advertised have the following benefits:

1.)consume less power
2.)much longer life
3.)no replacement bulb costs
4.)less heat

In other words, who in their right mind wouldn't get an LED? Give me one good reason why I shouldn't grow the same plants with the same results with less power, lower cost and less heat?

That sounds.....too good to be true.

Some strains have a high leaf to bud ratio, some have lower.

That's exactly what the person who requested the info is trying to determine.

It's not that important to me personally, but if I can provide the info, and it's not too much trouble, which it really isn't after the boot camp this grow has been ;), I'd be willing to do it.

It's more important to me to have an accurate wet bud weight and be able to report 25% of that in addition to the final dry weight. I like Mmmmick's suggestion, if I'm understanding it, and may go with that.

I wann know just one thing:

But is it the same thing that everyone else following wants to know?

But is it the same thing that everyone else following wants to know?

:smokin: I'd venture a guess that it's on everyone's list. But I understand what you're sayin...and I agree.

The way I view this grow is that you did us all a great service, at your expense. The whole point of this grow was to display what these lights are capable of, and compare them one to another.

Why do such a thing? Consumer education.

I'm a consumer, and I've been greatly educated by you, brother grower! I think I can speak for all of us in saying that your grow has displayed important, difficult to find, unbiased information about these two LED's, which seem to be among the very best on the market.

I've made up my mind about how one of these lights will fit into my gardening plans.

yeah essentially a normal chop but everything is weighed wet and dry. Maybe I'm missing a good reason for leaving everything intact?

I don't always explain clearly. Whether there's thc involved or not, heheh.

And I don't always hear clearly, whether there's THC involved or not ;).

If you separate things, you break the total mass down into smaller units and they won't dry at the same rate as intact, so that would throw things off a bit, but the propeller on my beanie is starting to spin ;).

I would prefer to see an accurate wet/dry bud weight more than an accurate wet/dry overall plant weight. I understand what you are trying to achieve with your original plan but the more pertinent data would be bud related. Faster drying rate of trimmed material wouldn't cause inaccurate results if all material dries to the same RH, albeit more quickly.

:smokin: I'd venture a guess that it's on everyone's list. But I understand what you're sayin...and I agree.

The way I view this grow is that you did us all a great service, at your expense. The whole point of this grow was to display what these lights are capable of, and compare them one to another.

Why do such a thing? Consumer education.

I'm a consumer, and I've been greatly educated by you, brother grower! I think I can speak for all of us in saying that your grow has displayed important, difficult to find, unbiased information about these two LED's, which seem to be among the very best on the market.

I've made up my mind about how one of these lights will fit into my gardening plans.

One of my motivations is consumer education, because I'm a consumer also, and I hate getting burned, but consumers have diverse needs, so I have to take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

For instance, how important is cost to someone who lives in a climate that severely limits their technology choices?

Or someone who needs a very quiet and stealthy solution that severely limits their technology choices?

The last thing I'm saying is that cost is not an important consideration, but my needs are just my needs.

I've never perceived of myself as being a proponent of these two LED lights during this grow, but rather as a neutral observer, and I've yet to comment on how I feel about how they performed, but when I do so at the wrap-up of the journal, I'll do my best to look at the issue from both my personal needs and globally.

If you came away with helpful info, whether yay or nay, is what's important to me.

I do appreciate your comments, viewpoints and that our friendship allows us to discuss volatile subjects honestly and without bloodshed ;)

I would prefer to see an accurate wet/dry bud weight more than an accurate wet/dry overall plant weight. I understand what you are trying to achieve with your original plan but the more pertinent data would be bud related. Faster drying rate of trimmed material wouldn't cause inaccurate results if all material dries to the same RH, albeit more quickly.

True dat, but I don't have any way to measure the humidity at home.

But I agree that accurate wet/dry bud weights are more important to me and the majority, so I'm glad for your feedback.

That's why I put it out there.

:thanks:

Is it just me or are those some skimpy, anemic looking buds at day 55?

Tried to think of other adjectives but it's late for me and I gotta go to bed.

Bear with me Mmmmick. It's been a long day ;).

The above involves separating the buds from the plant on day of harvest?
I pull or cut off all fan leaves, then chop at root level and hang. I cut my inline fan back to 1/2 speed, and i got a tiny circulation fan blowing , but not directly on the plants. Try to keep room temps in 60s and rh at 60, ( i use a small humidifier outside my tent, close to the intake) for about 4 or 5 days, then let the rh drop for a couple more days. At this point, i trim the bud leafs, cut off the buds and put them in paper bags for 2 or 3 days, burping two or three times daily, ( I wait till stem inside bud will snap when bent ) ( if you want a dry weight, nows the time) then to jars for a few weeks. The reason i leave the plant whole is that buds dry slower, and taste better. The only time i cut buds off plant, is if i want to regenerate that plant. And leaving the fan leafs on to dry is inviting mold. my bro in law leaves his on and swears it makes the product taste even better, but i fail to detect the difference. And what a mess trimming dryed fan leaves !! I still can't understand why a wet weight is necessary ?? I mean, I don't care what it weighs wet !! After expermenting for awhile now, this is just the way i do it . I know you want to cross your Ts and dot your I's here, but I think you're worrying to much about a wet weight. Dryed trimmed bud weight is what i'm concerned about !! I can hardly believe how healthy your plants look at harvest time. Damm, looks like they're in veg. mode !! I figured that this grow would stretch out past the normal harvest time, but it seems to be about right. OK SS, it's just about over, and thanks a lot for conducting this experiment !! No one could have did it any fairer !! Now i'm gonna go check out Irishboys action !! :reading420magazine::cool::popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom