Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - Haight Solid State vs. Hydro Grow LED

Hi Maccabre, welcome!

I think if I was going to use both lights together, I would have the HGL panel above the plants and I would side-light with the HSS panel in a vertical position.

I think that setup would maximize the coverage best.

SS:

I checked out some violator kush photos on google for comparison, there are some massive bud shots of course.

The buds on this grow pale in comparison. To what do you attribute the smallish stature of this flower crop?

some killer looking meds love to check it out lol they sure are what you want in your finished product hope you get the weight you want did I see an outdoor plant too keep the good work up bro

Man your plants look so healthy. Its really cool. I love the idea of a scrog. I personally don't have enough faith in my own growing skills to keep plants even, so I haven't even tried to grow plants straight up under a 600HPS. I just feel like any smaller light should be scrogged to maximize yield - if that is the intent. Clearly here your intent was to compare lights and you've done it. But I think if you grew a little scrog in there you could literally have wall to wall buds across the top.

:peace::rollit:

Great job brother. :thanks:

thank you Joe ;)

SS:

I checked out some violator kush photos on google for comparison, there are some massive bud shots of course.

The buds on this grow pale in comparison. To what do you attribute the smallish stature of this flower crop?

Mostly two things. First, the relatively low wattage of these lights is not going to produce massive buds no matter what, and second, the grow style was generic and not optimized for either light.

Optimizing the grow style would have increased the yield, but massive buds aren't going to be in the equation. There just isn't enough light energy to do that.

some killer looking meds love to check it out lol they sure are what you want in your finished product hope you get the weight you want did I see an outdoor plant too keep the good work up bro

thanks harryo!

nope, no outdoor plants in this grow, but I may be starting some soon

Man your plants look so healthy. Its really cool. I love the idea of a scrog. I personally don't have enough faith in my own growing skills to keep plants even, so I haven't even tried to grow plants straight up under a 600HPS. I just feel like any smaller light should be scrogged to maximize yield - if that is the intent. Clearly here your intent was to compare lights and you've done it. But I think if you grew a little scrog in there you could literally have wall to wall buds across the top.

I agree Papa.

After LST'ing a couple of grows, I'm sold. There are just a lot of advantages to keeping plants short and being able to control canopy height.

Kept things generic for this comparison grow, but for max yield, short and horizontal would work better, especially with the Haight light. The HGL light would have done better covering one or two plants instead of four.

thanks bro ;)

I bet if your grew one plant under each light you would have yielded more. I know this grow was not really about the yield but more so the better light and we will all find that out shortly. I just want people to understand they wont be able to grow multiple plants like they could under an HPS. It is just not in the deck of cards when considering using just one led light. Optimizing growth potential with one plant per light or multiple small plants per light is the true success with LED growing.

SS the plants do like real great though. Your a master at this trade and I applaud you for that :bravo: .

You know what this journal has taught me? The grower is the most important variable in growing. Being able to adapt is biggest part of being successful, regardless of the equipment one has to play with.

Call me Captain Obvious if ya want to. Sometimes I'm a might slow.

I bet if your grew one plant under each light you would have yielded more. I know this grow was not really about the yield but more so the better light and we will all find that out shortly. I just want people to understand they wont be able to grow multiple plants like they could under an HPS. It is just not in the deck of cards when considering using just one led light. Optimizing growth potential with one plant per light or multiple small plants per light is the true success with LED growing.

SS the plants do like real great though. Your a master at this trade and I applaud you for that :bravo: .

It will be interesting to see what the GROWLed guy yields from his grow. Its 1 plant. I think this is a better real world test, and I think this will yield better, but it will certainly be interesting to see.

You know what this journal has taught me? The grower is the most important variable in growing. Being able to adapt is biggest part of being successful, regardless of the equipment one has to play with.

You could not be more right and it takes many of us a long time to understand that. I am yielding almost 2x as much now with same wattage as I did when I started, and I have a long ways to go. Its threads like this that have helped increase those numbers. Not better gear.

:peace:

I get far more info from 420magazine than anywhere else. And these growers threads are where the learning takes place. True, we all need to learn and relearn the basics but this is real life experience, as told my many varied angles and circumstances, and every one of them has curve balls thrown at them that they must deal with, and that we all learn from.

As you should.

I am too.

Thinking of me, that is, lol.

I wanted to see first-hand if could save some energy with these lights and still produce an acceptable yield, but all I've tested here, as far as I'm concerned, are two examples of relatively low-wattage LED lights, not LED technology as a whole.

I think this grow will provide some valid data and maybe help people make positive or negative decisions on these two products, but to condemn the whole technology based on the results of this grow would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater, IMO.

