Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - Haight Solid State vs. Hydro Grow LED

You are welcome bro, and thank you man...I am on a post chop and trim scissor hash wasted trippy almost asleep stone. Lilbit went down fighting. :ganjamon:

You have a great night bro.

Hey SS,

I just posted an update in my old journal. My 4 plants have been tracking along with yours, and I think mine look pretty good. Mine are flowering with just the 90W light and are packed together a lot closer then yours. My cabinet is about half your size and has half you light, but I think my 4 plants compare pretty close to yours.

I was just over there and commented on how similar your current Mazars to my VK's. It's uncanny.

Take a look for yourself, I think you could have grown at least 2 more plants - at least on the HSS side - because of it's wide coverage and only have a very small drop off in yield per plant. I'm sure you would agree that you could have vegged several more plants with the HSS light.

I think 4 plants, unless it's a 12/12 from seed or very short veg grow, is the max for one of my tents.

VK also has huge fan leaves, and that also makes things kinda tight.

I currently am seeing three ways to grow efficiently in my tents.

1) 2 plants in large 4-5 gallon pots with LST to control canopy height.

2) 3-4 plants in medium 2-3 gallon pots with LST to control canopy height.

3) 25-35 plants in 5" pots with either 12/12 from seed or a short 1-2 week veg.

I don't like the grow style I chose for this grow at all because the plants are dictating the canopy height instead of me. Why should I let them do that?

From the wide pattern the HSS light throws, I think it could veg wall-to-wall in my tents, so that would be a max of 36 5" square pots. That's an efficient use of energy, but it will become a more attractive option for vegging when costs come down.

Also, I was really hoping to see much fatter buds with the higher powered HSS light, but it just seems to be keeping up with what I see (maybe). I don't get that, maybe they will keep swelling up, but maybe it's something like the temperature - I have the roots warmed by the lower light.

After the discussion of temps/yields, I did raise the temp in the garage to 75-80, and temps in the tents have been averaging around 78. Soil temps have been a steady 76, so the plants haven't been cold.

I'm switching to larger pots and about half perlite - thanks for that, I'll see if I can even improve more....

Those two changes should improve things, and you might want to consider LST also. Your Mazars are at 24", and I think your Haight light would penetrate them better if they were at around 16" or so, and more spread out instead of vertical. With your cab, I would grow 2 plants like that max or you'll run out of horizontal space, but I think your yield would go up, even with just 2 plants.

thanks bro ;)

great closeups SS.

I know you're waiting for 50/50 amber cloudy, but what you see right now is nearing how I like it. 50-60% cloudy, 20-30% clear, 10-20% amber. I like the cerebral effects that way. . . maybe another week to hit that point, so if you're going for 50/50 maybe 2 weeks+??

i wish i could take closeups like that though, they do look really helpful. i've had my eye on a really nice usb microscope for a while now, just need the extra cash first.

Actually, the great majority of the trichs in those pics are clear. Looking at them straight down makes them look cloudy, but the ones on the leaf edge better represent what's going on.

From what I'm seeing now, both trichs and just in general, I think they're going to go at least the full 65 days, so around your above estimate of 2 weeks or so more. I'm going to be looking at trichs every day now to get a better idea of how fast they're changing.

The digital scopes are very helpful to me and give me a lot more confidence in what I'm seeing. I'm still finding the loupe handy for taking more general looks and both upper and lower buds, etc.

thanks bro, not much longer ;)

We've learned a lot from this grow.

In retrospect, I think both companies should have agreed to the same terms as regards providing their products before the grow.