I'm not really much of an early adopter as far as hardware, but I couldn't find LED grows that would answer my questions, so this grow will help answer my questions about current < 200w LED lights.

I'm sure there's lots of other questions besides mine.

I just don't see much about this grow that would provide support for broad sweeping LED conclusions or generalizations.

SS since your last grow I believe consisted of 150w and 250w low wattage HIDs and I take it from above you were trying to maybe replace that with even lower wattage LED's do you feel that is possible now considering that you could change growing methods with either? And SS anyone who condemns the tech has never tried it. And if they have it's because they were expecting the outrages benefits posted by their makers. Not the technology....126w LED @ $425 = lot's of bullshit talk from all sides 126w LED @ $125 = 10 000 new cabinet grow threads and nobody says peep shit! $$$ is always the ........

I think reflection is an important part of the equation. To improve results here I beleive would be to put both lights on one side and fill the one side up with six instead of four plants maybe. There's not enough light in one tent now to make it worthwhile it looks like.

This 4-plant, hands-off grow style handicapped both lights, but for different reasons.

The HGL's higher-intensity, narrow-angle beam wasn't used very effectively through bloom because I had to spread the plants out as they got bigger and bushier, and the HSS's more diffuse, wide-angle beam suffered in penetration as the plants grew taller.

It's going to take a bit more time for growers to learn the ins and outs of LED's and what grow styles work best with them.

I've gotten a pretty good feel for these two lights through the course of this grow and I think they definitely require some adjustments and tweaking of grow styles in order to do their best, as does every new technology.

thank you Botanist ;)

1000w helps, but it won't cover a multitude of sin ;).

I'd say in pretty much every one of my pursuits/hobbies/interests, the limitation is in my game, not my gear.

You're not slow, it took me several carbon fiber/boron/composite/graphite/unobtainium bits of gear to figure that out ;).

It will be interesting to see what the GROWLed guy yields from his grow. Its 1 plant. I think this is a better real world test, and I think this will yield better, but it will certainly be interesting to see.

Should be interesting. It's possible that his one plant will yield more with all of the light focused on it. I've seen a couple of grows with the HGL covering just one plant that turned out pretty decent.

You could not be more right and it takes many of us a long time to understand that. I am yielding almost 2x as much now with same wattage as I did when I started, and I have a long ways to go. Its threads like this that have helped increase those numbers. Not better gear.

Agree completely.

I get far more info from 420magazine than anywhere else. And these growers threads are where the learning takes place. True, we all need to learn and relearn the basics but this is real life experience, as told my many varied angles and circumstances, and every one of them has curve balls thrown at them that they must deal with, and that we all learn from.

You can only learn so much from articles and books. These journals are priceless learning tools because, as you say, they are real grows done by real growers facing real-life problems and challenges.

You look through the completed journals and you'll see a thousand different ways to grow MJ successfully. A grower's dedication and devotion to the craft is more important than the chosen method.

thanks BreakPoint ;)

These are trich pichs I took today from both groups:

PIC0043.jpg

PIC0064.jpg

PIC007.jpg

PIC0121.jpg

PIC0152.jpg

PIC0173.jpg

PIC0202.jpg

PIC0222.jpg

PIC0231.jpg

There is even less discrepancy in maturity between the HGL and HSS plants now. Lots of amber trichs in both groups, not 50% at all bud sites, but if I wait for that some bud sites will go mostly amber and potency will start dropping off.

Still planning to chop the HSS group tomorrow night and the HGL group on Saturday.

:thanks:

Hey SS,
My doctor told me the leaves and stems have a higher level of CBD in them than the bud does. She said to dry the leaves and stems real good and then crush them. Then you mix the crushed leaves and stems in a crock pot or double boiler with cocoa butter for an hour. Strain it thru cheese cloth. Then store in a jar or bottle in a dark place. It last for 2-3 months.

She said the CBD soaks into the skin to help with muscle pain and joint pain. It doesn't get you high.

Just tossing that out there since you're about to have some to work with. I bet it smells better than aspercream.

:peace:

Is there a link for this GROWL LED Grow?

Fire up the chainsaw!
:rollit:
:welldone:

Just a side question:

Does anyone know of any examples of a successful LED grow that yielded more than 1 lb OR yielded a solid g/w that I can see a journal of?

Thanks.

Just a side question:

Does anyone know of any examples of a successful LED grow that yielded more than 1 lb OR yielded a solid g/w that I can see a journal of?

Thanks.

nope.

I do think their G/W ratings would be pretty high, however. I don't see how you could grow a pound with these lights. Maybe with 10 of them....

But consider the cost! Also, judging from this journal, they seem to take a while to finish.

Back
Top Bottom