Funny and thoughtful post MH, thank you ;)
They might get more on ebay, but ebay is not doing 4 months of free research. All lights should be donated, and really, they should be paying either SS or 420 mag, or both, for that research. Just my opinion !! I mean, where are they gonna get this much exposure, for free ?? Evidently, neither of these lights have had much testing, or neither would send them here , to fail !! And on top of all that, SS will not get a lot of smoke for his troubles !! Can't wait for the weather to break, so I can use that big light in the sky !! For free !! :surf::popcorn:

They might get more on ebay, but ebay is not doing 4 months of free research. All lights should be donated, and really, they should be paying either SS or 420 mag, or both, for that research. Just my opinion !! I mean, where are they gonna get this much exposure, for free ?? Evidently, neither of these lights have had much testing, or neither would send them here , to fail !! And on top of all that, SS will not get a lot of smoke for his troubles !! Can't wait for the weather to break, so I can use that big light in the sky !! For free !! :surf::popcorn:

Here's the next LED that needs to be tested:

The Stealth Grow LED line:
SG 1202

* Wattage — 1,200 watts;
actual power draw 586 watts*
* 3 amps @ 220V; 6.5 amps @ 110V
* Spectrum of Light - 455-475nm, 620-630nm, 660nm and bright white
* Effective Area of Coverage — 4' x 8'
* Lifespan — 50,000-100,000 hours
* Dimensions — 13" x 36" x 3.5"
* Number of LEDs — 576
* LED Chip Power — 2 Watt Hi-power LED Chips**

The SG 1202 was designed to be our product for commercial growers. It contains twice the number of LED bulbs as the SG 602 and delivers serious intensity per square inch. Our 2-watt chips make all the difference!

Nearly 3 thousand bucks.
I bet they're still looking for the 1st. buyer also !! Damm !! I can buy a good used car instead !! Why do they say it puts out 1200 watts, when it only draws 560 ?? If it draws 560, then it's a 560 watt light. No ?? Either way, i'd like to see them all tested, as that's the only way we will know !! :surf:

I bet they're still looking for the 1st. buyer also !! Damm !! I can buy a good used car instead !! Why do they say it puts out 1200 watts, when it only draws 560 ?? If it draws 560, then it's a 560 watt light. No ?? Either way, i'd like to see them all tested, as that's the only way we will know !! :surf:

The advertised wattage vs. actual draw was confusing to me as well.
I'll not hijack the journal again.

Hey Doc,

Something smells fishy. Sounds kinda like Jack and the Beanstalk to me.
Maybe Ronco is switching from selling kitchen knives to LED grow lights?

...But wait, if you order now we'll send you TWO LED grow light systems plus the mighty Ginzu knife collection...

Please keep us posted.

Here's the next LED that needs to be tested:

The Stealth Grow LED line:
SG 1202

* Wattage — 1,200 watts;
actual power draw 586 watts*
* 3 amps @ 220V; 6.5 amps @ 110V
* Spectrum of Light - 455-475nm, 620-630nm, 660nm and bright white
* Effective Area of Coverage — 4' x 8'
* Lifespan — 50,000-100,000 hours
* Dimensions — 13" x 36" x 3.5"
* Number of LEDs — 576
* LED Chip Power — 2 Watt Hi-power LED Chips**

The SG 1202 was designed to be our product for commercial growers. It contains twice the number of LED bulbs as the SG 602 and delivers serious intensity per square inch. Our 2-watt chips make all the difference!

The one irish is testing is using 3 watt chips and if you have ever seen one of these panels then I would guess from the size this thing would maybe cover a 2x4 area not 4x8. Meaning $6000 to actually cover that space. Then if you have a space that big with LED's you are going to have to heat it to grow half the year. So who has the ego, that's going to show us all? or they'll figure out the amount of sales they can make while 420 does a grow for them. Sign them up guys!.......lmao:peacetwo:

The one irish is testing is using 3 watt chips and if you have ever seen one of these panels then I would guess from the size this thing would maybe cover a 2x4 area not 4x8. Meaning $6000 to actually cover that space. Then if you have a space that big with LED's you are going to have to heat it to grow half the year. So who has the ego, that's going to show us all? or they'll figure out the amount of sales they can make while 420 does a grow for them. Sign them up guys!.......lmao:peacetwo:

No BS....a buddy just sold 4 of these today! He just opened his hydro store and some dude walked in off the street last week and asked if he'd order him 4 of them, for a discount.

My buddy did the math and sold 4 of these lights for a 200 dollar markup per light.....which was still a bargain compared to retail....and the guy walked out with them an hour before I got there. I was hoping to see the lights.

I'm told they were so damn bright that people got dizzy trying to look at them.

Do they work? I have no idea.

It may be bright but it looks to be missing some key parts of the spectrum.

No BS....a buddy just sold 4 of these today! He just opened his hydro store and some dude walked in off the street last week and asked if he'd order him 4 of them, for a discount.

My buddy did the math and sold 4 of these lights for a 200 dollar markup per light.....which was still a bargain compared to retail....and the guy walked out with them an hour before I got there. I was hoping to see the lights.

I'm told they were so damn bright that people got dizzy trying to look at them.

Do they work? I have no idea.

Here we go again...LMAO You know, I've been in at least a half dozen hydro stores up here and no one carries them and as soon as you bring them up the smirks come out! Hey doc I know where you can get some good water real cheap!lol

HGL TRICHOMES DAY 54 BLOOM

These are trich pics from all four HGL plants I took today. All the plants turned out to be at approximately the same maturity, so I didn't label them individually for each plant.

Honestly, I didn't expect to see what I'm seeing.

There hasn't been a noticeable second wind yet in either group, but the trichs on the HGL plants, which seem to be more mature in general than the HSS plants, are maybe 60/40 clear/cloudy, or at most 50/50. I expected some amber trichs, but these pics accurately represent what's going on, and I couldn't find any.

If I was going by percentage of red pistils, I would have chopped the HGL plants over a week ago, but the trichs are telling a different story.

The only plant that's had noticeable bud growth in the last few days is the HSS 2 sativa pheno. This plant doesn't have one red pistil, and the narrow buds have continued to slowly swell, but all of the other plants in both groups aren't doing much.

It's confusing, but I'll keep doing regular trich checks and posting the results.

I'm going to check trichs on the HSS plants tomorrow and update the journal.

PIC0091.jpg

PIC0112.jpg

PIC0131.jpg

PIC014.jpg

PIC0191.jpg

PIC022.jpg

PIC023.jpg

PIC025.jpg

PIC027.jpg

PIC0311.jpg

PIC032.jpg

PIC033.jpg

Not all the pics are pretty, but I'm just trying to give an idea of where things are at in the HGL tent.

thanks for following ;)

Here we go again...LMAO You know, I've been in at least a half dozen hydro stores up here and no one carries them and as soon as you bring them up the smirks come out! Hey doc I know where you can get some good water real cheap!lol

Before killing the fatted calf, I'd send a sample of that water to a reputable lab for testing, looking especially for heavy metals, hormones, toxic runoff, etc.

SS, as we wind this down to the end, I want to thank you again for your tireless work and dispassionate review process. I've marveled from the beginning how you dealt with haters, baiters and pimps. The information you've put out here is an invaluable resource in showing what one can expect from a relatively low powered LED panel.

Whether he changed your mind or reinforced your beliefs I believe we all owe the man a debt of gratitude, and towards that I'm going to do something I've never done before and can't imagine doing again. I'm calling on every single person who reads this journal, to send SS rep. He's earned it and since no one here gets paid, it's how we can show our gratitude to him as a community.

Awesome job, Brother. Can't wait to see the final results.

SS, as we wind this down to the end, I want to thank you again for your tireless work and dispassionate review process. I've marveled from the beginning how you dealt with haters, baiters and pimps. The information you've put out here is an invaluable resource in showing what one can expect from a relatively low powered LED panel.

Whether he changed your mind or reinforced your beliefs I believe we all owe the man a debt of gratitude, and towards that I'm going to do something I've never done before and can't imagine doing again. I'm calling on every single person who reads this journal, to send SS rep. He's earned it and since no one here gets paid, it's how we can show our gratitude to him as a community.

Awesome job, Brother. Can't wait to see the final results.

I agree. +rep for both of you.....but I'm locked out on rep.

Back
Top Bottom